TTC in the news

buschic

21 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2016/07/12/hot-tip-to-keep-cool-on-the-ttc

Looks like A/C issue is slowly showing in the news..

I don't know why the channels like CP24, CITY NEWS, CTV TORONTO do not show this on the news?

Did the TTC paid them not to show the problem publicly?

It's been in the media for the past 2 weeks - where have you been?

Also - are you suggesting that the TTC is bribing the media corporations? Are you that daft?

Dan

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

Only able-bodied people in the wheelchair area. I have no doubt, that push come to shove, the 1 or 2 displaced people would be able to squeeze elsewhere on the bus. Perhaps on the stairs or upper floor, that never seems to be at capacity, no matter how bad it is at the front.

Well, now that you've outed yourself as a racist and a complete fool ...

How would one even have thoughts like that? I don't understand the evil that is in some people, or that one would possibly ever think in a thousand years that such a comment was appropriate!

I'm just describing some of the real situations that happens on transit vehicles. I agree with wil9402 that everyone complains. Everyone lives in a different part of the city and witness things differently. The world isn't as friendly as some of us thinks.

As for the situation when a bus holds too long, most people of any race would be frustrated. People of difference culture and education expressed themselves differently but some actions of frustration might seem intimidating to the ops more than others. 

28 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I'm just describing some of the real situations that happens on transit vehicles.

I've heard similar comments from every race.

To ascribe such characteristics to a particular race is unforgivable and blatantly racist.

Hopefully everyone can learn from the message that Black Lives Matter is trying to spread, and end this evil and totally unnecessary racism!

Unless the definition of downtown core has changed recently, St Clair, Kingston, Lake Shore, The Queensway, Roncesvalles, Broadview, Howard Park, and parts of Queen East and West aren't the downtown core, either, yet streetcars operate there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, raptorjays said:

CBC reported this last month - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-hot-subway-cars-air-conditioning-1.3655494 - which was after TTC plastered it on the front page of their website.

Clearly TTC is trying to hide the issue, by plastering it on the front of their website! :)

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

CBC reported this last month - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-hot-subway-cars-air-conditioning-1.3655494 - which was after TTC plastered it on the front page of their website.

Clearly TTC is trying to hide the issue, by plastering it on the front of their website! :)

In the service industry.. It is important to address any major problems which could affect customers..

I'm absolutely disappointed about the way the TTC is handling this.. Looks like their mental age is around elementary school level.

If they were normal, they could have done better things such as removing hot fleets for at least on the weekend to speed up the fix process.. or possibly put few TR during rush hours.

35 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

In the service industry.. It is important to address any major problems which could affect customers..

I'm absolutely disappointed about the way the TTC is handling this.. Looks like their mental age is around elementary school level.

If they were normal, they could have done better things such as removing hot fleets for at least on the weekend to speed up the fix process.. or possibly put few TR during rush hours.

Sure, let's think about this logically - let's put a couple of TRs out on the B-D line.

So how many TRs are you going to remove from service on the YUS then? Because you only have so many crews available on any given day, and the vast, vast majority of the crews on the B-D aren't trained to operate the TRs, and thus you're going to be having them run with YUS crews. And now you're going to have a situation where you have fewer trains on the YUS, leading to worse crowding than is already there.

As for "removing hot fleets for the weekend"....there are currently at least 96 spare T1 cars on any given weekday morning, which is when the largest number of cars is needed for service. There are more out of service for the rest of the day. Do you really think that they're just sitting on their thumbs not trying to fix the problem?

Hmm....all of a sudden, the problem isn't so easy to solve now, is it?

Dan

Toronto, Ont.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

You just don't get it, do you?

If I go to the TTC home page, I see a link to the following article: http://ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Line_2_subway_cars.jsp

They've informed the customers of what is going on and what to expect. Is it the case that they are not addressing the issue, or rather, are people too dumb to do even the most basic of research on the issue? :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, smallspy said:

So how many TRs are you going to remove from service on the YUS then? Because you only have so many crews available on any given day, and the vast, vast majority of the crews on the B-D aren't trained to operate the TRs, and thus you're going to be having them run with YUS crews. And now you're going to have a situation where you have fewer trains on the YUS, leading to worse crowding than is already there.

Has the TTC even done a clearance check with the TR's on the BD line?

