YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

8,346 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2017 at 6:51 PM, dj.surf.lfs said:

YRT's new system map now shows all express routes - https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/resources/YRT-SystemMap_web_Apr2017.pdf

Also, starting April 30, 760 will use 400/Bass Pro Mills instead of Jane.

 
 
 

I apparently see no notable difference in the map; it's probably just updated to reflect the current routing.

On 4/19/2017 at 3:43 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Please delete.

This statement isn't clear - I see no reason why the map should be taken down: doesn't resemble the one that used to be at Downsview station in any way (which now appears here prematurely as Sheppard West - the renaming is supposed to happen at the end of the month).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

This statement isn't clear - I see no reason why the map should be taken down: doesn't resemble the one that used to be at Downsview station in any way (which now appears here prematurely as Sheppard West - the renaming is supposed to happen at the end of the month).

When someone says "Delete" or "Please delete" they mean that they want their own message deleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I apparently see no notable difference in the map; it's probably just updated to reflect the current routing.

This statement isn't clear - I see no reason why the map should be taken down: doesn't resemble the one that used to be at Downsview station in any way

So, the map has no noticeable change but somehow doesnt resemble the current one at downsview? Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, you guys might know me from the MiWay thread. I have plans of taking some last pictures of the YRT Orion Vs before they retire. Does anyone know when they usually appear? the wiki says they're on the express routes going from finch to bur oak during rush, but are there anywhere else I can see them at? I'm also planning on visiting YRT southeast division, so does anyone know where that is? thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

Hey guys, you guys might know me from the MiWay thread. I have plans of taking some last pictures of the YRT Orion Vs before they retire. Does anyone know when they usually appear? the wiki says they're on the express routes going from finch to bur oak during rush, but are there anywhere else I can see them at? I'm also planning on visiting YRT southeast division, so does anyone know where that is? thanks!

Southeast division is South of Highway 7, North of 14th Avenue along Woodbine Avenue, https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Miller+Transit+Limited/@43.8342666,-79.3589131,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe86654f0269ee157!8m2!3d43.8384814!4d-79.3574801?hl=en

Also, they appear on the 18 Bur Oak with the 14:27 run from Angus Glen CC usually being an Orion V, heck you might bump into me along Bur Oak as I live around that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

Hey guys, you guys might know me from the MiWay thread. I have plans of taking some last pictures of the YRT Orion Vs before they retire. Does anyone know when they usually appear? the wiki says they're on the express routes going from finch to bur oak during rush, but are there anywhere else I can see them at? I'm also planning on visiting YRT southeast division, so does anyone know where that is? thanks!

Best plan IMO is to take the second 303 bur oak express from finch at pm rush, it leaves at around 4:25 or so but its usually at the terminal by 4, in the layover area. Get off at butternut lane and take viva purple or 1 to montgomery, then catch the same bus you had on 303 going west to finch on the 5:50 300 business express. You can get on the 300 on the NE corner of highway 7 & montgomery. 99% of the time this trip is a V (at least on fridays it is, thats when i usually ride it). This trip should cost you one express fare, and should get you back to finch between 6:30-6:50.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank guys, I looked up Southeast Miller on google maps, and i realized that some buses are parked outside. Are the Orion Vs usually parked inside or outside? when are they usually at the garage?

20 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

Southeast division is South of Highway 7, North of 14th Avenue along Woodbine Avenue, https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Miller+Transit+Limited/@43.8342666,-79.3589131,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe86654f0269ee157!8m2!3d43.8384814!4d-79.3574801?hl=en

Also, they appear on the 18 Bur Oak with the 14:27 run from Angus Glen CC usually being an Orion V, heck you might bump into me along Bur Oak as I live around that area.

do you mean 1:27 or 2:37???? there is no 2:27 bus according to YRT

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

Thank guys, I looked up Southeast Miller on google maps, and i realized that some buses are parked outside. Are the Orion Vs usually parked inside or outside? when are they usually at the garage?

do you mean 1:27 or 2:37???? there is no 2:27 bus according to YRT

 

The Miller garage is all outdoor storage underneath the hydro corridor. The roadway is public to allow access to the golf range at the end, but the shops and the outdoor area where the buses are stored is private property, so please be sensible and don't poke around where you're not supposed to.

If anyone is looking for Orion V rides, they are primarily on express routes (300, 301, 302, 303, 304). Some buses may interline by performing trips on other routes. But the easiest way to find them is to be at Finch during the afternoon commute (4-6pm).

