Jump to content

York Region Transit \ Viva


YRT-Guy
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/7/2017 at 8:57 AM, smallspy said:

And how much more service can they run with all of these additional costs that you're suggesting they take on?

 

Dan

They'll have to cut more service on routes that need it in order to cover the additional costs. The bad commercials don't pay for themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It seems like York Region may be out of the Metrolinx consortium for their next round of bus purchases and have chosen to tender on their own. Anyways...

BID NUMBER: T-17-52 SUPPLY AND DELIVERY OF CONVENTIONAL 12 METRE BUSES

Tender calls for a total of 78 buses to be delivered over a 3 year period from 2018-2020. 35 in 2018, 24 in 2019, and 19 in 2020. The tender document can be downloaded at the link above.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

It seems like York Region may be out of the Metrolinx consortium for their next round of bus purchases and have chosen to tender on their own. Anyways...

BID NUMBER: T-17-52 SUPPLY AND DELIVERY OF CONVENTIONAL 12 METRE BUSES

Tender calls for a total of 78 buses to be delivered over a 3 year period from 2018-2020. 35 in 2018, 24 in 2019, and 19 in 2020. The tender document can be downloaded at the link above.

Thats two that has dropped out. Hopefully they continue with Nova.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a new announcement on the buses. 'If you are connecting to a TTC bus in York Region, use the YRT/Viva pay app, or use cash, a paper ticket or a paper pass'.

It's nice theres a new way to connect to TTC buses, but this announcement plays every single time the doors open on the bus :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, yrt1000 said:

Here's a new announcement on the buses. 'If you are connecting to a TTC bus in York Region, use the YRT/Viva pay app, or use cash, a paper ticket or a paper pass'.

It's nice theres a new way to connect to TTC buses, but this announcement plays every single time the doors open on the bus :rolleyes:

It's not that there's a "new way" to pay, it's more from complaints that a. Presto doesn't work on TTC buses operating in York Region, and b. Drivers are not supposed to issue transfers to passengers paying using Presto, and this announcement is supposed to absolve them of this. And yes, it's definitely overkill...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Articulated said:

It's not that there's a "new way" to pay, it's more from complaints that a. Presto doesn't work on TTC buses operating in York Region, and b. Drivers are not supposed to issue transfers to passengers paying using Presto, and this announcement is supposed to absolve them of this. And yes, it's definitely overkill...

Good. Another needlessly annoying announcement plugged into the INIT software. Seriously, how much money is spent needlessly filling Crystal's hard drive space with this rubbish?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Chris W said:

Good. Another needlessly annoying announcement plugged into the INIT software. Seriously, how much money is spent needlessly filling Crystal's hard drive space with this rubbish?

Is that really the complaint that you're going to make?!? The incremental cost of additional announcements is quite literally fractions of a penny.

 

There are far, far more important things to complain about that a stupid announcement. Get some perspective.

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

Is that really the complaint that you're going to make?!? The incremental cost of additional announcements is quite literally fractions of a penny.

 

There are far, far more important things to complain about that a stupid announcement. Get some perspective.

 

Dan

Thanks for telling me this Dan. You're right though. An announcement is the last thing to complain about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/08/2017 at 1:42 PM, Chris W said:

Thanks for telling me this Dan. You're right though. An announcement is the last thing to complain about.

it would make a whole world of difference if the voice type wasnt so bad at pronunciation. makes every announcement cringeworthy which is why its 

so hard for people to filter it out as white noise...its just a constant thorn in ones ears

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2017 at 11:20 AM, TTC 9701 said:

Thats two that has dropped out. Hopefully they continue with Nova.

Now would that really mean that they dropped out? It wouldnt be a case of doing the tender and evaluating whether the metrolinx deal is a better deal? If YRT and the other system(whoever it is) really did drop out, like if they indeed claimed that, could you show me by any chance? Like a link or anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

NEWS ON NEW BUSES:

Aparently YRT will be converting 20 VIVA articulated buses to the YRT livery to be used on high capacity routes such as Jane and Leslie. The report linked says that these will primarily be Van Hool's, similar to the 40 foot ones that were converted a while back. This will be happening some time in 2018.

As previously announced, YRT will also be piloting 6 battery electric buses in Newmarket (4 New Flyer, 2 Novabus). The charging stations will be installed at Newmarket Terminal. Additionally, YRT is also apparently piloting a hydrogen fuel cell bus sometime in 2018.

 

The opening date for Cornell Terminal has also been pushed back to November 2018.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Interesting that they are converting some of the Van Hool artics to conventional.

I've heard that rumour for a while, but it was mostly in relation to using them on express trips (due to not allowing standees on Highway 407). 20 Jane could use with a frequency boost instead of articulated buses, it's still only a 14-15 minute frequency during rush hours... The document specifies using artics on more than one corridor, but only Jane was pointed out as an example.

New bus deliveries for 2018 include 35 conventional units and 25 Viva units. 30 of the conventional units are specified as replacement units; I suspect these will replace the 30 2005 E-Z Rider II buses. The Viva units should be artics, and will replace the 25 2005/06 AG300 units.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Interesting that they are converting some of the Van Hool artics to conventional.

This will be a first for YRT, the use of artics on conventional routes. Probably meant to be a pilot or so; if successful, I would not be surprised to see new LFS artics being ordered for conventional rather than Viva routes. They could have some of the Viva-specific styling like frameless windows; that would make them easy to convert to and from Viva when needed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chris W said:

Interesting that they are converting some of the Van Hool artics to conventional.

