York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Double deckers have fit under the 407 underpass. When GO demoed the double decker in 2001 it ran on C and even made it to Newmarket on B. So at least for Blue, it's feasible

May 2002 to be precise!

Highway 407 underpass is nothing - double deckers can probably fit under there. However, the clearance on the CN bridge between Henderson and Industrial is another matter...

Well, I admitted my mistake.

Wasn't there a picture of a BC Transit double decker going under that bridge when it was demoing for GO Transit?

Yes there is, but I don't recall what website it's on. As well, that bridge at Henderson/Yonge is supposed to be undergoing renovation anyway. If they wanted/needed to, they could raise it a little bit. This would allow for double decker service on the 64 (York U-Newmarket), Newmarket 'B' and 69 (Beaverton). I don't think there are any major barriers (ie. bridges) along the 69 route.

I read somewhere that it is now confirmed that the Region will not be purchasing any more Van Hools. Does anyone else have other info?

Talking to a YRT official they hinted that the next order of VIVA buses were going to be "different-looking", so I'm assuming they're not going with Van Hool. Otherwise there is no concrete proof.

Talking to a YRT official they hinted that the next order of VIVA buses were going to be "different-looking", so I'm assuming they're not going with Van Hool. Otherwise there is no concrete proof.

And when is this next order?

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/94489

Metrolinx grasps control from Viva

July 16, 2009 08:49 AM

David Fleischer

York Region may have quarterbacked the rapid transit ball down the field, but the province wants to help take it across the goal line.

Metrolinx will own and control the new transit projects they fund, including Viva’s bus rapid transit system, the transit authority’s new board has announced.

“This ownership model allows the province to move ahead with major projects which are part of the regional vision while at the same time amortizing its significant investments,” deputy transportation minister Bruce McCuaig wrote in a June 4 letter to regional chief administrative officers Bruce MacGregor.

Metrolinx will be responsible for everything from building the bus routes, maintaining them and owning the vehicles, Mr. McCuaig said.

The news didn’t come as a surprise to regional chairperson Bill Fisch.

“They’re paying, so there was an expectation they’d have ownership,” he said.

Details of how the transition will work are still being negotiated, but discussions are going well,Mr. Fisch added.

The province confirmed it would provide $1.4 billion to Viva for its second phase that takes buses out of mixed traffic and puts them in their own rapidways.

Plans to proceed with construction of rapidways along Davis Drive and Hwy. 7 east should continue as planned this fall, Mr. Fisch said.

The region’s rapid transit corporation still exists and the only difference right now is that Viva staff are working more closely with their provincial partners, he said.

Meanwhile, concerns are already being raised the new ownership model could cause friction with Toronto, the largest transit system by far under Metrolinx’s authority.

The TTC has an option with Bombardier for acquiring cars for their citywide LRT network, Transit City. But Metrolinx has the authority to conduct their own bid process, delaying Toronto’s plans to start construction on Sheppard Avenue and Eglinton Avenue.

York Region and TTC are looking at some Transit City lines — including the Don Mills and Jane Street LRTs — coming as far north as Major Mackenzie Drive.

“I think they’re having a more difficult time, but it will get ironed out,” Mr. Fisch said of Toronto’s negotiations.

The province ousted Metrolinx’s former board, that included Mr. Fisch and other GTA mayors, earlier this year in favour of an apolitical board merged with GO Transit.

They convened for the first time July 13 under chief executive Robert Prichard, former chairperson of Torstar.

Much of the board’s agenda was held in closed session, including a long-awaited review of the case benefits analysis for extending the Yonge subway from Finch Station up to Hwy. 7.

Regional council recently heard that project is in limbo with no obvious funding available and Metrolinx’s analysis being the next hurdle to jump.

If any decision was made Tuesday, Mr. Fisch has not yet heard it, he said.

I've been scouring the web for some photos and stumbled upon this photo gallery, hosted by Fortune City. There are many older pictures of York Region Transit's buses, including the pre-YRT livery of some of the present-day buses.

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/roberts/234/yrt.htm

Not to mention, this site belongs to Fred Tang, a very well known for it's details on TTC and YRT buses!

Not to mention, this site belongs to Fred Tang, a very well known for it's details on TTC and YRT buses!

And one of the original transit fan who had a site back in the 90s.

He and some others still here were what inspired me to come on this board in 2002.

Yes there is, but I don't recall what website it's on. As well, that bridge at Henderson/Yonge is supposed to be undergoing renovation anyway. If they wanted/needed to, they could raise it a little bit. This would allow for double decker service on the 64 (York U-Newmarket), Newmarket 'B' and 69 (Beaverton). I don't think there are any major barriers (ie. bridges) along the 69 route.

The only major barrier on the 69 that I can think of would probably be demand! :(

http://yrt.ca/news/commuter-alerts.asp

Route 2, 5, 23, 88, 91/91A, 77, Viva blue |

Yonge Street Partial Road Closure

July 24th to July 27th

Yonge Street between Bishop Ave. and Cummer Ave.

Effective Friday, July 24th at 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. on Monday, July 27th, Routes 2, 5, 23, 88, 91/91A, 77 and Viva blue may experience significant service delays due to lane closures in the vicinity of Finch GO Bus Terminal. Customers are advised to consider possible delays while planning their trips.

A crane lift will be removing a tower crane from the roof of 5793 Yonge St. This will result in the closure of three northbound lanes and the centre lane. The southbound lanes will be converted to accommodate two-way traffic.

