YRT-Guy

York Region Transit \ Viva

8,209 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vivablue5215 said:

And here I thought the 244 was already discontinued. They had been talking about discontinuing the 244 for about a year if memory serves me.

The 320 changes are interesting as I would have thought keeping the first trip would help build ridership.

Seems more like cuts than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea $20,000 for 208 posters are just pennies in comparison...

19 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

Fare increases but service decreases, I wonder if we would have more money for service if they put less advertisements out...

I personally think if they removed most (all) ppp we'd see better service.

I've seen viva blue over the last 4 years do this:
Divided equally service between blue and blue A creating frequent 7/8 minute service above RHC in the afternoons (you where able to grab the Bernard bus and catch the A with a 80-90% success rate). It became a drag race to the finish line (Newmarket), where the loser buys the drinks. This happened about 2 years ago.

Saturday service going from 12 minutes at peak times to 15/16. Might not sound like much but the extra bus or 2 did wonders with crowd control.

Sunday service going from 17/18 minutes to 21.

One year they threw on the non artic buses on weekends causing overcrowding as far up as Newmarket, and getting on one after major Mac was usually impossible, yet Bernard kept the artics.

Viva purple saw similar rescheduling on weekends, from 12 minutes or less (usually non artic, sometimes doubled up) to 15 minutes no exceptions, Saturday service has 50-80% artic (guess) while take a pic if you catch one on Sunday (they likely grabbed and ran off with it from the depot with both the mechanic and supervisor chasing them :P)

19 hours ago, Chris W said:

The 320 changes are interesting as I would have thought keeping the first trip would help build ridership.

Seems more like cuts than anything.

Imagine if they did that to viva yellow, as it had a rough start too... Even I refused to use it for the first 4 months due to what they are doing to the 320. I'm not really complaining about the yellow changes they are doing as I'm actually surprised it took them this long to actually readjust it... However I hate vivanext Davis as a whole, they should of put a third lane in as a dedicated 7am-11pm bus, right turn, hov (3+) lane 7 days a week instead much like Dufferin north of downsview station.

Back to 320, I personally think they failed to properly display how much time one could save. The 192 ads from ttc where prefect examples plus adding it to the subway map was a nice touch too.

They seriously need to get their **** together and research what has worked and what hasn't and not just within yrt... If they did/do that they'd prob wouldn't be removing the first bus, plus improving other services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yea $20,000 for 208 posters are just pennies in comparison...

I personally think if they removed most (all) ppp we'd see better service.

Viva purple saw similar rescheduling on weekends, from 12 minutes or less (usually non artic, sometimes doubled up) to 15 minutes no exceptions, Saturday service has 50-80% artic (guess) while take a pic if you catch one on Sunday (they likely grabbed and ran off with it from the depot with both the mechanic and supervisor chasing them :P)

By putting out ads, I meant the ditch the car ads, also there's no way purple has 50-80% artic service, maybe one but everything else out is just 40 footers. Sunday's basically the day where viva purple is an empty route, great for filming though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped using purple on the weekends because they kept missing the Newmarket bound bus. Last I used it I usually got a artic on Saturdays.

What do you mean by car ads? The "rolling billboards" like the current Xmas themes? If so it's actually cheap advertising... The 20,000 that travel agency paid for a month on the ttc would gladly wrap a artic fully installed for the region. The benefit with wrapping a bus is there's no timeline except your own. Basically if they wrap a bus for 320 they can keep it on for as long as they want instead of spending tens of thousands on physical advertising at stationary places.

Imo they should do more wraps esp on busy routes advertising other new routes like the 320, but not just to drivers but to riders too. The reason being is the wrap is in your face instead of a wall or somewhere you have to look for/at voluntarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I stopped using purple on the weekends because they kept missing the Newmarket bound bus. Last I used it I usually got a artic on Saturdays.

What do you mean by car ads? The "rolling billboards" like the current Xmas themes? If so it's actually cheap advertising... The 20,000 that travel agency paid for a month on the ttc would gladly wrap a artic fully installed for the region. The benefit with wrapping a bus is there's no timeline except your own. Basically if they wrap a bus for 320 they can keep it on for as long as they want instead of spending tens of thousands on physical advertising at stationary places.

Imo they should do more wraps esp on busy routes advertising other new routes like the 320, but not just to drivers but to riders too. The reason being is the wrap is in your face instead of a wall or somewhere you have to look for/at voluntarily.

The leave the driving to us ads, seen recently on the printed pamphlets available on YRT vehicles and one is on an advertising board at a parking lot in Markham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Viva Yellow:  Service after 11 p.m. has been discontinued. "

With the seeming lack of ridership on the Yellow off-peak, they could likely cut it after 10 PM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Enzo Aquarius said:

"Viva Yellow:  Service after 11 p.m. has been discontinued. "

With the seeming lack of ridership on the Yellow off-peak, they could likely cut it after 10 PM. 

The last trip on Yellow on weekdays from Newmarket Terminal is 10:28pm, arriving back at 11:05pm. The line goes down to 2 buses (instead of 3) starting after the 7:01pm departure.

