York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

On 1/24/2017 at 3:17 PM, Egg-Roll said:

"However, the Region's vehicle replacement strategy for 40 foot buses is 18 years." It's under their refurbishment section, I guess this includes all and not just viva ones including the new novas.

However their site has had outdated stuff before, so it's quite possible 18 years could be the old outline. Tho if one thinks about it they claim to be pro green but keeping a bus too far it's recommended date they'd be counteracting what they've said, making the 2051 pure electric that more unbelievable.

Also any updates on that new pay app they teased us with back in September?

Ah, yes I assume the AG300s will be retired starting this or next year.

According to the reports on York.ca, Viva buses will start getting "replacement" units as opposed to expansion units starting in 2018.

15 hours ago, York Transit said:

Ah, yes I assume the AG300s will be retired starting this or next year.

According to the reports on York.ca, Viva buses will start getting "replacement" units as opposed to expansion units starting in 2018.

Anything regarding which buses will be retired? (5201-5225/7201-7205/8201-8211)

12 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

I would assume those units would be transferred to the conventional side like the previous Van Hool's or maybe they are slated for Sell'N Scrap.

On 2017. 1. 26. at 3:15 PM, Hexagonal 10 said:

Depends of how many buses York Region ordered which is not confirmed yet. 2005/2007 Van Hools went 'minor' refurbishments after TOK takes their contract, they may stay bit longer. If they order more than 10-15 buses, I may start assuming some of them will be retired. However 'restructed' orange and silver will need some expansion buses .

On 2017. 1. 27. at 3:43 AM, TTC 9701 said:

I would assume those units would be transferred to the conventional side like the previous Van Hool's or maybe they are slated for Sell'N Scrap.

Since YRT isn't using 'articulated bus' on conventional routes. So keeping or scrap.

1 hour ago, Viva5113 said:

Depends of how many buses York Region ordered which is not confirmed yet. 2005/2007 Van Hools went 'minor' refurbishments after TOK takes their contract, they may stay bit longer. If they order more than 10-15 buses, I may start assuming some of them will be retired. However 'restructed' orange and silver will need some expansion buses .

This year's new Orange branch to Promenade will require I'm guessing around 5-7 new buses depending on the frequency and timing. There are a bunch of LFS Artics being built now, which will go into service on Pink and free up more 40ft buses to use on Orange. Silver will not require any new buses; the discontinued portions of Orange south of VMC and Purple south of Keele/7 should free up enough buses for Silver to use.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 1:02 PM, Viva5113 said:

Since YRT isn't using 'articulated bus' on conventional routes. So keeping or scrap.

Maybe. I am just going to wait and see. Maybe even converting the Artics for the busy routes on the YRT section. I noticed that those Orion V fill up pretty fast at Finch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No idea about it has been discussed here yet, but updated document of Spadina Subway Strategy has been online!

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/service-plans.aspx

Revising Routes

Sheppard West (Downsview) station

105 - YRT assumes its operation. The change from initial proposal is keep current TTC's routing to service Sheppard West(Downsview) Station.

Pioneer Village Station

3 / 22A - Keep current routing with serving Pioneer Village Station.

100 - York U shuttle. It got new proposed route number which formerly known as 101.

107 - Assumes operation from TTC. The change from initial proposal is serving the York University.

165 - Same as initial propose to serve Pioneer Village.

Also all route that will/keep serving York U has been revised to keep current routing and serve current bus terminal.

VMC /407 Station

10 - Same as Initial plan that serves VMC station instead going to York U.

20 - Same as initial proposal that serve all three stations.

26 - Same as initial proposal that route extends to VMC station.

35 - Assume operation from TTC. same as initial proposal.

360 - Discontinued. 

Silver - New route per VNEP.

Orange - Serving rapidway station at VMC (per VNEP).

77 - Serving on street stop on Hwy 7, 77A will keep its current operation

Brampton 501/501A - 501 Will end at VMC station on street stop. Share rapidway with Orange. 501A will serve on street on Steeles and terminate at Hwy 407 station.

760 has been not included as part of this plan, which means it will keep its operation.

Fleet Requirements. 

With new documents posted on site, YRT will need additional 18 buses in total, However I pretty sure that 77 and 20 might get service reduction since new viva services will be been matched with its routing, so resources from these routes may use as additional fleet, which means less fleet will be require.

As per moving to 2020 plan, they will require from 409 to 434 Conventional buses and 133 to 148 viva buses. Which means YRT require to purchase 25 conventional and 15 viva buses as expansion in this year. However I pretty sure at this time we have 405 conventional and 123 viva buses. I pretty sure the actual # of buses that they buying will not exact from document. I think viva won't need to buy 25 more buses as expansion.

So please think this amounts just as my assumptions. 

19 minutes ago, Viva5113 said:

Fleet Requirements. 

With new documents posted on site, YRT will need additional 18 buses in total, However I pretty sure that 77 and 20 might get service reduction since new viva services will be been matched with its routing, so resources from these routes may use as additional fleet, which means less fleet will be require.

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/2016-Spadina-Subway-Strategy/2016-Spadina-Subway-Strategy_VMC-Station.pdf Page 3 of this document states 15 minute frequencies will be maintained.

• Like 1

Two things that are puzzling to me.

1. Will Viva Purple continue west of Richmond Hill Centre with the introduction of route 100?

2. Is route 20 getting articulated buses? The bay lengths suggest that articulated buses will be put on Jane.

5 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Two things that are puzzling to me.

