York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

12 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Realistically, Shuttles don't happen all the time (like on a everyday basis) to warrant a dedicated platform

But I think if shuttles do occur, it's likely will be planned with temporary signage or one of the empty platforms

Just because shuttles don't happen all the time doesn't mean that it's not prudent to have a standardized plan in place for when they do.

Just like how they programmed destination signs for shuttle buses instead of forcing drivers to make do with paper and a marker.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gil said:

Thought I'd ask here since I brought it up in the TTC thread, but when shuttle bus service is used for the Spadina line extension to VMC is there an assigned platform at VMC for TTC shuttle buses?  It does make for a poor connection to the VIVA service if the TTC shuttles don't make stops between stations. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc2048c2a168ab2325c528623881d9bd.jpeg

Based on the terminal map there are 3 unused platforms at the moment.  Is one officially allocated to the TTC shuttle, or is it more ad hoc/find an available platform?  Based on the location of the Züm stop, I'm inclined to think Platform 1 would be for off-loading while one of the others (4 or 6) would be for boarding.  The 20 JANE doesn't really need an off-loading platform since it's a through route and the 10 WOODBRIDGE and 26 MAPLE don't strike me as having the ridership necessary for one either. 

Seems like there’s no agreement for the TTC to use the YRT terminals. So that’s like trespassing in common sense. The bigger issue would be if an accident happen that causes damage to the roadway, who would pay for the damage.

TTC does charge YRT a fee to use the bus terminals at Sheppard West and Don Mills. Arrangements were made for Miway to have used Kipling during the Pam Am games. Not sure if there was a fee attached.

5 hours ago, T3G said:

Just because shuttles don't happen all the time doesn't mean that it's not prudent to have a standardized plan in place for when they do.

Just like how they programmed destination signs for shuttle buses instead of forcing drivers to make do with paper and a marker.

They have Shuttle signs programmed...into YRT buses...saw it on Facebook once...

When I say shuttle i mean "Line 1 Shuttle Northbound"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, T3G said:

Standardized yes, perhaps an arrangement should be put in place for the occasional use of the terminal when needed.  The alternative where YRT provides the service between VMC and Pioneer Village doesn't sound like something that would provide as much service as a TTC-operated shuttle would. 

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Seems like there’s no agreement for the TTC to use the YRT terminals. So that’s like trespassing in common sense. The bigger issue would be if an accident happen that causes damage to the roadway, who would pay for the damage.

TTC does charge YRT a fee to use the bus terminals at Sheppard West and Don Mills. Arrangements were made for Miway to have used Kipling during the Pam Am games. Not sure if there was a fee attached.

Based on the photos and description, it looks like the TTC shuttles were running clockwise around the block of Hwy. 7, Millway, Apple Mill and Jane, putting them across the street from the SmartVMC terminal and halfway to the VIVA stop.  If the bus stop for the shuttles is outside of the terminal due to jurisdictional issues, I can only imagine what passenger reaction will be once the area fills in and there's an unexpected need to implement shuttle service.  I'm sure the neighbours would also be up in arms about having TTC buses lined up along the street when there's a terminal there.

The Hwy. 407 station pedestrian access is a joke.  With the lack of a TTC co-fare accessing the GO services from the north means either relying on the 20 JANE or walking.  The few times I've done it I wasn't alone.  The eliminated co-fare between YRT and GO might make a circulator shuttle between Hwy. 407 and VMC covering the quickly developing area worthwhile for passengers.  Most of the pedestrians I noted were coming from the industrial areas south of Hwy. 7.  It could also provide an alternative to the 20 JANE with additional links between the two stations.  I'm sure there'd be some staff and patrons of Ikea and Dave & Buster's who'd use it!