However, weekend service is entirerly untouched; there are 3 buses operating on the line until 11:00pm departure from Newmarket Terminal, arriving back at 11:36pm (one minute earlier on Sundays).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Back to 320, I personally think they failed to properly display how much time one could save. The 192 ads from ttc where prefect examples plus adding it to the subway map was a nice touch too.

They seriously need to get their **** together and research what has worked and what hasn't and not just within yrt... If they did/do that they'd prob wouldn't be removing the first bus, plus improving other services.

It really doesn't help the 320's case that they have, of all things, an EZ Rider operating on it. Perhaps it's only a temporary fix until they can get a 40 footer out there. An ElDorado EZ Rider II BRT is the worst thing to put on a route that operates on a major 400 series highway. You know, unless they want to continually replace the drivetrains in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chris W said:

It really doesn't help the 320's case that they have, of all things, an EZ Rider operating on it. Perhaps it's only a temporary fix until they can get a 40 footer out there. An ElDorado EZ Rider II BRT is the worst thing to put on a route that operates on a major 400 series highway. You know, unless they want to continually replace the drivetrains in them.

One fix I thought of was putting 30 footers from the smaller residential routes like 18, 40, 41, 42, 45 during the day time and swap em out if needed. But of course there would be a cost to this, the 18 runs nearly empty on Saturdays and weekday middays and the 40 does too on Saturdays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

One fix I thought of was putting 30 footers from the smaller residential routes like 18, 40, 41, 42, 45 during the day time and swap em out if needed. But of course there would be a cost to this, the 18 runs nearly empty on Saturdays and weekday middays and the 40 does too on Saturdays.

That's an impossible task due to the fact that Transit operations are handled by three separate contractors. The 320, as an example, is run by North Division (TOK). What you propose only affects Southeast (Miller) division vehicles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

One fix I thought of was putting 30 footers from the smaller residential routes like 18, 40, 41, 42, 45 during the day time and swap em out if needed. But of course there would be a cost to this, the 18 runs nearly empty on Saturdays and weekday middays and the 40 does too on Saturdays.

I think miller doesn't need more eldoroldos for now. Also for 18, bus is too too crowd when BOSS is start and finishes. Also Two south divisions using them mostly using them in rush hours exceptions of community routes and 9 (and more?)

 

The better possiblities are : As they will replace eldoroldos first, so use them on these routes that assigned as 30ft routes in North division.

This is also assumptions, it does not gurentee this is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Viva5113 said:

I think miller doesn't need more eldoroldos for now. Also for 18, bus is too too crowd when BOSS is start and finishes. Also Two south divisions using them mostly using them in rush hours exceptions of community routes and 9 (and more?)

 

The better possiblities are : As they will replace eldoroldos first, so use them on these routes that assigned as 30ft routes in North division.

This is also assumptions, it does not gurentee this is happening.

The 18 is pretty much only crowded when BOSS or PETHS starts/ends. Otherwise, 30 footers will work all other times.

What about a movement of 30 footers from divisions?

55 minutes ago, Chris W said:

That's an impossible task due to the fact that Transit operations are handled by three separate contractors. The 320, as an example, is run by North Division (TOK). What you propose only affects Southeast (Miller) division vehicles. 

Edited by Hexagonal 10
Reply to other message

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys think of my proposal to combine Routes 300 and 320?

Finch Station to Newmarket Park & Ride via Leslie (walkable to both East & West Beaver Creek)

The service east of Leslie for Route 300 is overkill and isn't needed. They also have Cedarland Stn now.

suggestion.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2016 at 0:33 AM, York Transit said:

What do you guys think of my proposal to combine Routes 300 and 320?

Finch Station to Newmarket Park & Ride via Leslie (walkable to both East & West Beaver Creek)

The service east of Leslie for Route 300 is overkill and isn't needed. They also have Cedarland Stn now.

suggestion.jpg

Why the little diversion at Highway 7? There's plenty of business on both sides of Leslie, I'd just leave it straight down Leslie to 407.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2016 at 8:09 PM, dj.surf.lfs said:

Market-Post Vivastation (at Birchmount & Enterprise) will open in 2017: 

https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/resources/YRT-SystemMap_web_Jan2017.pdf

 

Westbound shelter has been installed as of last week. No eastbound shelter yet.

For the record, they're regular shelters with (presumably) a machine outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "early express" routes on the holidays are completley useless, i have rode 4 of them over the two days that they were running. The 300 seems to be completley dead, the one i got on the 23rd only had a few people on it, and half of them were fans. Today i got a 300 to myself for the full route. 303 and 304 also had extremley lower riders than normal, they should have had regular service or at least advertise that the buses were going early. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

The "early express" routes on the holidays are completley useless, i have rode 4 of them over the two days that they were running. The 300 seems to be completley dead, the one i got on the 23rd only had a few people on it, and half of them were fans. Today i got a 300 to myself for the full route. 303 and 304 also had extremley lower riders than normal, they should have had regular service or at least advertise that the buses were going early. 

 

Remember that this year was a special situation, with early express routes running on the 23rd and 30th. Many offices I know didn't do the 12pm dismissal that's traditional with the 24th and 31st, cause well it's not the 24th or 31st.