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

Thank guys, I looked up Southeast Miller on google maps, and i realized that some buses are parked outside. Are the Orion Vs usually parked inside or outside? when are they usually at the garage?

do you mean 1:27 or 2:37???? there is no 2:27 bus according to YRT

 

14:37 is what I meant, my apologies. Anyway, when I rode the 224B twice, I've been able to see Orion Vs in the garage and maybe a few outside. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2017 at 1:22 PM, tommike said:

Any new viva buses on road yet?

I was on 1774, which was causing technical issues. They sent a viva tok north bus as a replacement. Hope they moved it, it's not good having issues with a new bus.

Also saw 1772 at RHC. 1773 on purple.

I've not paid much attention the last 2 weeks but it's the first time I've been on a 17xx bus, first time I've seen them (they sound slightly different to the 2013 models)

One thing I noticed however (next to the random pole or 2 being a different color) is the 2017 didn't have the artic curtain or any maps. Also on the wiki I noticed the bus has the weirdly placed stop request button between the pad and the buses main computer system.

20170607_044234_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi do the new viva bus still have the one seat behind the driver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tommike said:

Hi do the new viva bus still have the one seat behind the driver?

Yes they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.yrt.ca/en/fares-and-passess/paperless.aspx

Dont think this has been talked about yet, but next month YRT will be all Presto, along with the release of their Apple Pay app. There will also be no more fare zones. 

But here's the best part:

"At this time, customers using TTC in York Region are advised not to use PRESTO, and to continue paying their fare using paper tickets or passes, or with the new YRT/Viva Pay app (coming July 1).

The PRESTO system does not yet provide a way to pay both TTC and YRT/Viva fare using a PRESTO card. TTC is working with PRESTO on a solution, which will be communicated as soon as it is available"

So....they state they are no longer selling paper tickets or passes, but still no way to use Presto on TTC buses. Uhhhhh....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

https://www.yrt.ca/en/fares-and-passess/paperless.aspx

Dont think this has been talked about yet, but next month YRT will be all Presto, along with the release of their Apple Pay app. There will also be no more fare zones. 

But here's the best part:

"At this time, customers using TTC in York Region are advised not to use PRESTO, and to continue paying their fare using paper tickets or passes, or with the new YRT/Viva Pay app (coming July 1).

The PRESTO system does not yet provide a way to pay both TTC and YRT/Viva fare using a PRESTO card. TTC is working with PRESTO on a solution, which will be communicated as soon as it is available"

So....they state they are no longer selling paper tickets or passes, but still no way to use Presto on TTC buses. Uhhhhh....

Actually there is a way, if you didn't read or you wanted to attack YRT, if you wanted to attack YRT then you did a great job, you worded it just like a politician.

"Customers using TTC in York Region may continue to purchase YRT/Viva paper tickets and passes at select ticket vending machines and select fare agent locations in the southern portion of York Region (including after July 1, when YRT/Viva goes paperless). Visit the Where to Buy page for your nearest agent location."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

So....they state they are no longer selling paper tickets or passes, but still no way to use Presto on TTC buses. Uhhhhh....

The truth is, ever since the Presto card readers were installed, the TTC fare can be paid using Presto even when in York Region, for sure. Since the TTC is almost entirely a flat fare system, it's a matter of the reader knowing when the bus crosses Steeles so that the fare can be updated.

Now, for those who aren't aware, the interesting part about the Presto readers on TTC is that, unlike YRT/VIVA or other agencies, do not have a user interface for the vehicle operator. Most local agencies have both an operator UI (made by Thales and featuring a touchscreen and integrated card reader), and a separate reader for the customer to tap on (and a display to indicate the remaining balance), similar to the TTC's. As I noticed on GO Transit's buses (which doesn't have the separate reader but uses the reader built into the operator UI), the operator UI lets the vehicle operator change the fare zone so that the correct fare is charged, and does a host of other things such as reloading. I suppose it is integrated with the init CAD/AVL terminal so that the fare zone can be updated automatically by GPS (although I do regularly see operators changing the fare zone themselves). I suppose that's the way it works on YRT/VIVA as well, and that this should also be possible once the TTC installs VISION on its buses, so until that happens I would not expect YRT fares to be payable via Presto.

I will post more details about this in the Presto thread, if I can find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

Actually there is a way, if you didn't read or you wanted to attack YRT, if you wanted to attack YRT then you did a great job, you worded it just like a politician.

"Customers using TTC in York Region may continue to purchase YRT/Viva paper tickets and passes at select ticket vending machines and select fare agent locations in the southern portion of York Region (including after July 1, when YRT/Viva goes paperless). Visit the Where to Buy page for your nearest agent location."

I don't think that 'Where to buy' link is correct. It is just listing all the current ticket agents, and if they will all still be continuing to sell paper tickets and passes, then that isn't paperless. 

