TTC in the news

buschic

29 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

Watch the ad

They are also advertising for new employees, right when it hit the news that there will be service reductions. So what, who cares. Everything there lags reality. Sure, they have to replace some staff due to retirement/quitting/firing, but every decision the commission makes is lagging reality. Why the hell were they running full service at the start of the covid plandemic? Somebody has to pay for that decision now, unfortunately that money comes from increased crowding and reduced reliability on existing routes. I'm sure those people that used to rely on the premium downtown express routes are steaming mad right now. Oh wait, maybe not, those people have lots of money and options, they will just pressure their employers to allow work from home, while the rest of us suckers stand on a super crowded line 2 train waiting for the doors to close, but some sjw douche decides to hold the doors open for somebody at the top of the stairs at St George because the train should wait for their dumb ass to get down the stairs, even though the next train would have arrived by the time they made it down the stairs. I'm tired of this all, people are inconsiderate Karens who think they know better than everybody, and who feel they are more important than everybody else.

Pay for the services you use, they will be gone in a while if they aren't funded appropriately. Don't complain if a service is shit, if you don't pay to use it. People in Toronto are spoiled rotten with good very frequent public transit, they don't know what it's like elsewhere.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

Pay for the services you use, they will be gone in a while if they aren't funded appropriately. Don't complain if a service is shit, if you don't pay to use it. People in Toronto are spoiled rotten with good very frequent public transit, they don't know what it's like elsewhere.

It does make one wonder where in North America one is finding notably better transit. Unless perhaps one is a rat who likes pizza ...

deleted...nevermind this post, I had a point but couldn't quite put it into words properly.

Essentially I was trying to compare ttc service with other agencies in Ontario, specifically the GTA (GO, YRT/Viva, Oshawa, ...) and I decided not to post it since my post was pointless.

Basically the post went: some routes on the TTC have 4 min frequency, it sucks that three vehicles on that route get bunched together for a 12-15 minute wait, but it still is better than having to wait for a vehicle in a system that has 30 minute frequencies and is late.

So yes, spoiled effin rotten

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, Turtle said:

This is such a terrible argument. With the exception of some major cities, the US is where transit goes to die. That article exists because we have spineless leadership and no one willing to take concrete, painful steps. Its a shame we stood by and watched the King Pilot succeed, and not implement it elsewhere. Queen is such a disaster if you're riding a streetcar.

Compared to places with top-tier transit, the whole landscape here is shifted over to a side where transit isn't as high of a priority. Why do you think when people come from abroad (see: Europe), they're not particularly impressed? The people running the show here try to please everyone. That just doesn't work. 

And 30 minute frequency is not something we're trying to compare ourselves to. You're trying to compare yourself to the kid that gets a D in class because he doesn't give a shit, and you're patting yourself on the back because you got a better mark than he did.  

Okay yes, 4 mins headway is not bad, but its certainly not as good as it could be, certainly not during rush hour. I don't see you pointing out the thousands of tweets complaining about 401 traffic...aren't drivers also spoiled with all their 16 lane highways, right on reds, and endless parking lots? Why do people complain about paying tolls on the 407? Have they not seen what people pay in the US? Spoiled effin rotten, no?

Your attitude towards this whole topic is the sort that holds us back. 

7 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

This is such a terrible argument. With the exception of some major cities, the US is where transit goes to die. That article exists because we have spineless leadership and no one willing to take concrete, painful steps. Its a shame we stood by and watched the King Pilot succeed, and not implement it elsewhere. Queen is such a disaster if you're riding a streetcar.

King is a success? Have you ridden one during rush hour lately? When they aren't getting held up on red lights, they are getting held up by other streetcars, north/south traffic blocking the intersection (Spadina, Bay, Yonge, Peter, Jarvis, Church), a horrible traffic signal at Sumach,  and cyclists that can't ride faster than 20km/h but have no where else to ride except in front of the streetcar.  The bike share stations at Yonge eb and Spadina eb block the right turn lane on King, so when traffic backs up on Yonge or Spadina, right turning traffic block the eb streetcars. Add to that all the people that can't actually complete a right turn from the right lane and take up part of the left lane blocking the ttc. Straight trucks get a pass on this, but Bob in his Honda CRV should go to driving school.

