TTC in the news

30 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

The "traps" which exist don't go far enough. It needs to be more of a trench that traps a vehicle on the rails before the driver gets 500m into the tunnel where extraction becomes an ordeal that takes multiple hours with special equipment. Or bollards. Those work fine in the Uk.

The traps are just deep potholes and are not very significant. I've seen them in person. Heck, a sportscar will be able to handle it, with a bit of grind on the front splitter. 

They need something deeper, something that goes down the the bottom of the rail, and a gap that is wider than it currently is. This way the car gets trapped sooner, rather than later.  

That could be done, or spikes could be laid out that are large enough to severely puncture tires. 

OR, something could like a physical object could be placed strategically to discourage making wrong turns, so perhaps a fence that extends beyond the crosswalk and ends just before the roadway, so that a potential right or left turn is too sharp and difficult to make. That, and a bollard could be placed between tracks that just allows the width of the streetcar to pass. 

But of course, as Dan said, you can't stop the 1% of people that go full idiot mode. But you can try!

image.thumb.png.8dc9206b6e6b9ec364a4242afb304013.png

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like some kind of fu*ked up competition? You’ve already won with your morbid eagerness.

Can we give that bullshit trope of "downtowners versus suburbanites" a rest already?   Transit is needed everywhere in this city. Dollars to pay for it, however, are scarce. The fact of the

Since I, too, have stood at the corner of Sumach and King and heard pretty much nothing as Flexities took the curves in both directions, I too am skeptical of just how much squealing there is. I assum

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

The "traps" which exist don't go far enough. It needs to be more of a trench that traps a vehicle on the rails before the driver gets 500m into the tunnel where extraction becomes an ordeal that takes multiple hours with special equipment. Or bollards. Those work fine in the Uk.

So you're saying that a three foot long section of exposed rail, with a one foot long section of encased rail, followed by the exposed rail isn't enough?

Because that's what's there at the end of the ramp right now. And what a driver has to go through AFTER all of the other obstacles that have been put in their way

Again, you can make the best mousetrap that you want, and there will be a mouse to defeat it.

Dan

49 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

The traps are just deep potholes and are not very significant. I've seen them in person. Heck, a sportscar will be able to handle it, with a bit of grind on the front splitter. 

They need something deeper, something that goes down the the bottom of the rail, and a gap that is wider than it currently is. This way the car gets trapped sooner, rather than later.  

That could be done, or spikes could be laid out that are large enough to severely puncture tires. 

OR, something could like a physical object could be placed strategically to discourage making wrong turns, so perhaps a fence that extends beyond the crosswalk and ends just before the roadway, so that a potential right or left turn is too sharp and difficult to make. That, and a bollard could be placed between tracks that just allows the width of the streetcar to pass. 

But of course, as Dan said, you can't stop the 1% of people that go full idiot mode. But you can try!

image.thumb.png.8dc9206b6e6b9ec364a4242afb304013.png

That is what I mean. Something much deeper. Call it a pit if you want. Those bumps wouldn't stop anyone. Not gonna get my hopes up seeing how track people seem to dislike having open track and got the Queensway filled in and with other departments wanting nothing to do with visually distinguishing grass beds.

Not wanting anything that would be too extreme strikes me as one of those "TTC culture" things like what people have been posting about the games operators are playing on the Long Branch bus. There's no will to rock the boat so nothing of any effect will get done.

Bollards would work even better though but I was suggesting a pit in case bollards are too advanced of a technology or too maintenance intensive to consider.

19 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

That is what I mean. Something much deeper. Call it a pit if you want. Those bumps wouldn't stop anyone. Not gonna get my hopes up seeing how track people seem to dislike having open track and got the Queensway filled in and with other departments wanting nothing to do with visually distinguishing grass beds.

There is a pit at the bottom of the ramp. Still doesn't stop 100% of the drivers.

Can I remind everyone about the incident where a wayward driver ended up on the platform at Spadina Station? Not only did they have to drive a very, very long way along the exposed rail, but they had to make it past a switch to get there. And that was after passing all of the signs and the pit at the bottom of the ramp.

Dan

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, smallspy said:

There is a pit at the bottom of the ramp. Still doesn't stop 100% of the drivers.

Can I remind everyone about the incident where a wayward driver ended up on the platform at Spadina Station? Not only did they have to drive a very, very long way along the exposed rail, but they had to make it past a switch to get there. And that was after passing all of the signs and the pit at the bottom of the ramp.

Dan

Somebody also made it to the Union station platform which is many times the distance than to the Spadina station platform. How they made it that far over the exposed rail is beyond me.

2 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Gee-freaking-gee.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/15/ttc-suspends-presto-fare-gate-installation-due-to-mechanical-software-problems.html

And as of current many stations are still ripped up in various phases of installation.

Scheidt&Bachmann products are well.. pretty unreliable at times. 

Look at the PRESTO readers, fare gates, fare machines on the streetcars, always out of service and broken... and then there's the GRT fareboxes which take too long to pay a single cash fare...

Probably contracted to do all of PRESTO services, so probably that's why people say PRESTO is unreliable, because of faulty equipment...

Here's some of their products,  might recognize some of them 

https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/en/fare-collection-systems/products-solutions/ticketing-devices/

3 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Gee-freaking-gee.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/15/ttc-suspends-presto-fare-gate-installation-due-to-mechanical-software-problems.html

And as of current many stations are still ripped up in various phases of installation.

What shoddy reporting though...

" Since its deployment on the TTC began in 2010, the fare card system has suffered reliability problems, including faulty readers on buses and streetcars, and sluggish payment machines. "

and the link talks about the launch on the GO.

They need to be robust enough structurally and mechanically, otherwise they'd be ineffective and a contributor to service delays in itself. As mentioned above, if the gates can indeed be simply smashed through, drivers will likely continue into the raised tracks and get stuck regardless. And if the gates fail mechanically (due to snow/salt/water damage or whatever) easily, they'll cause even more frequent service disruptions. So hopefully their procurement process is stronger than Presto...

Structurally robust?

If they hit the barrier and total the car, it’ll still be several hours of tying up the line extricating them and the car anyway, even if they didn’t make it to the bottom of the ramp. 

Honestly, all the gate needs to do is hide the entrance to the tunnel and put a big stop sign between the rails on both sides.

It doesn't even need a motor. It just needs a spring mechanism with enough strength to keep it closed but can be pushed open by a vehicle going through.

3 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

Honestly, all the gate needs to do is hide the entrance to the tunnel and put a big stop sign between the rails on both sides.

It doesn't even need a motor. It just needs a spring mechanism with enough strength to keep it closed but can be pushed open by a vehicle going through.

That would involve customization, and an engineer(s) approval, delaying things.

going off the shelf would expedite stuff as much as possible. Even that would require a blueprint.