York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Service changes effective July 4th:

Viva Purple: Schedule adjustments during the weekday 

Viva Orange: Schedule adjustments for Saturday, Sunday/holiday schedules 

Viva Yellow: Frequency adjustments noted below 

Weekday morning and mid-day frequency to be adjusted departing every 20 minutes (currently 18 minutes with two buses)

Weekday early evening: Every 17 minutes

Weekday late evening: Every 33 minutes 

Weekday final departure from Newmarket bus terminal is 11:05 PM making a round trip coinciding with Davis/Highway 404 Park and Ride at 11:21 PM

Saturday mid-day frequency: Every 20 minutes

Saturday evening frequency: Every 34 minutes

First Saturday departure from Davis/Highway 404 Park and Ride is 5:35 AM starting up at 6 AM from Newmarket Bus Terminal. Final departure from Davis/Highway 404 Park and Ride is 11:16 PM. 

Sunday/Holiday morning frequency starts at every 17 minutes. Mid-day into every 19 minutes and evening at 34 minutes. 

Sunday first departure is 6:49 AM from Davis/Highway 404 Park and Ride to Newmarket Bus Terminal with the final departure from Newmarket Bus Terminal at 10:39 PM and Davis/Highway 404 Park and Ride at 10:55 PM. 

Route 25 Major Mackenzie: Adjusted to use Harding, Hopkins, Addison and Yonge Street to better serve the Major Mackenzie Viva station (south of Major Mackenzie) noting the complaints of long walking distances to accommodate transfers between local routes and Viva Blue. 

First departure going westbound from Major Mackenzie and Woodbine at 5:51 AM. Final departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital is 8:01 PM. 

Route 88 Bathurst: Schedule adjustments for weekday, Saturday and Sunday/holiday 

Route 107 Keele: Schedule adjustments noted below

Weekday: First departure from Pioneer Village at 4:40 AM

Route 107B: First departure from Pioneer Village at 5:32 AM with the final departure at 7:19 PM with morning peak frequency of every 11 minutes

Southbound last departure from Rutherford Go Station is 7:21 PM

Saturday: First departure southbound from Cranston Park Avenue/Teston Road is 6:50 AM until 1:54 AM the next morning towards Pioneer Village Station. Last departure to Drummond Drive/Keele Street is 3:02 AM the next morning. 

Sunday: Final departure southbound from Cranston Park Avenue/Teston Road is 1:56 AM the next morning. Last departure to Drummond Drive/Keele Street is 3:03 AM the next morning.

School services will resume next school year starting September. 

Final comments: 

Viva Yellow has frequencies adjusted to better accommodate additional running time with two buses. I remember when it first started in November 2015, it operated with three buses and every 15 minutes for most of the day before reducing service after 9:30 PM. Having to better compensate due to the effects of COVID-19 still happening leading to a reduction in ridership and travel patterns. 

Regarding Route 25 being re-routed to better accommodate, it is a welcome change. At the same time, it would take a bit longer since it deviates off Major Mackenzie which Route 4/4A still stays on the street for now. Could also change to accommodate the routing which it if heading southbound, it isn't a long wait with two different branches on Blue (from Newmarket and Bernard) where as going north beyond Bernard, waiting for a Newmarket bound bus is every 18 minutes during regular service, 15 minutes during peak periods. A wait between buses, but it takes a few minutes to walk down which can make a difference between making or missing the transfer depending on destination. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why older 2003-2010 New Flyers are not permitted to be used on Route 20? I'm an operator and even I don't know. 🤭 Does it have to do with the automatic passenger counters? For the most part, this route is operated by artics. But there are 40 footers (1400 series & up) in the evening usually coming over to finish the day from Routes 85 and 77.

334 was on the route for most of the evening tonight. So consider it a rare sighting. It was probably a changeover at some point in the day.

