Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

buschic

TTC in the news

ATC on the TTC's Line 1 Yonge-University is now activated between Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station and St Patrick station. Plus, the signal upgrades done on Line 1 over the weekend was completed ahead of schedule so the portion of Line 1 that was closed between St Clair West and Union was reopened yesterday at noon.

#WeTheNorthbound: TTC service information for Raptors Game 5

June 10, 2019

As the city gears up for a historic Toronto Raptors Game 5 tonight, the TTC is prepared to get fans safely to and from the downtown core. 

To ensure everyone enjoys their evening, the TTC will have additional service available:

-       Subway service will be extended. The last trains will head northbound from Union Station on both the Yonge and University sides of Line 1 at 2:25 a.m. with connections available to Line 2 at Bloor-Yonge and St George stations, and to Line 4 at Sheppard-Yonge Station.

-       Additional subway trains and buses have been scheduled in the downtown core before and after the game with extras on standby to ensure service runs smoothly.

-       Extra TTC staff will be situated throughout the subway system and around downtown to help direct customers, answer questions and manage crowding.

There will also be several diversions and short turns in place to accommodate the increased volume of traffic expected this evening.

There will be no streetcar or bus service east and west between Bathurst St. and Church St. and north and south between College St. and Lake Shore Blvd. The following routes will start short turning at or near those intersections at the end of the third quarter of tonight's game:

-       6 Bay
-       72 Pape
-       121 Fort York-Esplanade
-       320 Yonge
-       501 Queen
-       504 King
-       505 Dundas

Please check https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FTTCxRaps&data=02%7C01%7C%7C72ca04d3a07345eb6b3c08d6ede8b67b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636957981074719773&sdata=zT8l1LDoWSp%2FNV7wcRCRQyFIuqNXnfQYKBYoKJakVZ4%3D&reserved=0 for more detailed diversion information.

Anyone travelling into or out of the downtown core this evening is strongly encouraged to use the TTC. Customers should follow @TTCNotices on Twitter for the most up-to-date service information.

The TTC wishes all Toronto Raptors fans a safe and fun game-watching experience tonight and reminds everyone to party responsibly. Let's Go Raptors!!

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

If the fire surpression system worked, why are there flames still coming out of the back of the bus when Toronto Fire arrived.

Because there is more than just what's in the engine compartment that can catch on fire?

Dan

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shaun said:

If the fire surpression system worked, why are there flames still coming out of the back of the bus when Toronto Fire arrived.

Check the other threads. Imma not repeating myself.

TTC service information for Toronto Raptors Parade tomorrow

June 16, 2019

The TTC is advising customers travelling in or around the downtown core tomorrow to leave themselves extra travel time, as many downtown bus and streetcar routes will divert to accommodate the parade and events celebrating the Toronto Raptors. 

The TTC is adding additional resources to accommodate commuters and those participating in the parade, including:

-       A large volume of extra staff situated throughout the subway system and around downtown to help direct customers, answer questions, asses service and manage crowding.

-       More frequent subway service. 

-       More frequent streetcar and bus service in the downtown core 

The TTC will also be participating in the parade. A vintage General Motors bus, wrapped specially for the occasion, will transport dignitaries along the route during the event.

Several routes will be on diversion and/or modified service to accommodate the significantly increased volume of traffic expected in and around downtown, including:

-       5 Avenue Rd
-       6 Bay
-       29 Dufferin
-       72 Pape
-       121 Fort York-Esplanade
-       501 Queen
-       504 King
-       505 Dundas
-       509 Harbourfront
-       510 Spadina
-       511 Bathurst

Please note that the 510 Spadina will not be available at Union Station after 9 a.m. Anyone travelling in that area should use the 509 Harbourfront instead to connect with the 510 at Spadina Ave. and Queens Quay (Spadina Loop). Some of the diversions will be in place as early as 6 a.m. tomorrow and may continue into the evening rush hour. Please check ttc.ca for more detailed diversion routing information.

Toronto is a big city and although a great deal of advance planning is occurring, diversions and service may change as conditions deem necessary. Please continue to be patient and respectful of your fellow commuters and check @TTCnotices regularly for the most up-to-date service information.

