York Region Transit \ Viva

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope everyone has had a chance to calm down. Please keep in mind moving forward: do not antagonize other members and do not contribute to a thread's decline. Simply report bad behaviour, and the adm

All units to be operated by Southwest (which rules out the 90), will be used on the 20 for now.

Posted Images

YRT Route 800 is operated by VIVA artics.

So how does fare payment work? :/

-----

EDIT: I don't know if the bus was actually in service. I saw a VIVA Novabus Artic signed 800 PAN AM @ Unionville GO Station @ 11:45pm.

AFAIK route 800 is only supposed to be signed for Angus Glen CC to ANG for the golf events. I believe the Viva buses were only operating as free shuttles from the parking lot at Warden to MAR.

I think viva buses should not be seen on King City anymore after contract changes. Something happend (like charter in there)?

Really? I might be going back there to go with my dad to work. If I have any spare time I'll try and get a ride on a YRT bus to see what it's like.

Really? I might be going back there to go with my dad to work. If I have any spare time I'll try and get a ride on a YRT bus to see what it's like.

If this photo taken after June 28th, I have no idea where it going.

YRT Route 800 is operated by VIVA artics.

So how does fare payment work? :/

-----

EDIT: I don't know if the bus was actually in service. I saw a VIVA Novabus Artic signed 800 PAN AM @ Unionville GO Station @ 11:45pm.

They might want to try to change the sign to 800. I think just testing.

So they just added a new "for your safety please stay seated..." message to the end of the stop announcements on viva blue.

Man crystals bionic voice is going to drive all these riders insane.....not to mention it's kind of a moot message for the standees. I really don't understand why yrt feels that we lack common sense that they need to constantly bombard us with these things

Edit: the announcements are tied to the external speakers as well so now everyone inside and out are safe.....! :/

They added those to the Purple and route 1 as well. The stop at Bayview is ridiculous. "Next stop....bayview avenue. For passengers transferring to route 91....", then "for your safety while entering or leaving the bus obey all pedestrian signals..." and finally the new "please stay seated...". That one stop announcement was still going by the time the bus got to the next stop...

They added those to the Purple and route 1 as well. The stop at Bayview is ridiculous. "Next stop....bayview avenue. For passengers transferring to route 91....", then "for your safety while entering or leaving the bus obey all pedestrian signals..." and finally the new "please stay seated...". That one stop announcement was still going by the time the bus got to the next stop...

They added it for all major stops outside the Viva network (e.g: 16 has it at 48, McCowan, Warden, Woodbine, Leslie, Bayview, Yonge, and Bathurst).

Seriously are they taking us for fools?!

It's not like the majority of the riders are riding for the first time...

We should all collectively bombard them with complaint emails...

Perhaps...they were initially bombarded with complaint emails about a lack of these messages?

Perhaps...they were initially bombarded with complaint emails about a lack of these message

No other system in the GTA , London, HK and Europe goes to such lengths...this is way too overkill... the most ive heard anywhere in the world is a warning to mind the gap in the tube because there legitimately was a gap at the odd station.

These safety messages can all be covered by signs (which they already do for the new viva stations).

No other system in the GTA , London, HK and Europe goes to such lengths...this is way too overkill... the most ive heard anywhere in the world is a warning to mind the gap in the tube because there legitimately was a gap at the odd station.

These safety messages can all be covered by signs (which they already do for the new viva stations).

MUNI in San Francisco does. You hear "please hold on" every time the bus moves. OC Transpo had similar announcements for every route and every stop affected by OnTrack2018.

I'm not supporting these announcements, but I'm sure eventually it will become white noise for most passengers.

MUNI in San Francisco does. You hear "please hold on" every time the bus moves. OC Transpo had similar announcements for every route and every stop affected by OnTrack2018.

I'm not supporting these announcements, but I'm sure eventually it will become white noise for most passengers.

Gone and done with, thankfully. But now replaced with standard PSAs ("Presto is the easy way to go, blah blah blah online, not in line something.")

So I emailed YRT last week to ask about this and they gave a standardized response

stating its to comply with AODA and the OHR Act. Does anyone know if this is a mandated thing now and

if so why doesnt TTC have similar announcements? IMO I think they are trying too hard to win brownie points

on items that arent critical rather than trying to improve other important areas like service and cost control

IMG_20150707_151826_hdr_edit.jpg

Re: 800 Pan AM signage

All the shuttle services for Pan Am have been given the same route number, 800. Angus Glen is the only advertised shuttle for the games. But there are shuttles that (when needed) go Between MAR and Finch Terminal via 407, or Finch Term to MAR via RHC.... they are meant more for the volunteers, and game day event tickets, although anyone can ride. There will also be regular YRT buses used with the same 800 signage.... these will be seen more when the events pick up....

IMG_20150707_151826_hdr_edit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I emailed YRT last week to ask about this and they gave a standardized response

stating its to comply with AODA and the OHR Act. Does anyone know if this is a mandated thing now and

if so why doesnt TTC have similar announcements? IMO I think they are trying too hard to win brownie points

on items that arent critical rather than trying to improve other important areas like service and cost control

The TTC passengers will complain right away about hearing that unnecessary announcement!

I feel as though it is being made a bigger deal than it really is. They added a few lines to an announcement, So what? If you don't like it then pop some earphones in. There are bigger issues that need to be addressed.

The TTC passengers will complain right away about hearing that unnecessary announcement!

Actually - TTC is in the process of updating all of the Toronto rockets. When the train arrives at the station, it will announce which side the doors will open on. "Arriving at - Eglinton, Eglinton station. Doors will open on the left"

I feel as though it is being made a bigger deal than it really is. They added a few lines to an announcement, So what? If you don't like it then pop some earphones in. There are bigger issues that need to be addressed.

Which is why I brought this up to begin with. YRT has way overexerted their efforts on things that dont matter and none on things that do...

And not everyone has earphones... or can tune out to crystal's bionic voice...

Actually - TTC is in the process of updating all of the Toronto rockets. When the train arrives at the station, it will announce which side the doors will open on. "Arriving at - Eglinton, Eglinton station. Doors will open on the left"

The above is a much more relevant announcement because it actually serves purpose and it varies based on the station. constantly telling people to obey a sign, hold on to something and stay seated (even if you might be a standee) is not only pointless, to more sensitive folk it could be somewhat distasteful as it may be perceived as a gesture to a lack of common sense.

Which is why I brought this up to begin with. YRT has way overexerted their efforts on things that dont matter and none on things that do...

And not everyone has earphones... or can tune out to crystal's bionic voice...

The above is a much more relevant announcement because it actually serves purpose and it varies based on the station. constantly telling people to obey a sign, hold on to something and stay seated (even if you might be a standee) is not only pointless, to more sensitive folk it could be somewhat distasteful as it may be perceived as a gesture to a lack of common sense.

Common sense really is not that common. Countless times I have witness people falling and injuring themselves because they're not securing themselves, or the bus has to brake hard/involved in a collision. People are going to be offended no matter what. People get offended over the smallest things in this day and age.

Those who get offended by the announcements really should move on IMO. - But I totally get what you're saying.

You bring up good points about the lack of common sense for some. I think it's time to move on. It was a nice discussion.

Now to look forward to the completion of the Davis Dr rapidway this year

Us in Newmarket are eager for it so we can ride Davis properly again!

On the other hand, work on the rapidway along Yonge Street in Newmarket has begun with cordoning off construction zones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2044 locked this topic
  • 2044 unlocked this topic