Jump to content
buschic

TTC in the news

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Genius101 said:

The Queensway garage is old and not a safe working environment. Those employees made the right move by walking off the job. 

What's that have to do with driving a bus? bus drivers don't work inside the building. I rather hear from someone who knows Queensway well enough to comment on the structure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 7:27 PM, Someguy3071 said:

No, what he's saying is that us operators are just dumb bus drivers and that we're unable to operate a bus safely and keep track of how many passengers are on the bus. Nevermind that by keeping track of passengers in the bus were trying to keep passengers and ourselves safe. 

I've been doing this job for 15 years, I've been a trainer, I've been a Union Rep representing my co-workers and I've never had an incident involving myself.  I'll give everyone a piece of advice, you are a bus driver, your job is to drive the bus.  You are not an enforcer in any way, we as drivers, have tools at our disposal for enforcement.  As a Union Rep, I can ensure you that 9 out of 10 drivers who end up getting themselves into a bad situation are those who think that it's their job to enforce rules.  We do have rules that we need  adhere to, and by all means, follow them to the best of your ability, but it is never, ever, ever worth it to start pushing any level of authority because bad things can happen and very quickly.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

What's that have to do with driving a bus? bus drivers don't work inside the building. I rather hear from someone who knows Queensway well enough to comment on the structure.

 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the facility itself from a health and safety point of view.

The idea that shop staff would put up with unsafe working conditions up to now insults their intelligence.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard on CP24 it over 3 dozen who walked off the job at Queensway

 

edit: 5 more at Wilson division also walked off the job 

Edited by John Oke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Refusal of unsafe work is a specific and regulated action under the OSHA. I presume that these concerns were bought up to supervisors before actually refusing the work.

The next step was, as per OHSA, investigation by the Ministry of Labour, who found the refusal to not be warranted.

Hopefully the system is working as it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 9924 said:

I've been doing this job for 15 years, I've been a trainer, I've been a Union Rep representing my co-workers and I've never had an incident involving myself.  I'll give everyone a piece of advice, you are a bus driver, your job is to drive the bus.  You are not an enforcer in any way, we as drivers, have tools at our disposal for enforcement.  As a Union Rep, I can ensure you that 9 out of 10 drivers who end up getting themselves into a bad situation are those who think that it's their job to enforce rules.  We do have rules that we need  adhere to, and by all means, follow them to the best of your ability, but it is never, ever, ever worth it to start pushing any level of authority because bad things can happen and very quickly.

 

My job is to drive a bus safely. Management's job is to provide me and other operators with a safe work conditions. You feel comfortable driving with a large passenger load, go right ahead. Do what you feel is safe for you. Those of us who don't feel safe with a large passenger load will continue limiting amount of people onboard as we have been for the past few weeks. 

Seems management changed their tune and decided to limit the amount of people on buses by blocking off seats.  

On 4/15/2020 at 11:32 PM, Genius101 said:

The Queensway garage is old and not a safe working environment. Those employees made the right move by walking off the job. 

Doesn't take a genius to see that you don't know what you're talking about. Perhaps name change is in order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

My job is to drive a bus safely. Management's job is to provide me and other operators with a safe work conditions. You feel comfortable driving with a large passenger load, go right ahead. Do what you feel is safe for you. Those of us who don't feel safe with a large passenger load will continue limiting amount of people onboard as we have been for the past few weeks. 

Seems management changed their tune and decided to limit the amount of people on buses by blocking off seats.  

I know what your job is and I know what management's job is. I've been doing your job for a long time. I've seen the outcome when driver's push the limits of enforcement and its not pretty.  The environment we're working in right now, with restricted seating, has a potential to cause a lot of problems for us.  Not telling you what to do, just giving you advice as a fellow driver to exercise extreme caution in the weeks ahead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 9924 said:

I know what your job is and I know what management's job is. I've been doing your job for a long time. I've seen the outcome when driver's push the limits of enforcement and its not pretty.  The environment we're working in right now, with restricted seating, has a potential to cause a lot of problems for us.  Not telling you what to do, just giving you advice as a fellow driver to exercise extreme caution in the weeks ahead.

Always exercise caution, even during normal times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 12:46 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

What's that have to do with driving a bus? bus drivers don't work inside the building. I rather hear from someone who knows Queensway well enough to comment on the structure.

 

See I told you guys that Queensway garage is an unsafe work facility. As per CP24 four maintenance workers have tested positive for covid-19 and 8 other employees refuse to show up to work without the safety precautions taken. They need to shut down that division immediately. 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Genius101 said:

See I told you guys that Queensway garage is an unsafe work facility. As per CP24 four maintenance workers have tested positive for covid-19 and 8 other employees to show up to work without the safety precautions taken. They need to shut down that division immediately. 

What exactly would shutting this garage down accomplish? If infected people went to the garage and spread the illness to the others, how would removing that garage from the equation prevent those workers from spreading the virus at another garage?

What an absurd notion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Genius101 said:

See I told you guys that Queensway garage is an unsafe work facility. As per CP24 four maintenance workers have tested positive for covid-19 and 8 other employees to show up to work without the safety precautions taken. They need to shut down that division immediately. 

Same can be said about you posting!

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

What exactly would shutting this garage down accomplish? If infected people went to the garage and spread the illness to the others, how would removing that garage from the equation prevent those workers from spreading the virus at another garage?

What an absurd notion.

Your interpretation is wrong. When I say shut down I don't mean closing the division permanently, although a new garage in the area would be nice. They just need to do thorough cleaning and provide personal protection equipment to ensure the health and well being of the maintenance staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Genius101 said:

See I told you guys that Queensway garage is an unsafe work facility. As per CP24 four maintenance workers have tested positive for covid-19 and 8 other employees refuse to show up to work without the safety precautions taken. They need to shut down that division immediately. 

You’re a fool.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard on the radio the dispatch was mentioning that the driver shields are now mandatory? One operator was apparently complaining because of glare.

Can anyone confirm if that is true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shankl said:

What is the collective bargaining agreement??

 

A collective bargaining agreement is the contract between the employer, in this case the TTC, and a group of workers represented by a union, in this case ATU 113.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Genius101 said:

Shutting down Queensway would mean a shut down in operations which means that bus routes that operate out of there are screwed, the buses would just be sitting there at the division with no daily maintenance checks being done on them, and how do you expect for the other divisions to pick up all of Queensway's routes? It's just a disaster waiting to happen if they decide to shut down the division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 9:26 PM, Genius101 said:

You left out the part where the employees in question infected each other through carpooling to work in the first place.
But of course you know better than I, right?

The entire day shift is in isolation, personnel from Duncan were parachuted in after disinfection.

Time to prove your username. Explain to me how that has anything to do with the physical infrastructure itself? Otherwise, I refer you once again to my statement made April 19th.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

You left out the part where the employees infected each other through carpooling to work in the first place.

Presumably those infections must have been weeks ago then - carpooling has been illegal for over a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Presumably those infections must have been weeks ago then 

If that helps you sleep better at night, sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

If that helps you sleep better at night, sure.

How would management not know at the time? What do they do ... one get's out a block or two early and walks? How would they have avoid fines ... police have been clearly targeting two people of the same gender in cars together?

My gosh ... if one broke the law, and lead to Covid spreading - what's the personal liablility? Could TTC seem compensation for shutting down a garage and the extra overtime costs? Would bereaved spouses sue personally for damage? I bet one's insurance wouldn't cover that ... some interesting implications ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, John Oke said:

Take it to the PM’s. I’ve had enough popcorn 

You call it drama. I call it my family’s health and safety.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...