Regardless, that wasn't my point. What about riders who have to transfer from a YRT bus to TTC? If tickets will no longer be accepted on YRT buses after December 31, and only 'select' locations selling paper tickets anyway, how will the transfers work? Are we just going to assume that a 'fix' for Presto will come out prior to that date? Because I doubt that will be the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yrt1000 said:

I don't think that 'Where to buy' link is correct. It is just listing all the current ticket agents, and if they will all still be continuing to sell paper tickets and passes, then that isn't paperless. 

Regardless, that wasn't my point. What about riders who have to transfer from a YRT bus to TTC? If tickets will no longer be accepted on YRT buses after December 31, and only 'select' locations selling paper tickets anyway, how will the transfers work? Are we just going to assume that a 'fix' for Presto will come out prior to that date? Because I doubt that will be the case

One part of the vivastation PRESTO devices I never got to use was the print function, I'm wondering whether that could be used, I'm also wondering if operators of YRT vehicles will print paper transfers to those who request it. I think those could be potential fixes in the short term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I will post more details about this in the Presto thread, if I can find it.

find the presto thread or more info? just joking...

Anyways i found this little bit hilarious which didn't exist a month ago:

Quote

Beginning July 1, 2017, YRT/Viva is removing the fare zones across the Region. You will be able to travel from the north to the south with only one fare (the two-hour travel window will still apply).

However, as we are working through some issues and to ensure you are only charged a single fare, we ask PRESTO customers crossing the zone boundaries at King, Bloomington and Ravenshoe Roads continue to do the following:

For Viva:

Press the 2 or 3 Zone button then tap your card on the PRESTO device located at the terminal or vivastation.

For YRT:

Advise the driver you will be travelling into Zone 2 or 3 (e.g. crossing the zone boundary at King, Bloomington or Ravenshoe Roads). The driver will adjust the on-bus PRESTO device accordingly.

A zone upgrade fare will NOT be deducted, and you will only be charged a single fare (starting July 1). We are working through some issues with the system, and will communicate updates as soon as they are available.

They just gave me a very good reason why i shouldn't trust presto, even tho i would be using the monthly pass why should i risk a fare charge? I'm assuming a similar issue might happen with monthly passes the system trying to ding a second fare because the pass was tapped in "zone 1/2/3" then tapped in a different one.

My question is, how hard could it really be to set zoning_on to 0 instead of a 1? having such a function would immediately kill this issue, worst part is it's a one liner in the base code. If off set 2 hours deduct money move on, if on detect zone charge fare if extra zone selected ding extra cost(go is tap on tap off calc number of stops charge based on stops, which is a grid chart setup like travel times from a-b). Granted it's more complex than that but with a barbarically simply system as transfer at any stop you want (yrt, mississauga afaik), it's really something like is fare valid? if yes accept, if no charge more.

 

57 minutes ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

One part of the vivastation PRESTO devices I never got to use was the print function, I'm wondering whether that could be used, I'm also wondering if operators of YRT vehicles will print paper transfers to those who request it. I think those could be potential fixes in the short term.

Problem All Viva stops don't have a print function... therefore if you use viva you can't use TTC w/o using their app or cash/ticket fares.

 

My biggest issue with going paperless in the way they are going by it is they are removing paper fare the same day they are bringing out the app. This means those like me who buy paper passes have to do one of 3 things.

  1. Get a Presto card (free if you live in york region for assisting implementation tho i thought you could pick one up at their office for free too) fill it up with the cost of the monthly pass and use it for the month of July hoping no issues arise with the removal of zoning.
  2. Pray the app gets released on time, esp for those who take the first bus out. if not pay cash fare or have tickets on hand (or a presto card with enough money for the fare)
  3. Assuming the app comes out in time, it accepts your form of payment, else same as #2. Ex. I dont own a credit card instead i use PayPal, Android Pay, Debit card and My Debits online function for sites that dont accept PP, and the very rare occasion pre-paid CC #'s.

I'm not running out and putting $150 on Presto, buying a $150 pre-paid CC, nor am i buying a 10 pack tickets for the "just in case" scenario... Because for every "ticket" i use increases the cost when i can finally buy the pass.

Their App page "hinted" debit functions but as i keep running into there is literally 3 different payment methods for debit. interact online(i think), visa debit, mastercard debit. My debit function is MC which seems to be the least implemented... and with Android pay now out in Canada there is literally no excuse to not support it, the API doc is available (could be using the USA one as reference as well), and google has added debit cards (i've been using it all week) since monday.

 

Edit: I also noticed they are doing something at Newmarket Go Term, anyone know what they are doing? It kinda looks like multiple Presto stands for tapping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now