ETS Centennial Celebration

A. Wong

• 4 weeks later...
I heard that there is another set of pins with a trolley, LRV and probably a low floor.

This is probably that boxed set shown on the website and the interior ad. The City Store doesn't have them in yet. The center pin (in the boxed set) is the regular logo (with the four vehicles on it) and then the other pins probably have one of each of those vehicles. They are not too clear (even with my glasses on) but looks like (from left to right) a LF, a GM body, an LRV and a streetcar.

I don't know how ashton's mom got those prices because city store prices are as follows

Pin $1.65

The price tag on my lapel pin that I bought from the City Store reads $1.73.

The GM might be a Brill, if they are the same vehicles on the pin.

Could be. I looked at the poster again, and what looked like a GM New Look body (second vehicle from the left) the first time around (on the pin) actually looked like an Old Look to me (on the poster) the second time around.

• Board Admin

Jacking up the prices again I guess...

Yeah the bus on the cap looks like an Old Look actually.

There was an article in the Sun, "ETS turns 100". Of course their site sucks and you can't find these things easily. Not to mention the section that had it (www.edmontonsun.com/Autonet) is not updated for the 22nd yet.

I just noticed that they finally removed the prices of the items from the ETS website. I know i told them a couple times now in the city store that ETS says these items are avaialble for so much at the city store. they must have had a few more people bitchin about it too.

Jacking up the prices again I guess...

Yeah the bus on the cap looks like an Old Look actually.

There was an article in the Sun, "ETS turns 100". Of course their site sucks and you can't find these things easily. Not to mention the section that had it (www.edmontonsun.com/Autonet) is not updated for the 22nd yet.

Here's a copy of the article.

Sun_Article.jpg

Wow. You get to ride the same old dirty GM diesel bus you've been riding on the tour for the past few years! YAY! And you get either the 1957 or the 1963, 6 years apart. Where's the variety?

I hope they get some more buses for the tours this year. To me, riding a 1963 GM was not much different than riding a 1973 GM. I wasn't impressed.

Wow. You get to ride the same old dirty GM diesel bus you've been riding on the tour for the past few years! YAY! And you get either the 1957 or the 1963, 6 years apart. Where's the variety?

I hope they get some more buses for the tours this year. To me, riding a 1963 GM was not much different than riding a 1973 GM. I wasn't impressed.

It's actually a 1958 and a 1960.

3461-3470 18 GMDD/Edmonton Transit System (AB) 424-433 12/58

In fact, they are December 1958. No where close to 1957.

That's ETS and/or media for you.

At least they could get the dates right.

They don't share the passion for Transit that some of the members have.

Have often will some of us celebrate an 100th anniversay?

This was a perfect time and opportunity to get external funding to restore the fleet in working order.

Missed the boat again.

And, continuing on the theme of ETS publications that need to be proofread, I offer a couple gems from the March In Transit. First regarding the community conference

If you’d like to participate please see the ETS Trip Planner or call 780-496-1611.

The conference is free, but you must pre-register to attend – space is limited.

Would that be the ETS trip planner or website you have to visit to register for the community conference? I know ETS seems to love putting shameless plugs for the trip planner wherever they can, but this is going too far.

And then, about the NAIT LRT plan.

BOB is Wondering ...

The Transportation Department is working on plans to build a new LRT line from Downtown to NAIT.

The concept plan identifies a recommended LRT route traveling from Churchill LRT Station to NAIT. The recommended alignment includes three stations to serve MacEwan City Centre Campus, the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Kingsway Garden Mall and NAIT.

The alignment and station locations are still being reviewed and will be presented to City Council for approval this summer.

That headline doesn't make any sense, unless there's a new set of BOB rules for how to behave at open houses and public hearings.

(Rule 1: Do Not question our plan and any problems you may find with it...)

And, continuing on the theme of ETS publications that need to be proofread, I offer a couple gems from the March In Transit. First regarding the community conference

Would that be the ETS trip planner or website you have to visit to register for the community conference? I know ETS seems to love putting shameless plugs for the trip planner wherever they can, but this is going too far.

And then, about the NAIT LRT plan.

That headline doesn't make any sense, unless there's a new set of BOB rules for how to behave at open houses and public hearings.

(Rule 1: Do Not question our plan and any problems you may find with it...)

Perhaps they are hoping that everyone is so BOB-ified by now that BOB will grab their attention. Hold on while BOB checks the Trip Planner on how to get to the Community Conference by LRT. :P

Coincidentally, Shanghai also celebrates 100 years of public transit service in 2008. At 5:30 on March 5th 1908, the first tram operated by British Electric began operation from Jing'an Buddist Monastery to the Bund (Shanghai's waterfront) along the sumptuous main street of Shanghai, the Nanking Road. At 4:30 on August 15th 1963, this very first tram line was converted to trolley-bus operation as route 20 which continued to today.

Here is an SWB5105KGP air-conditioned trolley coach wrapped in centennial celebration ad.

Centennial_wrap_20.jpg

Applying stickers to Transit vehicles is a good idea to promote the anniversary but wrapping a vehicle provides more exposure and is a better idea.

That's big city thinking.

We should have wrapped some vehicles like 244.

If we refurnish anymore trollies, instead of applying the blue strip, we shall wrap some for next years anniversary of 70 years of trolley service.