buschic

TTC in the news

1 hour ago, Express Network said:

Could they see service cuts?

Well, yeah.

1 hour ago, Express Network said:

Could they see service cuts?

Given the certain situation. This is expected and would likely have an effect and next year's budget too. Everyone needs money and they can't just raise taxes when people lost their income, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut major services like the express network for the remaining year or two. 

• Like 1

TTC.ca offline tonight

TTC.ca will be offline tonight from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. for emergency maintenance by our hosting provider. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You know you're a foamer if you try to log in at 3:01 AM to see if the service reductions and new service summary are up! :rolleyes:

That being said, in theory, a lot of routes could use reduced running times because traffic is so light. That would be a really big job on the part of service planning.

I guess we'll see.

• Haha 3

TTC and GO staff pay tribute to healthcare workers with hospital row parade tonight

April 30, 2020

Dozens of frontline TTC and GO Transit employees in decorated vehicles will parade down hospital row tonight in support of healthcare workers across the Greater Toronto Area. The initiative was developed at the grassroots by employees from the two transit agencies who wanted to express their gratitude to healthcare workers. Employees enlisted their families to create signs and posters for the parade.

The parade begins around 7:15 p.m. at Queen's Park Cir. and heads south on University Ave. to Edward St. where it will u-turn and travel north to Gerrard St. Toronto Police Services will be supporting and managing movement.

Among the vehicles participating are 14 TTC and six GO buses, Wheel-Trans vehicles, TTC and GO special constable units and a TTC Command Vehicle.

What:   Parade to support healthcare workers
Date:    TONIGHT - Thurs., April 30, 2020
Time:    7:15 p.m.
Location: Staging at Queen's Park Cir. heading south on University Ave. to Edward St.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/05/11/a-quarter-of-ex-transit-riders-wont-take-the-ttc-again-without-covid-19-vaccine-study-says.html

A quarter of ex-transit riders won’t take the TTC again without COVID-19 vaccine, study says

Hence the ridership won't recover nor will all the layoff operators be hired back if there's no vaccine.

10 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Hence the ridership won't recover nor will all the layoff operators be hired back if there's no vaccine.

Thinking about the situation a bit further and from the opposite direction, did the TTC consider giving people at or near retirement an incentive package to go?  This would be a better way of obtaining a permanent staffing reduction since it wouldn't hit people who have whole careers in front of them still and would avoid the situation of laying off junior operators and then having to try to recall them piecemeal each time a senior one retires and leaves as normal attrition and turnover takes place.

• Like 1

Just opinion, even with those 25% decide not to take the ttc, when people come back to work, if the city wants to keep social distancing it will need more busses, more street cars, more subway cars, MORE OPERATORS, to keep the health and safety guidelines in effect.

In UK the minister of transportation said that if we bring back the transit service level back ,and wexwant to keep heath and safety guidelines in effect only 15% of the riders will be allowed to use the transit service, which I agree

One more thing, any plan to keep everyone on the transit to be safe won't be perfect, which will be very stressful and concerning for some operators,

To be honest with you guys it's a big challenge for everyone 

• Like 1

I wonder if all this will push the TTC back to ordering diesels when the time comes. I was reading about some agencies in that Europe cancelled or were reconsidering their E-bus orders. 

12 minutes ago, Shankl said:

Just opinion, even with those 25% decide not to take the ttc, when people come back to work, if the city wants to keep social distancing it will need more busses, more street cars, more subway cars, MORE OPERATORS, to keep the health and safety guidelines in effect.

In UK the minister of transportation said that if we bring back the transit service level back ,and wexwant to keep heath and safety guidelines in effect only 15% of the riders will be allowed to use the transit service, which I agree

One more thing, any plan to keep everyone on the transit to be safe won't be perfect, which will be very stressful and concerning for some operators,

To be honest with you guys it's a big challenge for everyone 

The problem with this notion is that it takes a long time to get a new order of vehicles built. IIRC a reasonable time frame for getting a new bus order online, from conception to entry into service, should be around a year, if we go by the timeframes presented on our wiki for various orders. And that doesn't account for any difficulties that manufacturers may have run into over the last few months. I haven't seen any articles on this front so I can't know for sure, but I assume business is not booming for transit manufacturers.

What do you do in the mean time? And what will we do in a few years' time when these hundreds and hundreds of overflow vehicles are no longer required?

