York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

29 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Off-topic, but these are the recent preventable accidents that some of the operators at the Southeast division have been involved in.

I'm doubtful your employer or the company to whom they are contracted (or your prospective employer) appreciates you sharing internal information with the public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Articulated said:

Their replacements have not yet arrived or entered service, so my understanding is that they will remain active until that occurs.

You are right. The replacements haven't arrived yet nor they have entered service

On 2/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, Articulated said:

Their replacements have not yet arrived or entered service, so my understanding is that they will remain active until that occurs.

YRT 850-868 retired w/o being fully replaced. I suppose the same could have happened with 8201-8202, 8204-8211

2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

YRT 850-868 retired w/o being fully replaced. I suppose the same could have happened with 8201-8202, 8204-8211

They could retire the 82xx series without replacing them due to COVID-19 reductions right now.

Here is the breakdown of articulated buses needed to operate during the peak periods currently:

Blue: 18 buses for all branches (Newmarket/Bernard Terminal)

Purple: 10 buses (via Highway 7 and Enterprise)

Orange requires 8 buses which are usually 40 ft buses. Sometimes they may stick an articulated bus on that route just to cover service. Yellow only requires two buses, but there are plans to ramp it back up to the original frequency of every 15 minutes adding an additional bus.

The reason why the replacement units are needed is when service is ramped back up they need to have enough buses to operate along with spares. In case of breakdowns or maintenance, they have units available to insert when needed. Pink and Green are still suspended currently with no timeline on restoration even during the COVID-19 recovery plan of restoring service in 2022. 

On 2/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

They could retire the 82xx series without replacing them due to COVID-19 reductions right now.

Here is the breakdown of articulated buses needed to operate during the peak periods currently:

Blue: 18 buses for all branches (Newmarket/Bernard Terminal)

Purple: 10 buses (via Highway 7 and Enterprise)

Orange requires 8 buses which are usually 40 ft buses. Sometimes they may stick an articulated bus on that route just to cover service. Yellow only requires two buses, but there are plans to ramp it back up to the original frequency of every 15 minutes adding an additional bus.

The reason why the replacement units are needed is when service is ramped back up they need to have enough buses to operate along with spares. In case of breakdowns or maintenance, they have units available to insert when needed. Pink and Green are still suspended currently with no timeline on restoration even during the COVID-19 recovery plan of restoring service in 2022. 

orange has 8 buses in rush hour. middays it's usally 4-5 buses on orange

1 hour ago, Gamer Studios said:

It just hit service this morning...

For future reference, new vehicle deliveries are tracked on this thread linked below. This is to prevent confusion with this thread focused on the other things such as major service changes. 

I did make note of your comment along with giving you credit regarding 2105. Double checked that it hasn't been noted before. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

For future reference, new vehicle deliveries are tracked on this thread linked below. This is to prevent confusion with this thread focused on the other things such as major service changes. 

I did make note of your comment along with giving you credit regarding 2105. Double checked that it hasn't been noted before. 

I see...I'll remember to use that thread then and thx for the credit.

YRT has released their 2022 Transit Initiatives.  The Cornell Terminal and Major Mackenzie Dr. West Terminal (at the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital) are the biggest pieces of new infrastructure coming on-stream.  The most interesting part of it for me is the long-range plans for an Express Network.  The way the file is set up makes it hard to zoom in, and downloading it as a .pdf isn't much help as the way they've chosen to split the pages (50 and 51) makes 2-page view impossible with the pair always starting with an odd page.  Hence a not really zoomed in screenshot here:

image.thumb.png.9fae7bda1e08358617f62f099dbb7fe6.png

There isn't a whole lot of detail in the report since it's long-range with only 2 of the routes looking to be implemented this year.  However, they're only changes to existing routes 20E JANE and 304 MOUNT JOY EXPRESS.  There are two routes in Vaughan (labelled A in green Kleinburg/Napa Valley Express and B in yellow Highway 27/50 Express) which don't have a northern endpoint identified.  Both use the 407 to get to Highway 407 station.  There's also a McCowan Express running down to Scarborough Centre.  How many of these routes will come with a premium express fare?  The Yonge North subway is in place, but not the Scarborough extension, which might impact some of their plans.

