TTC in the news

buschic

So with GO protocol during service suspensions, it's pretty much decided on the fly which stations are included in the protocol, and can change (not too customer friendly). So you need to have a smartphone to catch the updates, or be at a subway station to read the station's screens for the service alerts which hopefully would say. Don't be caught riding past the designated stations or you will be considered to not have valid proof of payment.

As the others have said, the proper procedure is to have tapped on the TTC wherever, and board the GO Train without tapping. If you haven't tapped yet as you were going to enter the subway station from the street, just tap the reader at the fare line, turn around and head to the adjoining GO station and don't tap there. The fare inspector checking you will see a TTC tap and as long as you're riding within the designated stations (again, arbitrarily decided on the fly), you're good. This procedure is also not posted anywhere or communicated to the public, and the only way I learned of this recently was scouring Twitter...

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'd be really surprised if GO starts running Union to Kipling buses. Have they talked about this? I'd have thought that some services that end now at Square One, would be extended to the subway at Kipling.

Over the years there has been talk that GO buses will service Kipling 4 bus bays with one or more routes going to/from Union to it. Buses will using Kipling Ave to get to/from Union. As to what routes will service Kipling, I don't know since I don't follow that and leave it up to others who do. I do know that a new route will service Kipling-Union, but that's it.

13 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

So with GO protocol during service suspensions, it's pretty much decided on the fly which stations are included in the protocol, and can change (not too customer friendly). So you need to have a smartphone to catch the updates, or be at a subway station to read the station's screens for the service alerts which hopefully would say. Don't be caught riding past the designated stations or you will be considered to not have valid proof of payment.

As the others have said, the proper procedure is to have tapped on the TTC wherever, and board the GO Train without tapping. If you haven't tapped yet as you were going to enter the subway station from the street, just tap the reader at the fare line, turn around and head to the adjoining GO station and don't tap there. The fare inspector checking you will see a TTC tap and as long as you're riding within the designated stations (again, arbitrarily decided on the fly), you're good. This procedure is also not posted anywhere or communicated to the public, and the only way I learned of this recently was scouring Twitter...

Actaully the TTC does say when GO protocol is in effect. People just need to pay attention.  And yes some people don't have smartphones, but 95% of people do have phones, and they should use a smartphone for stuff like this, not to check facebook,  insta, snapchat every 45 seconds.  That's not where your going to find anything out. 

15 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'd be really surprised if GO starts running Union to Kipling buses. Have they talked about this? I'd have thought that some services that end now at Square One, would be extended to the subway at Kipling.

The 21, 25 and 29 I believe are what routes I’ve heard could be extended.  That was mentioned in the GO Transit thread a long while back.

If this is indeed the case, then yeah, there would be GO Service all day to Kipling on the 21.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

The 21, 25 and 29 I believe are what routes I’ve heard could be extended.  That was mentioned in the GO Transit thread a long while back.

If this is indeed the case, then yeah, there would be GO Service all day to Kipling on the 21.

I'd heard similar ... but I assumed (wrongly perhaps) that it would be in lieu of (or perhaps in addition to) service to Union. It never crossed my mind that there'd be any significant Union to Kipling bus service - at least for reverse peak, shoulder-peak, or mid-day. I can see perhaps more so late at night.

I guess we'll see!

1 hour ago, BusDude said:

Actaully the TTC does say when GO protocol is in effect. People just need to pay attention.  And yes some people don't have smartphones, but 95% of people do have phones, and they should use a smartphone for stuff like this, not to check facebook,  insta, snapchat every 45 seconds.  That's not where your going to find anything out. 

I did state the TTC does indeed say when GO protocol is in effect. However in my experience it is rarely broadcast over the PA- especially in enough detail, which is what I assume you are referring to. 

In other news, apparently there have been two instances where dewirements have led to a trolley shoe being flung into a seniors home dining room adjacent to Roncy.

A TTC streetcar catapulted a metal part through a seniors-home window in January. It wasn’t the first time

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

I'd heard similar ... but I assumed (wrongly perhaps) that it would be in lieu of (or perhaps in addition to) service to Union. It never crossed my mind that there'd be any significant Union to Kipling bus service - at least for reverse peak, shoulder-peak, or mid-day. I can see perhaps more so late at night.

I guess we'll see!

But wouldn't that take potential subway revenue away from the TTC? Why would they do that? Just like the GO express service from finch to Newmarket. It was scrapped because of VIVA.  It use to take 60min to Newmarket on the GO bus instead of 2 hours with VIVA, not to mention the 99 bus. 

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

But wouldn't that take potential subway revenue away from the TTC? Why would they do that? Just like the GO express service from finch to Newmarket. It was scrapped because of VIVA.  It use to take 60min to Newmarket on the GO bus instead of 2 hours with VIVA, not to mention the 99 bus. 

Doesn't that problem already exist with the Milton line trains?

On 2/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, Shaun said:

It would put an extremely slight dent into it, but not significant amount.