18 hours ago, York Transit said:

Does anyone know why older 2003-2010 New Flyers are not permitted to be used on Route 20? I'm an operator and even I don't know. 🤭 Does it have to do with the automatic passenger counters? For the most part, this route is operated by artics. But there are 40 footers (1400 series & up) in the evening usually coming over to finish the day from Routes 85 and 77.

334 was on the route for most of the evening tonight. So consider it a rare sighting. It was probably a changeover at some point in the day.

I used to work there quite a few years ago… about 5 I believe and at the time it was any bus. when the van hool 60ft came in they tried to keep it as artics only but that wasn’t doable because they were so unreliable. I’d ask for a Nova instead and was told vanhool or Xcelsior only. From when I asked at the time it was strictly for reliability and appearance, XD40s were better buses and therefor went on the 20. However about your claim of passenger counters, I honestly cannot remember if the LFS had them 

For those who remember, way back in 2005 to coincide with the introduction of Viva. A-Channel/Breakfast Television provided transit updates live from YRT's Transit Control Centre in the morning.

Somehow YRT was able to hire Gary Archibald, who was at one point the national meteorologist for NBC Nightly News.

Does anybody have recorded clips of this?

On 7/3/2021 at 1:08 AM, York Transit said:

The 20 had some odd shenanigans with it in the past. When the four SW 1900-series XD40’s were new (1903-1906), after shakedown runs they were pretty much exclusively assigned to the 20 along with the VanHool artics, and very rarely made it into any other route (except the PM 461 that became a 20 run after, which was also the only other SW route you could regularly find an artic on before the pandemic struck).

When the 2000 XD60’s arrived, the 1900’s became free-runners and could easily be found on other routes (incidentally, someone shot a 2000 training on the 461 last year, but none have ever appeared on it in service to date).

I believe I’ve shot one or two Novas and D40LF’s on the 20 last year, but the XD40’s seem to be their 40’er of choice.

18 hours ago, D. DeLarge said:

The 20 had some odd shenanigans with it in the past. When the four SW 1900-series XD40’s were new (1903-1906), after shakedown runs they were pretty much exclusively assigned to the 20 along with the VanHool artics, and very rarely made it into any other route (except the PM 461 that became a 20 run after, which was also the only other SW route you could regularly find an artic on before the pandemic struck).

When the 2000 XD60’s arrived, the 1900’s became free-runners and could easily be found on other routes (incidentally, someone shot a 2000 training on the 461 last year, but none have ever appeared on it in service to date).

I believe I’ve shot one or two Novas and D40LF’s on the 20 last year, but the XD40’s seem to be their 40’er of choice.

As of right now, they just say take anything that is "new", which is anything 2014 and up.

Novabuses make it onto the Route 20 almost daily later in the night so it's not rare at all.

Transit fanning is quite boring in York Region. Any type of bus can show up on any route except Route 20 and 760.

Though one time I saw a 40" conventional non-Zum Novabus on 501 Zum Queen absolutely packed to the rafters. Has anyone ever seen or photographed conventional buses on Zum routes. I've only ever seen it once and I'm always near the Hwy 7 corridor.

9 hours ago, York Transit said:

As of right now, they just say take anything that is "new", which is anything 2014 and up.

Novabuses make it onto the Route 20 almost daily later in the night so it's not rare at all.

Transit fanning is quite boring in York Region. Any type of bus can show up on any route except Route 20 and 760.

Though one time I saw a 40" conventional non-Zum Novabus on 501 Zum Queen absolutely packed to the rafters. Has anyone ever seen or photographed conventional buses on Zum routes. I've only ever seen it once and I'm always near the Hwy 7 corridor.

But YRT has probably one of the most variety bus fleet in the gta. Especially Vaughan division.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any history on YRT's Southwest garage at 8300 Keele St?

I took a look on Streetview and it seems the shell of this garage has existed well over a decade ago (minus any garage doors). It also appears the administrative part of the building simply received metal cladding over its old brickworks.

Also according to Streetview, YRT has had a presence at this location since 2009 given the old Orion Is and Fishbowls parked at this spot.