25 minutes ago, Gil said:

The Hwy. 407 station pedestrian access is a joke.  With the lack of a TTC co-fare accessing the GO services from the north means either relying on the 20 JANE or walking.  The few times I've done it I wasn't alone.  The eliminated co-fare between YRT and GO might make a circulator shuttle between Hwy. 407 and VMC covering the quickly developing area worthwhile for passengers.  Most of the pedestrians I noted were coming from the industrial areas south of Hwy. 7.  It could also provide an alternative to the 20 JANE with additional links between the two stations.  I'm sure there'd be some staff and patrons of Ikea and Dave & Buster's who'd use it!

I wouldn't expect a huge amount of walkins at Hwy 407 Station - even from the businesses just north of 407. Where else are pedestrians going to come from for the Hwy 407 station?  For Ikea/Dave Busters it would be faster walk to VMC then Hwy 407 Station,  Likely somewhat cleaner too as there is a huge construction zone between Ikea and Jane on Exchange/Interchange.   

Once all of the construction around Ikea is done in 5 years or so it would perhaps make sense to run a curcular route from VMC via Apple Mill - Edgeley - Interchange - Commerce - Interchange - Peelar - Creditstone - Hwy 7 - back to VMC.  Maybe the the eastern portion (east of Jane) only needs to run at peak times while the  route from VMC to Ikea via Commerce and back to VMC via Exchange can run all day and weekends,   It would be so short that decent service could be provided with a single bus.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I wouldn't expect a huge amount of walkins at Hwy 407 Station - even from the businesses just north of 407. Where else are pedestrians going to come from for the Hwy 407 station?  For Ikea/Dave Busters it would be faster walk to VMC then Hwy 407 Station,  Likely somewhat cleaner too as there is a huge construction zone between Ikea and Jane on Exchange/Interchange.   

Once all of the construction around Ikea is done in 5 years or so it would perhaps make sense to run a curcular route from VMC via Apple Mill - Edgeley - Interchange - Commerce - Interchange - Peelar - Creditstone - Hwy 7 - back to VMC.  Maybe the the eastern portion (east of Jane) only needs to run at peak times while the  route from VMC to Ikea via Commerce and back to VMC via Exchange can run all day and weekends,   It would be so short that decent service could be provided with a single bus.

VMC station is easier and closer to get to from Ikea/Dave & Busters, but if you're trying to catch a GO Bus, walking south to the Hwy. 407 station saves you having to pay an additional fare (whether or not it's eventually refunded when you board the GO Bus) along with the potential wait for either southbound service. 

If Hwy. 407 was designed with the eventual hope/intent for easy transfers from VMC to access the GO services, then it's doing it's job albeit with two (and until recently 3) fares involved.  GO is routing all of their services into Hwy. 407 while everyone else is routing their services into VMC leaving either the subway or the 20 JANE to connect them.  A terminal that size can certainly handle another local bus route, whether it's YRT or Brampton Transit to bridge the gap.  I walked from VMC to Hwy. 407 faster than the next 20 JANE bus because of the need to access the GO service.  Paying a full TTC fare for one stop on the subway seemed a bit much, but if the timing required it I would have paid.

There should be another connecting route between the two until the TTC and YRT work out a transfer agreement.  I don't think it's feasible for YRT to increase frequencies on the 20 JANE right now to cater to such a small segment of the corridor.  Your circular route would work with a stop at Hwy. 407 if only to provide access to the GO services offered there.  The industrial area is probably able to attract more employees as GO significantly expands the commutershed of the area.  The first/last mile options from Hwy. 407 are terribly lacking (and until a fare/transfer agreement is reached punitive in cost) regardless of who is to blame. 

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Does Zum do full service in Vaughan (pick up and drop off in both directions?  Also, did the currently cancelled 501a/c branches stop at Hwy 407 station?

Along Hwy. 7 it operates like the VIVA service.  I don't know why they simply didn't work out an arrangement with Brampton Transit and let Züm run their (more frequent) service instead of VIVA Orange.  YRT could have marketed it as VIVA Red.  But yes it's open door in both directions. 

