York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

44 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Speaking of Cornell Terminal... anyone has any updates on when this will open? The Vivanext site says Spring 2022 anytime from now to the end of June.

Maybe it will open in may. When it comes to service changes they are announced mid to late of the month

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

Speaking of Cornell Terminal... anyone has any updates on when this will open? The Vivanext site says Spring 2022 anytime from now to the end of June.

It is hard to say since I haven't heard anything about training operators for rapid transit division and southeast. Before they open the terminal, they need to train operators so they familiarize which platforms to use, where to layup, entry and exit along with learning about the terminal site in-person. 

Next service change is April 30th and the one after I think is July 3rd. Routes that will utilize Cornell is already planned years ago with platforms setup. 

13 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

You have to remember that the map is for bus rapid transit projects. The environmental assessment hasn't been completed for Major Mackenzie yet regarding how bus rapid transit will work along this corridor. If they will utilize median bus only lanes except for certain sections such as Yonge/Major Mackenzie which would be curbside.

I would imagine that the Viva route would terminate at Cornell Station to maintain transfers. From Major Mackenzie/Donald Cousens, turn onto Donald Cousens to Highway 7 and loop into Cornell possibly. Where bus only lanes aren't required since the traffic volumes aren't as high compared to operating on Major Mackenzie in mixed traffic being a major street operating a pretty long length between Ninth Line in Markham to Highway 50 in Vaughan. 

My thinking is that the VIVA rapidways would only extend as far as Donald Cousens Pkwy. and then continue south down to the Cornell Terminal.  Since Donald Cousens is a relatively new roadway, reconfiguring it for a rapdiway doesn't make a lot of sense.  They could simply use curbside stops (at 9th Line, 16th Ave. William Forster and Hwy. 7) since there shouldn't be significant amounts of traffic on that section of the roadway.  I don't know if the grass median is wide enough to eventually accommodate a rapidway, but there is room to put it between Donald Cousens and Reesor or to widen Donald Cousens into said space.  I've wondered why they didn't just upgrade and incorporate Reesor instead of building a modern arterial right beside it.

As for further extensions west, running all the way to Hwy. 50 would probably benefit residents in Bolton.  Major Mackenzie doesn't really line up with anything in Brampton (it's so insignificant that Brampton Transit put their inset for the Züm routes running into York there) and currently it's just the CP Rail yard that would be of any interest to passengers.  If it's possible to shift Maple GO south or improve access to Major Mackenzie it would ease that connection to future VIVA service.  Rutherford lines up with Castlemore which Brampton does have plans for by extending the Bovaird Züm corridor east.  A proper transit terminal will eventually be needed in East Brampton as the Gore Meadows Community Centre was likely only ever meant to be used as an interim measure.  I don't know how long the land on the Brampton side of Castlemore and Hwy. 50 will be vacant or if provisions were put in place to allow for a transit terminal (the Brampton Transit map shows the lands as commercial).  Maybe with YRT footing some of the bill?  They did identify the Hwy. 27/Hwy. 50 corridor for long-term express service.  Any stations on the future GO line to Bolton could work as well as I'd imagine they'd be a draw for East Brampton residents as well.

It will only be a matter of time before the gap develops and fills in and there will be a need for additional connections between Brampton and Vaughan.  Kleinburg-Nashville will probably start clamouring for regular service once things go back to normal after COVID.  Going further west, Nashville/Countryside is probably a connection for consideration later with a Bolton consideration.

image.thumb.png.ab3c0e2c4c83ffd6ad671f72e981544b.pngimage.thumb.png.c5a2609d7f667b1660bce104b6b26f82.png

YRT is discontinuing Wi-Fi on select buses. The news release seems mixed up. The title says it is 5 which would be 1062 to 1066, not 9 unless they added a few additional units that were not posted. 

This was part of the 320 Beaver Creek Express between Davis Drive Park and Ride (Davis Drive/Highway 404) and Beaver Creek Business Area via Highway 404 operating during weekday peak periods. Introduced on September 6, 2016.

PUBLIC WI-FI ON FIVE VIVA BUSES AND SOME VIVASTATIONS ENDS MARCH 31

Effective March 31, 2022, the public Wi-Fi that was previously available on nine Viva buses will be removed. This was part of a pilot program that began in 2018. 

YRT continues to offer complimentary Wi-Fi at all YRT bus terminals including Richmond Hill Centre, Bernard, Promenade, Pioneer Village, Vaughan Mills Mall and SmartVMC.

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

YRT is discontinuing Wi-Fi on select buses. The news release seems mixed up. The title says it is 5 which would be 1062 to 1066, not 9 unless they added a few additional units that were not posted. 

This was part of the 320 Beaver Creek Express between Davis Drive Park and Ride (Davis Drive/Highway 404) and Beaver Creek Business Area via Highway 404 operating during weekday peak periods. Introduced on September 6, 2016.

