Jump to content
YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

Recommended Posts

It does say Viva service will operate at 15 minute frequencies in the asterisk though. Does any Viva route currently operate higher than 15 min frequencies rite now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, York Transit said:

It does say Viva service will operate at 15 minute frequencies in the asterisk though. Does any Viva route currently operate higher than 15 min frequencies rite now?

Every Viva route except Pink operates at least a portion of the route at headways wider than 15 minutes during a portion of the day.

Blue: every 18 minutes north of Bernard during weekday middays and evenings, and during the day on weekends

Purple: every 20 minutes combined during the evenings, and every 16-18 minutes combined during weekends (don't forget every 2nd bus alternates branches, so the branches have even worse service)

Orange: every ~20 minutes during weekday middays and evenings, and all day weekends

Pink: Only operates during rush hour, but the headways are approximately every 15 minutes throughout its service span

Green: approximately every 20 minutes during rush hour

Yellow: every 23 minutes during weekday evenings, and every 18 minutes all day on weekends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to let bus riders and users of YourStop out there know that yourstop is now available in the Android, Windows and Amazon stores, click on the apps side menu option for details.

For those unfamiliar with https://yourstop.info , it's main focus is to allow users find next arrivals at bus stops quickly and easily. Live predictions are given when available and buses can be tracked in real time. Recently viewed stops are automatically saved and favorite stops can be bookmarked.
 

1_search1.png

2_apps.png

map1_desktop.png

map2_desktop.png

mystops.png

search.png

trip_map_diagram.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a VIVA bus a few days ago on Yonge with destination sign "811      CHARTER", even had a little paper sign on the front with the same wording. I've only seen the typical "CHARTER" signage, but never one with a number on it. Anybody familiar with this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Enzo Aquarius said:

Saw a VIVA bus a few days ago on Yonge with destination sign "811      CHARTER", even had a little paper sign on the front with the same wording. I've only seen the typical "CHARTER" signage, but never one with a number on it. Anybody familiar with this?

AVIVA charter from AVIVA in York Region (I don't know exactly where that is) to Lawrence East RT Station. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 7575 said:

AVIVA charter from AVIVA in York Region (I don't know exactly where that is) to Lawrence East RT Station. 

811 goes to Finch Terminal, 812 goes to Lawrence East.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 43 Kennedy said:

811 goes to Finch Terminal, 812 goes to Lawrence East.

Sorry I misread that. I thought it was 812. As for the 811, I'm clueless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Sorry I misread that. I thought it was 812. As for the 811, I'm clueless.

Yeah. 811 is another one of their charter employee routes and it seems to use artics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a 813 'Charter' that operates to Mississauga doing dropoffs at the business park near Hurontario and the 401. It does at least 2 trips per day and almost always uses a Van Hool artic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, 7575 said:

AVIVA charter from AVIVA in York Region (I don't know exactly where that is) to Lawrence East RT Station. 

Downtown Markham, beside the VIP movie theatre. You'll spot the buses around 3-4pm waiting for employees. Think it's a M-F operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 9:09 PM, 43 Kennedy said:

Yeah. 811 is another one of their charter employee routes and it seems to use artics.

811 goes from Finch Terminal from what I've seen using an artic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, let's put some rumours to bed with some factual information...

Aviva has contracted out shuttles for its employees ever since it moved into its office in Downtown Markham. I assume this is seen by them as a "perk" to retain its workforce after moving out into the suburbs. These shuttles were previously run by a coach company (often using ex-GO buses from what I've seen). Aviva switched to using York Region Transit as the shuttle operator effective March 4th, with a third route added. The routes as operated by YRT are:

  • 811 from/to Finch Terminal via Hwy 407 (operated by BRT division)
  • 812 from/to Lawrence East Station (operated by Miller Transit)
  • 813 from/to Hurontario and Hwy 401 P&R (operated by BRT division)

Each route uses 1 vehicle making 2 trips to Aviva in the AM peak, and 2 trips from Aviva in the PM peak. BRT uses their YRT-branded AG300s, and Miller typically uses a Nova LFS. The route numbers were created by YRT (and fit into their "shuttle" category; other 800 numbers include Canada Day shuttles and the Pan Am shuttles). Lawrence East is used due to Crosstown construction around Kennedy Station; previously, that shuttle would pick up/drop off in the community centre parking lot.

