YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

1 hour ago, H4 5600 said:

Does anyone know if drivers are supposed to give transfers when you tap with presto, for transferring to route 129? As i tapped on the 16 today and asked the driver for a transfer so i could switch to the 129, but he said that i could just tap again on the 129 and it would be accepted as a transfer, and wouldnt give me one, even after i explained to hime that it wouldnt work, as the contracted routes presto machines dont accept yrt transfers.

Fortunately i found a transfer on the seats so i didnt have to tap again on the 129, but if i didnt i would have had to pay an extra fare.

drivers are technically suppose to hand out transfers if requested.  The presto machine will work fine if you transfer from 16 to 129.  The presto machines on TTC can't not handle YRT fares and also the downtown express routes  So technically you are suppose to use other method of payment when you are getting on/off at York Region area.  

28 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

drivers are technically suppose to hand out transfers if requested.  The presto machine will work fine if you transfer from 16 to 129.  The presto machines on TTC can't not handle YRT fares and also the downtown express routes  So technically you are suppose to use other method of payment when you are getting on/off at York Region area.  

I know the machine does work, but if i already have a transfer loaded on my presto card it seems like a waste to tap it and lose more money. It also seems like a waste if i have a transfer on my card already to pay another fare as "alternate payment method".

If they want people to switch to that card, they should just eliminate the 129A and put a yrt route there to avoid problems like this, as more people switch to presto, more fare disputes will occur.

9 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Metrolinx is working on the problem.  

You sure about that? I've been able to do this simple logic via php for at least 10 years, many friends who work with c can do it too in short time... Just collect the GPS/stop id and if yrt charge x amount, southbound is reverse logic. It would prob take me 30-45 min to program it (being very slow) and another 2 hours to either edit or populate the database of stops...

But wait, isn't it as easy as copy and paste? Considering they do have GO...

Presto is a great idea, just in the wrong hands. Hence I won't own one until yrt/ttc blackmails me into one (stops selling physical passes), at which time, I'll just buy a Tesla M3.

@H4 5600 next time tell the driver to call control to see if they can, if they refuse or don't call the yrt customer service line and talk to them about it. 

16 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yrt isn't provide special transfer for presto users. ONLY Brampton 501 provides that special transfer to connect with TTC routes

Regarding the transferring to TTC with Presto, YRT's official stance is buy tickets and do not use Presto according to Talk2YRT.

Another glitch I discovered with YRT unfortunately is travelling between zones. I tapped in Zone 2 without telling the driver I was going to Zone 1. I assumed the bus I was transferring to in Zone 1 would recognize I already tapped and would upgrade me for $1 automatically.

Nope, you will full out be charged $3.50 in Zone 2 and another $3.50 in Zone 1. This is dumb dumb dumb! It's something that YRT has been aware of since Presto was introduced but they choose to do nothing about it.

3 hours ago, York Transit said:

Regarding the transferring to TTC with Presto, YRT's official stance is buy tickets and do not use Presto according to Talk2YRT.

Another glitch I discovered with YRT unfortunately is travelling between zones. I tapped in Zone 2 without telling the driver I was going to Zone 1. I assumed the bus I was transferring to in Zone 1 would recognize I already tapped and would upgrade me for $1 automatically.

Nope, you will full out be charged $3.50 in Zone 2 and another $3.50 in Zone 1. This is dumb dumb dumb! It's something that YRT has been aware of since Presto was introduced but they choose to do nothing about it.

Yeah I've found that problem too but I don't think they're going to fix it considering they're getting rid of the fare zones in July.

4 hours ago, BedardZ0754 said:

Yeah I've found that problem too but I don't think they're going to fix it considering they're getting rid of the fare zones in July.

Wait WHAT? Where did you find that out? Link pls

5 hours ago, swimmer_spe said:

They should talk to Translink (transit in Vancouver). They have multiple fare zones and their card works seamless.

That is incorrect. 

They actually had to switch the buses to one-zone systemwide specifically because they couldn't get their fare cards to work on the zone system lol.