It seems like YRT is trying their hardest to turn riders away. Anything to save a buck I guess. But York Region is famous for senselessly cutting service and wasting money on inane projects or advertising to "win back" customers despite doing nothing about the extremely high fares and poor (at best) service that they caused.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, menath said:

A new MOR service is comming in the month of may for service to and from rutherford and maple go station's 

https://www.vaughan.ca/news/Pages/Need-a-ride-to-the-Rutherford-or-Maple-GO-stations.aspx

A few links later:

Primary%20Service%20Area%20Map%20Phase%201.png

So instead of say diverting either branch of the 105 DUFFERIN into Maple and/or Rutherford GO YRT will opt for Mobility-on-Request, which requires an app and smartphone to use.  From my previous post about Maple GO, how easy is it to access that station if you were to use conventional YRT services along Keele or Major Mackenzie?

The FAQs:

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can participate in the pilot?

Citizens who live within the service area and regularly travel to and from either the Rutherford or Maple GO stations are eligible to participate in the Mobility On-Request pilot. Participants must have access to a smartphone to be able to download the Mobility On-Request app. Take a survey to express your interest in participating.

What is the expected length of this pilot project?

The pilot will continue for approximately one year from the official launch date in May 2022, based on user demand.

Where can I travel using the Mobility On-Request pilot service?

The service is a curb-to-station pick-up and drop-off program that allows individuals to book trips from their desired address within the service area to either the Rutherford or Maple GO stations in the morning, or from these GO stations to a desired address in the evening. The service can be booked through the Mobility On-Request app, which will be provided for download to those who are accepted into the pilot program.

What days of the week and times of day will the Mobility On-Request pilot service be available?

The service hours will be weekdays, during the morning rush hour (6 a.m. until 9 a.m.) and evening rush hour (from 3:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.).

These times may be reviewed and adjusted based on the initial survey to accommodate participants. At this time, no weekend service is proposed. However, weekend service may be added if there is demand or a special occasion that would benefit from the service being active on the weekend.

How much does the ride cost?

When you use your PRESTO card to pay for the GO train at the Rutherford or Maple GO station, the Mobility On-Request service is free. Additional information can be found on YRT’s Ride to GO webpage. A full YRT fare will be charged if you are not using a PRESTO card.

I’ve been accepted into the pilot program – where can I find the Mobility On-Request app?

The app will be shared with all registered pilot participants in advance of the service launch in May 2022.

I’ve been accepted into the Mobility On-Request pilot program – how will I know what the YRT pick-up vehicle will look like?

The vehicle will be a YRT-branded car driven by a YRT transit service operator. The driver will show identification upon arrival.

I participated in the eligibility survey to join the pilot – how will I know if I’ve been accepted into it?

Those who participated in the survey to join the pilot can expect to hear from the City of Vaughan within five business days, by email.

What COVID-19 precautions are in place?

To support the safety and well-being of passengers during the COVID pandemic:

• Vehicles will be limited to three passengers and a driver.
  • Drivers and passengers are required to wear face masks while using the pilot service.
  • Mobility On-Request vehicles are cleaned regularly.

The precautions taken will follow York Region Transit’s COVID-19 protocols. Please visit COVID-19: YRT Response and Service Updates for any updated changes.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

From my previous post about Maple GO, how easy is it to access that station if you were to use conventional YRT services along Keele or Major Mackenzie?

From Keele/Major Mac you have to walk over to the station (700m).  Given the frequencies of YRT buses it probably makes sense to walk rather then wait for the Major Mac bus for 2/3 stops.

Likewise from nearest stops on Major Mackenzie its 500-600m to the station. 

The redevelopment of the Vaughan Colossus theatre lands reported by BlogTO and UrbanToronto might further spur the need for a local circulator west of the 400.  From the rendering it looks like Interchange Way will be extended across the 400 similar to what was done with Portage Pkwy. north of Hwy. 7.  Again, with all of the development going in, not providing a direct connection to the GO services at Hwy. 407 seems short-sighted.  Even with frequent service (one hopes) having to take VIVA two stops then the subway one stop doesn't seem to be passenger-friendly.  I'd settle for Züm being rerouted down to Hwy. 407 as it would serve this development.  Given the scale of this and the VMC in general, more local service is likely needed.  It'll only be a matter of time before the surrounding commercial properties at Weston & Hwy. 7 start facing pressure for more intense land use.

Colossus Centre designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects for RioCan REIT in Vaughan 

Am I dating myself if I say I can remember when that land used to be a drive-in theatre?!  I'm sure they can incorporate a smaller-scale movie theatre into the redevelopment just to maintain that continuity.  The Empress Walk Cineplex comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

Am I dating myself if I say I can remember when that land used to be a drive-in theatre?!  I'm sure they can incorporate a smaller-scale movie theatre into the redevelopment just to maintain that continuity.  The Empress Walk Cineplex comes to mind.

