York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

6 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

So YRT wants the 77 to operate on the West Rapidway but the 1 - Highway 7 still wouldn't be using the rapidway along with Purple in Richmond Hill/Markham? Or, is that just the first step of taking local routes to using rapidways?

There's two competing interests in this situation. The new Highway 7 West rapidway stations are finished construction and waiting for buses to run on them, and politically the stations need to be serviced as soon as possible. Meanwhile serving these new stations with a new branch of Viva Orange between Martin Grove and Promenade would likely require 5-7 buses, and double service on a portion of the network that has low ridership, in the face of existing budget pressures (a last-minute service reduction that began in January is indicative of that).

So, how do you add a new route without adding new costs? Redirect existing resources - in this case, they will divert the existing route 77 buses to use the Rapidway stations instead of the normal curbside stops. I will assume this is only a temporary (political) measure until either that Orange branch to Promenade begins, or the subway opens and Viva services are realigned according to approved plans.

IMO, running YRT buses into the rapidway stations definitely dilutes the Viva "brand", but clearly the political willpower to get the rapidway stations served is too strong.

5 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

The only YRT route that will serve York University will be the 100 - York U shuttle. I"m not sure if it will be a 7-day service route though.  

It will run on weekdays only. https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/2016-Spadina-Subway-Strategy/2016-Spadina-Subway-Strategy_Pioneer-Station.pdf

Edit: It's basically VIVA Purple West of Yonge.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:24 AM, dj.surf.lfs said:

Highway 7 West Rapidway will open Feb. 26 (next Sunday) and it will be served by Viva Purple and (!!) YRT Route 77 (I'm assuming temporarily until Viva Orange starts running to Promenade...)

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 2.07.28 .png

Following up...

77 Highway 7 will use the new Creditstone and Keele rapidway stations both ways. Fares will continue to be collected onboard buses.

Viva Purple will use the Keele rapidway station eastbound only. Westbound stop remains unchanged. 

This change is temporary until the Spadina Subway opening... looks like the Orange branch to Promenade won't happen anytime soon.

https://www.yrt.ca/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=61871a87-3a4a-4422-a905-45226803e0f1&newsId=c777e661-0d30-477d-a081-ccec027dcda2

On 2017. 2. 21. at 8:01 PM, dj.surf.lfs said:

Following up...

77 Highway 7 will use the new Creditstone and Keele rapidway stations both ways. Fares will continue to be collected onboard buses.

Viva Purple will use the Keele rapidway station eastbound only. Westbound stop remains unchanged. 

This change is temporary until the Spadina Subway opening... looks like the Orange branch to Promenade won't happen anytime soon.

https://www.yrt.ca/Modules/News/index.aspx?feedId=61871a87-3a4a-4422-a905-45226803e0f1&newsId=c777e661-0d30-477d-a081-ccec027dcda2

Hopes rapidway speeds up the route. The purple bus spent Keele&Highway 7 least 5 to 7 minutes to wait the signal to turn left.

3 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

Westbound Viva Purple will not use the rapidway.

Yea. This is just a my hope.

Because keele rapidway station is west side of highway 7, this is the reason why purple continue to use existing stop. I think they can still use dedicated way to wait the left turn rather than mixed traffic. I ll check out about this when rapidway is open.

1422 is currently doing the trainning along rapidway.

Also, looks likely exterior announcements are returned, at least 1032 makes exterior announcement. They announce same way as few years ago.

1 hour ago, Viva5113 said:

Yea. This is just a my hope.

Because keele rapidway station is west side of highway 7, this is the reason why purple continue to use existing stop. I think they can still use dedicated way to wait the left turn rather than mixed traffic. I ll check out about this when rapidway is open.

1422 is currently doing the trainning along rapidway.

Also, looks likely exterior announcements are returned, at least 1032 makes exterior announcement. They announce same way as few years ago.

SE 582 does too, and it's similar to the TTC beginning with the route number and as the door closes, the announcement stops if that's what you mean. Found out as operator thought I was going to board a bus.

37 minutes ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

SE 582 does too, and it's similar to the TTC beginning with the route number and as the door closes, the announcement stops if that's what you mean. Found out as operator thought I was going to board a bus.

Yeah. I can confirm all southwest vehicles making exterior route announcements now. They are using exact same way that used untill summer 2015 ish, however they pull down due to it's poor performance before.

A good number of viva buses have announcements back, I think novas only tho. They are really quite however but doesn't sound bad anymore either.

For those asking about the law here it is:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/110191#BK57

I think this case was a major player in the speed of which the systems where put in:
https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/08/06/human_rights_ruling_set_to_change_sound_of_transit.html

For vivanext hwy 7 eastbound, this means situations like this one are just going to get worst because one is no longer allowed to make rights on red (the annoying factor of viva green at enterprise, coming to a purple near you). They'd be better off to leave vivanext alone till it's counterpart opens up later this year...