Also, the TTC is reminding customers that service on Line 1 between Eglinton and Bloor Yonge will end at 11 p.m. tomorrow night for ATC signal upgrades. Shuttle bus service will be provided and the University side of Line 1 will operate as usual. 

The TTC wishes the entire City of Toronto and Greater Toronto Area a fun and celebratory day at the parade and reminds everyone to travel safely. 

• Like 1

I wonder which is going to happen first, the legal fights arising from the subway extension all getting settled, or that artwork where you're supposed to be able to type in messages gets turned on?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I wonder which is going to happen first, the legal fights arising from the subway extension all getting settled, or that artwork where you're supposed to be able to type in messages gets turned on?

If the neon light feature in Yorkdale is any indication.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

They had the right idea in the 50s and 60s until this arty farty trip came to town.

When we rode in the world's longest public toilet?

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

If the neon light feature in Yorkdale is any indication.....

Yeah, I was thinking about that when I made my post because it was supposed to be brought back and updated with LEDs (Famous art installation coming back to Yorkdale station) but several years later, it still hasn't come back and there's been no word of any progress or anything happening with it.  The reverse is true and there's been no word of the project being cancelled either so who knows?

Whatever's left of the original installation is probably languishing dead-in-place just like the artwork on the first leg of the escalators in the Scott library a couple stops up the line at York.  That thing was long dead by the time I was a student there and given how long ago that was, I'm not sure which of the two artworks were let go first.

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

Dan

Yup. New yorkers have no problem riding in a sewer. Subways are to get to where you're going not to stare at the walls. Wanna see art go to the AGO.

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

Dan

You’re taking a break from the “it doesn’t matter how awful the bus is, people will ride it anyways” routine or you don’t think it’s applicable to subway stations?

If you think the TTC subway is a public toilet, you should take a walk through the City Hall station on the Broad Street Subway in Philadelphia.

Montreal or Moscow is where you need to go for public art in the subway.  Toronto is too cheap and too incompetent to pull that off well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

You’re taking a break from the “it doesn’t matter how awful the bus is, people will ride it anyways” routine or you don’t think it’s applicable to subway stations?

I'm repeating a common refrain around these parts and elsewhere about the construction and finish of the subway stations on the older parts of the system.

Frankly I couldn't give two fucks about it. But a lot of other people seem to get their knickers in a knot.

Also: if that's really your takeaway from my comments in the HSR thread, I suspect that your comprehension abilities are not as strong as you think.

Dan

16 hours ago, smallspy said:

I'm repeating a common refrain around these parts and elsewhere about the construction and finish of the subway stations on the older parts of the system.

It's an age old complaint that probably dates all the way back to 1954.  The oldest mention on record about the comparison to bathrooms that I've encountered was in this clip the CBC got out from 1966 a few years ago for the 50th anniversary of the Montreal Metro where Alan Yates paraphrases a newspaper columnist.  Personally, given how the Toronto subway was built on a tight budget, I think the TTC did a good job of pulling off some elegance in the simplicity while making the stations durable and easy to clean.  A lot of the fancier stuff they tried on the Spadina line hasn't stood up to time as well as what was built in Montreal, where being fully underground and sheltered from the elements is a big bonus, and hasn't been as durable as the earlier construction.

Frankly I couldn't give two fucks about it. But a lot of other people seem to get their knickers in a knot.

I wasn't keeping count but good to know what the official eff count score is.

Also: if that's really your takeaway from my comments in the HSR thread, I suspect that your comprehension abilities are not as strong as you think.

My comprehension abilities are just fine and I had several takeaways from your comments in that thread.  I also had several takeaways from your comments from several years ago (!) in the thread about the Kitchener LRT that came up while I was searching for information about something there.

23 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I wasn't keeping count but good to know what the official eff count score is.

My comprehension abilities are just fine and I had several takeaways from your comments in that thread.  I also had several takeaways from your comments from several years ago (!) in the thread about the Kitchener LRT that came up while I was searching for information about something there.

I feel blessed - nay, honoured - that someone feels the need to keep continual (and no doubt, live and ongoing) stats of my various posts over the years.

I'll strive to continue to give you something to look forward to.

Dan