Jump to content
YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

YRT 2018 Service Plan:

  • Routes 1/2 (weekend)/9/14/16/18/25/522 - modified to serve new Cornell Terminal early 2018
  • 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland - will be expanded to run 7 days/week, year-round (I guess this means Viva Silver won't happen yet... :()
  • Viva Purple (phase 1)- shortened to run between Richmond Hill Centre and Cornell Terminal
  • Viva Purple (phase 2)- new branch via Highway 7
  • U of T Scarborough - new service to UTSC by September 2018

 

Cornell? Oh please.  However, if that thing does get built, I do believe YRT and DRT would split resources to run a Route 930 between Cornell and Brock/407 Park 'N Ride. Is this still accurate?

 

Does 760 run all year round anyway, just not to Wonderland, that is?

 

U of T Scarborough. I didn't expect this. An expansion of a VIVA route, methinks Green given that it seems to be the closest in the area. Perhaps to head there via Scarboorough Centre, or any specifics on that routing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Cornell? Oh please.  However, if that thing does get built, I do believe YRT and DRT would split resources to run a Route 930 between Cornell and Brock/407 Park 'N Ride. Is this still accurate?

 

Does 760 run all year round anyway, just not to Wonderland, that is?

 

U of T Scarborough. I didn't expect this. An expansion of a VIVA route, methinks Green given that it seems to be the closest in the area. Perhaps to head there via Scarboorough Centre, or any specifics on that routing?

Cornell Terminal is expected to be ready by January 2018.

760 runs year-round but not 7 days/week during fall/winter (except during the Christmas shopping season).

I couldn't find any routing information for UTSC service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

YRT 2018 Service Plan:

  • Viva Purple (phase 1)- shortened to run between Richmond Hill Centre and Cornell Terminal
  • Viva Purple (phase 2)- new branch via Highway 7
  • Viva Orange - modified to run between Martin Grove and Richmond Hill Centre via Hwy 7 and Centre St. Extension to Hwy 50 and branch to Finch Station will start in 2019
  • Viva Yellow - reduced service on weekends

Looking through the Viva changes. 

Two branches on Purple and Orange. 

Purple: 

Purple, I think it is going to be a bit annoying with the southern loop between Town Centre and Kennedy and staying on Highway 7. Especially building all that infrastructure to realize the service is going to be split into two different directions.

The trade off is no rush hour service on the southern loop. Pink will pick up the demand. I haven't taken Viva Purple or Pink in a very long time, so I am not sure how much demand that corridor receives. 

Orange: 

It is understandable to have two different branches. Especially those that are looking to connect with Purple, Blue or Go Transit services at Richmond Hill Centre. Or those that simply want to connect to Finch Station. Along with an extension to Highway 50 for easier connection to Brampton Transit services. 

Yellow:

I don't think they have had good performance along with noticing the reductions in service. Especially with how short the route is, it is hard to attract demand other than the major destinations at Newmarket Go Station and Southlake Regional Health Centre. 

Final comments:

Not a bad plan especially with other changes to reflect once the new subway extension opens. Though also need to manage cost control and ensure that service levels match demand considering the heavy burden to provide transit services. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Cornell? Oh please.  However, if that thing does get built, I do believe YRT and DRT would split resources to run a Route 930 between Cornell and Brock/407 Park 'N Ride. Is this still accurate?

 

Does 760 run all year round anyway, just not to Wonderland, that is?

 

U of T Scarborough. I didn't expect this. An expansion of a VIVA route, methinks Green given that it seems to be the closest in the area. Perhaps to head there via Scarboorough Centre, or any specifics on that routing?

760 currently operates between Finch to Vanghan Mills in Weekends Year-round weekend service with Seasonal (weekday and weekend) service to Wonderland, With 2018 plan, they will make all day service to Vanghan Mills from November to April and to Wonderland from May to October. 

For UTSC Express, there aren't any detailed routing has been decided yet, I think it will going to be updated on final plan document.