For Westbound lane it's unlikely (they did state it won't) to use it unless they installed the funky "will only ever use once but never take down because they make it look cool lights" like at the 404 bridge center lane part. Maybe someone here could give some insight as to why those lights still even exist? Eastbound ones might still be used for RYB signals but I've not paid much attention to it.

@tommike as said above like how the green does it, while you twiddle your thumbs at the red waiting for the green light the bus you want goes driving by saying "YOLO~, guess you should of grabbed the earlier bus ^_^" Reasons why I take the 68 or walk now are going to be the same reasons I'm going to avoid the purple till the subway extension.

On 2017-02-23 at 5:20 PM, Egg-Roll said:

A good number of viva buses have announcements back, I think novas only tho. They are really quite however but doesn't sound bad anymore either.

For those asking about the law here it is:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/110191#BK57

I think this case was a major player in the speed of which the systems where put in:

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/08/06/human_rights_ruling_set_to_change_sound_of_transit.html

For vivanext hwy 7 eastbound, this means situations like this one are just going to get worst because one is no longer allowed to make rights on red (the annoying factor of viva green at enterprise, coming to a purple near you). They'd be better off to leave vivanext alone till it's counterpart opens up later this year...

For Westbound lane it's unlikely (they did state it won't) to use it unless they installed the funky "will only ever use once but never take down because they make it look cool lights" like at the 404 bridge center lane part. Maybe someone here could give some insight as to why those lights still even exist? Eastbound ones might still be used for RYB signals but I've not paid much attention to it.

@tommike as said above like how the green does it, while you twiddle your thumbs at the red waiting for the green light the bus you want goes driving by saying "YOLO~, guess you should of grabbed the earlier bus ^_^" Reasons why I take the 68 or walk now are going to be the same reasons I'm going to avoid the purple till the subway extension.

IMO i dont really mind stop announcements for every stop....but for the love of god please replace crystal on YRT/VIVA!!!

its robotic butchery of street names is just agonizing....please yrt update the software...

3 hours ago, Ber said:

IMO i dont really mind stop announcements for every stop....but for the love of god please replace crystal on YRT/VIVA!!!

its robotic butchery of street names is just agonizing....please yrt update the software...

Don't you know YRT/VIVA won't replace Crystal? They'll find a way to say it's too expensive to do reprogram something that barely works. They have to prioritize advertising, then backwards planning, then service cuts, THEN they can find a way to find software updates in the budget.

• Like 1

Currently on new highway 7 west rapidway.

The difference from notice posted on website is 77 also serves Keele rapidway station. 

purple buess making that weird right turn from Keele into rapidway EB at Keele/highway 7. 

EDIT: For purple. westbound, my hope was actually happening. There is a dedicated signal for making left turn from rapidway at Hwy7/keele WB.

IMG_4839.JPG

Ok, but that right turn tho... Ugh... Not the drivers actual turning(looks like a head-on collision is going to happen however), the fact it's viva green now...

I don't see any dedicated signal unless they are using the center transit signal which has a filter/stencil in it to force a arrow till completion (bet 5 bucks they forget about it if that's the case).

Is the sole purpose of the funny right turn just for the Keele stop or is there a stop that got installed in the last 2 weeks in the center lanes I don't know about or might of possibly missed?

48 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Ok, but that right turn tho... Ugh... Not the drivers actual turning(looks like a head-on collision is going to happen however), the fact it's viva green now...

I don't see any dedicated signal unless they are using the center transit signal which has a filter/stencil in it to force a arrow till completion (bet 5 bucks they forget about it if that's the case).

Is the sole purpose of the funny right turn just for the Keele stop or is there a stop that got installed in the last 2 weeks in the center lanes I don't know about or might of possibly missed?

For WB, there is 'white' signal that dedicates left turn from rapidway in black rapidway signal.

14 hours ago, tommike said:

yrt buying 6 electric 40ft buses 

four newflyer

two nova

Where is your source? I have this but nothing about who they are buying from...

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/ASP2017/ASP2017_07-2017-ASP-Goals.pdf

On 27/02/2017 at 4:07 PM, Viva5113 said:

For WB, there is 'white' signal that dedicates left turn from rapidway in black rapidway signal.

Ok, I also noticed this instead of green arrows for eastbound buses after town center. For that one it's likely due to the limitless amounts of dumb drivers thinking it's their light...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Where is your source? I have this but nothing about who they are buying from...

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/ASP2017/ASP2017_07-2017-ASP-Goals.pdf

Ok, I also noticed this instead of green arrows for eastbound buses after town center. For that one it's likely due to the limitless amounts of dumb drivers thinking it's their light...

When I was in community events before, Staff have neen told about electric buses will be purchased in future, but there aren't any info about details(like Which vehicle?) at all. Just thing they told me is exactly same with what document saying.

There aren't any thing can proof it's going to happening in some time soon general.