York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Yea the document says 2018 in Newmarket for the 55 route. So they might be purchased and received by year's end. My only question is why 55? The 44 would be a better option, more regenerative braking, plus would only need one quick charge unit...

The best question is why test something now when you claim it could take upwards to 30 years to implement? I understand infrastructure but that's why they have overhead (I prefer a battery swap out method like Tesla) quick charge units looking like lamp posts.

Along the right side of the pdf:

"Richmond Hill Centre Terminal Concessions

2017 will see the construction and opening of a concession building that will provide an enhanced customer service experience. 
The building will provide YRT/Viva’s first retail space and an accessible-interactive information centre."

2 words: about time. I remember them doing a survey a while ago asking about having retail there... Never was asked I don't think but I'm happy about it. As long as it's not Starbucks/Second Cup that is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ber said:

i also noticed that they plan to have cornell open sometime early next year....have they started building yet?

They need to dig NOW if they are to meet their target date

Maybe my memory is wrong, but haven't they been saying the Cornell terminal would be built 'by next year' for the past, like, 5 years?

Bus 1385 has a Init live display unit in it looking like this behind the driver at priority seating is, looks nice but it's in a place that makes it really useless due to its size.

Miller driver failed epically Saturday... The bus was 1117, so maybe someone knows better/more about what happened.

I'm safely assuming a compression loss of some sort

The driver failed to notice/ignored(or possibly told to) the abnormal noise coming from the engine area and drove it from at least Bernard with it. At Weldrick the bus was basically crippled, engine and heating worked but the buzzer for low pressure (assuming) was non stop (or what I remember). If it truly was the air system the best question is why they didn't at least notice the air pressure change? During a 2 minute excursion outside at a previous stop (they called control then after losing it there too) I'm guessing to check the pressure on a different gauge but I had my headphones on.  

Even if the dash gauge was malfunctioning the abnormal noise should of tipped them off that something was not right. So what's the point in having a Z classification or a license for that matter if drivers are just going to ignore it and its requirements? If the noise started after leaving the depot they should at least call it in and check all systems (took them less than 2 minutes outside). The 99 is also usually at Bernard first but pulled in right after the 98.

Only at Weldrick did the driver attempt to regain pressure threw mildly revving the engine as a last effort. If the driver checked for the source of the abnormal noise they could of called it in sooner because we waiting for the viva blue (15 minutes at Weldrick, also travel time from depot + warm-up/start time) which beat the replacement bus(it got there before the blue but didn't leave till after), which was likely dispatched when the bus lost pressure the first time.

When the support vehicle driver got on, the bus driver pumped the brakes and pressure quickly was lost.

Tok last Saturday had a similar issue with the 98, that driver didn't drive the bus to it's grave however, but continued to drive it after calling it in. We also had a new bus within 5 minutes of idling at Wellington.

On 3/5/2017 at 3:49 PM, Ber said:

i also noticed that they plan to have cornell open sometime early next year....have they started building yet?

They need to dig NOW if they are to meet their target date

It was supposed to built years ago. I'll believe it when the shovels hit the ground.

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Bus 1385 has a Init live display unit in it looking like this behind the driver at priority seating is, looks nice but it's in a place that makes it really useless due to its size.

Miller driver failed epically Saturday... The bus was 1117, so maybe someone knows better/more about what happened.

I'm safely assuming a compression loss of some sort

The driver failed to notice/ignored(or possibly told to) the abnormal noise coming from the engine area and drove it from at least Bernard with it. At Weldrick the bus was basically crippled, engine and heating worked but the buzzer for low pressure (assuming) was non stop (or what I remember). If it truly was the air system the best question is why they didn't at least notice the air pressure change? During a 2 minute excursion outside at a previous stop (they called control then after losing it there too) I'm guessing to check the pressure on a different gauge but I had my headphones on.  

Even if the dash gauge was malfunctioning the abnormal noise should of tipped them off that something was not right. So what's the point in having a Z classification or a license for that matter if drivers are just going to ignore it and its requirements? If the noise started after leaving the depot they should at least call it in and check all systems (took them less than 2 minutes outside). The 99 is also usually at Bernard first but pulled in right after the 98.

Only at Weldrick did the driver attempt to regain pressure threw mildly revving the engine as a last effort. If the driver checked for the source of the abnormal noise they could of called it in sooner because we waiting for the viva blue (15 minutes at Weldrick, also travel time from depot + warm-up/start time) which beat the replacement bus(it got there before the blue but didn't leave till after), which was likely dispatched when the bus lost pressure the first time.

When the support vehicle driver got on, the bus driver pumped the brakes and pressure quickly was lost.

Tok last Saturday had a similar issue with the 98, that driver didn't drive the bus to it's grave however, but continued to drive it after calling it in. We also had a new bus within 5 minutes of idling at Wellington.

The buzzing noise is most likely low air warning alarm.  When i drive the bus i focus on the speedometer and rarely focus the air brake gauage.  