As for the branches going to York U, it came off at Keele, went south to York then returned via Jane without stopping at Hwy. 407 station.  Running the Züm route down to Hwy. 407 would have been somewhat beneficial.  It would at least get BRT service into the station.  It already serves VMC at the Rapidway, I'm not sure why it would need to terminate inside the SmartVMC terminal as well if not for ease of connectivity to the other YRT route and it's the closest turnaround point.

York U still allows TTC and Brampton Transit onto campus, I don't know why they couldn't allow one YRT route to do the same.  Their students were livid when YRT and GO service was eliminated from campus (some even do make the hike up to Hwy. 407).  Maybe the VIVA Orange after serving VMC (and Hwy. 407) again giving service west of VMC to Züm?  The service frequencies shouldn't be a problem if York U was concerned about bus traffic. 

Do you mean that Zum operates within the bus only  centre lanes on Hwy 7?

I would agree that for York University branches of Zum would make sense to operate via Hwy 407 station on the way to University to allow for connection to GO or YRT 20 northbound.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:59 PM, Mike said:

Do you mean that Zum operates within the bus only  centre lanes on Hwy 7?

I would agree that for York University branches of Zum would make sense to operate via Hwy 407 station on the way to University to allow for connection to GO or YRT 20 northbound.

I haven't been on the local Züm service on Hwy. 7 since the rapidway opened out to Woodbridge, but if the operation is like what's seen at the VMC VIVA stop/station, then yes they do operate along those lanes.  I do hope they've incorporated the Züm schedule into the displays in the new VIVA stations.  The last time I was out that way the curbside stops only displayed the next departures for the VIVA Orange.  You had to call Brampton Transit's automated system to get the departure times for the Züm bus.  Thankfully they had a Brampton Transit stop along with the number and stop ID (I'm not entirely sure that Triplinx was up and running yet for you to be able to check online).

I did come across a recently revised rapdiway maps from the VIVA Next:

project map | vivaNextRevised June 2021 vivaNext Route Map Revised November 2021

The maps indicate the future VIVA Silver rapidway corridor along Jane will run from Major Mackenzie all the way down to Steeles instead of previously ending at VMC.  Potentially with a connection to York U, but Pioneer Village is more likely.  Who would be in charge of the BRT corridor along Steeles, or is this another one of those joint projects once a revenue-sharing agreement is worked out between the TTC and YRT?  It's listed last with a TBD on it, so I presume that's YRT's priority in that order.

Does Major Mackenzie warrant having two VIVA routes through Richmond Hill with both the Green and Silver?  The eastward extension to Donald Cousens Pkwy. (are they building a terminal there?  Would Mount Joy GO be a reasonable terminus point?) is a new addition.  I presume if the old scheme is still in play that VIVA Green will run from Don Mills to the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital Terminal, while VIVA Silver will run from York U/Pioneer Village to Donald Cousens/Mount Joy.  The VIVA Orange branch to Finch is gone in light of the Yonge subway extension.

With Brampton Transit looking to replicate the rapidways along its corridors, notably the Hwy. 7/Queen St. perhaps rejigging the VIVA network with Züm covering the section west of VMC.  VIVA Purple extending west to VMC and restoring VIVA Orange to York U along the proposed VIVA Silver route.  A rapidway corridor along Jane would address the additional connectivity, but would still miss the expanded coverage of a local circulator route as was discussed earlier. 

Bus lanes along Steeles would be useful only if they will be used by the TTC 53/60.  However, I don’t think it is possible to add them between Yonge and Bayview - the street is only 2 lanes in each direction and there are no wide lawns that could be used to make 2 more lanes.  The street is also 2 lanes in each direction between Bathurst and Hilda but there is a centre turning lane and wide enough lawns that could be made narrower.  

If these hypothetical lanes will only accommodate express buses while local  buses will now be stuck in traffic that has been confined from 3 lanes into two than service will be even more spotty than now.