Is the garage simply a repurposed former factory or warehouse? I always assumed this facility was brand new.

6 hours ago, York Transit said:

I took a look on Streetview and it seems the shell of this garage has existed well over a decade ago (minus any garage doors). It also appears the administrative part of the building simply received metal cladding over its old brickworks.

Also according to Streetview, YRT has had a presence at this location since 2009 given the old Orion Is and Fishbowls parked at this spot.

Is the garage simply a repurposed former factory or warehouse? I always assumed this facility was brand new.

It used to be a manufacturing facilitity, per this document from the region seeking architectural and engineering consultant to retrofit the building. An empty Yelp page produces a company called Coldmatic Refrigeration, now based in Etobicoke, so that's a possibility.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:21 AM, York Transit said:

I have a CN track diagram showing a siding there for Domtar, so it was likely an old Domtar factory when built. City of Toronto aerial imagery shows it under construction in 1971. A lot of industrial buildings there were built in the 60’s-70’s clustering around the new CN Toronto Yard (later renamed MacMillan Yard).

Aerial photos suggest the same basic building was retained, but received renovation work to turn it into a bus garage (there’s Google Earth imagery from 2009 showing much of the roof missing/open).

EDIT: before I forget, it was built to replace the old SW home base of operations at S&N Diesel/Tokmakjian garage (now TOK Performance), which was getting so crowded they had to park many buses in an overflow lot at a nearby logistics warehouse on Creditstone.  S&N/Can-ar (both owned by the Tokmakjian group, which also had the YRT SW contract at the time) had 1) their own fleet of Can-ar coaches to maintain and store, 2 ) the YRT SW fleet to maintain and store, 3) they did lots of general heavy diesel work and 3rd party/contract repairs for other agencies and groups (GO, Mississauga, Burlington etc buses showed up often, along with other coaches, various fire trucks from local municipalities, etc).

The new region-owned and built transit facility on Keele allowed YRT to get away from most of that and have their own dedicated building for storing and maintaining their fleet, and the 3rd party contractor operating SW would operate out of that facility.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:21 AM, York Transit said:

For anybody curious about the Orion Is/New Look, here's the view from Google Street View https://goo.gl/maps/uFsN2s8WsxxBZcAY9 There's an old Mobility cutaway there too that doesn't have any visible fleet number. These buses were retired around April 2009 so they were placed at the facility shortly before this picture was taken.

The facility was retrofitted around 2010 and was vacant for some years prior to the Region acquiring it.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I recall the garage was used for VIVA storage/maintenance alongside YRT at first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

A nice to have would be an express blue bus from finch to Richmond Hill Centre to cut down on travel times to Newmarket. 

They already have that... it's called Viva Blue A. And btw, if you're going from Finch up to Newmarket, it's much faster to cut out the Richmond Hill Centre stop (and associated detour off of Yonge Street) than it is to skip the local stops and divert into RHC.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:21 PM, York Transit said:

Transit fanning is not boring in york region. It's quite fun actually considering that we have a diverse bus fleet and can get multple models on a single route

On 7/12/2021 at 9:12 AM, Cityflyer said:

But YRT has probably one of the most variety bus fleet in the gta. Especially Vaughan division.

3 minutes ago, menath said:

Transit fanning is not boring in york region. It's quite fun actually considering that we have a diverse bus fleet and can get multple models on a single route

I agree with both of you, most routes are good examples of fleet diversity on most days (having the same model on the same route every day would be boring)

• 2 weeks later...

