Jump to content
YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

Recommended Posts

Heads up to anyone regularly using Viva in Markham. Besides the restructuring of Viva Orange and Viva Purple service in Vaughan, the new HOV lanes on Hwy 7 east of Warden will be put into use tomorrow and service to Downtown Markham will be reduced. Details: https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/ttc-line-1-subway-extension.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw some photos on twitter as well as tracking on transsee, but the ex-Viva artics were out on route 20 today. I didn’t see anything mentioned previously, was today their first day in YRT service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-12-16 at 11:06 AM, Transit geek said:

Heads up to anyone regularly using Viva in Markham. Besides the restructuring of Viva Orange and Viva Purple service in Vaughan, the new HOV lanes on Hwy 7 east of Warden will be put into use tomorrow and service to Downtown Markham will be reduced. Details: https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/ttc-line-1-subway-extension.aspx

To be honest, I don't know why they are splitting Purple into two branches between Town Centre and Kennedy. Especially how much money they spent on the rapid transit corridor.

Think it will be a bit confusing to some knowing how much marketing was put into the Enterprise Road rapidway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, yrt1000 said:

Saw some photos on twitter as well as tracking on transsee, but the ex-Viva artics were out on route 20 today. I didn’t see anything mentioned previously, was today their first day in YRT service?

Yes, today is the first day in service. With the changes in effect for the opening of the subway today, route 20 is scheduled to operate with artics at all times.

33 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

To be honest, I don't know why they are splitting Purple into two branches between Town Centre and Kennedy. Especially how much money they spent on the rapid transit corridor.

Think it will be a bit confusing to some knowing how much marketing was put into the Enterprise Road rapidway. 

Development in Markham Centre (the area between Highway 407, Warden, Highway 7, and the railway tracks) has been uneven to develop. More development (especially the residential component) has occurred along Highway 7 than the areas closer to Enterprise where Viva currently runs, so YRT wishes to bring rapid transit to those high-density developments along Highway 7. The easiest way to do this is to route some trips straight across Highway 7 instead of diverting down to Enterprise.

I agree with you... but the decision is not mine to make...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Saw some photos on twitter as well as tracking on transsee, but the ex-Viva artics were out on route 20 today. I didn’t see anything mentioned previously, was today their first day in YRT service?

Yes, today is the first day in service. With the changes in effect for the opening of the subway today, route 20 is scheduled to operate with artics at all times.

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:
1

Here is one of those Artics you are mentioning, no 214 specifically, on route 20. It was at Pioneer Village station today at 12:46.

20171217_124710[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Here is one of those Artics you are mentioning, no 214 specifically, on route 20. It was at Pioneer Village station today at 12:46.

20171217_124710[1].jpg

I would be hard pressed to call that a "picture" considering it's too out of focus to identify a number.

Talking with a SW supervisor today, he said there were currently 11 artics at the SW yard. Other board members have identified 202, 205, 208, 209, 211, 212, 213, 214, 219, and 223 as being converted to YRT, with many of those in service today. Over the next few days I'm sure we will find out what the current 11th unit is, and what other artic units will pop up.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

To be honest, I don't know why they are splitting Purple into two branches between Town Centre and Kennedy. Especially how much money they spent on the rapid transit corridor.

 

They still plan to use it regularly, all day, be it with purple service or pink/green rush hour service. The corridor they built between Town Centre and Birchmound pales in comparison to the one between Bayview and Town Centre, which will be used by all purple and pink service. Given the possibility for attracting more demand across both corridors (Highway 7 / Enterprise), it seems to me more like a smart move than a waste of money. But, that's just an opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FlyerLFR said:

Anyone knows what the numbers the Christmas wrapped VIVAs are?

Been mentioned numerous times already, please do your research...

1770 and 5132 are the Holiday themed buses for 2017.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it being considered once VIVA Purple no longer serves York University (Or Pioneer Villiage Station) and the new YRT Route 100 or 101 starts up, would YRT want to renumber those routes that seemingly are the same as the ones that TTC once operated in York Region prior to the subway extension?
107, or the 70 - Keele; 165, or the 65 - Weston. I know it seems too early to look into it, but may be a good idea in my opinion to further separate those route numbers from the once-familiar TTC routes.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Is it being considered once VIVA Purple no longer serves York University (Or Pioneer Villiage Station) and the new YRT Route 100 or 101 starts up, would YRT want to renumber those routes that seemingly are the same as the ones that TTC once operated in York Region prior to the subway extension?

107, or the 70 - Keele; 165, or the 65 - Weston. I know it seems too early to look into it, but may be a good idea in my opinion to further separate those route numbers from the once-familiar TTC routes.

 

They had originally planned to use different numbers for the routes taken over from the TTC with the opening of the subway.  For whatever reason, they decided to use the same route numbers instead but revised the route name.

107 KEELE NORTH was to become 29 KEELE, 35 JANE was to become 35 JANE LOCAL (which was eventually axed), 165 WESTON RD. NORTH was to become 65 WESTON and 105 DUFFERIN NORTH was to become 75 DUFFERIN and be routed into Pioneer Village Station.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017. 7. 23. at 8:00 AM, Silly Tilley said:

It seems like York Region may be out of the Metrolinx consortium for their next round of bus purchases and have chosen to tender on their own. Anyways...

