York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

On 11/15/2017 at 1:17 PM, tommike said:

Hi What the vanhool artic for yrt bus numbers

On 11/15/2017 at 3:06 PM, jordankcw said:

Saw one pass by the other day and it seems like they just took the "5" off and start the fleet number with the "2"

Yes, they are numbered in the 2XX digits for whatever reason. I think 521-540 would of been just fine....

Idk why they didn't go with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crescent Transit 54 said:

Artic on Viva Orange very rare

As per Articulated:

"For whatever reason, YRT has the Sunday schedule set up so that a bus does the first round trip on Orange, then deadheads to Bernard Terminal to do two round trips on Blue. Since the bus is used on Blue, it gets an artic."

New schedules for the December service changes are now available, by selecting any date on the week of December 17 from the Schedule Finder.

One major change that was not publicized is the significant weekend service reduction on Route 20 Jane:

• Saturdays: from every 14 to every 26 minutes
  • Sundays: from every 16 to every 30 minutes

This reduction may be due to a number of reasons, including:

• Reduced Wonderland/Vaughan Mills passenger traffic during winter
  • Extended travel time to serve SmartCentres Terminal, Highway 407 and Pioneer Village
  • Introduction of articulated buses

Still, cutting service on a busy route connecting the newly-built subway and a major shopping centre/transit hub makes no sense to me... :rolleyes:

On the flip side, at least routes 20 and 77 are being extended to run until approximately 3xm, 7 days per week, to meet the last northbound Line 1 train.

On November 23, 2017 at 8:52 AM, dj.surf.lfs said:

New schedules for the December service changes are now available, by selecting any date on the week of December 17 from the Schedule Finder.

One major change that was not publicized is the significant weekend service reduction on Route 20 Jane:

• Saturdays: from every 14 to every 26 minutes
  • Sundays: from every 16 to every 30 minutes

This reduction may be due to a number of reasons, including:

• Reduced Wonderland/Vaughan Mills passenger traffic during winter
  • Extended travel time to serve SmartCentres Terminal, Highway 407 and Pioneer Village
  • Introduction of articulated buses

Still, cutting service on a busy route connecting the newly-built subway and a major shopping centre/transit hub makes no sense to me... :rolleyes:

On the flip side, at least routes 20 and 77 are being extended to run until approximately 3xm, 7 days per week, to meet the last northbound Line 1 train.

Thanks for the heads up! The question is would YRT afford to run 20 and 77 equivalent to the TTC Blue Night service from 2am to 6am given a lack of owl service with the subway around?  

Secondly, since 407 and VMC stations are within TTC's fare boundaries, how would people get in the stations once they rode a YRT or GO bus? TTC and YRT may consider a co-fare half price discount on either PRESTO or cash without nearly obtaining a extra transfer since YRT's fare is higher than the TTC's. 

15 hours ago, Antarctica said:

Thanks for the heads up! The question is would YRT afford to run 20 and 77 equivalent to the TTC Blue Night service from 2am to 6am given a lack of owl service with the subway around?  

Secondly, since 407 and VMC stations are within TTC's fare boundaries, how would people get in the stations once they rode a YRT or GO bus? TTC and YRT may consider a co-fare half price discount on either PRESTO or cash without nearly obtaining a extra transfer since YRT's fare is higher than the TTC's. 

YRT has no desire to run 24-hour service; although they are close to it at certain times on Yonge Street (less than 60 minute gap between the last 98/99 and the first 99 on certain days of the week). Either way, the area served by the subway is probably the least likely to require overnight service based on what's presently around it - vacant land and big box plazas.

We've been over the fare discussion here and elsewhere on the forum before, and I'm not going to rehash why there is no fare agreement between GO, TTC, and YRT. The subway is within the TTC fare zone, which is one of the reasons GO and YRT are continuing to run service between stations and down to York U.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 4:50 PM, 43 Kennedy said:

Yes, they are numbered in the 2XX digits for whatever reason. I think 521-540 would of been just fine....

Idk why they didn't go with that.

They wouldn't have enough numbers. There's 25 Van Hools, and only 20 numbers. They could renumber the last 5 571-575, but that leaves room for discrepancy.