Me too. I think they want to test the waters first before considering rapid transit service along Leslie and Jane. Knowing Viva Green in the current routing is a poor performer and only operating on peak periods. Where as in the beginning, it would operate regular service. 

Jane is proposed to be Viva Silver. Leslie to be Viva Green connecting the two at Major Mackenzie and Yonge and then one stop after in each direction. Viva Pink to be extended to McCowan instead of Unionville Station to replace Viva Green. 

2 hours ago, Articulated said:

New bus deliveries for 2018 include 35 conventional units and 25 Viva units. 30 of the conventional units are specified as replacement units; I suspect these will replace the 30 2005 E-Z Rider II buses. The Viva units should be artics, and will replace the 25 2005/06 AG300 units.

The 2005/2006 AG300 units are showing their age and best replaced with new units that are more reliable. Knowing they are the workhorses on the rapid transit routes carrying the demand. Knowing the older buses from Viva are being shifted from conventional service to try and hold out long enough.

Wonder if they will ever phase out the 40 ft regular buses. Though knowing that some routes such as Orange, Green and Yellow still depend on them since there isn't enough demand to support articulated buses and inefficient for such low usage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Articulated said:

I've heard that rumour for a while, but it was mostly in relation to using them on express trips (due to not allowing standees on Highway 407). 20 Jane could use with a frequency boost instead of articulated buses, it's still only a 14-15 minute frequency during rush hours... The document specifies using artics on more than one corridor, but only Jane was pointed out as an example.

This is what I don't get about the 905s. TTC will never put artics on a 15 min headway route as it's not the best way to attract riders. Even in Mississauga (the best of the 905s) can use more frequent services than artics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Chris W said:

Interesting that they are converting some of the Van Hool artics to conventional.

Understanding that there are many more of the 2005 artics compared to the 07's and 08's, they'd probably look at the 05's first for conversion. 

One thing that immediately curious about is whether or not there would be Presto readers at each door for all door boarding?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Me too. I think they want to test the waters first before considering rapid transit service along Leslie and Jane. Knowing Viva Green in the current routing is a poor performer and only operating on peak periods. Where as in the beginning, it would operate regular service. 

Jane is proposed to be Viva Silver. Leslie to be Viva Green connecting the two at Major Mackenzie and Yonge and then one stop after in each direction. Viva Pink to be extended to McCowan instead of Unionville Station to replace Viva Green. 

The 2005/2006 AG300 units are showing their age and best replaced with new units that are more reliable. Knowing they are the workhorses on the rapid transit routes carrying the demand. Knowing the older buses from Viva are being shifted from conventional service to try and hold out long enough.

Wonder if they will ever phase out the 40 ft regular buses. Though knowing that some routes such as Orange, Green and Yellow still depend on them since there isn't enough demand to support articulated buses and inefficient for such low usage. 

Viva Green would have worked better but development in Markham Centre was much slower than anticipated. Now that development finally is occurring, travel patterns have shifted so demand is more for east-west service rather than north-south to the closest subway station. Right now demand is more oriented towards the business park in the Leslie/404 corridor, which is why Green is being shifted to run up Leslie instead.

As the document stated, the AG300s are at their 12 year life expectancy, and need to be replaced. They have probably exceeded their design life with the high mileage and heavy pounding they took on Yonge Street. I'm surprised they are considering doing yet another major refurbishment the AG300s (for a 3rd time) to only get another 3 years out of them.

And yes, 40 foot buses will be required for the near future on Viva. Green, Silver, and Yellow will definitely not require articulated units within the next 5 years (I can guarantee the A330s will need to be replaced in that time period). Pink should get artics very soon, and once the subway is open I can see Orange using some that were moved from Purple.

16 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

This is what I don't get about the 905s. TTC will never put artics on a 15 min headway route as it's not the best way to attract riders. Even in Mississauga (the best of the 905s) can use more frequent services than artics.

I do not understand it either... better frequency will attract more riders than larger buses. But fewer larger buses are cheaper to operate than more smaller buses, as the majority cost of operating a vehicle is the operator's salary.

12 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Understanding that there are many more of the 2005 artics compared to the 07's and 08's, they'd probably look at the 05's first for conversion. 

One thing that immediately curious about is whether or not there would be Presto readers at each door for all door boarding?

YRT does not do all-door boarding. The converted A330s only have Presto readers at the front doors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually like the Van Hool buses. I feel they have larger windows and is brighter than Novas or even the new TTC streetcars. Probably because YRT/VIVA didn't buy them with openable windows that have a bar across it interfering with the sight. Nice to see them around longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I actually like the Van Hool buses. I feel they have larger windows and is brighter than Novas or even the new TTC streetcars. Probably because YRT/VIVA didn't buy them with openable windows that have a bar across it interfering with the sight. Nice to see them around longer.

They're okay, but the ride is at the best in front of the engine. Sitting in the trailer section is a bit like riding in a cutaway at times. It will be neat to see some in YRT conventional service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Chris W said:

They're okay, but the ride is at the best in front of the engine. Sitting in the trailer section is a bit like riding in a cutaway at times. It will be neat to see some in YRT conventional service.

It feels as if you do'nt even know that there's even any propulsion happening. Just doesn't feel natural to me.

 

 

21 hours ago, Articulated said:

YRT does not do all-door boarding. The converted A330s only have Presto readers at the front doors.

While I was in Ottawa last year, I did notice that their D60LF®'s have Presto readers at all doors. That's why I asked if taht was a ossibility perhaps to speed up boarding. Although in saying that I don't believe the passenger loads are too high to warrant that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2044 locked this topic
  • 2044 unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...