image.thumb.png.6fe63ac79ba538c5caf8f9a601b1393e.png

With the Highway 27/50 Express in the longer-term, the recent announcement from Caledon wanting to contract Brampton Transit service, maybe they could also work with YRT to get service into Bolton?  Caledon's Transit Feasibility Study does identify an eventual connection from Bolton to the subway at either VMC or Highway 407.

28 minutes ago, Gil said:

YRT has released their 2022 Transit Initiatives.  The Cornell Terminal and Major Mackenzie Dr. West Terminal (at the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital) are the biggest pieces of new infrastructure coming on-stream.  The most interesting part of it for me is the long-range plans for an Express Network.  The way the file is set up makes it hard to zoom in, and downloading it as a .pdf isn't much help as the way they've chosen to split the pages (50 and 51) makes 2-page view impossible with the pair always starting with an odd page.  Hence a not really zoomed in screenshot here:

image.thumb.png.9fae7bda1e08358617f62f099dbb7fe6.png

There isn't a whole lot of detail in the report since it's long-range with only 2 of the routes looking to be implemented this year.  However, they're only changes to existing routes 20E JANE and 304 MOUNT JOY EXPRESS.  There are two routes in Vaughan (labelled A in green Kleinburg/Napa Valley Express and B in yellow Highway 27/50 Express) which don't have a northern endpoint identified.  Both use the 407 to get to Highway 407 station.  There's also a McCowan Express running down to Scarborough Centre.  How many of these routes will come with a premium express fare?  The Yonge North subway is in place, but not the Scarborough extension, which might impact some of their plans.

Regarding the proposed express routes, most likely the ones that utilize a highway to minimize the amount of time on the route to ensure limited stops and being more direct. I know the current 300 series routes charge the extra 50 cents on top of the base fare to cover the tolls on 407.

A local route that operates along a corridor like Jane or McCowan would most likely charge the regular fare. I know that some corridors proposed like Bayview do currently have Express service, but only in the AM peak period southbound due to the limited time savings in the PM peak. Bathurst was another route that used to have express service servicing select stops before it was converted to regular trips. 

The reason why the Scarborough Subway Extension was not included in the proposed express map was most likely that it was drafted before the work on the extension was confirmed while the Yonge line was planned for a very long time and accounted for. Now of course YRT most likely sent plans to the engineers planning the extension and make a provision to include additional platforms if needed to ensure they are available once the infrastructure is built. You can't really put in platforms once it is done since it is easier to build in the beginning during planning instead of after with when it is already built. 

I think if they bring back Express routes, they carefully review how they implement it. 20E Jane Express definitely will be one with heavier demand for Canada's Wonderland when it opens to free up capacity for the 20 Jane for those needing local stops.

There is a TTC map that indicates a YRT connection at Yorkdale (I'll have to see if I can track it down), which I think no longer operates.  It's not listed on the long-term express map so there's no plan to reinstate it.

The premium for express routes using the 407 sounds like passengers chipping in for the toll.  Will some of the proposed express routes that only travel a short distance on the 407 (like the North Markham or Bentonville Express) to get to Bridge/High Tech station also require the premium fare?  Wouldn't using the VIVA lanes on Hwy. 7 avoid the need for paying tolls?

The newly released station maps for the Scarborough subway extension have a larger terminal at Scarborough Centre than at Sheppard East.  I don't know if YRT and Metrolinx know about each other's plans in regards to service in Scarborough. 

11 minutes ago, Gil said:

There is a TTC map that indicates a YRT connection at Yorkdale (I'll have to see if I can track it down), which I think no longer operates.  It's not listed on the long-term express map so there's no plan to reinstate it.