My personal opinion on the matter: Operating these shuttles takes away three taxpayer-funded buses from the fleet during rush hour, that could be used to improve service, to be used on "exclusive" services that are not open to the general public. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all I have made some proposed YRT design route and I wondering what you guy’s thinks give me some feedback. Thanks  

 

Proposed Route 38-Birchmount.png

Proposed Route 64-Warden.png

Route 315 – Pearson Airport Express.png

Hey have anyone see this update map?

Unfunded_Projects_map_10_02_18.jpg

YSE_mapOverview.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 7:11 PM, Fandude said:

Hey all I have made some proposed YRT design route and I wondering what you guy’s thinks give me some feedback. Thanks  

Route 315 – Pearson Airport Express.png

There's already GO Route 40, which has a segment which operates between RHC and Pearson Terminal 1. You also have the luggage issue, wherein YRT buses aren't made to carry large loads of luggage. GO buses have storage areas, even the TTC buses dedicated to Pearson services have luggage racks. 

On 3/21/2019 at 6:06 PM, Articulated said:

Okay, let's put some rumours to bed with some factual information...

Aviva has contracted out shuttles for its employees ever since it moved into its office in Downtown Markham. I assume this is seen by them as a "perk" to retain its workforce after moving out into the suburbs. These shuttles were previously run by a coach company (often using ex-GO buses from what I've seen). Aviva switched to using York Region Transit as the shuttle operator effective March 4th, with a third route added. The routes as operated by YRT are:

  • 811 from/to Finch Terminal via Hwy 407 (operated by BRT division)
  • 812 from/to Lawrence East Station (operated by Miller Transit)
  • 813 from/to Hurontario and Hwy 401 P&R (operated by BRT division)

Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was a one-time thing when I saw it since I drive Yonge Street a lot and never saw the 811. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still remember when they first proposed that Frequent Transit Network a few years ago and route 2 and 16 (among others) were supposed to have 15 minute service during rush hours which has...still not happened and I think actually got worse last year. 

At least they didn’t mention the Cornell Terminal in the service plan this year 🙄. However, my sister did mention to me a few weeks ago they may have actually started some construction on that? Does anyone know if that’s true, or if YRT has finally given up on that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

However, my sister did mention to me a few weeks ago they may have actually started some construction on that? Does anyone know if that’s true, or if YRT has finally given up on that

According to photos posted elsewhere a couple of weeks ago, they've erected a fair amount of the structural steel for the building already.


Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 43 Kennedy said:

929 has been refurbished.

About time this one does...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard YRT has some 100% electric buses on order (I've heard from Nova). Is that still the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how recent this is since I haven’t rode Viva in a while and don’t think anyone has mentioned it, but I was on 1395 today and noticed it had free wifi on board

And, well, in other news, here’s the service changes for June 30 https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/service-changes.aspx

Lots of service decreases with the rationale that YRT is “reallocating resources to improve routes with higher ridership”. As to what those improvements are, uhhh...I dunno because there really aren’t any. Maybe next time 🙄

edit: also, to answer your question @Tom1122, I was checking the fare changes here https://www.yrt.ca/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=61871a87-3a4a-4422-a905-45226803e0f1&newsId=b8587180-5af8-4b6c-a7b3-a792084bfd7a and it mentions at the bottom of the page 6 electric buses will be operating in Newmarket some time this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should've posted this way earlier but spotted VIVA # 5224 at TOK Transit during an open house last May and looks like it's being used for parts now and likely retired?

DSC00954.thumb.JPG.7a2a4fe0caaf46e5ad24a5b91280bd84.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...