BID NUMBER: T-17-52 SUPPLY AND DELIVERY OF CONVENTIONAL 12 METRE BUSES

Tender calls for a total of 78 buses to be delivered over a 3 year period from 2018-2020. 35 in 2018, 24 in 2019, and 19 in 2020. The tender document can be downloaded at the link above.

Well the results are in... The detailed information is posted in link that Silly Tilley posted. There is updated information dated yesterday.

"On behalf of the Council of The Regional Municipality of York, I wish to advise that the bid received from New Flyer Industries Canada ULC, for Contract No. T-17-52 for SUPPLY AND DELIVERY OF CONVENTIONAL 12 METRE BUSES has been accepted in the amount of $44,965,479.00, excluding HST. " 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yourstop.info new version

A new version of  with some fundamental changes and major enhancements has just been released. Some of the more noticeable changes are:

- New look departure listing page with more space between departures.
 
- Ability to select a destination and then see the arrival time at that destination. Departures not stopping at the destination are filtered out.
 
- A facility to view later departures by clicking on a button at the end of the listings.  Repeated clicking allows departures up to 24 hours ahead be retrieved and browsed.
 
- Departures are now displayed beyond the end of the operator defined day. So if it 11pm, departures for later that night and early the following morning will be returned.
 
- Departure times for departures occurring within an hour are now listed in minutes away. For departures more than 59 minutes away, the time is shown. The detailed
departure information page still shows the scheduled and if available predicted times.
 
- Automatic refresh and update of departure information now occurs. This happens every minute. There is no longer a need to use the refresh button to see the latest predictions.
 
- The trip diagram uses different levels of opacity so a user can more easily pick out their stop and if specified their destination.
 
- Symbols such as "L" and "V" which were previously used to indicate that live information is available have been removed. They have been replaced with a small changing
circle which should be more intuitive for first time users. "C" ans "S" which were used to denote canceled trips and skipped stops have been replaced with a red line through
the time.
 
- In most cases, the route number or name is now shown on the main departure page.
 
- The distinction between getting current and future departures has been made cleaner using a "Travel Now"/"Travel Later" button.
 
- For transit data covering more than one mode of transport (e.g. bus and rail), the mode servicing the stop is now shown in the "Find" and "My Stops" pages.
 
- Station support added. When operators represent a station as a single virtual stop, listings for the entire station can now be browsed in one go. This can include different modes
of transport.
 
- Trips with loops (the same stop been visited more than once in a single trip) are now handled correctly.
 
- Added trips which do not have an associated schedule now show stops in the trip diagram.
 
- Presentation of notices has been improved when they are provided by an operator.

yrt_5314_1.png

yrt_5314_2.png

yrt_5314_3.png

yrt_5314_4.png

yrt_9770_1.png

yrt_stoplist.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, Chris W said:

I can imagine cutting three of the North Division routes and replacing them with Dial a Ride routes will go over well. Seriously, cutting routes 51, 52 and 58 makes no sense.

Agreed, especially with the rapid residential growth in East Gwillimbury and Georgina.

There should be a focus on providing more transit services to all the new residential areas; traffic is going to be horrendous in the area in the coming years and a concise transit plan in the area can help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YRT Service Change effective April 29

https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/service-changes.aspx

Most changes are just widening of frequencies by ~5 minutes (for reliability purposes, probably). Few things to note however:

  • 16 16th Avenue - Saturday service decreased from every 25 to every 37 minutes, Sunday service decreased from every 31 to every 47 minutes
  • 20 Jane - will NOT have its frequency boosted for the Wonderland season this year. Instead, 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland will run every 24 minutes, every day of the week.
  • Routes serving York University will exit campus using Ian MacDonald / Northwest Gate to Pioneer Village Terminal, as opposed to Founders / Steeles. 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

YRT Service Change effective April 29

https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/service-changes.aspx

Most changes are just widening of frequencies by ~5 minutes (for reliability purposes, probably). Few things to note however:

  • 16 16th Avenue - Saturday service decreased from every 25 to every 37 minutes, Sunday service decreased from every 31 to every 47 minutes
  • 20 Jane - will NOT have its frequency boosted for the Wonderland season this year. Instead, 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland will run every 24 minutes, every day of the week.
  • Routes serving York University will exit campus using Ian MacDonald / Northwest Gate to Pioneer Village Terminal, as opposed to Founders / Steeles. 

I guess they'll be running the artics on the 760 along with the 20. Still, this sounds like more regression from YRT's planning department (if they dare call themselves that). But you know, let's spend more money that should go towards service improvements on useless advertising.

Note to York Region. Ditch the for-profit companies and run it publicly like everybody else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markhamdevelopments said:

The 760 still operates on weekends.

Of course it does. Weekends are one part of "every day of the week", are they not?

 

1 hour ago, markhamdevelopments said:

Also I don't think the 16th Avenue service level is needed to be changed.

You may not think so, but you're not the one trying to balance the budget.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...