YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

6 hours ago, tommike said:

so now this going happen, will people smart and transfer to the zum bus to york u?

Not according to Brampton Transit. The 501 will terminate at VMC, while 501A/C will continue to serve York University via Highway 407. Anyone using the 501 in Woodbridge to get to York U will be out of luck. 

York Region has basically wiped its hands clean, especially with the "restructuring" of Viva Purple. It's a nice euphemism for a service cutback, which forces two additional transfers on the trip. It's not just "part of the plan" as Dan suggests - it's a nearly total abandonment. There's no reason why Viva Purple couldn't continue to Pioneer Village except that York Region is stingy with funding transit operating costs.

18 hours ago, UrbanToronto said:

Not according to Brampton Transit. The 501 will terminate at VMC, while 501A/C will continue to serve York University via Highway 407. Anyone using the 501 in Woodbridge to get to York U will be out of luck. 

And why wouldn't the people using the 501 in Woodbridge just transfer at VMC?

1 hour ago, J. Bullock said:

And why wouldn't the people using the 501 in Woodbridge just transfer at VMC?

1 minute ago, Kit Kat said:

Signal problems... that's why 

Probably because people got used to taking Brampton Transit straight to York University and now that they want to change it, they much rather get there with 1 fare oppose to paying for both BT and TTC.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:27 PM, Transit_Hub said:

Probably because people got used to taking Brampton Transit straight to York University and now that they want to change it, they much rather get there with 1 fare oppose to paying for both BT and TTC.

Fare integration would solve that 😎(but that's a discussion for a different day)

Fine, then transfer to the YRT 20 at Jane, transfer is valid between those two systems, crisis averted.

54 minutes ago, Transit_Hub said:

Wonder if NFI will get the order this time, that would be interesting.

Yess. Absolutely riveting. 😒

• Haha 5

I want to double check some edits to the YRT wiki page.

Have all 2005 AG300s been converted to conventional service?

Where did the information come from for buses on order? It is unsourced. Also there is a difference between what is ordered and what is projected.

22 hours ago, ADB said:

I want to double check some edits to the YRT wiki page.

Have all 2005 AG300s been converted to conventional service?

Where did the information come from for buses on order? It is unsourced. Also there is a difference between what is ordered and what is projected.

Every unit except 224/225 has been spotted in service. I have not seen 5224/5225 in service in a long time either, so whether they are still planned on being refurbished or not I'm not certain.

It looks as though the information on the 40 foot order comes from the original bid document T-17-52. Oddly Council did not approve the award of this contract like usual - it only appears as a line item on a Staff Report summarizing the awards of all contracts for a 3-month period. So unfortunately I cannot confirm at this time the exact breakdown of what was ordered other than what was listed in the original bid documents.

What happened to the rest of the Viva 17xx order? IIRC, there were suppose to be more but only 5 came and it seems that's it?

On 6/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, Ed Drass said:

Howdy, all. I note that the YRT Trip Planner is showing route 20 stopping at the SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal but I see no indication online it has opened. Is the trip planner being approximate or overly hasty...?

I’m still curious why trip planners are showing the bus terminal at VMC as open. Where does the 20 actually board and is there good signage to that effect? 

I volunteer at Traveller’s Aid in Union Station and want to give reliable directions to Vaughan Mills Mall (when the free shuttle is not an option). If there is a simple connection from the University subway line then it seems odd to direct folks to Finch station for a half hourly bus — even if the 760 does speed along the 407 and 400 to the mall and Canada’s Wonderland. https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/resources/760.pdf

C79208B9-A985-4E0E-962D-58085F3243C4.png

175266AC-2059-41A3-8C8E-3A76F5780E6C.png

Regarding the 20: if YRT is cutting back on routes around the subway extension will the 20 eventually terminate at VMC?

On 8/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, Transit_Hub said:

Wonder if NFI will get the order this time, that would be interesting.

not to mention will they come with the never used exterior door opening buttons. Have they ever been used in passenger service? Every order has them but ive never seen any being activated. Was this a relic spec from 2005 that they didnt bother removing?

Also on a wider note, will YRT/Viva ever modernise crystal? Her bionic voice is clearly way obsolete and can do with a new software upgrade

On 9/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, Ed Drass said:

Where does the 20 actually board and is there good signage to that effect? 

I stumbled upon an answer to the first part, though the wacky accompanying map gives me a hint as to how good the signage is...

https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/ttc-line-1-subway-extension.aspx#

The signage is clear once you figure out where it is, once you leave the subway station walk up millway and you will see two A frame stands stating route 20 north and south, both route 20s stop at the same place so make sure yours says 20 Teston road. During busier times there is often a supervisor there to show you which bus to board 

A0D30822-6886-4363-9D50-B94B612660D0.jpeg

On 9/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

The signage is clear once you figure out where it is, once you leave the subway station walk up millway and you will see two A frame stands stating route 20 north and south, both route 20s stop at the same place so make sure yours says 20 Teston road. During busier times there is often a supervisor there to show you which bus to board 

A0D30822-6886-4363-9D50-B94B612660D0.jpeg

Thanks. This tells me it would perhaps NOT be the best way to send visitors who may not be used to taking transit — at least until the bus bays are open. (This may be the one and only time they ever go the Vaughan Mills Mall, and not everyone is comfortable asking strangers for directions.)

On 9/5/2018 at 7:26 AM, Ed Drass said:

Thanks. This tells me it would perhaps NOT be the best way to send visitors who may not be used to taking transit — at least until the bus bays are open. (This may be the one and only time they ever go the Vaughan Mills Mall, and not everyone is comfortable asking strangers for directions.)

This is what stop looks like at VMC. all buses are boarding at same stop, regardless direction.

8BAECA13-B6C2-486E-94F8-0CAFF5F47AB5.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Viva5113 said:

8BAECA13-B6C2-486E-94F8-0CAFF5F47AB5.jpeg

And did they ever put up a temporary shelter near the stop, at least?

Any guesses how long ‘til the permanent bus bays are ready?

3 hours ago, Ed Drass said:

And did they ever put up a temporary shelter near the stop, at least?

Any guesses how long ‘til the permanent bus bays are ready?

Nope, no shelter.

Untill SmartCenters terminal is scheduled to open in this year, but exact date is not determined.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 2:15 PM, Viva5113 said:

Untill SmartCenters terminal is scheduled to open in this year, but exact date is not determined.

Just to be clear, this won't be another Cornell Terminal-type "exact date TBD" situation, right?

21 minutes ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Just to be clear, this won't be another Cornell Terminal-type "exact date TBD" situation, right?

In York Region? Hmmmm....

13 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Hmmm...

I am not sure and don't have any idea about would it make target of "end of 2018". At least we can visually see terminal is mostly done at this point, it won't be like another "delaying forever" Cornell terminal