On top of it, they whole of it all is still very temporary. Stops get moved, the stop for St. Andrew station/University avenue is a bit of a walk, and stop platforms are in horrible shape from snow plows and disrepair. People get confused by the downtown express stops that nothing actually services right now. Super long stretches between some stops, too long. Nice that they had the guts to remove stops, but they went a little too far with that.

Sure, the streetcars move better through the core than they used to, but it isn't good.

Compared to places with top-tier transit, the whole landscape here is shifted over to a side where transit isn't as high of a priority. Why do you think when people come from abroad (see: Europe), they're not particularly impressed? The people running the show here try to please everyone. That just doesn't work. 

And 30 minute frequency is not something we're trying to compare ourselves to. You're trying to compare yourself to the kid that gets a D in class because he doesn't give a shit, and you're patting yourself on the back because you got a better mark than he did.  

Okay yes, 4 mins headway is not bad, but its certainly not as good as it could be, certainly not during rush hour. I don't see you pointing out the thousands of tweets complaining about 401 traffic...aren't drivers also spoiled with all their 16 lane highways, right on reds, and endless parking lots? Why do people complain about paying tolls on the 407? Have they not seen what people pay in the US? Spoiled effin rotten, no?

Your attitude towards this whole topic is the sort that holds us back. 

Somebody has to pay for it, somebody has to have a plan to improve the network, people have come up with both in the past, but then somebody else gets voted in and scraps everything. When they do actually make something that can improve service dramatically (reliability, frequency - i.e. the 512/510 rows), other people refuse to activate transit signal priority, not even the minimal that would hold a green light for 10 seconds for an approaching streetcar or bus.

Don't let me get started on how stupid the design of the 509 row is, or at least how they failed to anticipate human behavior: cyclists, pedestrians on the mixed use trail, people trying to cross the street at marked crossings, car drivers that need to let somebody off but have nowhere to do so, car drivers getting confused, and so on. Light cycles at Bathurst that give 2 seconds for the streetcar driver to react.

Add in an almost complete lack of enforcement of traffic rules on the King pilot, or with cars turning into the 509 right of way on Bathurst south of Lakeshore and Spadina/Queens Quay. Don't forget about all those people making illegal left/u-turns on Bathurst and Queens Quay, or those making illegal right turns from Bathurst sb to wb lakeshore (often in to the wb fleet row). Oh, can't forget about all those people going through red lights on Spadina and St. Clair when they turn left or u-turn on a red. It's amazing they manage to have such great service with all the things going against it.

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

King is a success? Have you ridden one during rush hour lately? When they aren't getting held up on red lights, they are getting held up by other streetcars, north/south traffic blocking the intersection (Spadina, Bay, Yonge, Peter, Jarvis, Church), a horrible traffic signal at Sumach,  and cyclists that can't ride faster than 20km/h but have no where else to ride except in front of the streetcar.  The bike share stations at Yonge eb and Spadina eb block the right turn lane on King, so when traffic backs up on Yonge or Spadina, right turning traffic block the eb streetcars. Add to that all the people that can't actually complete a right turn from the right lane and take up part of the left lane blocking the ttc. Straight trucks get a pass on this, but Bob in his Honda CRV should go to driving school.

On top of it, they whole of it all is still very temporary. Stops get moved, the stop for St. Andrew station/University avenue is a bit of a walk, and stop platforms are in horrible shape from snow plows and disrepair. People get confused by the downtown express stops that nothing actually services right now. Super long stretches between some stops, too long. Nice that they had the guts to remove stops, but they went a little too far with that.

Sure, the streetcars move better through the core than they used to, but it isn't good.

