YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

On 2017-02-23 at 5:20 PM, Egg-Roll said:

A good number of viva buses have announcements back, I think novas only tho. They are really quite however but doesn't sound bad anymore either.

For those asking about the law here it is:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/110191#BK57

I think this case was a major player in the speed of which the systems where put in:

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/08/06/human_rights_ruling_set_to_change_sound_of_transit.html

For vivanext hwy 7 eastbound, this means situations like this one are just going to get worst because one is no longer allowed to make rights on red (the annoying factor of viva green at enterprise, coming to a purple near you). They'd be better off to leave vivanext alone till it's counterpart opens up later this year...

For Westbound lane it's unlikely (they did state it won't) to use it unless they installed the funky "will only ever use once but never take down because they make it look cool lights" like at the 404 bridge center lane part. Maybe someone here could give some insight as to why those lights still even exist? Eastbound ones might still be used for RYB signals but I've not paid much attention to it.

@tommike as said above like how the green does it, while you twiddle your thumbs at the red waiting for the green light the bus you want goes driving by saying "YOLO~, guess you should of grabbed the earlier bus ^_^" Reasons why I take the 68 or walk now are going to be the same reasons I'm going to avoid the purple till the subway extension.

IMO i dont really mind stop announcements for every stop....but for the love of god please replace crystal on YRT/VIVA!!!

its robotic butchery of street names is just agonizing....please yrt update the software...

3 hours ago, Ber said:

IMO i dont really mind stop announcements for every stop....but for the love of god please replace crystal on YRT/VIVA!!!

its robotic butchery of street names is just agonizing....please yrt update the software...

Don't you know YRT/VIVA won't replace Crystal? They'll find a way to say it's too expensive to do reprogram something that barely works. They have to prioritize advertising, then backwards planning, then service cuts, THEN they can find a way to find software updates in the budget.

• Like 1

Currently on new highway 7 west rapidway.

The difference from notice posted on website is 77 also serves Keele rapidway station. 

purple buess making that weird right turn from Keele into rapidway EB at Keele/highway 7. 

EDIT: For purple. westbound, my hope was actually happening. There is a dedicated signal for making left turn from rapidway at Hwy7/keele WB.

IMG_4839.JPG

Ok, but that right turn tho... Ugh... Not the drivers actual turning(looks like a head-on collision is going to happen however), the fact it's viva green now...

I don't see any dedicated signal unless they are using the center transit signal which has a filter/stencil in it to force a arrow till completion (bet 5 bucks they forget about it if that's the case).

Is the sole purpose of the funny right turn just for the Keele stop or is there a stop that got installed in the last 2 weeks in the center lanes I don't know about or might of possibly missed?

48 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Ok, but that right turn tho... Ugh... Not the drivers actual turning(looks like a head-on collision is going to happen however), the fact it's viva green now...

I don't see any dedicated signal unless they are using the center transit signal which has a filter/stencil in it to force a arrow till completion (bet 5 bucks they forget about it if that's the case).

Is the sole purpose of the funny right turn just for the Keele stop or is there a stop that got installed in the last 2 weeks in the center lanes I don't know about or might of possibly missed?

For WB, there is 'white' signal that dedicates left turn from rapidway in black rapidway signal.

14 hours ago, tommike said:

yrt buying 6 electric 40ft buses 

four newflyer

two nova

Where is your source? I have this but nothing about who they are buying from...

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/ASP2017/ASP2017_07-2017-ASP-Goals.pdf

On 27/02/2017 at 4:07 PM, Viva5113 said:

For WB, there is 'white' signal that dedicates left turn from rapidway in black rapidway signal.

Ok, I also noticed this instead of green arrows for eastbound buses after town center. For that one it's likely due to the limitless amounts of dumb drivers thinking it's their light...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Where is your source? I have this but nothing about who they are buying from...

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/ASP2017/ASP2017_07-2017-ASP-Goals.pdf

Ok, I also noticed this instead of green arrows for eastbound buses after town center. For that one it's likely due to the limitless amounts of dumb drivers thinking it's their light...

When I was in community events before, Staff have neen told about electric buses will be purchased in future, but there aren't any info about details(like Which vehicle?) at all. Just thing they told me is exactly same with what document saying.

There aren't any thing can proof it's going to happening in some time soon general. 