For example, my 18:10 GO 61 bus from Union Station last night was completely packed (we left a good 75-100 people behind, if not more). It's normally run by a train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2016 at 0:33 AM, York Transit said:

What do you guys think of my proposal to combine Routes 300 and 320?

Finch Station to Newmarket Park & Ride via Leslie (walkable to both East & West Beaver Creek)

The service east of Leslie for Route 300 is overkill and isn't needed. They also have Cedarland Stn now.

suggestion.jpg

But why would you want to combine the two in the first place? It seems very long and drawn out to service Finch, Beaver Creek, Aurora and Newmarket in the same route. I don't see the combination garnering more ridership than it already has, not to mention, I believe that "walkable to E&W Beaver Creek would discourage riders that enjoy the convenience. The only people benefiting from this would be the current riders of 300 & 320. No new riders to Aurora or Newmarket from Finch would be enticed due to the convenience of the Blue "A" and 98E. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the combo would mean maybe having Orion Vs in Newmarket, but we can't go with something like this just for the sake of that.

I'm not sure how faster this would be compared to VIVA Blue between Finch and Newmarket, but last December me and some friends decided to drive up Yonge Street from Toronto to Barrie by car, and even north of Finch it was slow. I also noticed that the VIVA and YRT buses on Yonge were as jammed up in traffic as we were, so even though I've never taken the 98/99, I could imagine that they weren't going faster than we were. However, once the rapidway's online, the Blue won't have to worry about traffic anymore as they'll be separated and controlled by priority signals. 

I wonder whether the 300/320 combo's use of Highway 407 and the 404's HOV lanes as well as the lesser amount of stops inbetween would make any difference in speed and punctuality though compared to Blue up Yonge Street?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a chance to get on 1601 (98 northbound) on Saturday, 1602 was at Newmarket term which according to transsee was slated for the 50 route. It seems like the buses are running now as I also saw 1606 on the 77 route Sunday.

It felt like i was walking into a geki-sema compared to the ttc ones (was on 8569 Sunday). Tho I do like the folding seats which they kept compared to the normal drop-down. (Never been on the 2015 afaik)

 

11 hours ago, J. Bullock said:

But why would you want to combine the two in the first place? It seems very long and drawn out to service Finch, Beaver Creek, Aurora and Newmarket in the same route. I don't see the combination garnering more ridership than it already has, not to mention, I believe that "walkable to E&W Beaver Creek would discourage riders that enjoy the convenience. The only people benefiting from this would be the current riders of 300 & 320. No new riders to Aurora or Newmarket from Finch would be enticed due to the convenience of the Blue "A" and 98E. 

 

I'm going to agree with J. Bullock, but in one thing, the draw for those at finch would be less traffic free WiFi likely getting home 30 minutes sooner depending where they live and bus scheduling. That said, they would have to start charging the express fee if they did, at which time people will start asking is it worth the fee?(Wi-Fi is no longer free, now is it) For me it's not, mostly due to the fact when the drivers decide to not care about scheduling and show up ten minutes late in -15 weather...

A better setup would actually be merging the 90b route with the 320, more direct, adds a route w/o transferring (seen) and for the additional bus timing (every 15 minutes service) they could keep the b name. Something like 320-Newmarket and 320b which would follow the old 90b route.

@MCI102A3 traffic starts picking up (or should) north of Elgin usually at Bernard, and should only be congested at Wellington north/South 2km tops.

407 costs extra money and not always faster, and 404 hov lane ends at Major Mac, making it really useless for the 320 w/ current or suggested setup.

 

On 27/12/2016 at 10:00 PM, vivablue5215 said:

 

Westbound shelter has been installed as of last week. No eastbound shelter yet.

For the record, they're regular shelters with (presumably) a machine outside.

That's because afaik anything south of 7 excluding the 2 stops done aren't slated for viva next (yet). They might be once all downtown Markham construction is completed in a few years time tho.

I personally want to check out the theater there so I'm happy they finally added it.

 

On 22/12/2016 at 0:27 AM, Chris W said:

It really doesn't help the 320's case that they have, of all things, an EZ Rider operating on it. Perhaps it's only a temporary fix until they can get a 40 footer out there. An ElDorado EZ Rider II BRT is the worst thing to put on a route that operates on a major 400 series highway. You know, unless they want to continually replace the drivetrains in them.

No joke, even the drivers complained about the bus wobbling at high speeds, which is why I avoid the route on bad weather days, that and I've seen cars wipe out on the 404 being too presumptuous of their large vehicles. Also I brought up the over revving etc back in Sept ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both directions at Market-Post now have shelters installed, located just east of the theatre complex. Westbound had machines installed before I went back to Winnipeg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vivablue5215 said:

Both directions at Market-Post now have shelters installed, located just east of the theatre complex. Westbound had machines installed before I went back to Winnipeg.

To add to that, the signs for VIVA including the stop ID are still wrapped. The bus shelter is a standard modern shelter used on other routes and the LEDs work when it's dark out currently. I think it's a bad spot considering how difficult it will be to transfer to the 17A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now