York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

• 2 weeks later...
Would like to let YRT/Viva bus riders and users of YourStop out there know that there is a new logo. For those who have added the webapp to their homescreen there may be an icon change and if there is, the new icon looks like that shown in the first image below.

For those unfamiliar with https://yourstop.info , it's main focus is to allow users find next arrivals at bus stops quickly and easily. Live predictions are given when available and buses can be tracked in real time. Recently viewed stops are automatically saved and favourite stops can also be bookmarked.

1icon_256.png

2Screenshot_2018-10-26-16-10-20.png

3map1.png

4map2.png

5Screenshot_2018-10-26-16-13-18.png

6Screenshot_2018-10-26-16-14-23.png

7Screenshot_2018-10-26-16-12-24.png

8Screenshot_2018-10-26-16-16-35.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some service rationalization measures are proposed by YRT in their 2019 budget to take place in 2019 and 2020. With the exception of VIVA, all the adjustments are to routes and service periods with very low cost recovery ratios of 7-21%. These adjustments will help reduce the budget outlay by approximately $1.5 million in each of 2019 and 2020.

• All VIVA routes - late night frequency reductions
  • 520/521 Newmarket Community bus - discontinue Sunday service
  • 522 Markham Community bus - discontinue Saturday service, provide on-demand service
  • 589/590 Richmond Hill Community bus - discontinue Saturday and Sunday service, provide on-demand service
  • 22 King City - discontinue Saturday service
  • 44 Bristol - discontinue Saturday service
  • 56 Gorham - discontinue Sunday service
  • 51 Keswick Local - discontinue, provide on-demand service
  • 223/223A Newmarket GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 242 North Richvale GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 320 Beaver Creek - discontinue
  • 15 Stouffville - discontinue
  • 28 Huntington - discontinue 

https://yorkpublishing.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=2723

7 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

Some service rationalization measures are proposed by YRT in their 2019 budget to take place in 2019 and 2020. With the exception of VIVA, all the adjustments are to routes and service periods with very low cost recovery ratios of 7-21%. These adjustments will help reduce the budget outlay by approximately $1.5 million in each of 2019 and 2020.

• All VIVA routes - late night frequency reductions
  • 520/521 Newmarket Community bus - discontinue Sunday service
  • 522 Markham Community bus - discontinue Saturday service, provide on-demand service
  • 589/590 Richmond Hill Community bus - discontinue Saturday and Sunday service, provide on-demand service
  • 22 King City - discontinue Saturday service
  • 44 Bristol - discontinue Saturday service
  • 56 Gorham - discontinue Sunday service
  • 51 Keswick Local - discontinue, provide on-demand service
  • 223/223A Newmarket GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 242 North Richvale GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 320 Beaver Creek - discontinue
  • 15 Stouffville - discontinue
  • 28 Huntington - discontinue 

https://yorkpublishing.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=2723

I'm noticing a trend here. How is a transit system supposed to grow if they keep cutting service? Oh right, I forgot. It's YRT. The contractors aren't getting paid so let's cut service. And they wonder why ridership is down.

And it appears to me as if, once again, most of the cuts affect the North division.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, York Transit said:

It does say Viva service will operate at 15 minute frequencies in the asterisk though. Does any Viva route currently operate higher than 15 min frequencies rite now?

Every Viva route except Pink operates at least a portion of the route at headways wider than 15 minutes during a portion of the day.

Blue: every 18 minutes north of Bernard during weekday middays and evenings, and during the day on weekends

Purple: every 20 minutes combined during the evenings, and every 16-18 minutes combined during weekends (don't forget every 2nd bus alternates branches, so the branches have even worse service)

Orange: every ~20 minutes during weekday middays and evenings, and all day weekends

Pink: Only operates during rush hour, but the headways are approximately every 15 minutes throughout its service span

Green: approximately every 20 minutes during rush hour

Yellow: every 23 minutes during weekday evenings, and every 18 minutes all day on weekends

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to let bus riders and users of YourStop out there know that yourstop is now available in the Android, Windows and Amazon stores, click on the apps side menu option for details.

For those unfamiliar with https://yourstop.info , it's main focus is to allow users find next arrivals at bus stops quickly and easily. Live predictions are given when available and buses can be tracked in real time. Recently viewed stops are automatically saved and favorite stops can be bookmarked.