I'm referring to when it was first implemented, where it was clearly a success. Of course, if you don't take care of it and don't enforce it, then obviously we're going to get what we have today. Its like not doing the oil changes on your car. Its entire existence now looks half-assed and easily removable should someone complain about it enough. Everything you're complaining about should have been sorted out if the city really, truly cared for it. It still has the potential, the city just needs to enforce it and refine it more. 

You must not ride a bike, because streetcar tracks are the one thing you stay the hell off of. And not because of the streetcar tracks themselves. 

Sumach is not within the pilot zone. 

You must not ride a bike, because streetcar tracks are the one thing you stay the hell off of. And not because of the streetcar tracks themselves. 

You'll have to explain to me why then. I know the tracks are slippery, and bicycle wheels can get caught in them. What I meant was some ride between the rails in front of the streetcars, most ride to the right of the right running rail (that would be the right side of the left lane) which is still in front of the streetcar. 

Even when they ride in the right lane, there is very little clearance between them and the streetcar, because of all the stuff they placed in the street from the little parkette patio things to the bike share stations. Not enough for the streetcar to pass the bicycle according to the 1m rule

Sumach is not within the pilot zone. 

Neither are all those other places I mentioned on the 509, 510, and 512 rows

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

You'll have to explain to me why then. I know the tracks are slippery, and bicycle wheels can get caught in them. What I meant was some ride between the rails in front of the streetcars, most ride to the right of the right running rail (that would be the right side of the left lane) which is still in front of the streetcar. 

Even when they ride in the right lane, there is very little clearance between them and the streetcar, because of all the stuff they placed in the street from the little parkette patio things to the bike share stations. Not enough for the streetcar to pass the bicycle according to the 1m rule

Exactly that, you don't want your wheels caught in the tracks, unless you can hop them or cut an aggressive enough angle. 

Yes, riding on the tracks is necessary at times to avoid permanent fixtures i.e. stops, parkettes and etc., but those are only present for a short distance. And even that is a stretch, because those fixtures still allow some space in the right lane for cyclists to go through, so I find it hard to believe people regularly ride the right side of the left lane when they have that space. Why would a cyclist want to ride on a bumpy surface vs. a smooth one? If you're riding in the right lane and have to avoid obstacles that require you to move into the left lane, then that requires situational awareness from both parties, with the emphasis on the streetcar op. They are not the vulnerable road user.

The whole riding in the right lane with little clearance is a weak point, and it comes back to what I said above. Those fixtures are only present for a short distance, and you shouldn't be trying to pass anyone on those stretches anyways. 

And regardless, this whole cyclist vs. streetcar argument is pointless, because the impact they have on streetcar running is negligible. Even more so when you compare it to the time you guys spend sitting at green lights waiting for the other streetcar to pass, wind to change direction, etc. etc. 

6 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Exactly that, you don't want your wheels caught in the tracks, unless you can hop them or cut an aggressive enough angle. 

So the reason is exactly to do with the streetcar tracks then.

Yes, riding on the tracks is necessary at times to avoid permanent fixtures i.e. stops, parkettes and etc., but those are only present for a short distance.

The bicycles and streetcars interfere with each other at each farside service stop.

And even that is a stretch, because those fixtures still allow some space in the right lane for cyclists to go through, so I find it hard to believe people regularly ride the right side of the left lane when they have that space.

Mainly in the left side of the right lane, but the streetcar cannot pass the cyclist a lot of times because of clearance issues and the 1m required by the hta. Also when cyclists are pasing cars in the right turn lane (the proper way to the left of them), they end up in the clearance of the streetcar.

Why would a cyclist want to ride on a bumpy surface vs. a smooth one? If you're riding in the right lane and have to avoid obstacles that require you to move into the left lane, then that requires situational awareness from both parties, with the emphasis on the streetcar op. They are not the vulnerable road user.

That's why the streetcar cannot safely pass a cyclist that is riding in the left side of the right lane, some cyclists tend to make unpredictable moves. The cyclist has the right to use all of the lane if they wish, the other vehicles on the road have to allow them 1m space when passing. The worst offenders for making sudden unpredictable moves are the food delivery ones on ebikes. The other bad offenders is anybody on a rental bike, or someone riding under the influence of a drug or drink.

