YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

On 1/20/2017 at 8:12 PM, York Transit said:

Wait WHAT? Where did you find that out? Link pls

That is incorrect. 

They actually had to switch the buses to one-zone systemwide specifically because they couldn't get their fare cards to work on the zone system lol.

Getting presto to work with the multiple zone system would be pretty easy, GO handles it fine, though I don't know if the presto hardware YRT uses is the same as the system on the GO buses. It would require a tap on and tap off, and seeing how the majority of YRT trips are in one zone, they'd end up with complaints about people forgetting to tap off and being charged a three zone fare.

54 minutes ago, tommike said:

Is the viva orange on a change route?

Why has the yrt and viva bus stop calling the route when the doors open?

I believe because its not succeed since exterior announcements are speaking very slow and can't hear sometimes I believe.

16 hours ago, York Transit said:

Yea, the AG300s were scheduled to be replaced at the 12 year mark.

I guess they rescheduled their replacement? Do you have the link to the report? Cant find it on their website :)

"However, the Region's vehicle replacement strategy for 40 foot buses is 18 years." It's under their refurbishment section, I guess this includes all and not just viva ones including the new novas.

However their site has had outdated stuff before, so it's quite possible 18 years could be the old outline. Tho if one thinks about it they claim to be pro green but keeping a bus too far it's recommended date they'd be counteracting what they've said, making the 2051 pure electric that more unbelievable.

Also any updates on that new pay app they teased us with back in September?

Edited by Egg-Roll
Spelling

4 hours ago, tommike said:

Why has the yrt and viva bus stop calling the route when the doors open?

Because it's the law.

Dan

12 hours ago, smallspy said:

Because it's the law.

Dan

As pointed out above you misread, however there is no law (that I've found thus far, will keep looking however) to force public transit to announce any stop unless requested, this includes internal audio systems.

As for why they stopped, I think it was more annoying than useful because the speakers where crackling, and the vans speakers didn't sound like they where designed for audio. The worst subway announcers from the 90's prob where doing a better job than the speakers where.

Oh I still hear yrt buses calling out the route sometimes, or did.

actually human rights said the bus must call out stops.  If the announcement system failed, the operator has to call out each stop.  I know a driver got discipline for not calling out the stops when the automated announcement failed.

9 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

I think you read his post wrong... He said stop announcing 

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

As pointed out above you misread, however there is no law (that I've found thus far, will keep looking however) to force public transit to announce any stop unless requested, this includes internal audio systems.

As for why they stopped, I think it was more annoying than useful because the speakers where crackling, and the vans speakers didn't sound like they where designed for audio. The worst subway announcers from the 90's prob where doing a better job than the speakers where.

Oh I still hear yrt buses calling out the route sometimes, or did.

Oh, I read it just fine. You both may want to re-read his post, however - he was talking about when the doors were open.

By 2024, all transit vehicles must be equipped with internal and external announcing systems - the internal one is paired with a display and announces the stops as they approach. The external one is required to announce the route and destination of the vehicle when the doors are open.

Dan

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smallspy said:

Oh, I read it just fine. You both may want to re-read his post, however - he was talking about when the doors were open.

By 2024, all transit vehicles must be equipped with internal and external announcing systems - the internal one is paired with a display and announces the stops as they approach. The external one is required to announce the route and destination of the vehicle when the doors are open.

Dan

Yeah he said when the doors open, he asked why did it stop announcing (probably from a broken speaker or some sort)... I have no idea where you got that there's a law..

3 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Yeah he said when the doors open, he asked why did it stop announcing (probably from a broken speaker or some sort)... I have no idea where you got that there's a law..

There is something from the AODA that requires this in I believe 2025.

On 1/24/2017 at 3:17 PM, Egg-Roll said:

"However, the Region's vehicle replacement strategy for 40 foot buses is 18 years." It's under their refurbishment section, I guess this includes all and not just viva ones including the new novas.

However their site has had outdated stuff before, so it's quite possible 18 years could be the old outline. Tho if one thinks about it they claim to be pro green but keeping a bus too far it's recommended date they'd be counteracting what they've said, making the 2051 pure electric that more unbelievable.

Also any updates on that new pay app they teased us with back in September?

Ah, yes I assume the AG300s will be retired starting this or next year.

According to the reports on York.ca, Viva buses will start getting "replacement" units as opposed to expansion units starting in 2018.

10 hours ago, York Transit said:

According to the reports on York.ca, Viva buses will start getting "replacement" units as opposed to expansion units starting in 2018.

Answered your own question starting in 2018

15 hours ago, York Transit said:

Anything regarding which buses will be retired? (5201-5225/7201-7205/8201-8211)

On 2017-01-25 at 5:07 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

I have no idea where you got that there's a law..

Look up the "Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act" and get back to me.