22 hours ago, Gil said:

I haven't been on the local Züm service on Hwy. 7 since the rapidway opened out to Woodbridge, but if the operation is like what's seen at the VMC VIVA stop/station, then yes they do operate along those lanes.  I do hope they've incorporated the Züm schedule into the displays in the new VIVA stations.  The last time I was out that way the curbside stops only displayed the next departures for the VIVA Orange.  You had to call Brampton Transit's automated system to get the departure times for the Züm bus.  Thankfully they had a Brampton Transit stop along with the number and stop ID (I'm not entirely sure that Triplinx was up and running yet for you to be able to check online).

I did come across a recently revised rapdiway maps from the VIVA Next:

project map | vivaNextRevised June 2021 vivaNext Route Map Revised November 2021

The maps indicate the future VIVA Silver rapidway corridor along Jane will run from Major Mackenzie all the way down to Steeles instead of previously ending at VMC.  Potentially with a connection to York U, but Pioneer Village is more likely.  Who would be in charge of the BRT corridor along Steeles, or is this another one of those joint projects once a revenue-sharing agreement is worked out between the TTC and YRT?  It's listed last with a TBD on it, so I presume that's YRT's priority in that order.

Does Major Mackenzie warrant having two VIVA routes through Richmond Hill with both the Green and Silver?  The eastward extension to Donald Cousens Pkwy. (are they building a terminal there?  Would Mount Joy GO be a reasonable terminus point?) is a new addition.  I presume if the old scheme is still in play that VIVA Green will run from Don Mills to the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital Terminal, while VIVA Silver will run from York U/Pioneer Village to Donald Cousens/Mount Joy.  The VIVA Orange branch to Finch is gone in light of the Yonge subway extension.

With Brampton Transit looking to replicate the rapidways along its corridors, notably the Hwy. 7/Queen St. perhaps rejigging the VIVA network with Züm covering the section west of VMC.  VIVA Purple extending west to VMC and restoring VIVA Orange to York U along the proposed VIVA Silver route.  A rapidway corridor along Jane would address the additional connectivity, but would still miss the expanded coverage of a local circulator route as was discussed earlier. 

I must not have seen this map before. The Major Mackenzie route is quite odd to end at Donald Cousens if I’m being honest. There’s literally just a gas station there and I don’t ever foresee it as an area of further development. Would make more sense to just route it all the way to Cornell Terminal to connect with other VIVA routes 

2 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

I must not have seen this map before. The Major Mackenzie route is quite odd to end at Donald Cousens if I’m being honest. There’s literally just a gas station there and I don’t ever foresee it as an area of further development. Would make more sense to just route it all the way to Cornell Terminal to connect with other VIVA routes 

You have to remember that the map is for bus rapid transit projects. The environmental assessment hasn't been completed for Major Mackenzie yet regarding how bus rapid transit will work along this corridor. If they will utilize median bus only lanes except for certain sections such as Yonge/Major Mackenzie which would be curbside.

I would imagine that the Viva route would terminate at Cornell Station to maintain transfers. From Major Mackenzie/Donald Cousens, turn onto Donald Cousens to Highway 7 and loop into Cornell possibly. Where bus only lanes aren't required since the traffic volumes aren't as high compared to operating on Major Mackenzie in mixed traffic being a major street operating a pretty long length between Ninth Line in Markham to Highway 50 in Vaughan. 

44 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Speaking of Cornell Terminal... anyone has any updates on when this will open? The Vivanext site says Spring 2022 anytime from now to the end of June.

Maybe it will open in may. When it comes to service changes they are announced mid to late of the month

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

Speaking of Cornell Terminal... anyone has any updates on when this will open? The Vivanext site says Spring 2022 anytime from now to the end of June.

It is hard to say since I haven't heard anything about training operators for rapid transit division and southeast. Before they open the terminal, they need to train operators so they familiarize which platforms to use, where to layup, entry and exit along with learning about the terminal site in-person. 

Next service change is April 30th and the one after I think is July 3rd. Routes that will utilize Cornell is already planned years ago with platforms setup. 

13 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

You have to remember that the map is for bus rapid transit projects. The environmental assessment hasn't been completed for Major Mackenzie yet regarding how bus rapid transit will work along this corridor. If they will utilize median bus only lanes except for certain sections such as Yonge/Major Mackenzie which would be curbside.