With more than 25,000 people living within walking distance to the theatre (the plan calls for something like 13100 units in the buildings to be built on site) plus the thousands more around VMC I can see demand there for a fairly large entertainment complex.  With Interchange way extended west to Weston maybe the circular route become VMC - portage (there is a large development planned there as well at Portage and 400) - Weston - Colossus - Interchange- Jane - Hwy 407 Station.  

Although even if the project gets approved as is it will be years before it is fully built.

The two year anniversary COVID-19 reductions is April 5, 2020. Technically routes that only ran during peak periods or weekdays only, those reductions would occur on April 6th.

Viva Blue A, Green and Pink were suspended until further notice. 

Blue A was meant to replace the Go Transit route 62 in 2010. Building up ridership and more trips added over the years for those that don't need Richmond Hill Centre saving a few minutes looping around. It simply stays on Yonge Street from Newmarket Bus Terminal to Finch Go Station. 

Pink on the other hand was suspended because of duplication with Blue and Purple needing to change buses at Richmond Hill Centre. Versus if you took Pink at Finch Go Station and your destination was east of Richmond Hill Centre on Highway 7 to Town Centre or via Enterprise to Unionville Go station, it was simply a one seat ride. You wouldn't need to change vehicles or making sure it was the correct one to connect to the Enterprise branch routing which is the current Purple A. 

Green: I only see it coming back as restructured via Leslie since the original routing simply didn't attract enough ridership. Even reducing it to a peak period route with lower frequencies only became a drain on resources. With the limited corridor demand, it was an uphill battle. 

Final comments:

It is hard to admit that the temporary suspension is two years and counting. Not seeing any plans of bringing those three routes back other than a frequency increase on Blue and Purple to compensate. Having to manage resources with the many unknowns to better match current demand levels. I remember how in March 2020 that ridership dropped around I think 80 to 90 percent depending on transit agency.

If they bring back Pink and Green, it will most likely be the revamped version versus the current version. Pink being extended to McCowan providing continuous service replicating Purple A going through Enterprise. While Green is shifted to Leslie Street and Major Mackenzie to better utilize where the demand is. 

52 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The two year anniversary COVID-19 reductions is April 5, 2020. Technically routes that only ran during peak periods or weekdays only, those reductions would occur on April 6th.

Viva Blue A, Green and Pink were suspended until further notice. 

Blue A was meant to replace the Go Transit route 62 in 2010. Building up ridership and more trips added over the years for those that don't need Richmond Hill Centre saving a few minutes looping around. It simply stays on Yonge Street from Newmarket Bus Terminal to Finch Go Station. 

Pink on the other hand was suspended because of duplication with Blue and Purple needing to change buses at Richmond Hill Centre. Versus if you took Pink at Finch Go Station and your destination was east of Richmond Hill Centre on Highway 7 to Town Centre or via Enterprise to Unionville Go station, it was simply a one seat ride. You wouldn't need to change vehicles or making sure it was the correct one to connect to the Enterprise branch routing which is the current Purple A. 

Green: I only see it coming back as restructured via Leslie since the original routing simply didn't attract enough ridership. Even reducing it to a peak period route with lower frequencies only became a drain on resources. With the limited corridor demand, it was an uphill battle. 

Final comments:

It is hard to admit that the temporary suspension is two years and counting. Not seeing any plans of bringing those three routes back other than a frequency increase on Blue and Purple to compensate. Having to manage resources with the many unknowns to better match current demand levels. I remember how in March 2020 that ridership dropped around I think 80 to 90 percent depending on transit agency.

If they bring back Pink and Green, it will most likely be the revamped version versus the current version. Pink being extended to McCowan providing continuous service replicating Purple A going through Enterprise. While Green is shifted to Leslie Street and Major Mackenzie to better utilize where the demand is. 

Pink is suspended due to low ridership from what YRT said. Ridership is also down on the purple The artics are literally empty. I've seen it myself In rush hour. And YRT has told me a few days ago that the pink and green are suspended. 

Service changes effective May 1st:

Viva Blue

Weekday first/last departure changes:

• First departure from Finch Go Station going northbound will be 5:37 AM until 12:30 AM the next day
  • First departure from Newmarket Bus Terminal going southbound will be 4:45 AM until 11:38 PM

Saturday first/last departure changes:

• First departure from Finch Go Station heading northbound at 5:03 AM until 12:35 AM the next day
  • Final departure from Newmarket Bus Terminal going southbound will be 11:47 PM

Viva Purple via Highway 7

• First departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital going westbound at 5:39 AM until 12:02 AM the next day
  • Last departure from Richmond Hill Centre going eastbound at 12:02 AM the next day

• First departure from Highway 7/East Beaver Creek heading westbound to Richmond Hill Centre at 5:05 AM
  • First departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital going westbound at 6:15 AM until 12:25 AM the next day
  • Last departure from Richmond Hill Centre going eastbound at 12:34 AM the next day

Sunday first/last departure changes:

• First departure from Highway 7/East Beaver Creek heading westbound to Richmond Hill Centre at 6:52 AM
  • First departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital going westbound at 7:59 AM until 12:51 AM the next day
  • First departure from Richmond Hill Centre going eastbound at 7:02 AM until 12:29 AM the next day

Viva Purple A via Enterprise Drive:

• First departure from Richmond Hill Centre going eastbound at 5:02 AM until 11:51 PM
  • First departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital going westbound at 5:51 AM until 12:21 AM the next day

• First departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital going westbound at 5:58 AM until 1:02 AM the next day
  • Last departure from Richmond Hill Centre going eastbound at 12:11 AM the next day

• First departure from Highway 7/East Beaver Creek heading westbound to Richmond Hill Centre at 6:35 AM
  • First departure from Markham Stouffville Hospital going westbound at 7:42 AM until 1:21 AM the next day
  • Last departure from Richmond Hill Centre going eastbound at 12:59 AM the next day

Viva Orange

• First departure from Highway 7/Martin Grove going eastbound 7:02 AM
  • Last departure from Richmond Hill Centre going westbound at 12:24 AM the next day

Route 9: 9th Line: Frequency adjustments along with first/last departures on weekdays

• Morning rush hour frequency - approximately every 46 minutes
  • Midday frequency - approximately every 85 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour frequency – approximately every 44 minutes

First/last departures: 

• Northbound from Box Grove Bypass/Oakborough Drive: First departure at 6 AM until 8:13 PM
  • Southbound from Stouffville Walmart: Final departure at 8:22 PM

Route 33 Wellington:

Weekday changes for 33 Wellington:

• Route frequency will be every 68 minutes for both 33 and 33A separately or 34 minutes between the two branches
  • Final departure from Wellington Street/Murray Drive going eastbound at 7:42 PM
  • Final departure from State Farm Way going westbound at 7:57 PM

Weekday changes for 33A Wellington:

• Route frequency will be every 68 minutes for both 33 and 33A separately or 34 minutes between the two branches
  • Final departure from Wellington Street/Murray Drive going eastbound at 8:15 PM
  • Final departure from St. John Sideroad/Earl Stewart going westbound at 8:29 PM

Saturday:

• Route 33 Wellington operating on 34 minute frequency 
  • Final departure from Wellington Street/Murray Drive going eastbound at 7:45 PM
  • Final departure from State Farm Way going westbound at 8 PM
  • 33A Wellington service discontinued on Saturday. Mobility on Request Aurora and Oak Ridges is an alternative service.

Route 56 Gorham/Eagle:

Frequency adjustments noted below:

• Morning rush hour frequency - approximately every 66 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour frequency - approximately every 70 minutes

First/last departure changes noted below.

Morning peak period:

• Eastbound from Newmarket Terminal from 5:38 AM until 8:56 AM
  • Westbound from 404 Town Centre from 6:07 AM until 9:25 AM

Afternoon peak period:

• Eastbound from Newmarket Terminal from 1:52 PM until 6:32 PM
  • Westbound from 404 Town Centre from 2:22 PM until 7:02 PM

Route 57 Mulock:

Weekday frequencies adjusted noted below:

• Morning rush hour frequency - approximately every 73 minutes
  • Midday frequency - approximately every 69 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour frequency - approximately every 75 minutes
  • Evening frequency - approximately every 66 minutes
  • Late evening frequency – approximately every 63 minutes

First trip westbound from 404 Town Centre is 7:38 AM until 9:32 PM

Saturday frequency is adjusted to operate every 64 minutes all day.

• Final departure westbound from 404 Town Centre is 9:22 PM
  • Final departure eastbound from Newmarket Terminal is 9:56 PM

Sunday/holiday frequency is adjusted to every 65 minutes except for evenings when it goes up to 67 minutes. 

Route 81 Inspiration:

Morning frequency adjusted to every 34 minutes. First trip from Bernard Terminal for the morning peak is 5:14 AM until 8:41 AM.

Afternoon frequency adjusted to every 39 minutes. Final departure from Bernard Terminal is 7:37 PM.

Route 88 Bathurst:

Weekday frequencies noted below.

• Midday frequency - approximately every 37 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour frequency - approximately every 16 minutes

First and last trips noted below.

• Southbound from Seneca College King Campus from 6:10 AM until 11:10 PM
  • Northbound from Finch GO Bus Terminal: Final departure at 10:51 PM

Route 98 Yonge:

Weekday frequencies noted below.

• Morning rush hour frequency - approximately every 51 minutes
  • Midday frequency - approximately every 57 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour frequency - approximately every 60 minutes
  • Early evening frequency - approximately every 54 minutes

First and last departures noted below on weekdays:

• Northbound from Bernard Terminal from 6 AM until 8:07 PM
  • Southbound from Yonge Street/Green Lane from 5:05 AM until 8:51 PM

Saturday frequency adjustments noted below.