From your description it sounds like the bus has a severe air leak on the brakes.  The safety feature will automatically lock the brakes up after it drops to a certain psi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

The buzzing noise is most likely low air warning alarm.  When i drive the bus i focus on the speedometer and rarely focus the air brake gauage.  

From your description it sounds like the bus has a severe air leak on the brakes.  The safety feature will automatically lock the brakes up after it drops to a certain psi.

After it drops below 80 PSI

• Like 2

YRT would have bigger issues if the bus didn't do it's legal obligation...

20 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

I figured it was for air, just I don't have a Z classification or anything beyond G for that matter, plus I don't know every warning system in a bus ;) I do/have however played several hundred hours worth of TruckersMP and offline versions of supported games with simulated air turned on. Also my workplace has a compressor that runs threw out the day, and have had leaks or hoses blow (not fun at 130psi+).

I personally don't have a issue with someone not looking at the gauge it's just if you have a abnormal noise not passed by a mechanic or comes up during your travels you shouldn't ignore it... Even if the gauge didn't show it doing a bake test (like the one they did at the end) should of. I also understand the havoc the cold could do to said system, and how it could take time to show up.

YRT 2018 Service Plan:

• Routes 1/2 (weekend)/9/14/16/18/25/522 - modified to serve new Cornell Terminal early 2018
  • 1 Highway 7 - reduced service weekdays and Saturdays
  • 3 Thornhill - modified to serve Pioneer Village Station
  • 10 Woodbridge - route shortened to end at VMC
  • 20 Jane - modified to serve VMC, Hwy 407 and Pioneer Village stations
  • 22 Keele-King City - combined existing 22/22A and TTC 107B/C and reorganized into following branches:
    • 22 Pioneer Village - York U - Newmarket GO Bus Terminal (current 22A) - new service 7 days/week
    • 22A Maple GO - Seneca King (current 22)
    • 22B Pioneer Village - York U - Rutherford GO via Rivermede (current 107B)
    • 22C Pioneer Village - York U - Teston (current 107C)
  • 26 Maple Local - extended to VMC via Edgeley St (original plan was via Jane - possibly combined with 35?)
  • 50A Sutton-Pefferlaw - modified to serve Georgina Island Ferry Dock
  • 88 Bathurst - improved Saturday frequency
  • 100 York University - new route replacing Viva Purple west of RHC (Pioneer Village Station - York U - Richmond Hill Centre) 
  • 105 Dufferin North - service assumed from TTC, extended to Major Mackenzie Dr at all times
  • 165 Weston Rd North - service assumed from TTC, extended to Pioneer Village Station
  • 320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express - modified to serve new 404/Major Mackenzie Carpool Lot
  • 360 Vaughan Express - discontinued
  • 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland - will be expanded to run 7 days/week, year-round (I guess this means Viva Silver won't happen yet... :()
  • Viva Purple (phase 1)- shortened to run between Richmond Hill Centre and Cornell Terminal
  • Viva Purple (phase 2)- new branch via Highway 7
  • Viva Orange - modified to run between Martin Grove and Richmond Hill Centre via Hwy 7 and Centre St. Extension to Hwy 50 and branch to Finch Station will start in 2019
  • Viva Yellow - reduced service on weekends
  • Nashville DAR - new dial-a-ride service in Kleinburg area
  • U of T Scarborough - new service to UTSC by September 2018

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

YRT 2018 Service Plan:

• Routes 1/2 (weekend)/9/14/16/18/25/522 - modified to serve new Cornell Terminal early 2018
  • 760 Vaughan Mills/Wonderland - will be expanded to run 7 days/week, year-round (I guess this means Viva Silver won't happen yet... :()
  • Viva Purple (phase 1)- shortened to run between Richmond Hill Centre and Cornell Terminal
  • U of T Scarborough - new service to UTSC by September 2018

Cornell? Oh please.  However, if that thing does get built, I do believe YRT and DRT would split resources to run a Route 930 between Cornell and Brock/407 Park 'N Ride. Is this still accurate?

Does 760 run all year round anyway, just not to Wonderland, that is?

U of T Scarborough. I didn't expect this. An expansion of a VIVA route, methinks Green given that it seems to be the closest in the area. Perhaps to head there via Scarboorough Centre, or any specifics on that routing?

26 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Cornell? Oh please.  However, if that thing does get built, I do believe YRT and DRT would split resources to run a Route 930 between Cornell and Brock/407 Park 'N Ride. Is this still accurate?

U of T Scarborough. I didn't expect this. An expansion of a VIVA route, methinks Green given that it seems to be the closest in the area. Perhaps to head there via Scarboorough Centre, or any specifics on that routing?

Cornell Terminal is expected to be ready by January 2018.

760 runs year-round but not 7 days/week during fall/winter (except during the Christmas shopping season).

I couldn't find any routing information for UTSC service. 

