Jump to content

York Region Transit \ Viva


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope everyone has had a chance to calm down. Please keep in mind moving forward: do not antagonize other members and do not contribute to a thread's decline. Simply report bad behaviour, and the adm

All units to be operated by Southwest (which rules out the 90), will be used on the 20 for now.

Posted Images

On 9/6/2016 at 11:03 PM, York Transit said:

LOL So they got rid of the new fabric design the bus got in 2010 and put back fabric from 2001 back in.

They added a small cushion at the top of the seat that hardly makes the seat anymore comfortable. The wifi was fast and reliable though. :)

Maybe they had a ton of that fabric leftover since the V's are retiring? :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neoupa2002 said:

Maybe they had a ton of that fabric leftover since the V's are retiring? :P

Looks like since they keep use old stndard fabrics for D40LF refurbishments (looks like they done this on the place they refarbricaed it), So they using same farbric with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1064 had sign issues on Friday and both front and side signs where completely out. The driver was telling everyone getting on which they seemed to have no issue doing.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2197517354

Not sure if this is the speed it should be or not. Funny part is it has great range, so much that a passenger in a car 2 car lengths back can gain access.

The bus also sounded like it was struggling just to keep 100 kmh, it sits at 90 just fine but not 100.

OWdDeRD.png

Reason I GPS logged it was because the bus sounded terrible at highway speeds and going to die at any second. Still have no idea why they used a bus ment for local communities for highway use. Unless they are writing a book with the title "how to destroy a bus 101".

The bus seats are insight therefore not "ergonomic", well if you want a very lose definition of ergonomic they slide in. I understand the requirements to fit most people but insight to me is not ergonomic enough to be called "ergonomic seats". 

I really wish companies would stop doing that, it's not illegal but it's deceptive, just to make the seats sound better than any other seat in the fleet . Plus I was far from comfortable in those seats (sat in the very back), it kind of felt like they used concrete as padding, perhaps my height or location on the bus (this one shouldn't matter tho), but if they don't get better it be better to take Yonge, for me at least. It's only a 30 minute savings tops, plus i have a 10-25% chance of getting a van hool heading home, or if lucky catching a earlier bus (if the first bus i usually catch is fast enough).

19 hours ago, vivablue5215 said:

Well the Vs aren't retiring for another couple of years at least.

I'd have to agree the van hools will likely see max age, possibly longer if it's allowed, making them York regions T6H-5307N. In the last 8.5 years I've seen/been on 3 maybe 5 vans that broke down or had out of service worthy technical issues (not including snow storms, accidents etc). Nova buses however I've been on at least that in the last 3.5 years not including minor technical issues that require restarting, or just down right annoying ones (like the doors sensors bugging out, that also plague the vans but not as frequent). 


Also is it just me or do the 2013 novas have worst suspensions than the others? My morning drink keeps trying to spill on me, on them even sometimes at the newly paved Bloomington intersection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2016 at 7:08 AM, Egg-Roll said:

Also is it just me or do the 2013 novas have worst suspensions than the others? My morning drink keeps trying to spill on me, on them even sometimes at the newly paved Bloomington intersection.

I wonder if the axles being closer together has an effect on that at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else thought of this idea when it comes to tickets?

There have been times that I had a YRT/VIVA ticket that was close to expiring and I had to buy an additional ticket just in case I got stopped as to not get fined for having an expired ticket when it was the last bus I needed to get home:

On the VIVA ticketing machines, they could have an option called "Extend my ticket" for a small price would give you; say 10-15 minutes after your initial ticket expires. A YRT driver/ VIVA ticket checker would have to see both the "Extend my ticket" plus the original ticket that is expired/close to expiring in order for it to work. As my mom put it, it's the transit equivalent of putting a nickel in a parking meter.

Obviously, there would be limitations on this; you wouldn't be able to extend your ticket extension.

However, I haven't quite figured out how to get one outside the VIVA network.

Despite this, does else think it's a good idea?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

Has anyone else thought of this idea when it comes to tickets?

There have been times that I had a YRT/VIVA ticket that was close to expiring and I had to buy an additional ticket just in case I got stopped as to not get fined for having an expired ticket when it was the last bus I needed to get home:

On the VIVA ticketing machines, they could have an option called "Extend my ticket" for a small price would give you; say 10-15 minutes after your initial ticket expires. A YRT driver/ VIVA ticket checker would have to see both the "Extend my ticket" plus the original ticket that is expired/close to expiring in order for it to work. As my mom put it, it's the transit equivalent of putting a nickel in a parking meter.

Obviously, there would be limitations on this; you wouldn't be able to extend your ticket extension.

However, I haven't quite figured out how to get one outside the VIVA network.

Despite this, does else think it's a good idea?

The ability to extend the Presto trip time is (or was) available on Go buses.  Not sure whether this process is part of the driver training or if policies were developed for its use.  It would be beneficial when buses run late (due to weather or collisions) and a trip that would normally occur within the allowable travel time took longer.

Case in point - I took GO route 19 from Finch to Square One.  Snow caused the trip to take three hours.  When I tapped off at Square One I was charged the remainder of the fare from Finch to Oakville plus a full second fare from Oakville to Square One.  Having the driver extend the trip time on my Presto card prior to tap off would have resolved that issue.  The same or a similar process could be applied on the municipal systems and an option added to the offboard fare collection devices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought go was location based... That's a issue that imo should not exist.

