York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Right now, they could keep adding bus frequency to meet demand. How many buses per hour would be the max before LRT becomes feasible?

They are running service at the level of BS to even have BRT reserved bus lanes. Spending over $1B to built these rapidways is pure waste of taxpayer's money. They are better off with curb bus lanes like Allen Rd.

When you start seeing bus jammed like Ottawa then you know it's time for LRT. A bus every 10-15 minutes doesn't even require BRT at all. Even LRT on Sheppard East is pushing it and that's a hell more busy.

"If you build it, they will come"

Perception is a big selling point when it comes to transit. The shiny stations with a landscaped medians may draw people who look at the bus as a poor person's commute.

So there is two standards:

American (politician) standard: people will come, 15-20% of operating the capacity is very good. If ridership doubles from 15 riders to 30 riders per bus/LRV, they are doing good. Most American LRT/streetcar systems, Mississauga Transitway and VIVA rapidways are built for this type of low demand.

Feasibility (engineer) standard: the demand is already there. Current services are operating close to capacity and forecast to exceed capacity within 10-15 years. On opening day, at least 40-60% of the capacity is used. The infrastructure is not considered white elephant and capital and operating costs justifies.

Technically we should only build transit for the second case but the 905 likes to build stuff for the first case. They high ball all their numbers and sell the project as success. They usually end up with something like the UPX.

The problem with YRT is fare is way too expensive for such infrequent service. I agree it's a lot nicer to be in a VIVA bus than a TTC bus but it's not worth it for regular commuters. York Region will never get a LRT in 50 years unless they start stacking buildings upwards instead of expanding sideways. The same goes for commercial buildings too. No one is going to take the bus to work if they have to walk 20 minutes from the bus stop.

The 407 transitway might happen not because of development but if 407 toll fees get really ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Once the new VIVA routes are implemented (When would they be beginning?), would VIVA be in need for any more buses to be purchased to supplement the new VIVA Silver and Red?

Additionally, I remember reading somewhere several months ago that a new type of an express route along Don Mills/Leslie known as the 390 were to be implemented. What is its timeline?

Once the new VIVA routes are implemented (When would they be beginning?), would VIVA be in need for any more buses to be purchased to supplement the new VIVA Silver and Red?

Additionally, I remember reading somewhere several months ago that a new type of an express route along Don Mills/Leslie known as the 390 were to be implemented. What is its timeline?

I can't seem to find the detailed implementation plan on YRT's website anymore, but there would be a decrease of buses on Purple and an increase on Orange/Silver. The realignment of Green would not result in a net increase in buses. Overall, there will be new Viva bus purchases in the near future as the original orders of both 40ft and 60ft buses reach the end of their life expectancy.

There has never been a proposal for a Viva Red route.

The 2016 Service Plan puts the introduction of the 320 and 390 at September 2016.

I can't seem to find the detailed implementation plan on YRT's website anymore, but there would be a decrease of buses on Purple and an increase on Orange/Silver. The realignment of Green would not result in a net increase in buses. Overall, there will be new Viva bus purchases in the near future as the original orders of both 40ft and 60ft buses reach the end of their life expectancy.

There has never been a proposal for a Viva Red route.

The 2016 Service Plan puts the introduction of the 320 and 390 at September 2016.

Thanks for straightening that out..

I only felt that there was going to be a second VIVA route other then Silver on Jane Street. For some reason, I was under the impression that there was going to be a VIVA route either along Major MacKenzie and/or Rutherford. I might be out of the loop on that, but that's the other main reason why I felt that VIVA may need more buses other then the replacements of the original 2005 40 and 60 foot models.

Thanks for straightening that out..

I only felt that there was going to be a second VIVA route other then Silver on Jane Street. For some reason, I was under the impression that there was going to be a VIVA route either along Major MacKenzie and/or Rutherford. I might be out of the loop on that, but that's the other main reason why I felt that VIVA may need more buses other then the replacements of the original 2005 40 and 60 foot models.

Two routes will provide Viva service along Major Mackenzie... the new Silver route will serve Jane and Major Mackenzie west of Bayview(ish) while the realigned Green route will serve Leslie and Major Mackenzie east of Yonge(ish). But Major Mackenzie will not have its "own" separate route.

Maybe the second new route you were thinking of was either Yellow or the fact that Green was being realigned (in reality the old and new Green will only share one stop in common, so it's more of a totally new route which reuses the name from a discontinued route).

24 woodbine will be introducing in June 19th.

2017 Annual service plan storyboard has been released.

These are something mentioned in that PDF File.

Cornell Terminal expect to open in 2018.

YRT

2 - Rush hour frequency will be 15 minutes.

4 - Midday frequency will be improved.

9 - Route extend to 14th Avenue

16 - More buses will added in rush hour (30 min frequency to 15 min frequency).

22A - Early morning trips will be added.

23 - Remove last trip due to low ridership and routing adjustment to Thomas Cook Avenue instead Bathurst and Major Mac.

31 - Introduce weekday evening DAR service (same operation with 34 and 84.)

33 - Extend some trips to Aurora Rd.&404 Park and ride (Sep. 2016)

50 - Review about trips extends to Pefferlaw.

51 - Discontinue last southbound trip from Keswick Marketplace.

58 - Restructure the route to Mount Albert and Sharon in rush hour.84 - Extend to Gormley GO

85/85C - 85C branch will be removed. All 85C trips will be extend to Napa Valley.

88 - Frequency will be reduced from 36 to 27 minutes.