Metrolinx should really be expanding service to various mobility hubs within Toronto (ie: Renforth, Yorkdale, STC, etc..) irrespective of if the TTC already operates service there, especially since the TTC has proven to incapable of operating adequate service on various routes within the city. Not only would in provide another alternative, but it could cut the commute time down for many commuters.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:28 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

On 2/21/2020 at 2:53 PM, nfitz said:

I guess we'll see!

That was mentioned when the whistleblower leaked info about the massive cuts which turned out not to be true. I only heard about the 25 and 29 going there. I do wonder if that was to happen that they would be branched off like the 21.

On 2/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, Shaun said:

It really doesn't matter how much of a dent they put in TTC's revenue. Metrolinx or any provincial or federal "railway companies" have the rights to operate within Toronto without interference of the city/TTC according to the City of Toronto Act. Of course this act is created by Queen's Park and Ford has the power to change it to whatever he likes. So Metrolinx want to expand service has nothing to do with the city/TTC as they can legislate to take over the subway or disband the TTC if they really want.

The VIVA takeover of that GO bus is seem as a downgrade of service. 

6 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Apparently the turn from King to Sumach is still causing noise issues... and noise mitigation mods are only in place on 10 cars

https://www.cp24.com/news/noise-from-504a-cherry-streetcar-has-become-unbearable-for-some-corktown-residents-wong-tam-1.4826624

As I frequently change there from the 504A to the 504B, I can't say I've particularly noticed noise, when it turns in either direction.

Seems a lot of fuss about nothing.

A bigger issue to me, is why isn't there a northbound stop at on Sumach at King? They blame the road design and safety ... but looks a lot safer to me than many other stops (being at the back doors of the 506 westbound at Carlaw comes to mind, with a big huge concrete wall between you and the sidewalk).

Re:  Nfitz comment.  "Seems a lot of fuss about nothing."  Regarding Streetcars turning at King and Sumach.  Obviously you don't live in houses or high rises nearby.  Currently a hot topic at TTC board meetings.

Try getting the facts before making a frivolous, unsympathetic comment!

4 minutes ago, Tramguy said:
Re:  Nfitz comment.  "Seems a lot of fuss about nothing."  Regarding Streetcars turning at King and Sumach.  Obviously you don't live in houses or high rises nearby.  Currently a hot topic at TTC board meetings.

Try getting the facts before making a frivolous, unsympathetic comment!

Since I posted, I've actually travelled down to Cherry Loop a couple of times. And heard nothing.

Frankly, I hear more noise near my house on upper Gerrard with the streetcars starting from stop on the hill.

I'm not sure why someone in Mississauga is so concerned about this - or uses such bizarre large fonts and colours.

I'm even more convinced that this is whining about nothing. Perhaps those that don't like the noise should shut up or move.

• Like 4

Article says "“some time ago” the transit agency “stopped performing” a maintenance program each car is supposed to undergo once they’ve been in service for two years"

Hang on ... does anyone blame them? Any car that old has to go back to Bombardier for them to rebuild them! :)

On 3/5/2020 at 12:46 PM, nfitz said:

Since I posted, I've actually travelled down to Cherry Loop a couple of times. And heard nothing.

Frankly, I hear more noise near my house on upper Gerrard with the streetcars starting from stop on the hill.

I'm not sure why someone in Mississauga is so concerned about this - or uses such bizarre large fonts and colours.

I'm even more convinced that this is whining about nothing. Perhaps those that don't like the noise should shut up or move.

Doesn't matter where I live.  I have empathy for people not being able to sleep at night.    Too bad empathy lacking in your persona!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tramguy said:

Doesn't matter where I live.  I have empathy for people not being able to sleep at night.    Too bad empathy lacking in your persona!

From a sound that can't even be heard on the streetcar, or standing at the corner?

I have a lot of empathy for people who have issues - mental health issues abound, and should be taken seriously.

4 hours ago, Tramguy said:

I would suggest you should spend sometime in these locations where these whiners are complaining about and listen to the cars as they turn. I may know one of those whiners as I have heard them at meetings that the public doesn't have access too and eyes roll when they whine.

In fact, I have spent time at various locations many times just to listen for the squeal as well video cars turning and they are up on my youtube site. Even the old fleet is there doing the turns as well and listen to the different between the 2 fleet.

Bombardier claim from day one the new fleet wouldn't squeal, yet on the first night of testing at the Ex loop, 4400 squeal coming out of Hillcrest yard. Yes the new fleet squeal from time to time, but not even close to what the old fleet did. Not every car squeals as well locations. 

These whiners want the countryside sound at night which is a joke as this is a city that runs 7/24. You want countryside sound at night, move out of the city and find it.

8 hours ago, drum118 said:

Bombardier claim from day one the new fleet wouldn't squeal,....

Where the hell do you keep making this stuff up from?

Bombardier has never claimed that. Hell, doing so would open them up to lawsuits. What they claimed, and what the TTC echoed, was that the cars wouldn't be as loud as the old cars, and gave off a huge list of reasons why that would be the case.

Dan