York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

How is the Zone 1 / Zone 2 system going to work with the Stouffville 15 route? Will someone travelling from Stouffville to Yonge St pay a two zone rate? If not then someone travelling from MS hospital to Yonge St via Stouffville Side Rd. does it on a Zone One fare. Looks like an interesting way to get to Newmarket and avoid the whole VIVA routing. True rapid transit in York Region.

How is the Zone 1 / Zone 2 system going to work with the Stouffville 15 route? Will someone travelling from Stouffville to Yonge St pay a two zone rate? If not then someone travelling from MS hospital to Yonge St via Stouffville Side Rd. does it on a Zone One fare. Looks like an interesting way to get to Newmarket and avoid the whole VIVA routing. True rapid transit in York Region.

The boundary between Zones 1 and 2 are (just south of) King Road, and (just north of) Bloomington Road. Stouffville Sideroad is 2km south of King Road; therefore, route 15 is entirely in Zone 1.

Eastbound Leslie vivaNext shelter has some new additions from the last time I visited (December 2012).

The east end of the shelter has a giant "No Exit" sign, obviously meaning you can't exit there. The west end (closest to Leslie) has a small, curved cement platform constructed with the words "Leslie Street" engraved on the exterior facing the eastbound lanes of Highway 7.

Some major changes taking place the June 30, 2013 board period.

A few points:

Route 85 - will be renumbered to route 16 and service 16th/carrville from Markham Hospital to Bathurst Street (operated by South-East division). Route 85A will service Yonge to Napa Valley and be operated by South-West division

Route 85B wil be cancelled and replaced by route 244 - Beaver Creek shuttle in the east end. Apparently (not confirmed) the west end will be replaced by new route 21-Vellore Local from Vaughan Mills Mall into the Vellore community (244 by SouthEast division, route 21 by South West division).

Route 87 - will be operated by South-West division

Route 90 - will service Don Mills/Leslie from Don Mills Subway to Richmond Green High school. New route 80 will service elgin mills from Elgin west community centre to Woodbine cathedral community. (both serviced by South-East division)

Route 91 - will be operated by South-East division

Route 4A will be operated by south-east division, be renumbered to route 25 and operate from Markham Hospital to York Central hospital, peak hours only. Route 4 will operate from Vaughan Mills to either Yonge/Bayview area or woodbine and still operated by South-west division

Route 1 and 2A will start/end in the east end at the Walmart and Copper creek and donald cousens parkway. 2A will be renumbered route 14.

Route 9 will end at Boxgrove and Copper creek for south end and Walmart for north end. Only entering parkview twice

Route 4A will be operated by south-east division, be renumbered to route 25 and operate from Markham Hospital to York Central hospital, peak hours only. Route 4 will operate from Vaughan Mills to either Yonge/Bayview area or woodbine and still operated by South-west division

So the 2013 service plan was a lie...

91 should have never been southwest in the first place. It seems the renumbering of 85 and 4 is done so no two divisions operate the same route number even if they operate different branches?

Southwest had less runs than Southeast did, which is why they moved the 91 over. I don't see how Southwest is getting anything in return for moving the 91 back to Miller, as usually they like to keep operations between the two southern divisions fairly equal.

The renumbering of the routes makes sense because the two halves of the current 4 and 85 will not be running together except for a very short period. If someone gets on a bus at McCowan and Rutherford, having both sides numbered 85 would make them think that they can ride the same bus all the way to Vaughan Mills (which they can't). Separating the numbers helps avoid rider confusion, making the mental note that they have to transfer from the 16 to the 85.

You also have no idea the number of people who still think the 2A goes to Finch, when it's never done that, even back in its Markham Transit days.

York Region Transit / Viva is inviting the public to attend a Public Information Centre (PIC) at the Markham Civic Centre on Wednesday, April 3, 2013 from 4 pm to 7 pm in the Great Hall. This is a great opportunity to voice your opinions about transit in York Region.

http://www.mycornell...20April%203.pdf

YRT has been holding PICs in every municipality since March 18th. The Markham one is the 8th one out of 9, so this is not a 'new' thing. This plan has also been discussed for the last 2 pages (~40 posts) of this thread.

Information available here.

Perhaps the PICs are not new news to you but it could be new news to others. Not everybody keeps up to date with the latest in transit. Also my post serves as a reminder for anyone wishing to attend the PIC tomorrow at the Markham Civic Centre.

The information is already contained in this thread as I said in my previous post. If someone isn't aware of it, it's because they did not take the time to read through the thread. There is also no need to post the same information twice in one thread.

http://www.yorkregio...ville-bus-route

I definitely like this route.

Probably a fast way to get to Yonge Street from Stouffville, and from there you can basically go wherever you want.

Finally, a connection to Yonge Street for those in Stouffville. Will definitely help if development grows along the Stouffville Sideroad corridor too (as evident by the road work lately).

Finally, a connection to Yonge Street for those in Stouffville. Will definitely help if development grows along the Stouffville Sideroad corridor too (as evident by the road work lately).