Effective: Friday, July 24, 2009

Would there be a chance of YRT or Brampton Transit completely owning Route 77 as their own route?

Route 77 is owned by YRT but is contracted out to Brampton. There were rumors that YRT may take over all operations of the route, but it is not certain (I wonder if this has anything to do with the large order of buses? :angry:)

Another option for me this:

Next weekend, I will be heading to Vaughan Mills. I will be taking the 94 GO bus from Ajax and I will arrive at the York Mills bus terminal. I will take the northbound TTC subway train to Finch Terminal. I will be going on a Saturday. Another poster on another thread told me that I have to go to Pickering GO station and catch the 52 GO bus to York University - HOWEVER (sorry that I have to do some expression) that service only operates during the "WEEKDAYS". Therefore, I'm left with this option:

Option 1:

1) Board the 94 GO bus heading towards Yorkdale and get off at York Mills.

2) Get off at York Mills and take the Northbound YUS subway train to Finch.

Here's my fare breakdown for the 1st option:

Option 1:

---------

One-way fare from Ajax to York Mills: $6.20

TTC fare: $2.75

YRT/VIVA fare: $3.25

Total = $12.20

Option 2:

1) Board the 94 GO bus heading towards Yorkdale and get off at Scarborough Centre.

2) Get off at Scarborough Centre and board the 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket to Don Mills.

3) Take the westbound Sheppard Subway train to Sheppard-Yonge.

4) Take the northbound YUS subway train to Finch.

For option 2, here is my price breakdown:

Option 2:

---------

One-way fare from Ajax to Scarborough: $5.60

Total = $11.60

Savings if Option 2 is used: $0.60

Option 2 is a lot of transferring, but it's slightly cheaper than the 1st option. I would consider going to catch the free Vaughan Mills Shuttle down at Union Station, but due to security concerns this weekend - as caribana is going to take place - I'm sticking with either options 1 or 2.

From there (with either of these options), I will have to connect either the Viva Blue or YRT's 99 bus route to 16th-Carville and transfer to the route 85/85A to Vaughan Mills.

Any suggestions?

Route 77 is owned by YRT but is contracted out to Brampton. There were rumors that YRT may take over all operations of the route, but it is not certain (I wonder if this has anything to do with the large order of buses? :angry:)

What if the large order of buses this year is to do all of 77 as well as take over all of TTC in YRT routes? (Hypothetically speaking, is the extra surplus of D40LFs enough to do just that?)

This way they're not expanding service but it makes sense why there's a large order.

Another option for me this:

Next weekend, I will be heading to Vaughan Mills. I will be taking the 94 GO bus from Ajax and I will arrive at the York Mills bus terminal. I will take the northbound TTC subway train to Finch Terminal. I will be going on a Saturday. Another poster on another thread told me that I have to go to Pickering GO station and catch the 52 GO bus to York University - HOWEVER (sorry that I have to do some expression) that service only operates during the "WEEKDAYS". Therefore, I'm left with this option:

Option 1:

1) Board the 94 GO bus heading towards Yorkdale and get off at York Mills.

2) Get off at York Mills and take the Northbound YUS subway train to Finch.

Here's my fare breakdown for the 1st option:

Option 1:

---------

One-way fare from Ajax to York Mills: $6.20

Total = $12.20

Option 2:

1) Board the 94 GO bus heading towards Yorkdale and get off at Scarborough Centre.

2) Get off at Scarborough Centre and board the 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket to Don Mills.

3) Take the westbound Sheppard Subway train to Sheppard-Yonge.

4) Take the northbound YUS subway train to Finch.

For option 2, here is my price breakdown:

Option 2:

---------

One-way fare from Ajax to Scarborough: $5.60

Total = $11.60

Savings if Option 2 is used: $0.60

Option 2 is a lot of transferring, but it's slightly cheaper than the 1st option. I would consider going to catch the free Vaughan Mills Shuttle down at Union Station, but due to security concerns this weekend - as caribana is going to take place - I'm sticking with either options 1 or 2.

From there (with either of these options), I will have to connect either the Viva Blue or YRT's 99 bus route to 16th-Carville and transfer to the route 85/85A to Vaughan Mills.

Any suggestions?

It's only 60 cents, shouldn't hurt that much. Option 1 will definitely be faster, I'd stick with that. (The Rocket ain't as that as you think, that is, the 190 Rocket)

How are talks going with the Cornell Terminal? I haven't heard anything about it latley.

Still stalled.

You could always take the GO train to Union, and hop one of the northbound King City GO buses that stops at Rutherford GO. They get off the 400 at Rutherford Rd and there's a stop right in front of Vaughan Mills.

The first one departs Union at 10:20am, and service is somewhat hourly.

Taking the YRT 360 north from Yorkdale to Vaughan Mills is also a possibility depending on what time you plan on being there.

GO doesn't run them southbound after 2pm, so getting back you could take the YRT's 360 to Yorkdale and hop on the subway, or do the 85/Viva Blue thing to Finch.

You could always take the GO train to Union, and hop one of the northbound King City GO buses that stops at Rutherford GO. They get off the 400 at Rutherford Rd and there's a stop right in front of Vaughan Mills.

The first one departs Union at 10:20am, and service is somewhat hourly.

Taking the YRT 360 north from Yorkdale to Vaughan Mills is also a possibility depending on what time you plan on being there.

GO doesn't run them southbound after 2pm, so getting back you could take the YRT's 360 to Yorkdale and hop on the subway, or do the 85/Viva Blue thing to Finch.

360 doesn't run on weekends.