91 - Extra buses added in rush hour (Sep.2016)

244 - Service will be discontinue due to lower ridership.

421,427 - Combine them and extend to Copper Hills Area.

522 - Operates only three days per week.

DRT

601 - proposed to expend route to York-Durham boundary (Something looks like 50B?)

960 - proposed to connect Uxbridge and Davis&404 Park and ride.

TTC

68B - Rush hour frequency will be improved (to every 15 minutes)

And for sure there will be service adjustment related to subway extension.

24 woodbine will be introducing in June 19th.

2017 Annual service plan storyboard has been released.

Cornell Terminal expect to open in 2018.

YRT

2 - Rush hour frequency will be 15 minutes.

4 - Midday frequency will be reduced.

9 - Route extend to 14th Avenue

16 - More buses will added in rush hour (30 min frequency to 15 min frequency).

22A - Early morning trips will be added.

23 - Remove last trip due to low ridership and routing adjustment to Thomas Cook Avenue instead Bathurst.

31 - Introduce weekday evening DAR service (same operation with 34 and 84.)

33 - Extend some trips to Aurora Rd.&404 Park and ride (Sep. 2016)

50 - Review about trips extends to Pefferlaw.

51 - Discontinue last southbound trip from Keswick Marketplace.

58 - Restructure the route to Mount Albert and Sharon in rush hour.84 - Extend to Gormley GO

85/85C - 85C branch will be removed. All 85C trips will be extend to Napa Valley.

88 - Frequency will be reduced from 36 to 27 minutes.

91 - Extra buses added in rush hour (Sep.2016)

244 - Service will be discontinue due to lower ridership.

421,427 - Combine them and extend to Copper Hills Area.

522 - Operates only three days per week.

DRT

601 - proposed to expend route to York-Durham boundary (Something looks like 50B?)

960 - proposed to connect Uxbridge and Davis&404 Park and ride.

TTC

68B - More buses will be added in rush hour.

And for sure there will be service adjustment related to subway extension.

Cornell in 2018? Until I see shovels digging into the ground and concrete poured this date isn't going to happen.

Two routes will provide Viva service along Major Mackenzie... the new Silver route will serve Jane and Major Mackenzie west of Bayview(ish) while the realigned Green route will serve Leslie and Major Mackenzie east of Yonge(ish). But Major Mackenzie will not have its "own" separate route.

Maybe the second new route you were thinking of was either Yellow or the fact that Green was being realigned (in reality the old and new Green will only share one stop in common, so it's more of a totally new route which reuses the name from a discontinued route).

I wasn't thinking of VIVA yellow, but I had the idea that Green was going to be realigned, but not along Major Mac. Felt that there was another VIVA route for either Major Mac or Rutherford.

Anyhow, good to know that information. Thanks, Articulated. :)

I wasn't thinking of VIVA yellow, but I had the idea that Green was going to be realigned, but not along Major Mac. Felt that there was another VIVA route for either Major Mac or Rutherford.

IIRC I think the green was to be realigned to follow the old 90 Leslie route, up Leslie to Elgin Mills then west on Elgin Mills towards Bathurst/Shaftsbury

Cornell in 2018? Until I see shovels digging into the ground and concrete poured this date isn't going to happen.

That file says like that, but I also think about Cornell terminal may open later than target date if they didn't start construction soon.

It'll just be an extra bus during peak periods to achieved 15min headways. Not buses. It's not as good as you think.

I'll fix my wording than.

On top of that question, how do I get to Cineplex Cinemas Markham and VIP during the weekends from Scarborough since 17A BIRCHMOUNT and VIVA Green/Pink do not operate on weekends or midday. Is routes 8 KENNEDY, 68B WARDEN possible since VIVA Purple does not stop at Birchmount? Just a bit curious.

There's Google maps you can use...

On top of that question, how do I get to Cineplex Cinemas Markham and VIP during the weekends from Scarborough since 17A BIRCHMOUNT and VIVA Green/Pink do not operate on weekends or midday. Is routes 8 KENNEDY, 68B WARDEN possible since VIVA Purple does not stop at Birchmount? Just a bit curious.

Viva Green and Pink don't stop at Birchmount either...

When I went to that theatre I walked from the Warden Vivastation. It's not too far to walk if you're able bodied, should be under 10 minutes. Although I agree with the unsaid point that such a major trip generator (a cinema and shopping centre) has no convenient transit access outside of rush hour.

Anyone know roughly how long the hiring process takes for each of the three YRT contractors? Transdev is hiring and says they try to interview fast, but that's a relative measurement... Couldn't find any reference to this in the thread.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2016 at 5:49 PM, Articulated said:

Viva Green and Pink don't stop at Birchmount either...

When I went to that theatre I walked from the Warden Vivastation. It's not too far to walk if you're able bodied, should be under 10 minutes. Although I agree with the unsaid point that such a major trip generator (a cinema and shopping centre) has no convenient transit access outside of rush hour.

Someone told me at the public information centre that there will be a new stop at Birchmount to be added by June.

On 3/30/2016 at 7:25 PM, Bessarion said:

Anyone know the routing of the new 24 woodbine route?

On 3/24/2016 at 8:39 AM, 21 Brimley said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll discontinue this idea although he has posting some stolen non transit videos as well as GoAnimate clips on a daily basis on his channel.

Dude, TransitComedian is not hum1979.

On 3/23/2016 at 5:56 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Major Mackenzie actually.