Widening of Stouffville Sideroad was only done as far west as Woodbine (the section between Woodbine and the railway bridge was already 4 lanes). This is not to serve development along the road, it's to provide more capacity for commuters living in Stouffville heading to the 404.

Widening of Stouffville Sideroad was only done as far west as Woodbine (the section between Woodbine and the railway bridge was already 4 lanes). This is not to serve development along the road, it's to provide more capacity for commuters living in Stouffville heading to the 404.

Heading to the 404 to head to Toronto, Hopefully some transit service along the corridor to Yonge will help with traffic a bit.

Service changes effective April 21

Also, YRT will be conducting a customer satisfaction survey starting next Monday. I think a lot of us riders have some kind comments for them...

Will say this, I am glad about the change of route 51 to primarily Woodbine service. Residential development along the corridor has exploded along with various commercial spots, so hopefully it sees more service.

Some of the changes in 2014 Service Plan will now be implemented in 2013. They include:

• 26 Maple Local to replace sections of 87 and 360 (service provided 7 days/week)
  • 87 will now run rush-hour only between Vaughan Mills and RHC.
  • 360 shortened to Vaughan Mills.

This is in addition to all proposed changes to School Specials, which will be implemented in September.

http://yrt.ca/en/aboutus/resources/2014_YRTVivaServicePlan_2013implementation.pdf

Some of the changes in 2014 Service Plan will now be implemented in 2013. They include:

• 26 Maple Local to replace sections of 87 and 360 (service provided 7 days/week)

• 87 will now run rush-hour only between Vaughan Mills and RHC.

• 360 shortened to Vaughan Mills.

This is in addition to all proposed changes to School Specials, which will be implemented in September.

http://yrt.ca/en/abo...lementation.pdf

<_< Guess that email response I sent didn't work.

Let's see what York Region has wasted money on since 2005...

- Paint

- Lane expansion x 2

- Shelters x 3

- Ad banners

- Fare machines

- Richmond Hill Centre

- Van Hools (simply because replacement parts had to be shipped from overseas)

- Trash bin rehaul

- Bus stop movements

- Welcome aboard stickers

- Viva TVs that never worked

- Run-time review committee (they ended up destroying run times such as the 90)

- myRide program (to an extent)

Let's see what York Region has wasted money on since 2005...

- Paint

- Lane expansion x 2

- Shelters x 3

- Ad banners

- Fare machines

- Richmond Hill Centre

- Van Hools (simply because replacement parts had to be shipped from overseas)

- Trash bin rehaul

- Bus stop movements

- Welcome aboard stickers

- Viva TVs that never worked

- Run-time review committee (they ended up destroying run times such as the 90)

- myRide program (to an extent)

I sincerely hope the people at 50 High Tech read this and know that they are wasting money on things that do next to nothing to improve why they operate a transit system and that they are running this transit system into the ground.

It's a disgrace of a transit system. Too damn expensive and absolutely shitty service. Too much emphasis on Viva, not enough on what makes Viva an express service. They throw all the local routes under the bus.

There are likely people without a university education on this board who could do a much better job at running YRT. Want to know why you go over budget? Too much spending on useless shit!!!

[/rant]

richmond hill centre was a joke, instead of buliding everything it right the first time (like mike holmes would say) they bulit it barebones to save money and i doubt it was alll cheap to start off with and then slowly upgraded with crucial things like heated waiting areas and a public washroom how many years later? or converting vanhools to conventional because theres no money in the budget to replace 13 year old buses?

richmond hill centre was a joke, instead of buliding everything it right the first time (like mike holmes would say) they bulit it barebones to save money and i doubt it was alll cheap to start off with and then slowly upgraded with crucial things like heated waiting areas and a public washroom how many years later? or converting vanhools to conventional because theres no money in the budget to replace 13 year old buses?

The 13 year old buses you're describing are being replaced in a roundabout manner. Ridership on Viva is expanding, especially on Purple/Pink, and YRT wants to expand the capacity by converting it to a 60ft route. However, if they buy new Novas there will be way too many 40fts for only Green and Orange service. Therefore, the conversion allows new artics for Viva, and allows the retirement of the older Orion VIs and the 2000 Vs.

Believe me, I don't like it any more than you do, but face it... the conversion is a more cost-effective option than buying new artics for Viva AND buying new 40fts for YRT, plus having a third of the A330s sitting in the yard everyday not being used.

The 13 year old buses you're describing are being replaced in a roundabout manner. Ridership on Viva is expanding, especially on Purple/Pink, and YRT wants to expand the capacity by converting it to a 60ft route. However, if they buy new Novas there will be way too many 40fts for only Green and Orange service. Therefore, the conversion allows new artics for Viva, and allows the retirement of the older Orion VIs and the 2000 Vs.

Believe me, I don't like it any more than you do, but face it... the conversion is a more cost-effective option than buying new artics for Viva AND buying new 40fts for YRT, plus having a third of the A330s sitting in the yard everyday not being used.

yeah that actually does make sense in a odd way, replacing older buses with more newer buses......

There is another option: VIVA Backup :P

New branding, new signs, new flashy website designs, another brand to distract you from the rest of YRT's crumbling inadequate service frequencies on local routes.