• Morning frequency - approximately every 54 minutes
  • Midday frequency - approximately every 58 minutes
  • Evening rush hour frequency - approximately every 49 minutes

First and last departures noted below on Saturday:

• Northbound from Bernard Terminal from 6:04 AM until 9:10 PM
  • Southbound from Yonge Street/Green Lane: Final departure is 9:08 PM

Sunday frequency adjustments is every 48 to 53 minutes frequency. 

• Northbound from Bernard Terminal from 7:49 AM until 8:35 PM
  • Southbound from Yonge Street/Green Lane: Final departure is 9:17 PM

Route 105 Dufferin:

First and last weekday departure change from Sheppard West Station. Span of service is from 5:44 AM until 12:08 AM the next day. 

Route 107 Keele: 

First weekday departure southbound from Cranston Park/Teston Road is 5:16 AM.

Route 107B Keele:

First weekday departure southbound from Rutherford GO Bus Loop at 6:02 AM.

Route 470 Westmount Collegiate School Special via Thornhill Woods: 

• Westmount Collegiate School Special will be adjusted along Pleasant Ridge Avenue and Autumn Hill Boulevard to shorten the walking distance to Stephen Lewis Secondary School.
  • Stops 3895, 3896, 5168, 5169, 4617, 3903, 3902 and 5157 on Thornhill Woods Drive and Summeridge Drive will not be serviced.
  • New stops on Pleasant Ridge Avenue will be installed by May 1.

Route 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland:

• Operating only on weekends and holidays
  • Service hours to match hours of operations for Canada's Wonderland and Vaughan Mills
  • First departure will arrive for Canada's Wonderland opening for the day
  • Final departure is 30 minutes after Canada's Wonderland closes for the day

Mobility on Request Aurora and Oak Ridges:

• Service area expanded to cover the 33A Wellington being discontinued
  • Monday to Friday is 6:30 AM until 10:45 PM
  • Saturday is 7 AM to 6:45 PM

Mobility on Request Richmond Hill Local:

• Revised to provide service to/from any address within the defined service area, from 8 select locations.
  • Monday to Friday from 7 AM until 3 PM

The 8 selected locations to receive the service are:

• Mon Sheong Court
  • 71 & 75 Dunlop Street
  • 76 & 78 Dunlop Street
  • 125 Pugsley Avenue
  • 33 Weldrick Road East
  • 25 & 35 Marshall Street
  • 100 Observatory Lane
  • 15/20/50/70 Baif Boulevard

On 4/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Route 56 Gorham/Eagle:

Frequency adjustments noted below:

• Morning rush hour frequency - approximately every 66 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour frequency - approximately every 70 minutes

First/last departure changes noted below.

Morning peak period:

• Eastbound from Newmarket Terminal from 5:38 AM until 8:56 AM
  • Westbound from 404 Town Centre from 6:07 AM until 9:25 AM

Afternoon peak period:

• Eastbound from Newmarket Terminal from 1:52 PM until 6:32 PM
  • Westbound from 404 Town Centre from 2:22 PM until 7:02 PM

Route 57 Mulock:

Weekday frequencies adjusted noted below:

• Morning rush hour frequency - approximately every 73 minutes
  • Midday frequency - approximately every 69 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour frequency - approximately every 75 minutes
  • Evening frequency - approximately every 66 minutes
  • Late evening frequency – approximately every 63 minutes

First trip westbound from 404 Town Centre is 7:38 AM until 9:32 PM

How do you plan for a trip when frequencies are that bad. If I am planning to go somewhere and I needed to transfer to a 57 and my first bus was late then it would be faster to walk instead of waiting for the next bus. 

There was an article a few years ago that was talking about the steps to take to improve a public transit system and increase ridership and one of the big things mentioned was that the frequency of service should be 30 minutes at the longest. In fact the article was talking about how transit should be planned under the following frequencies, 10 minutes or better, every 10 minutes, every 15 minutes, every 20 minutes or every 30 minutes. It also said that at transit terminals or exchanges or whatever, that multiple routes should be timed out to meet. So for example 15 people take a viva blue to newmarket and there are 5 local bus routes, those routes should be expected to operate on the same frequency and to leave around the same time. So if the viva ran every 15 minutes (not 18 like it is) then 2 buses worth of people would arrive in time to connect to the 5 local routes. Or depending where the local routes were to operate then they could be running every 30 minutes but having some buses run 15 minutes apart of the other routes. This way it is more seamless transfers for people and it then makes the system easier to travel for people. The only way you are going to have people leave the car at home is to have a transit system that connects, and makes it easy to get from place to place. 