Even 571-595 would have worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up to anyone regularly using Viva in Markham. Besides the restructuring of Viva Orange and Viva Purple service in Vaughan, the new HOV lanes on Hwy 7 east of Warden will be put into use tomorrow and service to Downtown Markham will be reduced. Details: https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/ttc-line-1-subway-extension.aspx

On 2017-12-16 at 11:06 AM, Transit geek said:

Heads up to anyone regularly using Viva in Markham. Besides the restructuring of Viva Orange and Viva Purple service in Vaughan, the new HOV lanes on Hwy 7 east of Warden will be put into use tomorrow and service to Downtown Markham will be reduced. Details: https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/ttc-line-1-subway-extension.aspx

To be honest, I don't know why they are splitting Purple into two branches between Town Centre and Kennedy. Especially how much money they spent on the rapid transit corridor.

Think it will be a bit confusing to some knowing how much marketing was put into the Enterprise Road rapidway. 

45 minutes ago, yrt1000 said:

Saw some photos on twitter as well as tracking on transsee, but the ex-Viva artics were out on route 20 today. I didn’t see anything mentioned previously, was today their first day in YRT service?

Yes, today is the first day in service. With the changes in effect for the opening of the subway today, route 20 is scheduled to operate with artics at all times.

33 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

To be honest, I don't know why they are splitting Purple into two branches between Town Centre and Kennedy. Especially how much money they spent on the rapid transit corridor.

Think it will be a bit confusing to some knowing how much marketing was put into the Enterprise Road rapidway. 

Development in Markham Centre (the area between Highway 407, Warden, Highway 7, and the railway tracks) has been uneven to develop. More development (especially the residential component) has occurred along Highway 7 than the areas closer to Enterprise where Viva currently runs, so YRT wishes to bring rapid transit to those high-density developments along Highway 7. The easiest way to do this is to route some trips straight across Highway 7 instead of diverting down to Enterprise.

I agree with you... but the decision is not mine to make...

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Saw some photos on twitter as well as tracking on transsee, but the ex-Viva artics were out on route 20 today. I didn’t see anything mentioned previously, was today their first day in YRT service?

Yes, today is the first day in service. With the changes in effect for the opening of the subway today, route 20 is scheduled to operate with artics at all times.

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Here is one of those Artics you are mentioning, no 214 specifically, on route 20. It was at Pioneer Village station today at 12:46.

20171217_124710[1].jpg

6 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Here is one of those Artics you are mentioning, no 214 specifically, on route 20. It was at Pioneer Village station today at 12:46.

20171217_124710[1].jpg

I would be hard pressed to call that a "picture" considering it's too out of focus to identify a number.

Talking with a SW supervisor today, he said there were currently 11 artics at the SW yard. Other board members have identified 202, 205, 208, 209, 211, 212, 213, 214, 219, and 223 as being converted to YRT, with many of those in service today. Over the next few days I'm sure we will find out what the current 11th unit is, and what other artic units will pop up.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

They still plan to use it regularly, all day, be it with purple service or pink/green rush hour service. The corridor they built between Town Centre and Birchmound pales in comparison to the one between Bayview and Town Centre, which will be used by all purple and pink service. Given the possibility for attracting more demand across both corridors (Highway 7 / Enterprise), it seems to me more like a smart move than a waste of money. But, that's just an opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it being considered once VIVA Purple no longer serves York University (Or Pioneer Villiage Station) and the new YRT Route 100 or 101 starts up, would YRT want to renumber those routes that seemingly are the same as the ones that TTC once operated in York Region prior to the subway extension?
107, or the 70 - Keele; 165, or the 65 - Weston. I know it seems too early to look into it, but may be a good idea in my opinion to further separate those route numbers from the once-familiar TTC routes.

14 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Is it being considered once VIVA Purple no longer serves York University (Or Pioneer Villiage Station) and the new YRT Route 100 or 101 starts up, would YRT want to renumber those routes that seemingly are the same as the ones that TTC once operated in York Region prior to the subway extension?

107, or the 70 - Keele; 165, or the 65 - Weston. I know it seems too early to look into it, but may be a good idea in my opinion to further separate those route numbers from the once-familiar TTC routes.

They had originally planned to use different numbers for the routes taken over from the TTC with the opening of the subway.  For whatever reason, they decided to use the same route numbers instead but revised the route name.

107 KEELE NORTH was to become 29 KEELE, 35 JANE was to become 35 JANE LOCAL (which was eventually axed), 165 WESTON RD. NORTH was to become 65 WESTON and 105 DUFFERIN NORTH was to become 75 DUFFERIN and be routed into Pioneer Village Station.

• Thanks 1