York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Only 563's shell remains in the dead lot on Miller Ave.

I can confirm 307 was in service this afternoon, someone I know got a photo of it earlier today.

cmc12, do you know the status of 545, 1189, and 1190? 545 hasn't seen service at all this year, and 589/590 doesn't seem to use Arbocs anymore.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express will launch September - and apparently will use buses with "ergonomic seating and wifi": http://yrt.ca/en/serviceupdates/resources/mytransit/Fall2016_MyTransit_web.pdf

On another note, launch of 390 Leslie Express has been postponed and will not start next month.

Not sure what they mean by "ergonomic seating". Either means dedicated 9xx buses from North division, or even perhaps they will be stealing some Orion Vs from Southeast? They require 3 buses for service, which means likely 4 buses fitting this definition. Wi-Fi is also interesting, none of the current fleet has that.

390 isn't mentioned anywhere except the 2016 Service Plan, but I suspect the lack of its implementation is due to not having recieved our 2016 Metrolinx consortium Novas. Typically YRT has their buses arrive around July for service improvements to start in September, but with the current shortage it was difficult enough just to start service on 24 Woodbine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express will launch September - and apparently will use buses with "ergonomic seating and wifi": http://yrt.ca/en/serviceupdates/resources/mytransit/Fall2016_MyTransit_web.pdf

On another note, launch of 390 Leslie Express has been postponed and will not start next month.

Also noticed in the newsletter you linked that YRT/Viva will also be launching YRTViva Pay. 

Buying tickets through a mobile device that the TTC currently has for the day pass. I will admit the first time I used a TTC day pass on my mobile device, most drivers didn't know what it was or how it worked. Though, I personally prefer using Presto which I always plan to load mine in advance or in-person to avoid the lag time. 

The use of mobile technology is always expanding. Looking forward to see how useful YRTViva Pay will be in both the business operations and customer experience. 

6 hours ago, Articulated said:

Not sure what they mean by "ergonomic seating". Either means dedicated 9xx buses from North division, or even perhaps they will be stealing some Orion Vs from Southeast? They require 3 buses for service, which means likely 4 buses fitting this definition. Wi-Fi is also interesting, none of the current fleet has that.

I also find it very interesting that Wi-Fi is being equipped on the buses. Hopefully it goes well especially with the coverage area and maintaining a consistent signal being the main factors on providing the service. 

Personally, I really don't use public Wi-Fi networks and stick to my cellular data plan (I am with Wind Mobile). With Wi-Fi becoming available in more places to keep people connected, it is a good area to test the waters on usefulness and cost of the cellular data to provide the access to those that want it before expanding further. 

On 8/13/2016 at 2:36 PM, Kristopher said:

Thanks for the info! How about the 2004s?

All 03, 04, & 05 Flyers, some 06 Flyers, & 707 are refurbished. As part of the refurbishment process,passenger counters were installed in unit 707. All Flyers, including the non-refurbished units, also received exterior cameras.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2016 at 5:31 PM, Articulated said:

390 isn't mentioned anywhere except the 2016 Service Plan, but I suspect the lack of its implementation is due to not having recieved our 2016 Metrolinx consortium Novas. Typically YRT has their buses arrive around July for service improvements to start in September, but with the current shortage it was difficult enough just to start service on 24 Woodbine.

They might take a few A330 van hools and convert them. I would expect the buses to be some sort of rolling billboard like the 760 to wonderland is, if not they are missing out on a great opportunity.

Kiel has esos which is a "ergonomic" design type which would lean towards the A330's (the van hool's did have tv's at one time also so wiring a Wi-Fi unit in them shouldn't be hard). American seating does have vision but unlike esos it's metal framed which yrt has not used in any fleet I've been on (recently at least). But it really depends on what yrt defines as ergonomic and might leave the seats as is, which we likely won't know till launch day. The current seating setups for yrt buses don't really follow the true definition of ergonomic the closest seat setup are the van hools for the viva (I think yrt versions too but I've not been on one in almost a year), as you can be on a road like Yonge/Wellington for a hour with minimal issues.

The 320 could also be an attempt to keep the northern users during Yonge's viva next transformation via a alternate route, esp if they want to step up construction. It also gives viva yellow more of a purpose in life.

For the 390, if it succeeds then they would likely continue with implementing if not I'd expect the green would be dropped in total and the 390 to cease in favour of using the buses elsewhere. Honestly tho the green has been sitting on the backburner for years so postponing it to keep current clientele happy is a wise choice.

The ttc likely gave yrt upwards to a years notice about possibly/likely stopping the 224 route, it was the better of the 2 routes (68 being the other) to discontinue. The 24 route needs about 6 buses during peak times.

I'm not sure why they decided to go threw metrolinx besides it being cheaper and being able to back out with minimal/no loss, with possibly higher priority. Which in this case becomes a useless benefit and can quickly turn into a huge issue depending on the mechanical issues the current fleet bring up. 

I'm fairly certain nova would of offered a equal or better price if they went directly to them to buy 20/30 units over 3-5 years.

On 12/08/2016 at 11:58 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Also noticed in the newsletter you linked that YRT/Viva will also be launching YRTViva Pay. 

Buying tickets through a mobile device that the TTC currently has for the day pass. I will admit the first time I used a TTC day pass on my mobile device, most drivers didn't know what it was or how it worked. Though, I personally prefer using Presto which I always plan to load mine in advance or in-person to avoid the lag time. 

The use of mobile technology is always expanding. Looking forward to see how useful YRTViva Pay will be in both the business operations and customer experience.

YRTViva Pay is likely a retaliation measure towards presto fees. I think presto charges upwards to 5% per tap or a flat fee of 0.05 - 0.15 per tap (I forget now last I looked it up was the announcement about going 100% presto /paperless for monthly passes). If their new pay app works with online banking (unlike the ttc day pass app) and offers monthly passes and all the benefits of presto less the card I might use it. The reason why I say retaliation is because it's really pointless to introduce a new payment system (esp one that can have you locked out of your account if the phones stolen or lost, depending on how they set up the accounts system) when presto already works as such, granted with a card, but the card is given out free several times a year. It's likely cheaper to print a ticket for the timestamp machines than to pay presto their fee, hence the app.

Edited by Egg-Roll

45 minutes ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

So no ergonomic seats and wifi?

They said outside, I'll try to catch one today and see about the seats and Wi-Fi.

But the fact they are using the small buses says more of a kind gesture to the northern users than attempting to get drivers in said areas to use their service.

They set up A frames at Richmond hill and Newmarket stations (didn't notice at finch), likely one at the carpool lot too. The map shows Durham transit connection however. I'll try looking at the transit map tomorrow to see if they added them to the list of connections as well

IMG_20160904_070616017.jpg

On 9/6/2016 at 11:03 PM, York Transit said:

LOL So they got rid of the new fabric design the bus got in 2010 and put back fabric from 2001 back in.

They added a small cushion at the top of the seat that hardly makes the seat anymore comfortable. The wifi was fast and reliable though. :)

Maybe they had a ton of that fabric leftover since the V's are retiring? :P