York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

one other question: How reliable is the "Next bus" system for YRT/VIVA?

Are you referring to the next bus display screens?? That show when the next bus is due?? Both YRT and Viva are ok. The problems lie when the GPS system on the bus is not working properly and then the next bus display screen gets "confused" so to say. I've seen it happen to both YRT AND Viva display times.

If you are referring to the "next bus" option on the website, which tells you the time of the next bus at the stop number you indicate, that is pretty much 100% accurate as it pulls the information directly from the "headway sheets", which is basically the main schedule information directly from head office.

Are you referring to the next bus display screens?? That show when the next bus is due?? Both YRT and Viva are ok. The problems lie when the GPS system on the bus is not working properly and then the next bus display screen gets "confused" so to say. I've seen it happen to both YRT AND Viva display times.

If you are referring to the "next bus" option on the website, which tells you the time of the next bus at the stop number you indicate, that is pretty much 100% accurate as it pulls the information directly from the "headway sheets", which is basically the main schedule information directly from head office.

all of the above. Right now, I have two YRT/VIVA maps as my "souvenirs" plus a pink YRT/VIVA transfer and my one-zone ticket that I bought from the one-ride machines at Finch Terminal - plus the receipt (I use my credit card to pay for the fare).....

all of the above. Right now, I have two YRT/VIVA maps as my "souvenirs" plus a pink YRT/VIVA transfer and my one-zone ticket that I bought from the one-ride machines at Finch Terminal - plus the receipt (I use my credit card to pay for the fare).....

Ok. just remember the "next bus" option on the website is "scheduled time".. not REAL time (at least not yet). Where as the next bus display screens are "realtime".

Also... you mentioned an AA system you could barley hear.. which bus was it? All 4 seemed ok, and I'm positive it wasn't 818 as that one is TTC volume.

I don't recall this being mentioned.

But the next bus display screens for YRT routes ARE active at Finch Station. (although they seem to be a little glitched, the "due" bus disappears off the screen before it's left the platform. At least from my observations anyways, although the 98/99 platform seemed to work ok.)

Ok. just remember the "next bus" option on the website is "scheduled time".. not REAL time (at least not yet). Where as the next bus display screens are "realtime".

Also... you mentioned an AA system you could barley hear.. which bus was it? All 4 seemed ok, and I'm positive it wasn't 818 as that one is TTC volume.

LOL I can NEVER hear the AA on YRT buses.

Except this one time on 578, the Automated Announcements were louder than VIVA and "Crystal :D" Clear. O_O I don't get it, do drivers have the ability to put the AA on full blast or do they choose not to?

LOL I can NEVER hear the AA on YRT buses.

Except this one time on 578, the Automated Announcements were louder than VIVA and "Crystal :D " Clear. O_O I don't get it, do drivers have the ability to put the AA on full blast or do they choose not to?

AA volume is set by INIT. The only thing drivers can do is choose to completely "mute" it, but they don't have volume control to make it louder (or turn it down, it's either on or off).

I don't recall this being mentioned.

But the next bus display screens for YRT routes ARE active at Finch Station. (although they seem to be a little glitched, the "due" bus disappears off the screen before it's left the platform. At least from my observations anyways, although the 98/99 platform seemed to work ok.)

On a side note, route 5's work fine as well, and 77 displays ONLY YRT trips. I wonder if they post Brampton trips as scheduled...

Every time I've written up a volume related issue it's been documented (and you know personally that a few buses have had good volume increases because of my complaints). I wonder if it's the complaint process at Can-Ar that causes the "no-fix" issue.? But also due to the fact that sometimes they are not technically able to increase the volume by that much, and/or because when they set the volume on the bus, the engine is usually turned off and there is no AC or heat running at the time.

I suggest any people on here that have a problem with the volume on the bus, send an email directly to YRT indicating the bus number where the announcements could barley be heard., they will most likely listen to you more than the driver that writes it up.

Can-ar is consider as "lazy" anyway, nothing happens when there's a problem for minor, only for major.

On a side note, route 5's work fine as well, and 77 displays ONLY YRT trips. I wonder if they post Brampton trips as scheduled...

Brampton has no AA at all.

Brampton buses post scheduled time on the screens on weekdays and Saturdays, but doesn't work on Sundays.

As for the bus transitjukebox rode, judging by how he arrived at Vaughan Mills at noon, it should be 816, as I had 816 in my 12:20 trip eastbound from Yonge. That bus is better than most of the barely audible buses, but, of course, it can be louder.

You mean 815? I can barely hear anything on 818!

EDIT: Never mind, rode 818 today, it was screaming loud.

I think it was probably 816 when I went to Vaughan Mills and 817 when I come from Vaughan Mills.....

It looks like Miller (at least) have upped the volume of their Inits, at least, from the buses I rode today and on Sunday. Buses that come out of my head that have loud AAs are 112, 303, 561, 562, 564, 585, 815, 818, 865, 868, and almost all VIVAs.

EDIT: Sep 6 changes are up. http://www.yrt.ca/schedules/service-changes.asp

It looks like Miller (at least) have upped the volume of their Inits, at least, from the buses I rode today and on Sunday. Buses that come out of my head that have loud AAs are 112, 303, 561, 562, 564, 585, 815, 818, 865, 868, and almost all VIVAs.

EDIT: Sep 6 changes are up. http://www.yrt.ca/schedules/service-changes.asp

I like how they put the service changes up really fast, unlike a certain transit system in the GTA who most rely on the most.............................

I like how they put the service changes up really fast, unlike a certain transit system in the GTA who most rely on the most.............................

Usually the September changes are up at this time; whereas at most other times, we have to go thru the Schedule Finder to pinpoint every single little difference 3 days before it pops up.

What's going to happen if they don't arrive on time? I have this uneasy feeling 23 extension, 42, 45, 86 extension, and 91B will be first on the chopping block, then 88A and the added school specials.

Seems so. And the 77 with 1-2 extra buses.

I personally don't think I would worry as much as you all are. I mean, would YRT REALLY post these changes without knowing FOR SURE that they can't cover the runs??? I dunno.... I know they have let us down in the past, but something like this is much different IMO. Unless someone else can find something out, I'll see if I can get details on this, but again, I don't think I'd worry too much.

Seems so. And the 77 with 1-2 extra buses.

that's on the weekend and MIDDAY tho (when spare buses ARE available)... and shared with Brampton as well.

• 2044 locked this topic
  • 2044 unlocked this topic