1_search1.png

2_apps.png

map1_desktop.png

map2_desktop.png

mystops.png

search.png

trip_map_diagram.png

Saw a VIVA bus a few days ago on Yonge with destination sign "811      CHARTER", even had a little paper sign on the front with the same wording. I've only seen the typical "CHARTER" signage, but never one with a number on it. Anybody familiar with this?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Enzo Aquarius said:

Saw a VIVA bus a few days ago on Yonge with destination sign "811      CHARTER", even had a little paper sign on the front with the same wording. I've only seen the typical "CHARTER" signage, but never one with a number on it. Anybody familiar with this?

AVIVA charter from AVIVA in York Region (I don't know exactly where that is) to Lawrence East RT Station. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, 7575 said:

AVIVA charter from AVIVA in York Region (I don't know exactly where that is) to Lawrence East RT Station. 

Downtown Markham, beside the VIP movie theatre. You'll spot the buses around 3-4pm waiting for employees. Think it's a M-F operation.

Okay, let's put some rumours to bed with some factual information...

Aviva has contracted out shuttles for its employees ever since it moved into its office in Downtown Markham. I assume this is seen by them as a "perk" to retain its workforce after moving out into the suburbs. These shuttles were previously run by a coach company (often using ex-GO buses from what I've seen). Aviva switched to using York Region Transit as the shuttle operator effective March 4th, with a third route added. The routes as operated by YRT are:

• 811 from/to Finch Terminal via Hwy 407 (operated by BRT division)
  • 812 from/to Lawrence East Station (operated by Miller Transit)
  • 813 from/to Hurontario and Hwy 401 P&R (operated by BRT division)

Each route uses 1 vehicle making 2 trips to Aviva in the AM peak, and 2 trips from Aviva in the PM peak. BRT uses their YRT-branded AG300s, and Miller typically uses a Nova LFS. The route numbers were created by YRT (and fit into their "shuttle" category; other 800 numbers include Canada Day shuttles and the Pan Am shuttles). Lawrence East is used due to Crosstown construction around Kennedy Station; previously, that shuttle would pick up/drop off in the community centre parking lot.

My personal opinion on the matter: Operating these shuttles takes away three taxpayer-funded buses from the fleet during rush hour, that could be used to improve service, to be used on "exclusive" services that are not open to the general public. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2019 at 7:11 PM, Fandude said:

Hey all I have made some proposed YRT design route and I wondering what you guy’s thinks give me some feedback. Thanks  

Route 315 – Pearson Airport Express.png

There's already GO Route 40, which has a segment which operates between RHC and Pearson Terminal 1. You also have the luggage issue, wherein YRT buses aren't made to carry large loads of luggage. GO buses have storage areas, even the TTC buses dedicated to Pearson services have luggage racks. 

On 3/21/2019 at 6:06 PM, Articulated said:

Okay, let's put some rumours to bed with some factual information...

Aviva has contracted out shuttles for its employees ever since it moved into its office in Downtown Markham. I assume this is seen by them as a "perk" to retain its workforce after moving out into the suburbs. These shuttles were previously run by a coach company (often using ex-GO buses from what I've seen). Aviva switched to using York Region Transit as the shuttle operator effective March 4th, with a third route added. The routes as operated by YRT are:

• 811 from/to Finch Terminal via Hwy 407 (operated by BRT division)
  • 812 from/to Lawrence East Station (operated by Miller Transit)
  • 813 from/to Hurontario and Hwy 401 P&R (operated by BRT division)

Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was a one-time thing when I saw it since I drive Yonge Street a lot and never saw the 811. 

• 1 month later...

I still remember when they first proposed that Frequent Transit Network a few years ago and route 2 and 16 (among others) were supposed to have 15 minute service during rush hours which has...still not happened and I think actually got worse last year. 

At least they didn’t mention the Cornell Terminal in the service plan this year ?. However, my sister did mention to me a few weeks ago they may have actually started some construction on that? Does anyone know if that’s true, or if YRT has finally given up on that

3 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

However, my sister did mention to me a few weeks ago they may have actually started some construction on that? Does anyone know if that’s true, or if YRT has finally given up on that

According to photos posted elsewhere a couple of weeks ago, they've erected a fair amount of the structural steel for the building already.

Dan