Also worth noting that the examples I gave above were hypothetical situations. I just can't remember what the routes are that travel out of Newmarket Terminal and all of the frequencies. But my point is that there needs to be better bus service in areas or people will never abandon the car no matter how high the gas gets. If I were in charge of scheduling at YRT I would use the VIVA buses as the express services to move people the longer distances, but I would have much better timing for connections at different terminals. I would have local service that would run 30 minutes or better at all terminals and I would design the schedules so that when buses are coming in there is connections. I have seen to many times when a Blue is on time and it pulls into the Richmond Hill Centre and both the Orange and the Purple are leaving at the same time as the Blue is arriving. Yes I know that the blue runs a lot more often but even coming off the Purple and sometimes as it comes in the Orange is leaving. So that means even with the 2 buses on time there is a gap that forces you to wait for the next bus. 

15 hours ago, brianc1981 said:

How do you plan for a trip when frequencies are that bad. If I am planning to go somewhere and I needed to transfer to a 57 and my first bus was late then it would be faster to walk instead of waiting for the next bus. 

There was an article a few years ago that was talking about the steps to take to improve a public transit system and increase ridership and one of the big things mentioned was that the frequency of service should be 30 minutes at the longest. In fact the article was talking about how transit should be planned under the following frequencies, 10 minutes or better, every 10 minutes, every 15 minutes, every 20 minutes or every 30 minutes. It also said that at transit terminals or exchanges or whatever, that multiple routes should be timed out to meet. So for example 15 people take a viva blue to newmarket and there are 5 local bus routes, those routes should be expected to operate on the same frequency and to leave around the same time. So if the viva ran every 15 minutes (not 18 like it is) then 2 buses worth of people would arrive in time to connect to the 5 local routes. Or depending where the local routes were to operate then they could be running every 30 minutes but having some buses run 15 minutes apart of the other routes. This way it is more seamless transfers for people and it then makes the system easier to travel for people. The only way you are going to have people leave the car at home is to have a transit system that connects, and makes it easy to get from place to place. 

Also worth noting that the examples I gave above were hypothetical situations. I just can't remember what the routes are that travel out of Newmarket Terminal and all of the frequencies. But my point is that there needs to be better bus service in areas or people will never abandon the car no matter how high the gas gets. If I were in charge of scheduling at YRT I would use the VIVA buses as the express services to move people the longer distances, but I would have much better timing for connections at different terminals. I would have local service that would run 30 minutes or better at all terminals and I would design the schedules so that when buses are coming in there is connections. I have seen to many times when a Blue is on time and it pulls into the Richmond Hill Centre and both the Orange and the Purple are leaving at the same time as the Blue is arriving. Yes I know that the blue runs a lot more often but even coming off the Purple and sometimes as it comes in the Orange is leaving. So that means even with the 2 buses on time there is a gap that forces you to wait for the next bus. 

You’re not wrong with anything said. The problem is you’re talking about YRT which relies on contracting out operations while also managing everything including headways. When you have a company ( or region in this case)  whose sole purpose is to save money and please the councillors and voters you will not have 30 minutes or better service. 

two examples I’ll give is one stated there about the 88 last NB trip at 22:51, most lower wage workers in retail/food finish work at 23:00, not 22:00 so right there you get rid of a lot of options for commuters.

your other issue is YRT is actively wasting resources whether they realize or not. Take the 77 for example post rush hour after 20:00. All trips from finch to Vaughan Valley BLVD are given 1:20 minutes down to 1 hour, I have friends who drove for Transdev SW ( now run by TOK?) who would either leave -10 and still be early midway or leave on the dot and sit every 5 stops. This is always why you will see a ZUM 501 ensure they leave before VIVA orange comes because Brampton only gets 10-12 minutes to clear Vaughan and can’t be stuck behind a slow VIVA.
 You don’t build positive customer relations this way and you certainly don’t increase service this way. Agencies like the TTC understand that with lighter traffic a bus can be used more ( with operator breaks ) but YRT is either blissfully unaware of their errors or it’s done on purpose to maintain X amount of $ for their budget 

2 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

You’re not wrong with anything said. The problem is you’re talking about YRT which relies on contracting out operations while also managing everything including headways. When you have a company ( or region in this case)  whose sole purpose is to save money and please the councillors and voters you will not have 30 minutes or better service. 

two examples I’ll give is one stated there about the 88 last NB trip at 22:51, most lower wage workers in retail/food finish work at 23:00, not 22:00 so right there you get rid of a lot of options for commuters.

your other issue is YRT is actively wasting resources whether they realize or not. Take the 77 for example post rush hour after 20:00. All trips from finch to Vaughan Valley BLVD are given 1:20 minutes down to 1 hour, I have friends who drove for Transdev SW ( now run by TOK?) who would either leave -10 and still be early midway or leave on the dot and sit every 5 stops. This is always why you will see a ZUM 501 ensure they leave before VIVA orange comes because Brampton only gets 10-12 minutes to clear Vaughan and can’t be stuck behind a slow VIVA.
 You don’t build positive customer relations this way and you certainly don’t increase service this way. Agencies like the TTC understand that with lighter traffic a bus can be used more ( with operator breaks ) but YRT is either blissfully unaware of their errors or it’s done on purpose to maintain X amount of $ for their budget 

That is correct that Southwest is operated by TOK Transit. 