I was on a yrt bus 2 winters ago where the driver got a female upset and started crying because presto doesn't care about winter weather. Plus a normal driver could extend time possibly on yrt, but a viva driver can't. The best thing is bus drivers should have the decency to accept invalid transfers during bad weather or unforeseen traffic issues. A way of checking said claim on yrt buses would be great on said occasions.

 

On 11/09/2016 at 7:07 PM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I wonder if the axles being closer together has an effect on that at all.

Never really put that as a possibility but then all nova buses including the ttc ones on Dufferin would have said issues including the viva 2010's (some do but they are 6 years old), wouldn't they?

 

I don't recall seeing 1065 with decals on it. If it never did it does now, bus is also far more quiet engine wise near highway speed, till it decides to downshift on it's own accord...

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I thought go was location based... That's a issue that imo should not exist.

GO is location-based, but there's also a hard-wired maximum time limit built into each trip - I think that it's 2 and a half hours.

 

Dan

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Still something that shouldn't exist for go because of their tap on tap off procedure... If the rider misses their stop due to their own actions (like sleeping) then sure charge the round trip but it should be geo based not schedule/time based.

 

Yrt/region are doing road work along hwy 7 as some sections do need repair mostly due to trucks or large amounts of traffic (not sure about some of the seemingly random chewed up sections because as a passenger you can't see the road you travel). Some buses can be delayed, mostly caused by over reaction on braking and lower speed at the scattered sections of crewed up pavement.

 

Also 1066 is now wrapped with the 320 decals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Still something that shouldn't exist for go because of their tap on tap off procedure... If the rider misses their stop due to their own actions (like sleeping) then sure charge the round trip but it should be geo based not schedule/time based.

It has to exist, because the system needs a way to close off a trip if someone forgets to tap out. It's a necessary evil.

 

They originally had it set at 4 hours, and they realized that was way too long, and allowed for some interesting and negative side-effects in the back-end side of things. Those side-effects virtually disappeared when they set it for 2 and a half hours.

 

Dan

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2016 at 0:01 AM, Streety McCarface said:

Here it is: the corniest advertisement in the history of public transit, brought to you by York Region Transit. It took me 4 weeks to find this, and I thought I lost it forever. 

Well that's a minute and a half I'll never get back. It just shows the unlimited potential of YRT's bottomless advertising budget versus its service budget. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

The real time tracker is just Google maps api, just with custom images...

Hmm actually that sounds awfully familiar...

http://www.thehosthelpers.com/how-tos-tips-tricks/google-maps-api/

Oh their new video on the main page is hilarious... (phone really wanted fatuous)

 

Last one above was just bad, this one (I had no audio) was well... Just proof they should do stand-up comedy than public transit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YRT1007 said:

1601 has been delivered, and is currently sitting at Southwest Yard. Was unable to get a picture this morning during pullout, and not sure of its Assignment. Hopefully it's ours.

Nice. Only thing i pretty sure is sw might get alot due to they give vehicles to other division.

However It's YRT we can't except what they've decide. Not sure how many will be delivered. Its still a mystery about how many buses will be delivered at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Service updates start Nov 6.

https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/service-changes.aspx

It hurt my head to find it on their mobile site...

But routes 440/450 made it worth the hassle, tho why wait 2 months to fix a issue of such importance?

760 is a interesting update too, as early birds want to be there before it opens on black Friday. I tried to get the schedule for Nov 25th, however I traveled back in time to 2015 in tripplanner and was stuck there...

 

On 22/10/2016 at 2:11 PM, Viva5113 said:

However It's YRT we can't except what they've decide. Not sure how many will be delivered. Its still a mystery about how many buses will be delivered at all.

 

https://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/yorkpublic/7c2b9339-ed7c-4f7b-b317-833e2cc35cbc/jan+8+award+ex.pdf

"28 additional buses are required by 2017 as 
identified in the proposed budget outlook."
We got 18 of the 16, likely 2 belong to the 28. Therefore unless they spent all their procurement budget on the ride the bus ads we should see another 26 by end of 2017, unless I read that all wrong...

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Service updates start Nov 6.

https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/service-changes.aspx

It hurt my head to find it on their mobile site...

But routes 440/450 made it worth the hassle, tho why wait 2 months to fix a issue of such importance?

760 is a interesting update too, as early birds want to be there before it opens on black Friday. I tried to get the schedule for Nov 25th, however I traveled back in time to 2015 in tripplanner and was stuck there...

 

 

https://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/yorkpublic/7c2b9339-ed7c-4f7b-b317-833e2cc35cbc/jan+8+award+ex.pdf

"28 additional buses are required by 2017 as 

identified in the proposed budget outlook."

We got 18 of the 16, likely 2 belong to the 28. Therefore unless they spent all their procurement budget on the ride the bus ads we should see another 26 by end of 2017, unless I read that all wrong...

Looks like new website has technical difficulties, I can't do anything with it.

This might make sense that at least 10 buses will be purchased to meet that requirement. But because of overall bus shortage experienced, they might change their mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2044 locked this topic
  • 2044 unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...