1 hour ago, York Transit said:

Wait WHAT? Where did you find that out? Link pls

From the YRT website: "Note: As of July 1, 2017, fare zone upgrades will be eliminated to simplify fare structure." If you scroll down to the 2017, 2018 and 2019 fares are listed, you'll see the note. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, BedardZ0754 said:

From the YRT website: "Note: As of July 1, 2017, fare zone upgrades will be eliminated to simplify fare structure." If you scroll down to the 2017, 2018 and 2019 fares are listed, you'll see the note. 

So I guess they're also going to eliminate tickets?

It's about time... I pointed it out years ago how stupid segregating the region was (not in those words).

It also means I'm going to save $30 a month, which I like. Which made a semi bad Friday into a awesome one.

I don't think they'd be that dumb to get rid of tickets, unless 75% ticket users are now using Presto, but if that's the case they are risking in losing the 25%.
Because this won't take effect till July we'll have to wait till around March or the news pamphlet from around then to find out if they keep or remove tickets.

9 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Someone just brought something to my attention, how would the GTA weekly pass work as it only allowed zone 1.

Extra $1 for zone 2.

I noticed the layer of plastic protecting the windows have been removed from the 10xx Nova's. Still on the 13xx Nova's.

Is there any purpose to those things aside from protecting windows from scratchitti? Were they removed during rebuild?

34 minutes ago, York Transit said:

I noticed the layer of plastic protecting the windows have been removed from the 10xx Nova's. Still on the 13xx Nova's.

Is there any purpose to those things aside from protecting windows from scratchitti? Were they removed during rebuild?

I'd say it's unlikely they were rebuilt since it's only been a maximum of 7 years since they've been here.

23 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

I'd say it's unlikely they were rebuilt since it's only been a maximum of 7 years since they've been here.

The 2010 LFXs have been through a refurbishment program. They only have a 12 year lifespan. And I believe they receive treatment at 6 years.

You can tell which ones have been refurbished from the yellow accents added to the interior.

On 22/01/2017 at 0:07 AM, York Transit said:

Well they sucked at it if that was their only purpose, but as far as I can tell they don't have any purpose but that. Tho I'm on bus 1371 and I don't see it on the back Windows.

5 hours ago, York Transit said:

The 2010 LFXs have been through a refurbishment program. They only have a 12 year lifespan. And I believe they receive treatment at 6 years.

It's a good idea to reference when you can ;)

Tho the vehicle health monitoring section should be before refurbishment, because the current order listed on the site makes it sound like they don't do any safety checks till required by law or refurbishment till one reads further down, just saying.

Also noticed the ag300's will be around till 2023, because throwing a artic on yellow is a awesome idea to do in 2024... *sarcasm*

• Like 1

On January 22, 2017 at 0:07 AM, York Transit said:

NtI noticed the layer of plastic protecting the windows have been removed from the 10xx Nova's. Still on the 13xx Nova's.

If they're anything like my units, the film is pre applied on the pane about 4-5 sheets deep. When it gets full, you rip it off, revealing the fresh sheet underneath. Of course, eventually you run out of sheets to peel. At that point the window must be replaced.

likely enough time has elapsed that all the film sheets have been consumed.

14 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

If they're anything like my units, the film is pre applied on the pane about 4-5 sheets deep. When it gets full, you rip it off, revealing the fresh sheet underneath. Of course, eventually you run out of sheets to peel. At that point the window must be replaced.

likely enough time has elapsed that all the film sheets have been consumed.

It's actually not a film applied on the window. Its literally a separate piece of plastic that is screwed in about 1cm away from the window itself.

Considering how bright the Viva interiors are on the LFXs, the plastic made it EXTREMELY difficult to gaze outside at night. Made everything look double like what someone witth astigmatism would see.

16 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Well they sucked at it if that was their only purpose, but as far as I can tell they don't have any purpose but that. Tho I'm on bus 1371 and I don't see it on the back Windows.

It's a good idea to reference when you can ;)

Tho the vehicle health monitoring section should be before refurbishment, because the current order listed on the site makes it sound like they don't do any safety checks till required by law or refurbishment till one reads further down, just saying.

Also noticed the ag300's will be around till 2023, because throwing a artic on yellow is a awesome idea to do in 2024... *sarcasm*

Yea, the AG300s were scheduled to be replaced at the 12 year mark.

I guess they rescheduled their replacement? Do you have the link to the report? Cant find it on their website :)