To say nothing of infrastructure limitations. Building a garage takes a fairly significant amount of time. And the TTC is not known for their long headways - just how frequently will the Queen line have to run, if they want to entertain this idea? Are there going to be kilometre long streetcar lines down Queen Street while a single vehicle lays over inside Neville loop?

I think that social distancing is going to go out the window once the economy gets restarted.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Thinking about the situation a bit further and from the opposite direction, did the TTC consider giving people at or near retirement an incentive package to go?  This would be a better way of obtaining a permanent staffing reduction since it wouldn't hit people who have whole careers in front of them still and would avoid the situation of laying off junior operators and then having to try to recall them piecemeal each time a senior one retires and leaves as normal attrition and turnover takes place.

Not yet, though I’m certain that’s in the toolbox.

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

The problem with this notion is that it takes a long time to get a new order of vehicles built. IIRC a reasonable time frame for getting a new bus order online, from conception to entry into service, should be around a year, if we go by the timeframes presented on our wiki for various orders. And that doesn't account for any difficulties that manufacturers may have run into over the last few months. I haven't seen any articles on this front so I can't know for sure, but I assume business is not booming for transit manufacturers.

What do you do in the mean time? And what will we do in a few years' time when these hundreds and hundreds of overflow vehicles are no longer required?

To say nothing of infrastructure limitations. Building a garage takes a fairly significant amount of time. And the TTC is not known for their long headways - just how frequently will the Queen line have to run, if they want to entertain this idea? Are there going to be kilometre long streetcar lines down Queen Street while a single vehicle lays over inside Neville loop?

I think that social distancing is going to go out the window once the economy gets restarted.

Yea that's true

On 5/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, PCC Guy said:

Just to give it into detail:

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/toronto-will-have-to-close-subway-lines-fire-hundreds-of-cops-and-shutter-libraries-without-help-from-ottawa-queen-s-park-tory-1.4950878

Toronto is facing a best-case scenario shortfall of $1.5 billion in lost revenue this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The city would have to raise property taxes by an estimated 47 per cent in order to make up that shortfall, Tory said, adding that such a hike would be “unacceptable.”

In Canada, municipalities fall under provincial jurisdiction. Ontario law prohibits municipalities from running operational deficits, meaning the city cannot simply borrow money to make up for shortfalls in its budget.

Without help from other levels of government or a massive property tax hike, the only remaining option would be drastic cuts to city services.

Among the cuts, more than half-a-billion dollars would be slashed from the TTC’s budget. That would mean service on lines 1 and 2 would be cut in half, while Line 3 (Scarborough) and Line 4 (Sheppard) would be completely shut down.

Service on the city’s busiest streetcar and bus routes would operate only every 10-20 minutes and the city would provide 4 million fewer Wheel-Trans trips.  

Millions would also be slashed from the police force, fire service and shelters. Recreation programs, libraries and city-owned long-term care homes would also be cut.

In all, Tory said, some 19,000 city employees would lose their jobs.

The city would also be forced to cancel youth hubs that were set to open in September in order to address the roots of gun violence in the city.

The mayor has been pleading with Ottawa and Queen’s Park for weeks to announce some sort of relief for Canada’s hard-hit municipalities.

So far, his pleas have mostly been greeted with silence.

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Not really "news" news and not a TTC question so don't know where else to put this.

Danforth garage could potentially be destroyed with its space to be use as an affordable home project.

Scroll down the page to near the middle.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/05/housing-now-toronto-phase-2-new-locations/

I thought the city decided to use the land (or at least part of it) for the new Police Division building to consolidate the current 54 and 55 Divisions in one building.

EDIT: Disregard, I should have known better. BlogTO's wording is terrible. It made it seem like the entire piece of land was to be used for for affordable housing. A quick google search helped me find the Danforth Garage Master Plan from last year that shows a whole transformation of the land to include TTC offices, the TPS Divison, a new library, community space and mixed use buildings (likely where the affordable housing would go). The garage is also part of the Heritage registrar so any new developments will have to incorporate it in some way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

If I'm not mistaken, he used to be a station manager for a few stops in the Tube network. 

11 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Quick guys, what was the unit number

12 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

If I'm not mistaken, he used to be a station manager for a few stops in the Tube network. 

Quick guys, what was the unit number

Started as a Ticket taker.

• Like 1