Especially with how the 56 Gorham-Eagle and 57 Mulock seeing much higher headways between departures. When it was hourly, it was easier planning where as now the headways are difficult to calculate without consulting a schedule or transit app if outside the terminal which has variable message screens on all platforms. The passengers who have access to alternative options will most likely utilize them versus waiting long periods between departures. 

The only thing they haven't done is increase fares which was postponed due to COVID-19. I can't imagine those willing to pay $4.50 cash fare for a route that operates every 75 to 90 minutes and a two hour transfer doesn't do much. Those that can seek alternative options would most likely do so not wanting to be confined to a limited window on when they need to travel from A to B. 

Follow-up to the VIVA Next post earlier, York Region has released their Transportation Master Plan which looks to the next 30 years.

Proposed_2051TransitMapAODAMarch2022.jpg

The extension of the Major Mackenzie VIVA corridor seemingly south on the 427 to Rutherford then west to Brampton (which will connect with the extended Züm Bovaird corridor) so that it can also intercept a potential Nashville GO station.  An Elder Mills GO station at Rutherford would make for a more likely eastern terminus for the Züm Bovaird route given its proximity to the border.  I'm just surprised that there isn't a GO station in historic Woodbridge, settling for one at Steeles instead.  The potential Seaton GO line has the potential to supplant the yet-to-open Cornell Terminal. 

As for extending both subway lines up to Major MacKenzie...

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Follow-up to the VIVA Next post earlier, York Region has released their Transportation Master Plan which looks to the next 30 years.

Proposed_2051TransitMapAODAMarch2022.jpg

The extension of the Major Mackenzie VIVA corridor seemingly south on the 427 to Rutherford then west to Brampton (which will connect with the extended Züm Bovaird corridor) so that it can also intercept a potential Nashville GO station.  An Elder Mills GO station at Rutherford would make for a more likely eastern terminus for the Züm Bovaird route given its proximity to the border.  I'm just surprised that there isn't a GO station in historic Woodbridge, settling for one at Steeles instead.  The potential Seaton GO line has the potential to supplant the yet-to-open Cornell Terminal. 

As for extending both subway lines up to Major MacKenzie...

I think that is a bit far. Jane and Major Mackenzie has Canada's Wonderland and Vaughan Mills as possible trip generators. Of course, this is looking decades into the future and not like 10 years fro now. 

Yonge between Richmond Hill Centre and Major Mackenzie, I don't think there is much to justify an extension further north especially with the bus rapid transit infrastructure has already been built along this corridor. Of course, the bus rapid transit infrastructure has provisions to convert to light rail transit if ridership justifies along with funding commitments. Which I don't think will happen anytime soon with the lower ridership currently. 

21 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I think that is a bit far. Jane and Major Mackenzie has Canada's Wonderland and Vaughan Mills as possible trip generators. Of course, this is looking decades into the future and not like 10 years fro now. 

Yonge between Richmond Hill Centre and Major Mackenzie, I don't think there is much to justify an extension further north especially with the bus rapid transit infrastructure has already been built along this corridor. Of course, the bus rapid transit infrastructure has provisions to convert to light rail transit if ridership justifies along with funding commitments. Which I don't think will happen anytime soon with the lower ridership currently. 

The extensions to Major MacKenzie are both shown as needed further study.  There's going to be a point where they're going to have to say no further extensions on the subway line.  With the improvements to GO's service within the same timeframe I don't think it's necessary.  Higher order bus/VIVA service is already planned on the Jane corridor and already exists on the Yonge corridor (though very initial plans have the subway following the Richmond Hill rail corridor).  Light rail should be a proven concept with examples in the GTHA by that time, perhaps they could go with that as a cheaper alternative to the subway.

The VIVA Next plans I had posted a while back which had the Major MacKenzie corridor ending at Don Cousens Pkwy. makes sense now if they are envisioning a GO station there (in addition to Mount Joy?  Perhaps with the electrification of the line and improved service frequencies YRT is assuming the Stouffville Line will operate like London's Overground service).  The Seaton Line is even vaguer in terms of planning progress, but it would seem ideal to plan for some sort of connecting service along Don Cousens while the land is still available to accommodate a VIVA Rapidway. 

The 2023 transit initiatives slide deck is available. Link here for the slide deck.

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/2023-Transit-Initiatives_FINAL.pdf

EDIT: Frequency table issue has been addressed. File attached for record keeping purposes in this post. 

