Jump to content

York Region Transit \ Viva


YRT-Guy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am working on a proposal similar to the Board of Trade report from a few years back that would look at the options of Superlinx which is an amalgamated transit system all around the GTA. My research has hundreds of changes planned to be able to reduce duplication of services and merging routes together as well as working in partnership with GO services to improve express service that goes long distance. Once my report is complete there are many changes that will address DRT/YRT serving the Scarborough extension plus improvements in many other areas, also with a common fare/transfer system. 

Report should be ready in the next 2-3 months and I will post summaries of it here to gauge reaction before I email it to mayors and transit systems across the GTA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the point of a BRT service if you only save 5 minutes on a trip between finch and Newmarket? 

All that money on bus lanes only saves you 5 minutes? 

Maybe they should have an express bus that only stops north of Bernard terminal? Would that save some time? 

They cancelled the GO bus which was able to do it in an hour because they didn't want to fund both services on the same route....but there is no point in having local and BRT if the travel times are almost identical. 

Screenshot_20220217-192123.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2022 at 2:38 PM, brianc1981 said:

 

https://www.thestar.com/politics/2022/02/17/liberals-offer-750-million-to-cities-to-make-up-for-transit-fare-shortfall.html

 

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

What's the point of a BRT service if you only save 5 minutes on a trip between finch and Newmarket? 

All that money on bus lanes only saves you 5 minutes? 

Maybe they should have an express bus that only stops north of Bernard terminal? Would that save some time? 

They cancelled the GO bus which was able to do it in an hour because they didn't want to fund both services on the same route....but there is no point in having local and BRT if the travel times are almost identical. 

Screenshot_20220217-192123.png

How many riders were using that go bus?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Shaun said:

What's the point of a BRT service if you only save 5 minutes on a trip between finch and Newmarket? 

All that money on bus lanes only saves you 5 minutes? 

Maybe they should have an express bus that only stops north of Bernard terminal? Would that save some time? 

They cancelled the GO bus which was able to do it in an hour because they didn't want to fund both services on the same route....but there is no point in having local and BRT if the travel times are almost identical. 

Screenshot_20220217-192123.png

There is one trip in PM rush that does this from Finch-Newmarket terminal, it runs as a 98E- not sure what the ridership is like on it however https://www.transsee.ca/tripsched?a=yrt&t=1587000&date=2022-02-18

Keep in mind as well that the 98 and 99 run at different headways. The departure of a 98 at Bernard Terminal doesn’t always line up with the arrival of a 99 

Also, Viva Blue A which bypassed Richmond Hill Ctr. has been suspended since March 2020- that saved a bit on travel time 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Shaun said:

What's the point of a BRT service if you only save 5 minutes on a trip between finch and Newmarket? 

All that money on bus lanes only saves you 5 minutes? 

Maybe they should have an express bus that only stops north of Bernard terminal? Would that save some time? 

They cancelled the GO bus which was able to do it in an hour because they didn't want to fund both services on the same route....but there is no point in having local and BRT if the travel times are almost identical. 

Screenshot_20220217-192123.png

I’m wondering if it’s due to quite a bit of schedule padding, by car around 10am it’s roughly 40 minutes, viva Blue it’s 1Hr 10. Even if the bus stops at all viva stations 1h 10m seems excessive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I’m wondering if it’s due to quite a bit of schedule padding, by car around 10am it’s roughly 40 minutes, viva Blue it’s 1Hr 10. Even if the bus stops at all viva stations 1h 10m seems excessive. 

Remember... Between Finch and RHC there are no bus lanes also buses may get stuck between rhc and finch due to alot of traffic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, menath said:

Remember... Between Finch and RHC there are no bus lanes also buses may get stuck between rhc and finch due to alot of traffic.

Sure there is. The only part that doesn't have it is between Major Mackenzie and Elgin Mills though Downtown Richmond hill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, menath said:

Remember... Between Finch and RHC there are no bus lanes also buses may get stuck between rhc and finch due to alot of traffic.

Fair enough, been a couple years since I’ve been that way. Still 1+ hour off peak seems excessive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Off-topic, but these are the recent preventable accidents that some of the operators at the Southeast division have been involved in.

I'm doubtful your employer or the company to whom they are contracted (or your prospective employer) appreciates you sharing internal information with the public.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Articulated said:

Their replacements have not yet arrived or entered service, so my understanding is that they will remain active until that occurs.

You are right. The replacements haven't arrived yet nor they have entered service

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, Articulated said:

Their replacements have not yet arrived or entered service, so my understanding is that they will remain active until that occurs.

YRT 850-868 retired w/o being fully replaced. I suppose the same could have happened with 8201-8202, 8204-8211

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

YRT 850-868 retired w/o being fully replaced. I suppose the same could have happened with 8201-8202, 8204-8211

They could retire the 82xx series without replacing them due to COVID-19 reductions right now.

Here is the breakdown of articulated buses needed to operate during the peak periods currently:

Blue: 18 buses for all branches (Newmarket/Bernard Terminal)

Purple: 10 buses (via Highway 7 and Enterprise)

Orange requires 8 buses which are usually 40 ft buses. Sometimes they may stick an articulated bus on that route just to cover service. Yellow only requires two buses, but there are plans to ramp it back up to the original frequency of every 15 minutes adding an additional bus.

The reason why the replacement units are needed is when service is ramped back up they need to have enough buses to operate along with spares. In case of breakdowns or maintenance, they have units available to insert when needed. Pink and Green are still suspended currently with no timeline on restoration even during the COVID-19 recovery plan of restoring service in 2022. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

They could retire the 82xx series without replacing them due to COVID-19 reductions right now.

Here is the breakdown of articulated buses needed to operate during the peak periods currently:

Blue: 18 buses for all branches (Newmarket/Bernard Terminal)

Purple: 10 buses (via Highway 7 and Enterprise)

Orange requires 8 buses which are usually 40 ft buses. Sometimes they may stick an articulated bus on that route just to cover service. Yellow only requires two buses, but there are plans to ramp it back up to the original frequency of every 15 minutes adding an additional bus.

The reason why the replacement units are needed is when service is ramped back up they need to have enough buses to operate along with spares. In case of breakdowns or maintenance, they have units available to insert when needed. Pink and Green are still suspended currently with no timeline on restoration even during the COVID-19 recovery plan of restoring service in 2022. 

orange has 8 buses in rush hour. middays it's usally 4-5 buses on orange

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gamer Studios said:

It just hit service this morning...

For future reference, new vehicle deliveries are tracked on this thread linked below. This is to prevent confusion with this thread focused on the other things such as major service changes. 

I did make note of your comment along with giving you credit regarding 2105. Double checked that it hasn't been noted before. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...