I would imagine that the Viva route would terminate at Cornell Station to maintain transfers. From Major Mackenzie/Donald Cousens, turn onto Donald Cousens to Highway 7 and loop into Cornell possibly. Where bus only lanes aren't required since the traffic volumes aren't as high compared to operating on Major Mackenzie in mixed traffic being a major street operating a pretty long length between Ninth Line in Markham to Highway 50 in Vaughan. 

My thinking is that the VIVA rapidways would only extend as far as Donald Cousens Pkwy. and then continue south down to the Cornell Terminal.  Since Donald Cousens is a relatively new roadway, reconfiguring it for a rapdiway doesn't make a lot of sense.  They could simply use curbside stops (at 9th Line, 16th Ave. William Forster and Hwy. 7) since there shouldn't be significant amounts of traffic on that section of the roadway.  I don't know if the grass median is wide enough to eventually accommodate a rapidway, but there is room to put it between Donald Cousens and Reesor or to widen Donald Cousens into said space.  I've wondered why they didn't just upgrade and incorporate Reesor instead of building a modern arterial right beside it.

As for further extensions west, running all the way to Hwy. 50 would probably benefit residents in Bolton.  Major Mackenzie doesn't really line up with anything in Brampton (it's so insignificant that Brampton Transit put their inset for the Züm routes running into York there) and currently it's just the CP Rail yard that would be of any interest to passengers.  If it's possible to shift Maple GO south or improve access to Major Mackenzie it would ease that connection to future VIVA service.  Rutherford lines up with Castlemore which Brampton does have plans for by extending the Bovaird Züm corridor east.  A proper transit terminal will eventually be needed in East Brampton as the Gore Meadows Community Centre was likely only ever meant to be used as an interim measure.  I don't know how long the land on the Brampton side of Castlemore and Hwy. 50 will be vacant or if provisions were put in place to allow for a transit terminal (the Brampton Transit map shows the lands as commercial).  Maybe with YRT footing some of the bill?  They did identify the Hwy. 27/Hwy. 50 corridor for long-term express service.  Any stations on the future GO line to Bolton could work as well as I'd imagine they'd be a draw for East Brampton residents as well.

It will only be a matter of time before the gap develops and fills in and there will be a need for additional connections between Brampton and Vaughan.  Kleinburg-Nashville will probably start clamouring for regular service once things go back to normal after COVID.  Going further west, Nashville/Countryside is probably a connection for consideration later with a Bolton consideration.

image.thumb.png.ab3c0e2c4c83ffd6ad671f72e981544b.pngimage.thumb.png.c5a2609d7f667b1660bce104b6b26f82.png

YRT is discontinuing Wi-Fi on select buses. The news release seems mixed up. The title says it is 5 which would be 1062 to 1066, not 9 unless they added a few additional units that were not posted. 

This was part of the 320 Beaver Creek Express between Davis Drive Park and Ride (Davis Drive/Highway 404) and Beaver Creek Business Area via Highway 404 operating during weekday peak periods. Introduced on September 6, 2016.

PUBLIC WI-FI ON FIVE VIVA BUSES AND SOME VIVASTATIONS ENDS MARCH 31

Effective March 31, 2022, the public Wi-Fi that was previously available on nine Viva buses will be removed. This was part of a pilot program that began in 2018. 

YRT continues to offer complimentary Wi-Fi at all YRT bus terminals including Richmond Hill Centre, Bernard, Promenade, Pioneer Village, Vaughan Mills Mall and SmartVMC.

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

YRT is discontinuing Wi-Fi on select buses. The news release seems mixed up. The title says it is 5 which would be 1062 to 1066, not 9 unless they added a few additional units that were not posted. 

This was part of the 320 Beaver Creek Express between Davis Drive Park and Ride (Davis Drive/Highway 404) and Beaver Creek Business Area via Highway 404 operating during weekday peak periods. Introduced on September 6, 2016.

