York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

11 minutes ago, Gil said:

There is a TTC map that indicates a YRT connection at Yorkdale (I'll have to see if I can track it down), which I think no longer operates.  It's not listed on the long-term express map so there's no plan to reinstate it.

That was the 360 Maple Express, Discontinued in 2017 when the TYSSE Opened.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

The premium for express routes using the 407 sounds like passengers chipping in for the toll.  Will some of the proposed express routes that only travel a short distance on the 407 (like the North Markham or Bentonville Express) to get to Bridge/High Tech station also require the premium fare?  Wouldn't using the VIVA lanes on Hwy. 7 avoid the need for paying tolls?

The newly released station maps for the Scarborough subway extension have a larger terminal at Scarborough Centre than at Sheppard East.  I don't know if YRT and Metrolinx know about each other's plans in regards to service in Scarborough. 

The problem with express buses using the bus only lanes is the confusion if a conventional bus ran along the bus rapid transit lanes. Expecting they will be picked up, but instead being bypassed because it isn't servicing the specific stop. Where as Highway 407, it exits only when it resumes local stops despite the additional surcharge. 

Only case I am aware of that a conventional route serviced the bus rapidway was Route 77: Highway 7 between Jane and Keele back in 2017. This was due to Viva Orange not being re-routed yet. When the subway extension opened to Vaughan, Orange was amended to service the bus rapid transit lanes while Route 77 went back to curbside service.

Route 300 Business Express utilizes Highway 407 between Yonge and Leslie which is around two exits with Bayview in-between. A pretty short distance and it still charges the additional 50 cent premium versus Route 305 Box Grove which doesn't exit Highway 407 until Donald Cousen's Parkway being much longer. 

YRT doesn't operate routes close enough to terminate at Scarborough Town Centre or Sheppard East other than the 129 McCowan North being the concern for YRT. Being a TTC contracted route and would most likely be adjusted to terminate at Sheppard East instead of Scarborough Town Centre to avoid duplicating Line 2. South of Sheppard/McCowan, I see TTC route 16 McCowan being extended to cover the small section between STC and Sheppard East to provide local service and access for those with mobility challenges when elevators aren't working. Though, I think it will be many years before YRT discloses any plans that impact their services.

14 hours ago, yrt304 said:

That was the 360 Maple Express, Discontinued in 2017 when the TYSSE Opened.

Ok, so it wasn't a map, but the station listing for Yorkdale that I saw the errant YRT connection when I was checking on the elevator completion status a while back.  When they went to the trouble of updating the station amenities to include an elevator I guess they didn't check to see what else needed updating on the page.

image.thumb.png.8f4f18c456be9496c2394a050c33e888.png

1 hour ago, Tom1122 said:

I have a question: IIRC the 1911-1914 Electric Flyers are short range while 2101-2106 are longer range. Hypothetically, could YRT convert 1911-1914 to long range?

Correct regarding how the 1911-1914 were short range while 2101 to 2106 are longer range which operates pretty much on any route. I have seen 21xx buses operate on the 50 Queensway and 96 Keele-Yonge which are very long routes and no charging infrastructure at their terminus points. 

You have to remember that the 1911 to 1914 buses were for trial purposes and to determine workability. It is possible to convert them to long range if it can accept a higher capacity battery depending on the costs of labour and obtaining the battery packs from New Flyer. 

8 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

What about 1921-22? Are they also short range?

They are also short range too along with being trial buses like 1911 to 1914 New Flyer buses. Usually operating on 44 Bristol and 55 Davis Drive charging between runs with six minutes of charging provides one hour of usage. Sometimes they may stick them onto another route outside of the two, but it also depends on the route schedule and length too if it can handle it.

Only 2101 to 2106 are longer range and don't need to be recharged after every trip. It more depends on how long the route is and how much battery capacity is left after the one round trip once it reaches Newmarket Bus Terminal. Having only one overhead charger, the charging infrastructure is still pretty limited in how long it can operate between charges. Especially when they have operated round trips on 50 Queensway to Keswick and 96 Keele-Yonge to Pioneer Village for the 21xx models. 

1 hour ago, DiltonPlayz said:

Any 2003 D40LFs retired?! All I know is 326 because of the fire.. any D40LF/D40LFRs or Van Hools recently?!

There are 13 D40LFs from 2003 on the road right now.  So far only 326 is gone. The remaining Van Hool articulateds should remain on property until the new Viva branded buses arrive.

6 minutes ago, DiltonPlayz said:

what is the make going to be for the new buses, also will they add 40fts into VIVA's fleet like MiWay or Zum?! 

Also, you know how I can get some old MiWay paper buses like the LFR?

Another question, do the 03s have that flasher going fast like MiWay?

