TTC in the news

buschic

27544794_10156475019609239_2959816642331

An explanation of the morning's incidents. Some unavoidable, but several were definitely avoidable. 

Could the work cars be stored in the Finch tail tracks or Sheppard wye portals to keep them out of centre/pocket tracks?

And moving a disabled train during rush hour is definitely too risky especially if it's already been limped off the mainline.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

27544794_10156475019609239_2959816642331

An explanation of the morning's incidents. Some unavoidable, but several were definitely avoidable. 

Could the work cars be stored in the Finch tail tracks or Sheppard wye portals to keep them out of centre/pocket tracks?

And moving a disabled train during rush hour is definitely too risky especially if it's already been limped off the mainline.

No to the tail tracks, as that causes the blind trips to be up which slows down the terminals. Considering the terminals are already bottlenecked badly in the rush hours because the line is running at (or greater than) capacity, doing that will just exacerbate the problem. Maybe the wye, but I've never seen it used in 10+ years for storage, which leads me to believe there is a reason why it can't be done.

Now, moving the disabled train in rush hour... yeah, that's a hell of a risky proposition and it backfired here. Especially since it was at Finch, where there are ways to work around the aforementioned blind trip issue if it was the only train parked in storage up there (which I honestly don't know - there may have been others in the tails).

As for some of the things mentioned in that attachment (particularly the statement that they will clear work zones on time), that's a load of bull. If a work zone is late clearing, there is a reason for it - it's not like the work crew decided to take longer than they should have. Usually it's due to a complication that arose overnight with the work they were doing, and with roughly 2 hours overnight to do the work, they don't have a lot of time to work around any complications.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Bypassing packed stations? I understand the safety issue, but how does that aleviate the solution? 

Basically by not dumping more people on a platform which is already overcrowded. You can then use various tricks to find an empty train to pull into the overcrowded platform to take some people off it. Short turning a train from the other direction and deadheading it to the problem station. Offloading some trains at the stop before (eg Rosedale SB) to go empty in to the problem station (eg Bloor SB). When it is a passenger safety issue you have to resort to some methods that won't really be seen as good customer service in all cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

Basically by not dumping more people on a platform which is already overcrowded. You can then use various tricks to find an empty train to pull into the overcrowded platform to take some people off it. Short turning a train from the other direction and deadheading it to the problem station. Offloading some trains at the stop before (eg Rosedale SB) to go empty in to the problem station (eg Bloor SB). When it is a passenger safety issue you have to resort to some methods that won't really be seen as good customer service in all cases.

If the train was full, and the platform was full i understand the bypassing. 

But if you keep bypassing you will never alleviate the problem. 

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

Has the TTC ever increased service on the 97 Yonge bus route to make up for disruptions like these? They would be especially useful during weekends closures along the Yonge line.

The TTC doesn't have a hundred extra buses with drivers standing by during the rush hour in the off chance there is a delay. Plus it would take well over an hour to drive from one end of the system to another, so unless a delay will take at least that long to fix there's not point sending shuttles because the subway will be running again by the time the shuttle buses arrive.

And the TTC puts an army of 50+ buses out during scheduled weekend closures. It is much easier logistically speaking to funnel everyone onto the shuttle buses that directly serve the fare-paid zone of each station, rather than have to explain to people which stop to get off at and how to reenter the system from the street.

January 31, 2018

This weekend, Feb. 3-4, TTC crews will continue installation of the Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system. In order to complete this work, the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between St Clair West and Union stations will be closed.

Throughout the closure, express shuttle buses will run between Spadina and St Clair West stations only. The TTC encourages customers to use the following alternatives: 
- Line 2 Bloor-Danforth 
- Yonge portion of Line 1 
- 6 Bay bus 
- East-west streetcars on College, Dundas, Queen and King Sts. to connect with the Yonge portion of Line 1

St Clair West, Spadina, St George and Union stations will be open for fare sales and connections to surface vehicles. All other stations on this part of Line 1 will be closed.

When ATC is fully implemented in 2020, it will provide a more modern and reliable signal system that will allow for an increase in the number of trains operating on Line 1.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend closures to complete ATC and state-of-good-repair work. One weekend of work during a closure is equivalent to about five weeks of nightly work.