It seems like YRT is trying their hardest to turn riders away. Anything to save a buck I guess. But York Region is famous for senselessly cutting service and wasting money on inane projects or advertising to "win back" customers despite doing nothing about the extremely high fares and poor (at best) service that they caused.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chris W said:

It seems like YRT is trying their hardest to turn riders away. Anything to save a buck I guess. But York Region is famous for senselessly cutting service and wasting money on inane projects or advertising to "win back" customers despite doing nothing about the extremely high fares and poor (at best) service that they caused.

btw TTC is up there in terms of their fares

Adult presto is now $3.20, YRT is $3.88 via presto 

59 minutes ago, menath said:

A new MOR service is comming in the month of may for service to and from rutherford and maple go station's 

https://www.vaughan.ca/news/Pages/Need-a-ride-to-the-Rutherford-or-Maple-GO-stations.aspx

A few links later:

Primary%20Service%20Area%20Map%20Phase%201.png

So instead of say diverting either branch of the 105 DUFFERIN into Maple and/or Rutherford GO YRT will opt for Mobility-on-Request, which requires an app and smartphone to use.  From my previous post about Maple GO, how easy is it to access that station if you were to use conventional YRT services along Keele or Major Mackenzie?

The FAQs:

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can participate in the pilot?

Citizens who live within the service area and regularly travel to and from either the Rutherford or Maple GO stations are eligible to participate in the Mobility On-Request pilot. Participants must have access to a smartphone to be able to download the Mobility On-Request app. Take a survey to express your interest in participating.

What is the expected length of this pilot project?

The pilot will continue for approximately one year from the official launch date in May 2022, based on user demand.

Where can I travel using the Mobility On-Request pilot service?

The service is a curb-to-station pick-up and drop-off program that allows individuals to book trips from their desired address within the service area to either the Rutherford or Maple GO stations in the morning, or from these GO stations to a desired address in the evening. The service can be booked through the Mobility On-Request app, which will be provided for download to those who are accepted into the pilot program.

What days of the week and times of day will the Mobility On-Request pilot service be available?

The service hours will be weekdays, during the morning rush hour (6 a.m. until 9 a.m.) and evening rush hour (from 3:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.).

These times may be reviewed and adjusted based on the initial survey to accommodate participants. At this time, no weekend service is proposed. However, weekend service may be added if there is demand or a special occasion that would benefit from the service being active on the weekend.

How much does the ride cost?

When you use your PRESTO card to pay for the GO train at the Rutherford or Maple GO station, the Mobility On-Request service is free. Additional information can be found on YRT’s Ride to GO webpage. A full YRT fare will be charged if you are not using a PRESTO card.

I’ve been accepted into the pilot program – where can I find the Mobility On-Request app?

The app will be shared with all registered pilot participants in advance of the service launch in May 2022.

I’ve been accepted into the Mobility On-Request pilot program – how will I know what the YRT pick-up vehicle will look like?

The vehicle will be a YRT-branded car driven by a YRT transit service operator. The driver will show identification upon arrival.

I participated in the eligibility survey to join the pilot – how will I know if I’ve been accepted into it?

Those who participated in the survey to join the pilot can expect to hear from the City of Vaughan within five business days, by email.

What COVID-19 precautions are in place?

To support the safety and well-being of passengers during the COVID pandemic:

• Vehicles will be limited to three passengers and a driver.
  • Drivers and passengers are required to wear face masks while using the pilot service.
  • Mobility On-Request vehicles are cleaned regularly.

The precautions taken will follow York Region Transit’s COVID-19 protocols. Please visit COVID-19: YRT Response and Service Updates for any updated changes.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

From my previous post about Maple GO, how easy is it to access that station if you were to use conventional YRT services along Keele or Major Mackenzie?

From Keele/Major Mac you have to walk over to the station (700m).  Given the frequencies of YRT buses it probably makes sense to walk rather then wait for the Major Mac bus for 2/3 stops.

Likewise from nearest stops on Major Mackenzie its 500-600m to the station.