No more 40 foots as they are going 60 foot for all unless anything has changed. Any MiWay questions must be asked in the MiWay topic. But I dont have an answer for any of the MiWay stuff as I focus on smaller Ontario systems.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DiltonPlayz said:

what is the make going to be for the new buses, also will they add 40fts into VIVA's fleet like MiWay or Zum?! 

The replacement Viva buses are supposed to be the Nova LFS Artic which has been the model purchases over the last few batches. Nova LFX was the launch units for Viva after changing from Van Hool which offered guaranteed pricing expired. Region of York issues their contracts for x amount of buses over a certain amount of years.

All future bus purchases are only 60 ft in length being an articulated bus. The only 40 ft buses were for the launch of service which was 60 units being delivered between 2005/2006. The A330 which is the 40 ft Van Hool will be retired either next year or 2024 depending on resource allocation and other factors. 

On 3/15/2022 at 2:58 PM, DiltonPlayz said:

Any 2003 D40LFs retired?! All I know is 326 because of the fire.. any D40LF/D40LFRs or Van Hools recently?!

Afaik, It's only 326 and 332 all other 2003 d40lfs still remain in active service

10 hours ago, DiltonPlayz said:

332?! Why?!

Not Nova... they suck...

Novas are fine stop bitching about them in every post which involves novas. and also the bus is 18 years old… why wouldn’t they not retire it. It’s not that hard to understand information like that. Btw are YRTs 40fts only supposed be in service for 14 years as well? Same with 60fts but 12 years

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

YRT has a internal retirement policy of 18 years for 40 footers and 12 years for 60 footers. Anything that retires before is usually the result of fires...Eldorados I heard fall under the 12 year life span since YRT doesn't usually refurbish their eldorados.

VIVA 5201-5225 (with the exception of those that got converted to local) retired in 2018, largely built in 2005-2006 (~12 yr lifespan)
VIVA 7201-7205 built in 2007, retired near end of 2019/early 2020 (~12 year life span)

Haven't heard anything about 8201-8211 (except 8203) but I suspect those retired as well and that order already outlived their expected service life (likely caused by COVID19)

YRT has a rather flexible retirement "policy", mainly to suit the whims and needs of management at any given time. For example, the retirement age was brought forward to 15 years to facilitate replacement of the Orion Vs (which had fallen out of favour with management), and as soon as the last of them were gone it immediately moved up to 18 years. The 2003 D40LFs are older than 18 years, but are being forced to outlast that due to budget pressures. Management has justified keeping them around longer due to receiving a mid-life refurbishment (despite the 3xx Orion Vs also getting refurbishment work done). Artics still have a 12-year expectancy (to match with the industry standard on when the artic joint needs a costly refurbishment), but again this has routinely been stretched; the original 2005-06 AG300s were repainted and kept for local service until new artics arrived in 2020.

From the rumours I've heard, it seems the 82xx are parked; while still formally on the roster, they're unlikely to return to service. They are now 14 years old, and are the last of the Van Hool artics in service. Their manufacturer is based overseas, so parts availability has been an issue their entire lives (especially now, with the global shipping issues going on). Plus their usage is restricted to Viva Purple, and the ongoing service reductions have made surplus vehicles available, meaning it was no longer necessary to keep them around (same reason the 2008 ElDorados were retired without full replacement).

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Plus their usage is restricted to Viva Purple, and the ongoing service reductions have made surplus vehicles available, meaning it was no longer necessary to keep them around (same reason the 2008 ElDorados were retired without full replacement).

Why are the AG300s restricted to Purple?

Just now, Orion V said:

Why are the AG300s restricted to Purple?

Most likely reliability since Purple is close to the BRT Division. In case a bus breaks down or mechanical issue, they can do a trade-off more easily.

Orange did run AG300 buses during the beginning of COVID-19 when it was swapped with articulated buses to maintain physical distancing and meeting the lowest capacity of 15 on-board at 25 percent capacity seated. They do run articulated buses, but most times they don't operate them because there isn't enough demand.

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Most likely reliability since Purple is close to the BRT Division. In case a bus breaks down or mechanical issue, they can do a trade-off more easily.

That's not it. The problem is the rear overhang of the Van Hools leads to greater concern over sideswiping the poles next to Platform 2 at Finch Station when turning out of the platform. Van Hools can still serve the platform without issues, so long as the driver remembers to turn out more gently. But to reduce the chance of this occurring, it's just easier to stop assigning Van Hools to Blue. This restriction has been in place probably since the 2013 LFS Artics were delivered (and all/the majority of runs on Blue could use LFX/LFS Artic buses).

Since there's only two routes that regularly run artics (Blue and Purple), the remaining Van Hool artics can only be used on Purple. If Pink was still operating, they could still technically be used on that, so long as they stick to Platform 1 at Finch.