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

Sure, let's think about this logically - let's put a couple of TRs out on the B-D line.

As for "removing hot fleets for the weekend"....there are currently at least 96 spare T1 cars on any given weekday morning, which is when the largest number of cars is needed for service. There are more out of service for the rest of the day. Do you really think that they're just sitting on their thumbs not trying to fix the problem?

Hmm....all of a sudden, the problem isn't so easy to solve now, is it?

Dan

Toronto, Ont.

And TTC done it!

3 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

Has the TTC even done a clearance check with the TR's on the BD line?

Of course they have. They wouldn't have run them on the BD previously if they hadn't.

2 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

And TTC done it!

I'll admit, not what I was expecting.

Of course, 2 trains out of 42 they run in the morning is a pretty small drop in the hat.

Dan

11 hours ago, smallspy said:

Of course they have. They wouldn't have run them on the BD previously if they hadn't.

I'll admit, not what I was expecting.

Of course, 2 trains out of 42 they run in the morning is a pretty small drop in the hat.

Dan

There was as much as 4 TRs during the PM rush on the BD line. The BD cancelled some crews as a result to add to the repair pool.

And some OT for YUS Ops to help out on the BD isn't far fetched either. Its amazing what TTC can do and is willing to do when the media gets a hold of TTC issues.

So for those of you who said it needs to get the attention of the media and did so did a good job. Its unfortunate it had to get this blown up for the Commission to do something. Apparently last year on the BD the Ops said they were experiencing the same thing.

17 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

So for those of you who said it needs to get the attention of the media and did so did a good job. Its unfortunate it had to get this blown up for the Commission to do something. Apparently last year on the BD the Ops said they were experiencing the same thing.

It was definitely an issue last year, it just wasnt as widespread as it is this year.

The thing that surprises me is that there hasnt been an increase in the number of delays related to the A/C issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lip said:

It was definitely an issue last year, it just wasnt as widespread as it is this year.

The thing that surprises me is that there hasnt been an increase in the number of delays related to the A/C issues.

I pretty sure agree with you 100%. At least they should have taken the ones without an A/C out of service until its resolved without customers complaining this issue. 

12 hours ago, 21 Brimley said:

I pretty sure agree with you 100%. At least they should have taken the ones without an A/C out of service until its resolved without customers complaining this issue. 

If they take all of the units that don't have functioning A/C out of service, then they don't have enough to make service. How does that help?

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

If they take all of the units that don't have functioning A/C out of service, then they don't have enough to make service. How does that help?

This was a problem last summer. At that point they could have taken them out of service and dealt with it.

Clearly TTC has screwed up massively on routine maintenance - particularly with some of the same units being reported late last year, still not having working A/C.

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

This was a problem last summer. At that point they could have taken them out of service and dealt with it.

Clearly TTC has screwed up massively on routine maintenance - particularly with some of the same units being reported late last year, still not having working A/C.

This is what worries me. Are we sliding down into the same pattern of deferred maintenance that we had in the early 1990s?

Sure, it's only A/C. But it may just be the tip of the iceberg, too.

Dan

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, smallspy said:

This is what worries me. Are we sliding down into the same pattern of deferred maintenance that we had in the early 1990s?

I share those same concerns. We have gone though this path of requests to reduce operational costs once before with Ford, and Tory is doing the exact same thing.

This is exactly why I was concerned with some of the policies implemented by Tory with the TTC (specifically the free child fares). I dont care how small the lost revenue is, some of that revenue could have ultimately been used to rectify issues like this quicker. Providing service is more important than a goodwill gesture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/24/ttc-faces-perfect-storm-with-costs-rising-ridership-slumping.html

Another article about slumping ridership for the TTC..

They are thinking about increasing fare again, but I don't think that solution will work anymore.

I think fare increase can give them a relief on their budget for short term, but definitely not for long term. 

The problem is, that they've been doing it pretty much every year and their riders are tired of hearing that news..

I saw an article one months ago and the metropass sales declined compared to previous years.

Also, I said it before, but free fare for the kids 12 and under was the biggest mistake.

Hope they can find other solutions other than fare increase or service cuts..

I think the province should increase the subsidy.... which is way too low

• A. Wong locked this topic
  • 1604 unlocked this topic