6 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

YRT 2018 Service Plan:

• Viva Orange - modified to run between Martin Grove and Richmond Hill Centre via Hwy 7 and Centre St. Extension to Hwy 50 and branch to Finch Station will start in 2019
  • Viva Yellow - reduced service on weekends

Looking through the Viva changes. 

Two branches on Purple and Orange. 

Purple: 

Purple, I think it is going to be a bit annoying with the southern loop between Town Centre and Kennedy and staying on Highway 7. Especially building all that infrastructure to realize the service is going to be split into two different directions.

The trade off is no rush hour service on the southern loop. Pink will pick up the demand. I haven't taken Viva Purple or Pink in a very long time, so I am not sure how much demand that corridor receives. 

Orange: 

It is understandable to have two different branches. Especially those that are looking to connect with Purple, Blue or Go Transit services at Richmond Hill Centre. Or those that simply want to connect to Finch Station. Along with an extension to Highway 50 for easier connection to Brampton Transit services. 

Yellow:

I don't think they have had good performance along with noticing the reductions in service. Especially with how short the route is, it is hard to attract demand other than the major destinations at Newmarket Go Station and Southlake Regional Health Centre. 

Final comments:

Not a bad plan especially with other changes to reflect once the new subway extension opens. Though also need to manage cost control and ensure that service levels match demand considering the heavy burden to provide transit services. 

18 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

760 currently operates between Finch to Vanghan Mills in Weekends Year-round weekend service with Seasonal (weekday and weekend) service to Wonderland, With 2018 plan, they will make all day service to Vanghan Mills from November to April and to Wonderland from May to October. 

For UTSC Express, there aren't any detailed routing has been decided yet, I think it will going to be updated on final plan document.

22 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

I believe it's not because of silver is postponed, as 760 will continue to bypass All stops at Jane street Except Interchange and Highway 7, If it was replacement of silver, I pretty sure this suppose to reroute to VMC station I guess.

Oh and Yes, New proposed 26 is combined with 35, as 26 was suppose to use Jane Street to VMC Station per last document that presented.

The full version of the 2018 Annual Plan is now available online. Unlike in previous years which has a proper report, this one is in more of a presentation format (like they just posted the slides from a presentation to Regional Council). dj.surf.lfs covered all the changes in his post so I won't replicate them, but thought it would be useful to share the full version of the plan now that it is online.

In the plan there are some renderings of the Cornell Terminal (yuck), and confirming an opening date of December 2017 for the subway extension.

There's a bit of overlap in the report, as there are three unofficial sections: the first deals with changes related to the opening of the subway (takeover of TTC routes in Vaughan, extensions to subway stations, and VNEP changes), the second has changes related to the opening of Cornell Terminal, and the third is all other changes. Some routes as a result are duplicated in the report (route 1 as an example is in two "sections", having frequency reduced as part of VNEP, but also modified routing to serve Cornell).

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

The full version of the 2018 Annual Plan is now available online. Unlike in previous years which has a proper report, this one is in more of a presentation format (like they just posted the slides from a presentation to Regional Council). dj.surf.lfs covered all the changes in his post so I won't replicate them, but thought it would be useful to share the full version of the plan now that it is online.

In the plan there are some renderings of the Cornell Terminal (yuck), and confirming an opening date of December 2017 for the subway extension.

There's a bit of overlap in the report, as there are three unofficial sections: the first deals with changes related to the opening of the subway (takeover of TTC routes in Vaughan, extensions to subway stations, and VNEP changes), the second has changes related to the opening of Cornell Terminal, and the third is all other changes. Some routes as a result are duplicated in the report (route 1 as an example is in two "sections", having frequency reduced as part of VNEP, but also modified routing to serve Cornell).

They always uses 'storyboard' for public information sessions in march. I believe proper 'report format' of 2018 service plan will be release in the later this year, with customer's feedbacks are being implied.

The best option for a UTSC route would be Markville Mall -> STC GO Terminal -> UTSC.

Perhaps this would present an opportunity for YRT to take over the popular 129A and build new ridership heading to UTSC?

Perhaps:
29 McCowan between Major Mackenzie -> STC GO

29A McCowan between Bullock Drive -> UTSC via STC GO

Having the bus loop around Bullock Drive would be beneficial as it would create a $0.75 connection from Lincolnville/Uxbridge/Stouffville GO Bus riders looking for a direct connection to UTSC. Having a one seat, one fare connection to two major trip generations (STC and UTSC) would make this a fairly successful and high ridership route. Also whoopee for free connections to DRT!

Thoughts?

129.jpg

12 hours ago, Transit_Hub said:

VIVA 17-- seen in a Nova Bus Promotional video on the Nova Bus Facebook. video credit to Nova, just took a screenshot the LFSA.  (Screenshot is not clear)

IMG_27032017_180911_0.png

I'm on my phone so I can't tell the driver side number, did/can you see the 17 on a computer? If not the factory floor video could be as old as 2009/2010 ;)