York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

30 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

YRT 2020 NFI XD60 2024 was at Unionville GO for Cover Duty (I believe)…normally a VIVA bus is in this spot so the operator may have been assigned a local XD60 instead.

unknown.png

Can you please stop using the general YRT/Viva page for sightings? Use the Today's Sightings thread for sightings like everyone else!

As for 2024, it ended up replacing 1505 on the 90B. However I agree, Unionville GO is not a particularly useful location for a conventional BRT cover to sit, since the only route it can be used on is the 90 (or 811/813).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Articulated said:

Can you please stop using the general YRT/Viva page for sightings? Use the Today's Sightings thread for sightings like everyone else!

As for 2024, it ended up replacing 1505 on the 90B. However I agree, Unionville GO is not a particularly useful location for a conventional BRT cover to sit, since the only route it can be used on is the 90 (or 811/813).

BRT doesn't have a whole lot of routes to begin with. The only conventional routes are the 90/90B and the 811/813 AVIVA Charters. Unionville GO is pretty close to both of those routes all things considered. 

12 minutes ago, York Transit said:

The 300 series buses are in the process of being mass retired. Their numbers have been removed from the exterior.

Do you know how many are still active?

6 hours ago, York Transit said:

The 300 series buses are in the process of being mass retired. Their numbers have been removed from the exterior.

Source?

11 hours ago, York Transit said:

Considering that they have reached 18 years and being difficult to maintain, the writing was pretty much on the wall when they will be retired. 

The last conventional bus replacement award was back in 2017 which was for three years. Two of the years were fulfilled which were the 18xx and 1901 to 1908. Most likely they are going to utilize the final year of bus replacements in the contract when they retire the 3xx buses. 

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Considering that they have reached 18 years and being difficult to maintain, the writing was pretty much on the wall when they will be retired. 

The last conventional bus replacement award was back in 2017 which was for three years. Two of the years were fulfilled which were the 18xx and 1901 to 1908. Most likely they are going to utilize the final year of bus replacements in the contract when they retire the 3xx buses. 

I would have thought the conventional Van Hools would go before the 03 Flyer's.

8 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Someone here said YRT has a pretty flexible retirement policy...

4 hours ago, G.A said:

I would have thought the conventional Van Hools would go before the 03 Flyer's.

The A330 Van Hool buses were purchased in 2005/2006 as part of the base order to launch Viva in September 2005. Plus they have been refurbished in 2012/2013 to extend their lifecycle to 18 years instead of 12 years. Being retained until most likely 2024 at this rate to ensure service needs are covered. 

Especially with the logistical challenges of support such as getting parts and other support is difficult due to Van Hool being based in Belgium. I would think they want to remove any Van Hool buses from the fleet as soon as they can, but it isn't possible if they don't have enough replacement buses to bridge the gap. 

3 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Someone here said YRT has a pretty flexible retirement policy...

You are referring to this comment here:

Especially since YRT may not need as many buses with the direction of how much they need in peak service (AM/PM peak). At the same time, the contracts they issue for bus replacements and expansion units are usually issued for x amount of years with y amount of units. Some transit agencies have an annual budget cycle replacing the oldest buses before reliability is impacted to a severe level while others may simply hold on a bit longer to maximize the lifecycle and service needs. 

57 minutes ago, menath said:

Southwest Maintenance is quite poor...

thats a pretty empty statement. Got any supporting facts on that to justify your allegations?

1 hour ago, Ber said:

thats a pretty empty statement. Got any supporting facts on that to justify your allegations?

I often do see buses with bald tires.  That's about it.

2 hours ago, Ber said:

6 of their XD60S went MIA also there was a 2008 D40LF with no sign. Also 579 had a broken sign

13 minutes ago, menath said:

6 of their XD60S went MIA also there was a 2008 D40LF with no sign. Also 579 had a broken sign

TTC is worse if that’s your yardstick.

For the record, destination signs are not a criteria for an MTO inspection sticker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

TTC is worse if that’s your yardstick.

For the record, destination signs are not a criteria for an MTO inspection sticker.

...but destination signs are more so a accessibility concern...

53 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

...but destination signs are more so a accessibility concern...

Broken signs won’t downgrade your CVOR rating.

I worked there for the final 2 years of my apprenticeship. Their maintenance practices are in line with any other municipal outfit.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Broken signs won’t downgrade your CVOR rating.

I worked there for the final 2 years of my apprenticeship. Their maintenance practices are in line with any other municipal outfit.

I think you misread @menath as the bus in question (a SW 8xx) was completely missing their sign

Someone was stabbed on a VIVA bus at Yonge and Royal Orchard which is right near me. I saw the bus surrounded by emergency vehicles.

Bus involved is #1390.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

I think you misread @menath as the bus in question (a SW 8xx) was completely missing their sign

Typically the rear signs are the last ones to get replaced when they go down. Front and side are much more important for AODA, back signs are an optional spec order for a reason and if the unit is pulled out to replace/repair it’s better than pulling a bus from service over a sign

11 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Typically the rear signs are the last ones to get replaced when they go down. Front and side are much more important for AODA, back signs are an optional spec order for a reason and if the unit is pulled out to replace/repair it’s better than pulling a bus from service over a sign

This was the side sign.