York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

10 hours ago, DiltonPlayz said:

332?! Why?!

Not Nova... they suck...

Novas are fine stop bitching about them in every post which involves novas. and also the bus is 18 years old… why wouldn’t they not retire it. It’s not that hard to understand information like that. Btw are YRTs 40fts only supposed be in service for 14 years as well? Same with 60fts but 12 years

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Articulated said:

That does not mean they need to, or are entitled to, continuously plaster the forums with them.

I mean that's just some people...

9 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Novas are fine stop bitching about them in every post which involves novas. and also the bus is 18 years old… why wouldn’t they not retire it. It’s not that hard to understand information like that. Btw are YRTs 40fts only supposed be in service for 14 years as well? Same with 60fts but 12 years

YRT has a internal retirement policy of 18 years for 40 footers and 12 years for 60 footers. Anything that retires before is usually the result of fires...Eldorados I heard fall under the 12 year life span since YRT doesn't usually refurbish their eldorados.

VIVA 5201-5225 (with the exception of those that got converted to local) retired in 2018, largely built in 2005-2006 (~12 yr lifespan)
VIVA 7201-7205 built in 2007, retired near end of 2019/early 2020 (~12 year life span)

Haven't heard anything about 8201-8211 (except 8203) but I suspect those retired as well and that order already outlived their expected service life (likely caused by COVID19)

12 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

YRT has a internal retirement policy of 18 years for 40 footers and 12 years for 60 footers. Anything that retires before is usually the result of fires...Eldorados I heard fall under the 12 year life span since YRT doesn't usually refurbish their eldorados.

VIVA 5201-5225 (with the exception of those that got converted to local) retired in 2018, largely built in 2005-2006 (~12 yr lifespan)
VIVA 7201-7205 built in 2007, retired near end of 2019/early 2020 (~12 year life span)

Haven't heard anything about 8201-8211 (except 8203) but I suspect those retired as well and that order already outlived their expected service life (likely caused by COVID19)

YRT has a rather flexible retirement "policy", mainly to suit the whims and needs of management at any given time. For example, the retirement age was brought forward to 15 years to facilitate replacement of the Orion Vs (which had fallen out of favour with management), and as soon as the last of them were gone it immediately moved up to 18 years. The 2003 D40LFs are older than 18 years, but are being forced to outlast that due to budget pressures. Management has justified keeping them around longer due to receiving a mid-life refurbishment (despite the 3xx Orion Vs also getting refurbishment work done). Artics still have a 12-year expectancy (to match with the industry standard on when the artic joint needs a costly refurbishment), but again this has routinely been stretched; the original 2005-06 AG300s were repainted and kept for local service until new artics arrived in 2020.

From the rumours I've heard, it seems the 82xx are parked; while still formally on the roster, they're unlikely to return to service. They are now 14 years old, and are the last of the Van Hool artics in service. Their manufacturer is based overseas, so parts availability has been an issue their entire lives (especially now, with the global shipping issues going on). Plus their usage is restricted to Viva Purple, and the ongoing service reductions have made surplus vehicles available, meaning it was no longer necessary to keep them around (same reason the 2008 ElDorados were retired without full replacement).

27 minutes ago, Articulated said:

YRT has a rather flexible retirement "policy", mainly to suit the whims and needs of management at any given time. For example, the retirement age was brought forward to 15 years to facilitate replacement of the Orion Vs (which had fallen out of favour with management), and as soon as the last of them were gone it immediately moved up to 18 years. The 2003 D40LFs are older than 18 years, but are being forced to outlast that due to budget pressures. Management has justified keeping them around longer due to receiving a mid-life refurbishment (despite the 3xx Orion Vs also getting refurbishment work done). Artics still have a 12-year expectancy (to match with the industry standard on when the artic joint needs a costly refurbishment), but again this has routinely been stretched; the original 2005-06 AG300s were repainted and kept for local service until new artics arrived in 2020.