The whole riding in the right lane with little clearance is a weak point, and it comes back to what I said above. Those fixtures are only present for a short distance, and you shouldn't be trying to pass anyone on those stretches anyways. 

Not short stretches when you include the parked taxis west of Bay. West of Simcoe, the street furniture goes for quite a distance. The street furniture is tall enough that it interferes with the handles on bicycles, so they have to ride closer to the left side of the right lane than they normally would, since they don't want to get themselves on the ground when their handlebar hits a planter box.

The streetcar takes up most of the left lane, so combined there isn't any room to have both existing together safely at the same spot in the road unless one is stopped.

And regardless, this whole cyclist vs. streetcar argument is pointless, because the impact they have on streetcar running is negligible. Even more so when you compare it to the time you guys spend sitting at green lights waiting for the other streetcar to pass, wind to change direction, etc. etc. 

Us guys? No sir, not me. I quit a long time ago. I couldn't handle the job, the lack of breaks, the stress of the schedule, dealing with people. I made a few friends and keep in contact with them. They even let me browse through their work documents sometimes when I'm over visiting them for a bbq. I go fanning with them once in a while. Let me just say the horns on some of those lflrvs are awesome, nothing like the dinky horns they put on the Orion 7s.

My biggest ambition as a kid was getting to drive a fishbowl, and I got that so I had to find new goals.  I left about a decade ago. What made me finally make up my mind was when I got hit in the back of the head with an egg thrown from a passing car while I was walking home in uniform from a long shift at 3am.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Someone was stabbed around 4pm today https://t.co/DH6Cdn2nTk

What we don't see if the big picture. This is not about the TTC, it just happens in the TTC. Like the person set on fire at Kipling. It's about the fact that we are ignoring mental illness, because we are concerned about their individual freedom.

You have to show intent to harm yourself or someone else to be committed, and sometimes it's too late. You can go around saying the craziest things but as long as you don't hurt anyone you don't have to be committed. It's your free will not to take your medication. 

We need to do more to help people who have mental illness and get them off the street.  Find them housing, get them treatment.  They hang out on the TTC because it's warm. I see mentally disturbed people in lots of places connected to the subway.  

We also need to look at how we can keep people's freedoms but at the same time get them help.  Often they don't want to go to shelters because they don't want their stuff stolen or can't bringn their dog, etc.

Also drug addiction is another problem. The government gives them money to buy food and instead they buy drugs.  As the cost of living gets higher this is going to get worse.

The city, the province and the Feds need to get together and find a solution before we become like Buffalo or Albany.  

40 minutes ago, Shaun said:

What we don't see if the big picture. This is not about the TTC, it just happens in the TTC. Like the person set on fire at Kipling. It's about the fact that we are ignoring mental illness, because we are concerned about their individual freedom.

You have to show intent to harm yourself or someone else to be committed, and sometimes it's too late. You can go around saying the craziest things but as long as you don't hurt anyone you don't have to be committed. It's your free will not to take your medication. 

We need to do more to help people who have mental illness and get them off the street.  Find them housing, get them treatment.  They hang out on the TTC because it's warm. I see mentally disturbed people in lots of places connected to the subway.  

We also need to look at how we can keep people's freedoms but at the same time get them help.  Often they don't want to go to shelters because they don't want their stuff stolen or can't bringn their dog, etc.

Also drug addiction is another problem. The government gives them money to buy food and instead they buy drugs.  As the cost of living gets higher this is going to get worse.

The city, the province and the Feds need to get together and find a solution before we become like Buffalo or Albany.  

I just feel like Toronto is turning into "SODOM AND GOMORRAH"

with no reliable leadership, solutions on many of those problems lingering in the city. 

33 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

with no reliable leadership, solutions on many of those problems lingering in the city. 

And its not a problem that the city can tackle on its own. It needs all levels of government to get involved.