22 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:
  • 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland - will be expanded to run 7 days/week, year-round (I guess this means Viva Silver won't happen yet... :()

I believe it's not because of silver is postponed, as 760 will continue to bypass All stops at Jane street Except Interchange and Highway 7, If it was replacement of silver, I pretty sure this suppose to reroute to VMC station I guess.

Oh and Yes, New proposed 26 is combined with 35, as 26 was suppose to use Jane Street to VMC Station per last document that presented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The full version of the 2018 Annual Plan is now available online. Unlike in previous years which has a proper report, this one is in more of a presentation format (like they just posted the slides from a presentation to Regional Council). dj.surf.lfs covered all the changes in his post so I won't replicate them, but thought it would be useful to share the full version of the plan now that it is online.

In the plan there are some renderings of the Cornell Terminal (yuck), and confirming an opening date of December 2017 for the subway extension.

There's a bit of overlap in the report, as there are three unofficial sections: the first deals with changes related to the opening of the subway (takeover of TTC routes in Vaughan, extensions to subway stations, and VNEP changes), the second has changes related to the opening of Cornell Terminal, and the third is all other changes. Some routes as a result are duplicated in the report (route 1 as an example is in two "sections", having frequency reduced as part of VNEP, but also modified routing to serve Cornell).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Articulated said:

The full version of the 2018 Annual Plan is now available online. Unlike in previous years which has a proper report, this one is in more of a presentation format (like they just posted the slides from a presentation to Regional Council). dj.surf.lfs covered all the changes in his post so I won't replicate them, but thought it would be useful to share the full version of the plan now that it is online.

In the plan there are some renderings of the Cornell Terminal (yuck), and confirming an opening date of December 2017 for the subway extension.

There's a bit of overlap in the report, as there are three unofficial sections: the first deals with changes related to the opening of the subway (takeover of TTC routes in Vaughan, extensions to subway stations, and VNEP changes), the second has changes related to the opening of Cornell Terminal, and the third is all other changes. Some routes as a result are duplicated in the report (route 1 as an example is in two "sections", having frequency reduced as part of VNEP, but also modified routing to serve Cornell).

They always uses 'storyboard' for public information sessions in march. I believe proper 'report format' of 2018 service plan will be release in the later this year, with customer's feedbacks are being implied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best option for a UTSC route would be Markville Mall -> STC GO Terminal -> UTSC.

Perhaps this would present an opportunity for YRT to take over the popular 129A and build new ridership heading to UTSC?

Perhaps:
29 McCowan between Major Mackenzie -> STC GO

29A McCowan between Bullock Drive -> UTSC via STC GO

Having the bus loop around Bullock Drive would be beneficial as it would create a $0.75 connection from Lincolnville/Uxbridge/Stouffville GO Bus riders looking for a direct connection to UTSC. Having a one seat, one fare connection to two major trip generations (STC and UTSC) would make this a fairly successful and high ridership route. Also whoopee for free connections to DRT!

Thoughts?

129.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be reminded that GO used to have a route from Unionville GO to UTSC several years back. I wouldn't be surprised if that route gets replicated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VIVA 17-- seen in a Nova Bus Promotional video on the Nova Bus Facebook. video credit to Nova, just took a screenshot the LFSA.  (Screenshot is not clear)

IMG_27032017_180911_0.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Transit_Hub said:

VIVA 17-- seen in a Nova Bus Promotional video on the Nova Bus Facebook. video credit to Nova, just took a screenshot the LFSA.  (Screenshot is not clear)

IMG_27032017_180911_0.png

I'm on my phone so I can't tell the driver side number, did/can you see the 17 on a computer? If not the factory floor video could be as old as 2009/2010 ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'm on my phone so I can't tell the driver side number, did/can you see the 17 on a computer? If not the factory floor video could be as old as 2009/2010 ;)

Can't see the fleet number even on the computer and the video can't be from 2009/2010 because that white LFS near the right bottom corner has the 4th generation rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2017 at 7:04 PM, dj.surf.lfs said:

YRT 2018 Service Plan:

  •  
  • 105 Dufferin North - service assumed from TTC, extended to Major Mackenzie Dr at all times
  •  

 

Reading the report closely gives me the impression that one branch will be operated by YRT buses whereas in the same report, unless I'm mixing things up, is that the route is still identified as a TTC route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Reading the report closely gives me the impression that one branch will be operated by YRT buses whereas in the same report, unless I'm mixing things up, is that the route is still identified as a TTC route.