That was the 360 Maple Express, Discontinued in 2017 when the TYSSE Opened.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

The premium for express routes using the 407 sounds like passengers chipping in for the toll.  Will some of the proposed express routes that only travel a short distance on the 407 (like the North Markham or Bentonville Express) to get to Bridge/High Tech station also require the premium fare?  Wouldn't using the VIVA lanes on Hwy. 7 avoid the need for paying tolls?

The newly released station maps for the Scarborough subway extension have a larger terminal at Scarborough Centre than at Sheppard East.  I don't know if YRT and Metrolinx know about each other's plans in regards to service in Scarborough. 

The problem with express buses using the bus only lanes is the confusion if a conventional bus ran along the bus rapid transit lanes. Expecting they will be picked up, but instead being bypassed because it isn't servicing the specific stop. Where as Highway 407, it exits only when it resumes local stops despite the additional surcharge. 

Only case I am aware of that a conventional route serviced the bus rapidway was Route 77: Highway 7 between Jane and Keele back in 2017. This was due to Viva Orange not being re-routed yet. When the subway extension opened to Vaughan, Orange was amended to service the bus rapid transit lanes while Route 77 went back to curbside service.

Route 300 Business Express utilizes Highway 407 between Yonge and Leslie which is around two exits with Bayview in-between. A pretty short distance and it still charges the additional 50 cent premium versus Route 305 Box Grove which doesn't exit Highway 407 until Donald Cousen's Parkway being much longer. 

YRT doesn't operate routes close enough to terminate at Scarborough Town Centre or Sheppard East other than the 129 McCowan North being the concern for YRT. Being a TTC contracted route and would most likely be adjusted to terminate at Sheppard East instead of Scarborough Town Centre to avoid duplicating Line 2. South of Sheppard/McCowan, I see TTC route 16 McCowan being extended to cover the small section between STC and Sheppard East to provide local service and access for those with mobility challenges when elevators aren't working. Though, I think it will be many years before YRT discloses any plans that impact their services.

14 hours ago, yrt304 said:

That was the 360 Maple Express, Discontinued in 2017 when the TYSSE Opened.

Ok, so it wasn't a map, but the station listing for Yorkdale that I saw the errant YRT connection when I was checking on the elevator completion status a while back.  When they went to the trouble of updating the station amenities to include an elevator I guess they didn't check to see what else needed updating on the page.

image.thumb.png.8f4f18c456be9496c2394a050c33e888.png

1 hour ago, Tom1122 said:

I have a question: IIRC the 1911-1914 Electric Flyers are short range while 2101-2106 are longer range. Hypothetically, could YRT convert 1911-1914 to long range?

Correct regarding how the 1911-1914 were short range while 2101 to 2106 are longer range which operates pretty much on any route. I have seen 21xx buses operate on the 50 Queensway and 96 Keele-Yonge which are very long routes and no charging infrastructure at their terminus points. 

You have to remember that the 1911 to 1914 buses were for trial purposes and to determine workability. It is possible to convert them to long range if it can accept a higher capacity battery depending on the costs of labour and obtaining the battery packs from New Flyer. 

8 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

What about 1921-22? Are they also short range?

They are also short range too along with being trial buses like 1911 to 1914 New Flyer buses. Usually operating on 44 Bristol and 55 Davis Drive charging between runs with six minutes of charging provides one hour of usage. Sometimes they may stick them onto another route outside of the two, but it also depends on the route schedule and length too if it can handle it.

Only 2101 to 2106 are longer range and don't need to be recharged after every trip. It more depends on how long the route is and how much battery capacity is left after the one round trip once it reaches Newmarket Bus Terminal. Having only one overhead charger, the charging infrastructure is still pretty limited in how long it can operate between charges. Especially when they have operated round trips on 50 Queensway to Keswick and 96 Keele-Yonge to Pioneer Village for the 21xx models.