Service changes effective September 5th:

Viva Blue:

• Sunday ONLY: Frequency increased to every 12 minutes during the morning and afternoon 
  • First trip from Finch Go Bus Terminal is 6:10 AM
  • Final departure from Newmarket Bus Terminal is 12:13 AM the next day

Viva Purple:

• Renamed to two different branches. Viva Purple via Highway 7 and Viva Purple A via Enterprise Drive due to confusion between the two branches simply saying Via Highway 7 or Via Enterprise Drive which the route changes between Town Centre Boulevard and Kennedy Rd 

Weekday schedule adjustments (Purple)

• Early morning: 13 minute frequency 
  • Morning rush hour: 11 minute frequency 
  • Mid-day: 14 minute frequency 
  • Afternoon rush hour: 12 minute frequency 
  • Early and late evening: 21 minute frequency 

First/last departure changes on weekdays (Purple)

• First departure to Richmond Hill Centre via East Beaver Creek Road is 4:40 AM
  • First departure from Richmond Hill Centre is 4:50 AM
  • Final departure from Richmond Hill Centre is 11:59 PM.

Westbound from Markham Stouffville Hospital (Purple) 

• First departure at 5:35 AM
  • Final departure at 12:20 AM the next day. 

Saturday first/last departure adjustment (Purple)

• First departure from East Beaver Creek towards Richmond Hill Centre is 4:48 AM
  • First departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital is 5:57 AM
  • Final departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital is 12:11 AM the next day

Route 12 Pine Valley: Frequency every 60 minutes during peak periods with the first/last departures noted below

Morning rush hour from Vaughan Mills Terminal:

• First departure at 5:12 AM
  • Final departure at 8:07 AM

Islington/Steeles bus loop

• First trip will depart at 8:36 a.m

Afternoon rush hour from Vaughan Mills Terminal:

• First trip will depart at 2:53 p.m
  • Last trip will depart at 6:53 p.m

Islington/Steeles bus loop

• First trip will depart at 6:27 p.m

Route 23 Thornhill Woods: Route adjustment and schedule adjustments 

• Will be adjusted to operate along Ilan Ramon Boulevard between Valley Vista Drive and Queen Filomena Avenue instead of Bathurst Street
  • Stops 5789, 5788, 5803, 5805, 3305, 3292, 1958 and 6058 will no longer be serviced by Route 23
  • Schedules will be adjusted

Route 57/57A Mulock:

• Route 57A – Mulock will be renamed as Route 57
  • Mulock and the branch via Stonehaven Avenue will be renamed as Route 57A – Mulock
  • The 57A branch via Stonehaven Avenue is currently suspended

Route 470 - Westmount Collegiate School Special via Thornhill Woods

• Route 470 will be adjusted to operate along Ilan Ramon Boulevard between Valley Vista Drive and Major Mackenzie Drive W. instead of Bathurst Street.
  • Stops 3292, 1958 and 6058 will no longer be serviced by Route 470.
  • Schedules will be adjusted.

All school services (400 route series) will be reinstated to coincide with the 2021/2022 academic year. 

Final comments:

Other than the frequency increase for Viva Blue operating every 12 minutes, it is nice that they finally acknowledge separating the two branches of Purple into Purple and Purple A. Especially on the variable messaging sign at the Viva stations, you can't really see the full route which would cut off most of the wording due to the 20 character limit. With the on-board announcements saying "get off at Town Centre Boulevard and transfer to Viva Purple via Enterprise" or "via Highway 7."

The last time I asked regarding why they don't use Purple or Purple A citing the Viva Network Expansion Plan years ago was because of how most people travelled got off before Town Centre or after Kennedy. Except if your destination was between Town Centre and Kennedy or wanting the more direct way which was Highway 7, you could be taking a detour of a few additional minutes in the process via Enterprise. Noting that the two branches alternate the entire service day 7 days a week.

Normally if it was peak period with Pink operating, then Purple A which is the Enterprise route would not operate since Pink provides that service during peak periods along with Green depending on your destination. I think the branch change is long overdue ever since they introduced the setup in December 2017 to coincide with the subway opening and expansion of Highway 7. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TransitfanJW said:

when are pink and green supposed to come back?

There is no timeline when Blue A, Green and Pink will be restored. Especially since they are taking a slower approach. Noting that Purple having a frequency increase to compensate for Pink not operating. 