Dan

12 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

I would assume those units would be transferred to the conventional side like the previous Van Hool's or maybe they are slated for Sell'N Scrap.

On 2017. 1. 26. at 3:15 PM, Hexagonal 10 said:

Depends of how many buses York Region ordered which is not confirmed yet. 2005/2007 Van Hools went 'minor' refurbishments after TOK takes their contract, they may stay bit longer. If they order more than 10-15 buses, I may start assuming some of them will be retired. However 'restructed' orange and silver will need some expansion buses .

On 2017. 1. 27. at 3:43 AM, TTC 9701 said:

I would assume those units would be transferred to the conventional side like the previous Van Hool's or maybe they are slated for Sell'N Scrap.

Since YRT isn't using 'articulated bus' on conventional routes. So keeping or scrap.

1 hour ago, Viva5113 said:

Depends of how many buses York Region ordered which is not confirmed yet. 2005/2007 Van Hools went 'minor' refurbishments after TOK takes their contract, they may stay bit longer. If they order more than 10-15 buses, I may start assuming some of them will be retired. However 'restructed' orange and silver will need some expansion buses .

This year's new Orange branch to Promenade will require I'm guessing around 5-7 new buses depending on the frequency and timing. There are a bunch of LFS Artics being built now, which will go into service on Pink and free up more 40ft buses to use on Orange. Silver will not require any new buses; the discontinued portions of Orange south of VMC and Purple south of Keele/7 should free up enough buses for Silver to use.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 1:02 PM, Viva5113 said:

Since YRT isn't using 'articulated bus' on conventional routes. So keeping or scrap.

Maybe. I am just going to wait and see. Maybe even converting the Artics for the busy routes on the YRT section. I noticed that those Orion V fill up pretty fast at Finch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

. I noticed that those Orion V fill up pretty fast at Finch.

The only routes that orion V's are on at finch are 300-304, which i ride all the time and rarely see anyone standing, so an artic wouldnt be needed on those routes.

1 minute ago, H4 5600 said:

The only routes that orion V's are on at finch are 300-304, which i ride all the time and rarely see anyone standing, so an artic wouldnt be needed on those routes.

77 looks like a route that could benefit, but probably not the 77A.

34 minutes ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

77 looks like a route that could benefit, but probably not the 77A.

Not with the incoming changes to Viva Orange.

I would expect that route to have service cut back dramatically once the VNEP goes into effect.

• Like 1

No idea about it has been discussed here yet, but updated document of Spadina Subway Strategy has been online!

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/service-plans.aspx

Revising Routes

Sheppard West (Downsview) station

105 - YRT assumes its operation. The change from initial proposal is keep current TTC's routing to service Sheppard West(Downsview) Station.

Pioneer Village Station

3 / 22A - Keep current routing with serving Pioneer Village Station.

100 - York U shuttle. It got new proposed route number which formerly known as 101.

107 - Assumes operation from TTC. The change from initial proposal is serving the York University.

165 - Same as initial propose to serve Pioneer Village.

Also all route that will/keep serving York U has been revised to keep current routing and serve current bus terminal.

VMC /407 Station

10 - Same as Initial plan that serves VMC station instead going to York U.

20 - Same as initial proposal that serve all three stations.

26 - Same as initial proposal that route extends to VMC station.

35 - Assume operation from TTC. same as initial proposal.

360 - Discontinued. 

Silver - New route per VNEP.

Orange - Serving rapidway station at VMC (per VNEP).

77 - Serving on street stop on Hwy 7, 77A will keep its current operation

Brampton 501/501A - 501 Will end at VMC station on street stop. Share rapidway with Orange. 501A will serve on street on Steeles and terminate at Hwy 407 station.

760 has been not included as part of this plan, which means it will keep its operation.

Fleet Requirements. 

With new documents posted on site, YRT will need additional 18 buses in total, However I pretty sure that 77 and 20 might get service reduction since new viva services will be been matched with its routing, so resources from these routes may use as additional fleet, which means less fleet will be require.

As per moving to 2020 plan, they will require from 409 to 434 Conventional buses and 133 to 148 viva buses. Which means YRT require to purchase 25 conventional and 15 viva buses as expansion in this year. However I pretty sure at this time we have 405 conventional and 123 viva buses. I pretty sure the actual # of buses that they buying will not exact from document. I think viva won't need to buy 25 more buses as expansion.

So please think this amounts just as my assumptions. 

19 minutes ago, Viva5113 said:

Fleet Requirements. 

With new documents posted on site, YRT will need additional 18 buses in total, However I pretty sure that 77 and 20 might get service reduction since new viva services will be been matched with its routing, so resources from these routes may use as additional fleet, which means less fleet will be require.

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/2016-Spadina-Subway-Strategy/2016-Spadina-Subway-Strategy_VMC-Station.pdf Page 3 of this document states 15 minute frequencies will be maintained.

• Like 1