YRT staffs are telling me like "We will takeover all portion of route 105 and TTC 105 is discontinued as YRT will assume full service south of Steeles.". However, we can't confirm until we see the TTC's official words since TTC didn't have any words related this. So that's true, and we have to wait until what TTC's official saying. There is still possibility to TTC is operation current 105C (to Steeles) to making more frequent service within Toronto.

13 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'm on my phone so I can't tell the driver side number, did/can you see the 17 on a computer? If not the factory floor video could be as old as 2009/2010 ;)

I played that video in slowmotion, and looks likely one of 177X (Can't see last digit clearly).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Viva5113 said:

YRT staffs are telling me like "We will takeover all portion of route 105 and TTC 105 is discontinued as YRT will assume full service south of Steeles.". However, we can't confirm until we see the TTC's official words since TTC didn't have any words related this. So that's true, and we have to wait until what TTC's official saying. There is still possibility to TTC is operation current 105C (to Steeles) to making more frequent service within Toronto.

Well YRT can't board any passengers south of Steeles or make any drop-offs heading north... so TTC will need to continue running a branch in order to continue providing service along Dufferin.

Route 117 Alness still runs at a 10 min frequency during rush hour and at a 20 min frequency middays. It could cover some of the demand but not all of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Viva5113 said:

YRT staffs are telling me like "We will takeover all portion of route 105 and TTC 105 is discontinued as YRT will assume full service south of Steeles.". However, we can't confirm until we see the TTC's official words since TTC didn't have any words related this. So that's true, and we have to wait until what TTC's official saying. There is still possibility to TTC is operation current 105C (to Steeles) to making more frequent service within Toronto.

I played that video in slowmotion, and looks likely one of 177X (Can't see last digit clearly).

105_prp.png It would appear that the TTC will operate 105C...

"Service north of Steeles Avenue would be replaced by York Region Transit"

"Local service will continue to operate on Dufferin Street, between Sheppard Avenue West and Steeles Avenue West"

"Some customers would have to transfer to another bus route for cross-boundary travel between York Region and Toronto"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I just read that yrt viva buses been using the bus road from Bowes road to Jane st and not a HOV lane yet under the baylaw. So i would say it not been made put of road yet?

When they do it under bylaw not yrt bus can use it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017. 4. 9. at 10:47 PM, tommike said:

Hi I just read that yrt viva buses been using the bus road from Bowes road to Jane st and not a HOV lane yet under the baylaw. So i would say it not been made put of road yet?

When they do it under bylaw not yrt bus can use it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you mean does YRT bus using rapidway is ilegel, Yes. This is temporary. The current plan indicates when extenstion is open the 77 bus will kicked out to mixed traffic since there is a viva service could be operate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tommike said:

No i mean it not a HOV lane yet, not to april 20, 2017, then it only can be viva buses. So right now cars truck of any can use it?

Its a bus only lane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Viva5113 said:

If you mean does YRT bus using rapidway is ilegel, Yes. This is temporary. The current plan indicates when extenstion is open the 77 bus will kicked out to mixed traffic since there is a viva service could be operate.

A bus lane is for buses. The local authorities decide what type of bus they will permit(town, region, controlling transit authority). What I find funny is the last time I read up on it (2 years or so) yrt claimed rapid ways were only for viva, so this means any mobility vehicle is not allowed...

So currently only vehicles allowed on the rapid way (west) are yrt buses as outlined by yrt. Once the subway opens it will change to viva only.

 

Also there's a huge difference between bus lanes and hov lanes... HOV lanes could permit vehicles with more than one person, or like on the 400 series if you own a green car just the driver. Bus lanes are like bike lanes if you put anything under your control in that lane (car, motorcycle, a plane) and it's not permitted there you could get a fine/ticket. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...