I have heard that the resumption of the suspended service will happen by January. Basically seeing what demand looks like. There was talk pre-Covid that the pink was going to run all day and the purple was only going to go along highway 7 to Cornell terminal (when it opens). The green was also going to be changed and the pink was going to operate to McCowan. I think the green was going to be modified to operate to Richmond hill instead and change routing from don mills station by going Leslie to something and over to Richmond hill centre or maybe Bernard. It was a service plan that was going to be implemented a while back but never happened for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, brianc1981 said:

I have heard that the resumption of the suspended service will happen by January. Basically seeing what demand looks like. There was talk pre-Covid that the pink was going to run all day and the purple was only going to go along highway 7 to Cornell terminal (when it opens). The green was also going to be changed and the pink was going to operate to McCowan. I think the green was going to be modified to operate to Richmond hill instead and change routing from don mills station by going Leslie to something and over to Richmond hill centre or maybe Bernard. It was a service plan that was going to be implemented a while back but never happened for whatever reason. 

Here is the breakdown:

Viva Green is planned to operate between Don Mills Station and Harding/Major Mackenzie. Pretty much it is Don Mills/Leslie from the subway station to Leslie and Major Mackenzie. Operate between Major Mackenzie and Leslie to Yonge/Major Mackenzie using Harding as the turn back point. Currently Route 90 Leslie operates with articulated buses to maintain and build the ridership along this corridor.

Viva Pink is planned to extend to McCowan Station instead of Unionville to compensate for the restructuring of Green. This would tie into the changes when Green is restructured, but not aware of it running all-day. It would still only be peak periods which replaces Viva Purple A which operates via Enterprise leaving Purple via Highway 7 to operate on a higher frequency. Purple A which is the Enterprise branch operates all-day alternating with Purple via Highway 7.

The other one is Viva Silver which would be the 20 Jane which also operates with articulated buses for the same purposes as 90 Leslie. Silver would operate from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre which is Jane and Highway 7 up until Major Mackenzie. From Major Mackenzie and Jane to Richmond Hill Go Station which is Major Mackenzie and Newkirk. 

I did ask regarding when the changes will be implemented. The last check was Viva Silver would be implemented in 2022 and Viva Green and Pink restructuring in 2023. Though with the current pandemic situation, it will most likely be deferred another few years. Only other change I am aware of is Blue being extended to East Gwillimbury Go Station when the Yonge Street road expansion between Davis and Green Lane is completed in 2025 which will have curbside bus lanes built-in. 

York Region Transit is planning their service outline for 2022. Survey documents attached for those that are not interested in filling out the survey to access. Merged posts into one post due to attachment limits. A total of seven attachments. 

A lot of changes planned which would be a lot to copy and paste for one forum reply. 

To be honest, it feels more like York Region is trying to remove conventional service to instead focus on transit-on-demand outside of peak periods especially with the lower demand. Especially removing the 98 Yonge north of Newmarket bus terminal with very limited alternative options. Yonge and Green Lane being a major retail centre. 

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/transit-initiatives.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2qFGpRtVkaTHtxu74WCls7ARx1lmtiN6sspuz7BvwYGC3EUkWbLBtEaOQ

Part-1_COVID-19-Service-Recovery.pdf Part-2_Frequent-Transit-Network.pdf Part-3_Express-Network.pdf Part-4_Major-Mackenzie-Drive-West-Terminal.pdf

Part two of the attachments. 

Part-5_Cornell-Bus-Terminal.pdf Part-6_Conventional-and-Viva-Service-Changes.pdf

Last attachment. Covering the push for mobility-on-request or in simpler terms: Transit on demand. 

Part-7_Mobility-On-Request-Changes.pdf

perhaps November of this year if purple and blue ridership gets too crowded

On 8/25/2021 at 12:44 PM, brianc1981 said:

I forgot to quote. I'd say november should purple and blue get too crowded