Yea the document says 2018 in Newmarket for the 55 route. So they might be purchased and received by year's end. My only question is why 55? The 44 would be a better option, more regenerative braking, plus would only need one quick charge unit...

The best question is why test something now when you claim it could take upwards to 30 years to implement? I understand infrastructure but that's why they have overhead (I prefer a battery swap out method like Tesla) quick charge units looking like lamp posts.

Along the right side of the pdf:

"Richmond Hill Centre Terminal Concessions

2017 will see the construction and opening of a concession building that will provide an enhanced customer service experience. 
The building will provide YRT/Viva’s first retail space and an accessible-interactive information centre."

2 words: about time. I remember them doing a survey a while ago asking about having retail there... Never was asked I don't think but I'm happy about it. As long as it's not Starbucks/Second Cup that is.

• Like 1

i also noticed that they plan to have cornell open sometime early next year....have they started building yet?

They need to dig NOW if they are to meet their target date

5 hours ago, Ber said:

i also noticed that they plan to have cornell open sometime early next year....have they started building yet?

Maybe my memory is wrong, but haven't they been saying the Cornell terminal would be built 'by next year' for the past, like, 5 years?

On 2017. 2. 28. at 10:02 PM, tommike said:

yrt buying 6 electric 40ft buses 

four newflyer

two nova

I visit YRT community event, and they saying four nova and two New Flyers for electric buses.

• Like 1

Bus 1385 has a Init live display unit in it looking like this behind the driver at priority seating is, looks nice but it's in a place that makes it really useless due to its size.

Miller driver failed epically Saturday... The bus was 1117, so maybe someone knows better/more about what happened.

I'm safely assuming a compression loss of some sort

The driver failed to notice/ignored(or possibly told to) the abnormal noise coming from the engine area and drove it from at least Bernard with it. At Weldrick the bus was basically crippled, engine and heating worked but the buzzer for low pressure (assuming) was non stop (or what I remember). If it truly was the air system the best question is why they didn't at least notice the air pressure change? During a 2 minute excursion outside at a previous stop (they called control then after losing it there too) I'm guessing to check the pressure on a different gauge but I had my headphones on.  

Even if the dash gauge was malfunctioning the abnormal noise should of tipped them off that something was not right. So what's the point in having a Z classification or a license for that matter if drivers are just going to ignore it and its requirements? If the noise started after leaving the depot they should at least call it in and check all systems (took them less than 2 minutes outside). The 99 is also usually at Bernard first but pulled in right after the 98.

Only at Weldrick did the driver attempt to regain pressure threw mildly revving the engine as a last effort. If the driver checked for the source of the abnormal noise they could of called it in sooner because we waiting for the viva blue (15 minutes at Weldrick, also travel time from depot + warm-up/start time) which beat the replacement bus(it got there before the blue but didn't leave till after), which was likely dispatched when the bus lost pressure the first time.

When the support vehicle driver got on, the bus driver pumped the brakes and pressure quickly was lost.

Tok last Saturday had a similar issue with the 98, that driver didn't drive the bus to it's grave however, but continued to drive it after calling it in. We also had a new bus within 5 minutes of idling at Wellington.

On 3/5/2017 at 3:49 PM, Ber said:

It was supposed to built years ago. I'll believe it when the shovels hit the ground.

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Bus 1385 has a Init live display unit in it looking like this behind the driver at priority seating is, looks nice but it's in a place that makes it really useless due to its size.

Miller driver failed epically Saturday... The bus was 1117, so maybe someone knows better/more about what happened.

I'm safely assuming a compression loss of some sort

The driver failed to notice/ignored(or possibly told to) the abnormal noise coming from the engine area and drove it from at least Bernard with it. At Weldrick the bus was basically crippled, engine and heating worked but the buzzer for low pressure (assuming) was non stop (or what I remember). If it truly was the air system the best question is why they didn't at least notice the air pressure change? During a 2 minute excursion outside at a previous stop (they called control then after losing it there too) I'm guessing to check the pressure on a different gauge but I had my headphones on.  

Even if the dash gauge was malfunctioning the abnormal noise should of tipped them off that something was not right. So what's the point in having a Z classification or a license for that matter if drivers are just going to ignore it and its requirements? If the noise started after leaving the depot they should at least call it in and check all systems (took them less than 2 minutes outside). The 99 is also usually at Bernard first but pulled in right after the 98.