COVID-19 service recovery plan

Route 10 Woodbridge:

• Restore peak period service during the AM and PM peak periods
  • Proposed frequency of 36 to 38 minutes
  • Proposed implementation date of September 2023 
  • Mobility-On-Request Woodbridge would cover the area during weekday mid-days and all day weekends/holidays

Route 21 Vellore Local:

• Re-routed to loop around instead of making the turn at Major Mackenzie Drive replacing 165F Weston
  • Mobility-On-Request Vellore local would be discontinued 
  • Frequency is around every half-hour
  • Proposed implementation date of April 2023

Viva network: 

• Analyze route performance and adjust frequency where needed to better accommodate 
  • Evaluation of reintroducing suspended routes (Blue A, Green and Pink)
  • Analyze implementation of rapid transit services along Jane, Leslie and Major Mackenzie
  • Proposed implementation date of January 2023

Frequent transit network

Route 25 Major Mackenzie:

• Improvement of rush-hour frequency during the morning and afternoon peak periods

Route 50 Queensway:

• Increase mid-day frequency from 39 minutes to 33 minutes

Route 85 Rutherford:

• Improve weekday frequency 
  • Direct connection to Rutherford Go Station pending completion 

Route 105/105B Dufferin:

• Extend service to Maple Go Station pending completion of Eagle Rockway bus loop
  • Two separate branches being Route 105 Dufferin and Route 105B Peter Rupert Avenue/Confederation Parkway
  • Combined frequency between 14/15 minutes during the morning and afternoon peak periods
  • Combined frequency of 24 minutes during the mid-day weekdays
  • Combined frequency of 35 minutes during the weekday evenings
  • Combined frequency of 28 minutes during weekends/holidays 
  • Proposed implementation date of November 2023

Route 165 Weston:

• Extended to Major Mackenzie Drive West Terminal
  • 165F Weston discontinued and replaced with 21 Vellore operating during peak periods

Express routes

20E Jane Express:

• Limited stop express between Highway 407 Terminal and Major Mackenzie Drive West Terminal only servicing terminals and major stops
  • Frequency proposed to be every 15 minutes operating only during the AM and PM peak period

300 series express routes:

• Evaluate performance and adjust service where needed
  • Proposed implementation date of January 2023

Conventional service changes

Route 24 Woodbine:

• Extend service to Gormley Go Station via Woodbine and Stouffville 
  • Discontinue service along Honda Boulevard 
  • Frequency of every 14/15 minutes during peak periods
  • Frequency of 29 minutes during weekday mid-days
  • Frequency of every 24 minutes during weekday evenings
  • Frequency of every 39 minutes during weekends and holidays

Route 26 Maple:

• Discontinue mid-day service due to low ridership
  • First and last departures to be discontinued 
  • Span of hours will be 5:15 AM until 8 PM

Route 33/33A Wellington:

• Discontinue 33A Wellington and convert to Mobility-On-Request Aurora
  • Route 33 frequency increased to every 33 minutes

Route 107/107B Keele:

• Provide service with articulated buses instead of regular 40 ft buses
  • Frequency adjustment on 107B Keele to go from 11 minutes to 18 minutes to account for articulated bus operations 
  • Proposed implementation date of November 2022

Route 406 Markham District School Special and Route 449 Richmond Green School Special via Hillmount to be discontinued due to low ridership. Proposed implementation date of September 2023. 

Mobility-on-request changes

Mobility-On-Request Aurora and Oak Ridges:

• Service hours adjusted. Unfortunately no info shown, so I don't have exact details.

Mobility-On-Request King City Go:

• Expand the MOR King City GO service area to include the area bounded by Highway 9, 10th Concession, King- Vaughan Road and Jane Street
  • Maintain current hours of 5:30 AM until 9:30 AM and 4 PM to 8 PM
  • Proposed implementation date of November 2023

Mobility-On-Request Kleinburg-Nashville:

• Service area expanded east to include Pine Valley Drive to connect with Route 4 Major Mackenzie 
  • Maintain current hours from 5:30 AM until 9:30 AM and 2 PM until 7:45 PM
  • Pine Valley/Davos Drive added as a serviced stop

Mobility-On-Request Vellore Local discontinued pending introduction of Route 21 Vellore Local. 

Mobility-On-Request Woodbridge:

• Pending the restoration of Route 10 Woodbridge, MOR Woodbridge would operate during the weekday mid-day and weekends

2023-Transit-Initiatives_FINAL.pdf

Edited by GTAmissions1
slide deck with frequency table correction attachment added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So essentially a lot of cuts and setbacks even as the pandemic is “over” 

this one makes me laugh “

• Frequency adjustment on 107B Keele to go from 11 minutes to 18 minutes to account for articulated bus operations ”

essentially the region is looking to scale back service with a justified excuse of running a larger bus. There is very few routes that require articulated buses on the Vaughan side. 107 isn’t one of them 

40 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

So essentially a lot of cuts and setbacks even as the pandemic is “over” 

this one makes me laugh “

• Frequency adjustment on 107B Keele to go from 11 minutes to 18 minutes to account for articulated bus operations ”

essentially the region is looking to scale back service with a justified excuse of running a larger bus. There is very few routes that require articulated buses on the Vaughan side. 107 isn’t one of them 

107/107B has a couple of very busy trips, namely those that meet shift change times at the numerous workplaces along Keele Street. That being said, artics shouldn't be needed all day to handle a handful of busy trips.