1. Will Viva Purple continue west of Richmond Hill Centre with the introduction of route 100?

2. Is route 20 getting articulated buses? The bay lengths suggest that articulated buses will be put on Jane.

The VNEP will have Purple cut back to Richmond Hill Centre. Orange and 100 will replace it west of Richmond Hill Centre.

In all of the fleet plans I've never seen any reference to buying artics for conventional routes. They may just be hedging their bets (after all, the terminal needs to last for decades) which is also seen in them adding extra bays to the terminals to serve future new routes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Articulated said:

The VNEP will have Purple cut back to Richmond Hill Centre. Orange and 100 will replace it west of Richmond Hill Centre.

In all of the fleet plans I've never seen any reference to buying artics for conventional routes. They may just be hedging their bets (after all, the terminal needs to last for decades) which is also seen in them adding extra bays to the terminals to serve future new routes.

The suggestion of 20 Jane getting artics got me thinking too with the 60' bay, as VIVA getting replacement artic units in the coming years and seeing how some of the A330s got refurbished and transferred over to SW for use on conventional bus routes. And also Jane Street is a route many use to get into Canada's Wonderland, I've been on 760 return runs where the bus gets crush loaded so it would be no surprise that artics would be in potential use on conventional routes in the future.

3 minutes ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

The suggestion of 20 Jane getting artics got me thinking too with the 60' bay, as VIVA getting replacement artic units in the coming years and seeing how some of the A330s got refurbished and transferred over to SW for use on conventional bus routes. And also Jane Street is a route many use to get into Canada's Wonderland, I've been on 760 return runs where the bus gets crush loaded so it would be no surprise that artics would be in potential use on conventional routes in the future.

Route 20 currently runs 14-15 minute service during rush hour. There is plenty of room to add extra buses to further reduce the headway before artics are needed.

• Like 1

There is one thing I am curious about.
Would the TTC 89 - Weston be more logical to have it extended to Pioneer Viliage Station instead of having the TTC 165 - Weston Road North maintaining the same route/service? The 165 would seem redundant to me. Given that the 165 is essentially combining its route and service for the majority of its time along the Wilson Corridor, it could be more useful, in my opinion to have the 165 eliminated in favor of the 89 and having the 96 owning the full corridor from Weston Road to York Mills Station via Wilson Station.
The same would be the case for the 41 and 107. Not sure if the 107 would be needed if the 41 would be taking up much of the 107's routing north of Sheppard West Station.

Lastly, unless I'm not understanding this correctly, YRT would operate the TTC 105 - Dufferin North from Sheppard West Station to its end-of-route northern terminus. In other wards, its whole route would be YRT-operated, meaning YRT buses would be more of the norm to be seen at Sheppard West/Downsview Station.?

Edited by newflyerinvero
Mistakes I had to correct.

14 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Lastly, unless I'm not understanding this correctly, YRT would operate the TTC 105 from Sheppard West Station to its end-of-route northern terminus. In other wards, its whole route would be YRT-operated, meaning YRT buses would be more of the norm to be seen at Sheppard West/Downsview Station.?

TTC will discontinue 105 North of steeles, and YRT will takeover that portion as replacement.

It initially proposed to serve Pinoeer Village station with following same routing with 3 from Dufferin and Steeles. However as customer complains that serving shp.west will make better service, so this time YRT proposed to Sheppard west station, so that makes same as current routing of TTC 105. I assume YRT will maintain same service levels in York Region so that I think it will be same level as how 105A/B is appearing at Downsview now(sorry for confusing wording through). It was formerly known as Route 75 before. In the finial document, they just used same route number as current route. Hope they get different route number to not making big confusion.

TTC will operate their 105 service beteween Steeles and Sheppard west station only and this will be separate from YRT's 105 that proposed in YRT service plan. 

19 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Would the TTC 89 - Weston be more logical to have it extended to Pioneer Viliage Station instead of having the TTC 165 - Weston Road North maintaining the same route/service? The 165 would seem redundant to me. Given that the 165 is essentially combining its route and service for the majority of its time along the Wilson Corridor, it could be more useful, in my opinion to have the 165 eliminated in favor of the 89 and having the 96 owning the full corridor from Weston Road to York Mills Station via Wilson Station.

The same would be the case for the 41 and 107. Not sure if the 107 would be needed if the 41 would be taking up much of the 107's routing north of Sheppard West Station.

Lastly, unless I'm not understanding this correctly, YRT would operate the TTC 105 - Dufferin North from Sheppard West Station to its end-of-route northern terminus. In other wards, its whole route would be YRT-operated, meaning YRT buses would be more of the norm to be seen at Sheppard West/Downsview Station.?

I would argue that the 165 supplementing service along the Wilson corridor is extremely beneficial during on peak hours, as someone who rode the routes during on peak hours.

40 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

The 89/165 split is largely a legacy of the trolleybus system - the overhead ended at Wilson and it probably wasn't worth the money to extend it up to Steeles. The TTC rationalized a lot of routes in the west end when the trolleybus system closed so I guess the TTC thought extending the 89 didn't make sense.

The only issue is that the 165 is effectively a branch of the 96, frequencies on Wilson would have to be increased to compensate for the removal of the 165. Service on the 96 alone is 8-9 minutes at peak which is not enough.

• 2 weeks later...