York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Did you guys notice as parts of the cuts, they've shrunken enforcement officer teams down to 1 officer.

Meaning, with no backup, they no longer check fares anymore.

I've seen them 5-10 times in the past month or so and they just stand around at the terminals now by themself.

This is just ridiculous. Viva is eating up so much money through lost fares and now they're no longer checking fares either!

Not to mention:

-Lost fare revenue

-Fare enforcement costs

-Ticket vending machine maintenance costs

Just get rid of POP and revert back to pay when boarding. I don't buy the "only 1-2% actually evade fares though" that York Region tends to use in their reports. It's 1-2% of the people that actually stop for them who most likely paid their fares, most of the evaders I see sneak around them whenever they're doing their checks.

Did you guys notice as parts of the cuts, they've shrunken enforcement officer teams down to 1 officer.

I've seen them 5-10 times in the past month or so and they just stand around at the terminals now by themself.

I almost always see an Enforcement officer at Newmarket terminal. They usually just stick around and make sure everything's in order (though Newmarket Terminal seems to have it's own rent-a-cops), while boarding the odd Viva bus for fare checks and handing out route navigators.

This is just ridiculous. Viva is eating up so much money through lost fares and now they're no longer checking fares either!

I assume that you are making an assumption here..... I worked 5 days last week, and had my bus checked everyday......

The officers posted at terminals, are positioned there, there are mobile officers as well.....

I assume that you are making an assumption here..... I worked 5 days last week, and had my bus checked everyday......

The officers posted at terminals, are positioned there, there are mobile officers as well.....

Which route are you on? I ride the purple/green between Enterprise and McCowan everyday and I never get checked.

They're usually at RHC and west. Inspectors were at Promenade yesterday.

Maybe you're not looking hard enough. I've been checked twice on Orange in the past 3 months.

Dan

I've seen them at RHC quite a number of times, Promenade not quite as much. But they're mostly stationary at those terminals, I meant ones at random intermediate stops.

Orange I'm not too familiar with (most of my business is east), but every time I head up on the western Highway 7 corridor, I end up riding Zum anyway (usually comes first anyhow)...I'm guessing you got checked at York U? Seeing how much lower the frequencies are for Orange than the other routes I'm actually surprised you got checked.

York Region first in Canada to offer real-time Google Map trip planning

The Regional Municipality of York has become the first transit agency in Canada to offer real-time trip planning on Google Maps.

For the past nine months York Region Transit (YRT) has been working with Google to create the new online interface which incorporates York's bus-mounted GPS information into the existing Google Maps Trip Planner.

"Previously you could have gone on Google to plan a trip, but it would be based on static information, just the bus times on the schedule," says Rajeev Roy, transportation management systems manager with York Region. "But in the last year-and-a-half Google started developing a real-time interface for a few agencies in US. Once I heard about that, I thought—let's do the same here."

While YRT/Viva has had GPS on their buses since 2009, that information was, until last week, only available on the transit website or via automated email. With GPS data now integrated with Google Maps, users just have to enter a starting address and destination. The Google interface will generate a trip plan, walking directions and map. If it turns out a bus is delayed, users can zoom in on the stop to see the alternative routes that service it.

"It's of great help to our customers," says Roy. "They don't have to get out of their office in advance and wait at a particular stop. If they know there's traffic and they know the bus will be late, they can wait in their office... They can grab a coffee. It does really allow the management of your time much better. And once people feel like they can save time by taking transit, you attract more riders. And of course, this leads to all sorts of good things such as reduced congestion and more sustainable transit."

YRT/Viva riders can access the service by going to Google Maps and clicking the public transit icon.

Your tax dollars at work. :P

Orange I'm not too familiar with (most of my business is east), but every time I head up on the western Highway 7 corridor, I end up riding Zum anyway (usually comes first anyhow)...I'm guessing you got checked at York U? Seeing how much lower the frequencies are for Orange than the other routes I'm actually surprised you got checked.

Once at York U, and once further west. Not nearly frequent enough for my liking however, considering that I have been checked a half-dozen times in the same period on GO (despite using it far less frequently).

Dan

For fare inspection, I've noticed that anything west of RHC on Vivia Purple is covered by York Region Police. I've been checked by them about five times, twice at Leslie and three times at Warden.

I have been stopped numerous times at Richmond Hill Centre also,.

When did YRT/Veolia purchase the vacant warehouse across the road from the Bowes garage? Driving by, saw the garage door open with a few Viva buses inside.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=43.815346,-79.503089&spn=0.003987,0.010568&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=43.815272,-79.503068&panoid=Z9nMttXvVJXKGkzs4kvKVg&cbp=12,41.85,,0,2.65

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of two current banner images of the YRT main page:

http://yrt.ca/en/res...ome-banner3.jpg

The sign is blurred out, but that is not a YRT sign, but an NYC Transit sign...and that's Columbus Circle in New York City.

noticed that image on a transit info poster at the ikea in vaughan (which tells you what YRT routes are nearby and the general schedule etc),

Transportation Services Committee Agenda for October 31, 2012

http://www.york.ca/N...d/oct+31+LT.pdf Daily Boardings and Vehicle Use. (April 2012 stats)

http://www.york.ca/N.../oct+31+bus.pdf Anti-Idling Program.

http://www.york.ca/N...1+ridership.pdf September 2012 Ridership Stats.

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/r2oau52tlzsrq2c37vul4rh53t4wrvadloynotaygcmbheeb3552qaj5r4emsmd2jujc7euejmsttdztrxbwspqlte/oct+31+lcd.pdf Termination of Byte Media Advertising Contract.

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/gaxojfs3wzgormwapvti42eqpk2wbti2krmx73boey5awumkzoj3lmmrvt6mxmrw6svf7c3gbun24yfnbmxixjrhac/oct+31+yonge.pdf Yonge Subway Extension Update.

There are other items that are private such as acquisition of a new North Facility.