York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

1372 was the first new NovaBUS in service followed by Myself in 1371, and then 1374, All on Viva Purple - RHCT shuttles this morning.....

1370 and 1375 were delivered this afternoon.....

When are they going to get deployed east of RHC? We badly need them out here (although a frequency increase would be just as welcome. Just sayin')

We badly need them out here (although a frequency increase would be just as welcome. Just sayin')

I would much rather have frequency increases before they think about putting the artics out there. Waiting for buses caught in gaps when they are supposed to be showing up every 7 1/2 minutes sucks, to put it mildly.

Dan

I would much rather have frequency increases before they think about putting the artics out there. Waiting for buses caught in gaps when they are supposed to be showing up every 7 1/2 minutes sucks, to put it mildly.

Dan

Agreed, that would be my first option too. I was caught today (and many times over the past few weeks) on a packed A330 with another one bunched only 3 minutes behind. However, we all know how York Region refuses to increase service anywhere for any reason...

Regardless, the 13xx were ordered to replace the converted A330s and convert the majority of Purple runs, which was supposed to occur with the opening of the rapidway. With school back in and the lighter summer commute gone, at this point I'm fed up with overcrowded buses, and any relief right now (be it larger vehicles as promised or more frequent service) is better than the status quo.

Agreed, that would be my first option too. I was caught today (and many times over the past few weeks) on a packed A330 with another one bunched only 3 minutes behind. However, we all know how York Region refuses to increase service anywhere for any reason...

Regardless, the 13xx were ordered to replace the converted A330s and convert the majority of Purple runs, which was supposed to occur with the opening of the rapidway. With school back in and the lighter summer commute gone, at this point I'm fed up with overcrowded buses, and any relief right now (be it larger vehicles as promised or more frequent service) is better than the status quo.

I wonder what the spare ratio is for the 40 foots/60 foots right now. Just wondering if they could assign one or two 60 footers or even extra 40 foots to ease the loads (pending driver availability for the latter case).

The 7.5 minute combined frequencies in reality are more of 10 minutes, two buses bumper to bumper. Or 4 buses come within 3 minutes of each other and then a 15 minute gap.

On a side note, I think they actually adjusted the timings on the rapidway, not 100% sure though.

1372 was the first new NovaBUS in service followed by Myself in 1371, and then 1374, All on Viva Purple - RHCT shuttles this morning.....

1370 and 1375 were delivered this afternoon.....

Congrats on being able to run one of their first runs. ^_^ Found any differences with regard to operating them than the 10xx Novas?

I have seen one of the new "ticket vending machines" on the Highway 7 rapidway. It is basically the one that looks like a bank machine with the buttons with no touchscreen, a card reader with a pin pad for "chip card and pin technology" along with a phone number to contact YRT in the event the TVM malfunctions.

I asked the YRT through an email once and currently unfortunately, they are no plans to roll out additional "ticket vending machines" of the new model unless it is a rapidway. The next set of stops that will get the new "ticket vending machines" are the next stage of Highway 7 east of Highway 404 and Davis Drive.

Also, how likely is it to get a 60 ft on Viva Purple since I usually see the 40 ft on Purple especially since the amount of 60 fts is becoming much higher than than the 40 ft buses.

When are they going to get deployed east of RHC? We badly need them out here (although a frequency increase would be just as welcome. Just sayin')

this week was monitoring frequncies and such on the route, and calculating which runs will recieve 60 footers..... barring any changes, look for 60 foot purple runs starting sometime next week....

13xx buses were pulled after the first day due to a minor issue with communications.... should return next week as well...

It's that time of the year again...YRT cash fares potentially going up to $4.00 next year.

They are already high enough at $3.75. $4.00 is now just getting out of hand now especially since sometimes, I cannot take the Go Train and have to take the Go bus to Newmarket Station and transfer onto a Viva Blue in order to get to Toronto. Since Viva Blue from Newmarket Station to Finch Station is a two zone, it will be $5.00 if the fare increase is approved of course.

It's that time of the year again...YRT cash fares potentially going up to $4.00 next year.

Is there any reprieve by way of passes and tickets?

<reads the option 3 table>

I almost spit my apple juice to the monitor after seeing the Adult monthly pass jumping to $132!!! Conciession fares are tolerable though, I gotta admit that.

Richmond Hill line will be busier knowing that the fare will be $3.30 + $2.70 + possible 2014 fare hike using YRT+TTC. Pity to those Torontonians working at the 407/Leslie tech hub as their fare for 300 Business Express will reach $152 a month + $128.50 Metropass + possible fare hike in 2014.