From the rumours I've heard, it seems the 82xx are parked; while still formally on the roster, they're unlikely to return to service. They are now 14 years old, and are the last of the Van Hool artics in service. Their manufacturer is based overseas, so parts availability has been an issue their entire lives (especially now, with the global shipping issues going on). Plus their usage is restricted to Viva Purple, and the ongoing service reductions have made surplus vehicles available, meaning it was no longer necessary to keep them around (same reason the 2008 ElDorados were retired without full replacement).

I see but yes the 18 yr life for 40 footers is generally when they are supposed to retire under normal circumstances...and 12 yrs for artics and 30 footers. But as we are still in the midst of COVID19, coupled with lower ridership, I understand why they are being pushed to their limits.

The last new orders (as of recent) are the XE40s and the new Arbocs

Speaking of which, they have been using 51xx in the morning as of late on Purple...5123 and 5134 were on the route yesterday

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Plus their usage is restricted to Viva Purple, and the ongoing service reductions have made surplus vehicles available, meaning it was no longer necessary to keep them around (same reason the 2008 ElDorados were retired without full replacement).

Why are the AG300s restricted to Purple?

Just now, Orion V said:

Why are the AG300s restricted to Purple?

Most likely reliability since Purple is close to the BRT Division. In case a bus breaks down or mechanical issue, they can do a trade-off more easily.

Orange did run AG300 buses during the beginning of COVID-19 when it was swapped with articulated buses to maintain physical distancing and meeting the lowest capacity of 15 on-board at 25 percent capacity seated. They do run articulated buses, but most times they don't operate them because there isn't enough demand.

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Most likely reliability since Purple is close to the BRT Division. In case a bus breaks down or mechanical issue, they can do a trade-off more easily.

That's not it. The problem is the rear overhang of the Van Hools leads to greater concern over sideswiping the poles next to Platform 2 at Finch Station when turning out of the platform. Van Hools can still serve the platform without issues, so long as the driver remembers to turn out more gently. But to reduce the chance of this occurring, it's just easier to stop assigning Van Hools to Blue. This restriction has been in place probably since the 2013 LFS Artics were delivered (and all/the majority of runs on Blue could use LFX/LFS Artic buses).

Since there's only two routes that regularly run artics (Blue and Purple), the remaining Van Hool artics can only be used on Purple. If Pink was still operating, they could still technically be used on that, so long as they stick to Platform 1 at Finch.

30 minutes ago, Articulated said:

That's not it. The problem is the rear overhang of the Van Hools leads to greater concern over sideswiping the poles next to Platform 2 at Finch Station when turning out of the platform. Van Hools can still serve the platform without issues, so long as the driver remembers to turn out more gently. But to reduce the chance of this occurring, it's just easier to stop assigning Van Hools to Blue. This restriction has been in place probably since the 2013 LFS Artics were delivered (and all/the majority of runs on Blue could use LFX/LFS Artic buses).

Since there's only two routes that regularly run artics (Blue and Purple), the remaining Van Hool artics can only be used on Purple. If Pink was still operating, they could still technically be used on that, so long as they stick to Platform 1 at Finch.

When pink was running it was all vanhool 40 footers, in some occurences either a vanhool ag300 or a lfsa or an lfx showed up on pink. Hpwever most of the time it was all 40 foot vanhools running on the pink line

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

I re-looked at pics of the rear of AG300 VS LFSA. What rear overhang? I see the rear most set of wheels are further to the front in the LFSA than AG300.

Hello YRT riders and residents. I am looking to get feedback on a conceptual improvements to bus service along King Road, and connections to Gormley GO Station. I have designed a map and draft schedule for this route "11 King Road" 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1rZuLDoVQRwQlvbP7cAd7oauGyqjlC-Eb&usp=sharing

Route 11 King Road is a suggested route for service that would connect residents of northern Richmond Hill, Oak Ridges to Gormley GO Station, while also introducing service to Nobleton and Bolton and establishing a connection between these two municipalities. I not sure how much thought or discussion has been raised on the local government level about new bus service along King Road, but I'm interested in hearing from riders in this area, and insight from transit fans alike. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mOcWwOLB5Q-3erJYTF1yKiS3E3X61fbQx3kpEVI5bkM/edit?usp=sharing

Route 11 King Road would operate on a 120 minute headway using 30 foot or cutaway vehicles, given that I would imagine ridership levels might be low to start, but as density and development continues along King Road, more frequent service and reliable connections to GO Transit can be established. 