Only at Weldrick did the driver attempt to regain pressure threw mildly revving the engine as a last effort. If the driver checked for the source of the abnormal noise they could of called it in sooner because we waiting for the viva blue (15 minutes at Weldrick, also travel time from depot + warm-up/start time) which beat the replacement bus(it got there before the blue but didn't leave till after), which was likely dispatched when the bus lost pressure the first time.

When the support vehicle driver got on, the bus driver pumped the brakes and pressure quickly was lost.

Tok last Saturday had a similar issue with the 98, that driver didn't drive the bus to it's grave however, but continued to drive it after calling it in. We also had a new bus within 5 minutes of idling at Wellington.

The buzzing noise is most likely low air warning alarm.  When i drive the bus i focus on the speedometer and rarely focus the air brake gauage.  

From your description it sounds like the bus has a severe air leak on the brakes.  The safety feature will automatically lock the brakes up after it drops to a certain psi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

The buzzing noise is most likely low air warning alarm.  When i drive the bus i focus on the speedometer and rarely focus the air brake gauage.  

From your description it sounds like the bus has a severe air leak on the brakes.  The safety feature will automatically lock the brakes up after it drops to a certain psi.

After it drops below 80 PSI

• Like 2

YRT would have bigger issues if the bus didn't do it's legal obligation...

20 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

I figured it was for air, just I don't have a Z classification or anything beyond G for that matter, plus I don't know every warning system in a bus ;) I do/have however played several hundred hours worth of TruckersMP and offline versions of supported games with simulated air turned on. Also my workplace has a compressor that runs threw out the day, and have had leaks or hoses blow (not fun at 130psi+).

I personally don't have a issue with someone not looking at the gauge it's just if you have a abnormal noise not passed by a mechanic or comes up during your travels you shouldn't ignore it... Even if the gauge didn't show it doing a bake test (like the one they did at the end) should of. I also understand the havoc the cold could do to said system, and how it could take time to show up.

YRT 2018 Service Plan:

• Routes 1/2 (weekend)/9/14/16/18/25/522 - modified to serve new Cornell Terminal early 2018
  • 1 Highway 7 - reduced service weekdays and Saturdays
  • 3 Thornhill - modified to serve Pioneer Village Station
  • 10 Woodbridge - route shortened to end at VMC
  • 20 Jane - modified to serve VMC, Hwy 407 and Pioneer Village stations
  • 22 Keele-King City - combined existing 22/22A and TTC 107B/C and reorganized into following branches:
    • 22 Pioneer Village - York U - Newmarket GO Bus Terminal (current 22A) - new service 7 days/week
    • 22A Maple GO - Seneca King (current 22)
    • 22B Pioneer Village - York U - Rutherford GO via Rivermede (current 107B)
    • 22C Pioneer Village - York U - Teston (current 107C)
  • 26 Maple Local - extended to VMC via Edgeley St (original plan was via Jane - possibly combined with 35?)
  • 50A Sutton-Pefferlaw - modified to serve Georgina Island Ferry Dock
  • 88 Bathurst - improved Saturday frequency
  • 100 York University - new route replacing Viva Purple west of RHC (Pioneer Village Station - York U - Richmond Hill Centre) 
  • 105 Dufferin North - service assumed from TTC, extended to Major Mackenzie Dr at all times
  • 165 Weston Rd North - service assumed from TTC, extended to Pioneer Village Station
  • 320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express - modified to serve new 404/Major Mackenzie Carpool Lot
  • 360 Vaughan Express - discontinued
  • 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland - will be expanded to run 7 days/week, year-round (I guess this means Viva Silver won't happen yet... :()
  • Viva Purple (phase 1)- shortened to run between Richmond Hill Centre and Cornell Terminal
  • Viva Purple (phase 2)- new branch via Highway 7
  • Viva Orange - modified to run between Martin Grove and Richmond Hill Centre via Hwy 7 and Centre St. Extension to Hwy 50 and branch to Finch Station will start in 2019
  • Viva Yellow - reduced service on weekends
  • Nashville DAR - new dial-a-ride service in Kleinburg area
  • U of T Scarborough - new service to UTSC by September 2018

• Like 1

YRT will be going paperless for fare collection beginning July 1, 2017 as indicated by the thank you page upon completion of a 2018 service plan survey.

Starting July 1, 2017, YRT/Viva will be going paperless for fare media. For more details, visit yrt.ca.