Is there any reprieve by way of passes and tickets?

<reads the option 3 table>

I almost spit my apple juice to the monitor after seeing the Adult monthly pass jumping to $132!!! Conciession fares are tolerable though, I gotta admit that.

Richmond Hill line will be busier knowing that the fare will be $3.30 + $2.70 + possible 2014 fare hike using YRT+TTC. Pity to those Torontonians working at the 407/Leslie tech hub as their fare for 300 Business Express will reach $152 a month + $128.50 Metropass + possible fare hike in 2014.

not unless go puts their fares up as well, but yeah richmond hill line could get busier, as it stands its only a couple bucks cheaper than YRT+TTC combined, thats how i get downtown on weekdays often, i take the GO train (or the "Trainbus" while go hasnt refered to them as that for awhile, the name stuck with me)

LOL..

"

Loyalty discounts are resulting in the average fare trending lower

During the past two years, an increase in the use of passes and the PRESTO card has been observed.

This trend, along with a decrease in fares paid with cash, has resulted in less overall revenue being received (lower average fare).

This is beginning to place pressure on the revenue portion of the cost recovery ratio (see Attachment 1).

Well what did they EXPECT!? You keep pushing cash fares up so OF COURSE people will use tickets/presto/passes which are CHEAPER! The constant "presto is cheaper and easier" and "your best option is tickets or pass" probably helped with that too! So they basically screwed themselves by pushing so much Presto, Ticket and Pass use, that now they are blaming that for the fare increase? What a load of bull! And then with the increase they will once again make a big push that passes, and Presto are your "best value", and then once again in 2015 or 2016 will probably see yet ANOTHER increase blaming "Lower Average Fare". Oh lordy lordy...

I for one have given up any sort of "fare enforcement". I just don't care anymore.. they keep acting stupid with all their little cutbacks and fare increases and multi-bilion dollar "rapid ways". York Region, you are really dissapointing me!

I for one have given up any sort of "fare enforcement". I just don't care anymore.. they keep acting stupid with all their little cutbacks and fare increases and multi-bilion dollar "rapid ways". York Region, you are really dissapointing me!

Here here!

They can rapid transit-ize Highway 7 and Yonge all they like, a lot of people aren't impressed with the lackluster service on the rest of the system (that actually gets them to/from those BRTs), and the pennypinching, expensive fares, and cutbacks going on.

Here here!

They can rapid transit-ize Highway 7 and Yonge all they like, a lot of people aren't impressed with the lackluster service on the rest of the system (that actually gets them to/from those BRTs), and the pennypinching, expensive fares, and cutbacks going on.

FEED THE UPPER MANAGEMENT!

Here here!

It certainly sounds like another city west of Toronto that is doing the same thing, more on a municipal level compared to a region-wide scale. Same kind of ideas on prioritizing investments on more heavily used corridors and alot less on the feeder routes. Captial budget saying, "Predicatable spending making sure nothing changes." Is this York Region?

1371, 1373, and 1374 are on full length Purple right now.

Same thing today, with 1372 out doing a charter on the Rapidway as well:

9721743400_fd31e26abb_n.jpg

Viva 1372 by dj.surf.lfs, on Flickr

PS: Just like the 4th Gens currently being delivered, these buses only have a "NOVABUS" badge at the back (instead of "LFS Artic" or "LFX"), so now there is no way to identify the correct model other than looking at the VIN plate (And yes I do know that the Viva 13xx are LFS Artics).

Out of curiosity and riding the new rapidways, are there restrictions in place for drivers when in the rapidways? I've noticed that many drivers are driving very gingerly when in them and come to a crawl when approaching an intersection even when it is a green light.

I think this was mentioned before in this thread, but the bus schedules still reflect travel times pre-rapidway. Buses will slow down to get back on schedule.

I think this was mentioned before in this thread, but the bus schedules still reflect travel times pre-rapidway. Buses will slow down to get back on schedule.

It's been adjusted somewhat, even when buses are -3 or more, they still sort of hesitate...though the majority of cases seem to be drivers waving at the cops/customer relations people ;)

For those who want to know the difference between the LFS Artic and the LFX there is one way to figure it based on my observation today. The LFX do not have a yellow strip below the doors way instead it is a black strip. While the LFS Artics have the yellow strip below the door way. Only noticeable on the exterior.