This is the first of three such closures on this portion of Line 1 in 2018. This year, there will be a total of 39 full weekend closures, three one-day closures and seven late openings. Metrolinx requires 24 closures to accommodate Eglinton Crosstown LRT construction at Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave. The TTC will take advantage of those closures for maintenance and upgrades in the affected areas.

The next scheduled subway closures are:
- Feb. 10-11 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair to Lawrence for Metrolinx construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT 
- Feb. 17-18 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair to Lawrence for Metrolinx construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT 
- Feb. 24-25 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair to Sheppard for Metrolinx construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and TTC track work.

TTC service on Line 2 suspended for police investigation

February 2, 2018

At approximately 5:30 a.m., TTC staff identified signal issues in the area of Royal York Station.

It has been determined the issues were the result of a deliberate act of vandalism to TTC equipment.

Toronto Police Service was alerted and is now investigating.

Failsafe mechanisms were in place and working, allowing subways to operate safely through the area.

In order to accommodate the investigation, the TTC has shut down subway service on Line 2 between Kipling and Jane stations as of 10 a.m.

The investigation could take several hours, during which time 40 to 50 express shuttle buses will service stations in the closure area.
Stations impacted are Kipling, Islington, Royal York and Old Mill.

TTC customers heading to and from Pearson Airport can use UP Express via Dundas West Station using a TTC fare.

TTC customers can also use GO Transit on a TTC fare during the closure.

The TTC will issue service updates as needed.

All questions related to the investigation should be directed to Toronto Police.

Maybe it's time the TTC upgrades their low suite security fencing around that Islington portal. That's unless of course they want more of this kind of non-sense to happen on a regular basis.

The same goes for Keele Yard, i'm surprised there hasnt been a case of significant vandalism there either.

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

If they can cut signal cables, they can cut any type of fencing you can throw at them without giving it a second thought.

True enough, but the low suite security that's currently around the area is basically like an open door for anyone to go in the tunnels around there.

Toronto man charged in connection to Royal York subway station vandalism

http://www.680news.com/2018/02/03/toronto-man-charged-connection-royal-york-subway-station-vandalism/

I've heard of all kinds of mid-life crises. This takes the cake.

Or demon possession.

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

They've been planning that line since the 60s. By the time it gets built, riding subways will be a for small, retro nostalgia niche.

The rest of us will teleport. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RevEleven said:

They've been planning that line since the 60s. By the time it gets built, riding subways will be a for small, retro nostalgia niche.

Hipsters rejoice....by glowering through lensless aviator glasses.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RevEleven said:

Toronto man charged in connection to Royal York subway station vandalism

http://www.680news.com/2018/02/03/toronto-man-charged-connection-royal-york-subway-station-vandalism/

I've heard of all kinds of mid-life crises. This takes the cake.

Or demon possession.

This guy is properly stupid.

3 hours ago, RevEleven said:

No no, you’re forgetting about our good old friend Musk and his hyperloop. 

• Haha 1

About bloody time

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2018/02/06/bombardier-sets-up-new-streetcar-production-line-in-kingston-gives-ttc-new-delivery-schedule.html

The deadline of having 204 in 2019 seems possible now. I also like what Mr. Prud'Homme said: "No revisions, no excuses, this year we deliver for the people of Toronto". I mean, I hope so....

First deliveries in third quarter of this year. Ferry time will be shorter too. 

According to the article/Bombardier, 4466 exists. 

2 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

About bloody time

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2018/02/06/bombardier-sets-up-new-streetcar-production-line-in-kingston-gives-ttc-new-delivery-schedule.html

The deadline of having 204 in 2019 seems possible now. I also like what Mr. Prud'Homme said: "No revisions, no excuses, this year we deliver for the people of Toronto". I mean, I hope so....

First deliveries in third quarter of this year. Ferry time will be shorter too. 

According to the article/Bombardier, 4466 exists. 

Well done Mr. Prudhomme:

pJjRvvF.jpg

• Haha 1