Thank you in advance for your input and discussion. 

30 minutes ago, tommike said:

last week transee said 98 goes to finsh on the stop list?

After 8:30 PM from Finch Go Station every day, it changes into the combined 98/99 Yonge between Finch Go Station and Green Lane. Except for the last two or three departures northbound from Finch, it terminates at Newmarket Bus Terminal before heading back to the yard.

98 Yonge services between Green Lane and Bernard. 99 Yonge services between Bernard and Finch Go during the daytime. Into the late evening is when both routes interline and you stay on the same vehicle for the entire corridor between the two routes. Providing continuous local service along Yonge Street. 

3 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

5113 on Purple/Purple A

1386 on Orange (1392 was on it) - Both buses are on the block originally assigned to 5120

The two artics are probably cover buses that are replacing 5120. Given that the majority of service is run by artics, the majority of the cover buses would also be artics (since they are more likely to be used on Blue and Purple).

3 minutes ago, Articulated said:

The two artics are probably cover buses that are replacing 5120. Given that the majority of service is run by artics, the majority of the cover buses would also be artics (since they are more likely to be used on Blue and Purple).

There was a accident earlier at Bathurst / Hwy 7, likely 5120 was involved.

FOaL2hVXIAA_RPO.jpg

Thought I'd ask here since I brought it up in the TTC thread, but when shuttle bus service is used for the Spadina line extension to VMC is there an assigned platform at VMC for TTC shuttle buses?  It does make for a poor connection to the VIVA service if the TTC shuttles don't make stops between stations. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc2048c2a168ab2325c528623881d9bd.jpeg

Based on the terminal map there are 3 unused platforms at the moment.  Is one officially allocated to the TTC shuttle, or is it more ad hoc/find an available platform?  Based on the location of the Züm stop, I'm inclined to think Platform 1 would be for off-loading while one of the others (4 or 6) would be for boarding.  The 20 JANE doesn't really need an off-loading platform since it's a through route and the 10 WOODBRIDGE and 26 MAPLE don't strike me as having the ridership necessary for one either. 

34 minutes ago, Gil said:

Thought I'd ask here since I brought it up in the TTC thread, but when shuttle bus service is used for the Spadina line extension to VMC is there an assigned platform at VMC for TTC shuttle buses?  It does make for a poor connection to the VIVA service if the TTC shuttles don't make stops between stations. 

Based on the terminal map there are 3 unused platforms at the moment.  Is one officially allocated to the TTC shuttle, or is it more ad hoc/find an available platform?  Based on the location of the Züm stop, I'm inclined to think Platform 1 would be for off-loading while one of the others (4 or 6) would be for boarding.  The 20 JANE doesn't really need an off-loading platform since it's a through route and the 10 WOODBRIDGE and 26 MAPLE don't strike me as having the ridership necessary for one either. 

Realistically, Shuttles don't happen all the time (like on a everyday basis) to warrant a dedicated platform

But I think if shuttles do occur, it's likely will be planned with temporary signage or one of the empty platforms

3 hours ago, Gil said:

According to the response in the TTC thread, there is a designated Line 1 bus replacement shuttle marker on Millway. Verifying on Google Maps and it is indeed there and doesn't loop into the bus terminal. Being a pretty far walk considering that Line 1 buses don't enter 407 Terminal. 

It is on Millway Avenue just north of Highway 7 and a short walk from the Viva station. 

2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Realistically, Shuttles don't happen all the time (like on a everyday basis) to warrant a dedicated platform

But I think if shuttles do occur, it's likely will be planned with temporary signage or one of the empty platforms

When Go Transit detours buses away from Union Station, 65, 68D and 71 get detoured onto the empty platforms at 407 Terminal. Platform 12, 13 and 15 are utilized which was based on my experience when Gardiner and DVP were closed for maintenance. Having staff and a designated marker to confirm where to wait. 

Usually, staff would be on-hand to assist during subway closures to let people know where to reach shuttle buses along with way finding assistance.