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

It already is sodom and gomorrah. Babylon.

It has reached the point of where dictator-type solutions are drastically needed, to be honest. Giving those drug-addicted and mentally ill vagrants the freedom to just roam around and act crazy is only making the problem worse each day. Institutionalize all of them, by force if needed, and drop the sledgehammer on those who engage in deviant-like behavior. 

Toronto needs someone like Rudy Giuliani to finally put an end to this out-of-control crime tsunami. 

1 hour ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

It has reached the point of where dictator-type solutions are drastically needed, to be honest. Giving those drug-addicted and mentally ill vagrants the freedom to just roam around and act crazy is only making the problem worse each day. Institutionalize all of them, by force if needed, and drop the sledgehammer on those who engage in deviant-like behavior.

Yeah, that'll show 'em. 

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

And its not a problem that the city can tackle on its own. It needs all levels of government to get involved.

Problem is our politicians are so useless and legitimately clueless as to what to do. They've offered 0 solutions, because they've not lived a day in the life of a typical rider and have been coddled for practically their whole lives.

If you listen to what they say, they repeat the same talking points: "we must work with other levels of government", "this is a mental health problem", etc. I mean obviously it doesnt take a PHd to figure those points out, what people want to know is WHAT STEPS are being taken to address the underlying issues. We dont need studies, consultations, and all this other garbage politicians keep peddling because they have no idea what to do.

Let's not even talk about Rick Leary who finally decided to come out of his closet and talk to media about these issues after 1+ year of these insane incidents. Did his wife (if he has one) nag him enough to come out and make a statement because he's too stupid to figure that out himself?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

It already is sodom and gomorrah. Babylon.

Toronto needs someone like Rudy Giuliani to finally put an end to this out-of-control crime tsunami. 

It's all fun and games until someone decides that you are someone with deviant-like behaviour and drops the sledgehammer on you. Perhaps all these deviants can accidentally fall out of fifth-storey windows, like happens in Russia, or simply get hanged like in Iran.

Invoking Rudy Giuliani as a hero is pretty pathetic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

It's all fun and games until someone decides that you are someone with deviant-like behaviour and drops the sledgehammer on you. Perhaps all these deviants can accidentally fall out of fifth-storey windows, like happens in Russia, or simply get hanged like in Iran.

Invoking Rudy Giuliani as a hero is pretty pathetic.

Drastic times often times call for drastic solutions. When the employees and normal riding public is in complete danger on transit because these vagrants are just out of control like feral savage beasts, it calls for a sledgehammer to be dropped in order to halt the madness and restore order, trust, and safety. 

1 minute ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Drastic times often times call for drastic solutions. When the employees and normal riding public is in complete danger on transit because these vagrants are just out of control like feral savage beasts, it calls for a sledgehammer to be dropped in order to halt the madness and restore order, trust, and safety. 

What are you imagining, that after the crime rate has been flattened the dictator you are proposing will willingly let go of their powers? When and where in history has this ever occurred?

It appears the daily attacks on passengers & TTC staff that have been publicized in the past week have finally flipped a switch on the authorities.

The Toronto police will be rolling out an increased presence across the TTC following a rash of violent, and sometimes random, incidents on the city’s transit system.

Police Chief Myron Demkiw announced the boost alongside Mayor John Tory, as well as TTC CEO Rick Leary, at a news conference Thursday afternoon.

“In recent weeks, we have been actively increasing our high-visibility patrols within the transit system. However, it is clear that more can be done to enhance the safety and security of transit users,” Demkiw said.

Toronto Police Chief Myron Demkiw provides an update on transit safety in the city on Thursday, Jan. 26, 2023.

The move will see 80 police officers deployed on the TTC network daily, which Demkiw says will focus on reducing victimization, preventing crimes of opportunity, and enhancing public safety.

https://www.cp24.com/news/dozens-of-police-officers-to-be-deployed-across-ttc-amid-wave-of-violence-1.6247425

• Thanks 1