TTC in the news

buschic

So you are basically tell the cabbies just sit back and watch the politicans fix the problems.

They could have protested in front of City Hall and the like, but I don't support the whole driving around, blocking traffic, and being nuisances approach. By doing so, they alienated a considerable portion of on-the-fence people... all you have to do is a have a quick read through any news articles on these protests and you would see exactly how the public feels about it. Was that their end goal? I don't think so. Even if they get Uber to follow the same rules they're subjected to, the general public will still opt for Uber, as long as it is more convenient to them. Thus the complaints about Uber taking away their business will continue.

In the end, they can do whatever they want, but if you don't attract the support of the public with this method, it should come as no surprise.

At the end of the day, taxis and UberX do the exact same thing and have the same problems with their drivers. One is legal and one is not. And when the illegal side starts taking business from the ones following the law, then someone is going to say something about it. The ones following the law are not going to lie down and take it, like what most supporting the illegal side are hoping for.

Uber and taxis are essentally the same thing. Uber is obviously cheaper than taxi. Obviously the consumer will pick the cheapest option.

Is Uber cheaper? Always? I have the impression that it's usually more expensive. But it's way cooler to call up an Uber car through your phone app rather than stand on the street waving at traffic.

Note, I don't like taxis, haven't been in one in years, and I don't have a phone with apps so I will not be using Uber either.

The thing with Uber is that it is doing skimming with underpaid casual labour. Suppose we say "okay, that's it", take every taxi off the road, and let Uber take over? It would be a disaster. Much more of a disaster than if we took Uber of the roads and kept taxis.

As for Uber Hop, let's fold the TTC. Uber Hop will take care of us! Hop, Uber! Hop! Hop to it1 :rolleyes:

Uber drivers should be required to have commercial insurance like Tax's. The vehicles should be subject to inspection like Taxis and must be held to a specific standard. The Uber fares should also be regulated and not fluctuate on demand. Background checks? Drivers abstracts on an on going basis. How do you know that they are driving with a valid license?

Taxi drivers should be upheld to a higher standard than they are now. Cars with broken airbags, busted suspension, drivers that dont speak english, cant drive if their life depended on it. As well as fraudulent drivers that drive taxi's without a taxi license. I have been on a cab where the ID didn't match the person driving.

Both of these have issues.

I recall they did that already and no action was taken.

That's a double edged sword then I guess... sure, by blocking traffic they may have gained political attention for their cause, but at the expense of public support. You would attract far many more people to your cause by working to eliminate all the factors that lead to the rise of Uber's popularity in the first place, and adopting all of the positive features of Uber. Beat them at their own game, as it were.

Uber drivers should be required to have commercial insurance like Tax's. The vehicles should be subject to inspection like Taxis and must be held to a specific standard. The Uber fares should also be regulated and not fluctuate on demand. Background checks? Drivers abstracts on an on going basis. How do you know that they are driving with a valid license?

Taxi drivers should be upheld to a higher standard than they are now. Cars with broken airbags, busted suspension, drivers that dont speak english, cant drive if their life depended on it. As well as fraudulent drivers that drive taxi's without a taxi license. I have been on a cab where the ID didn't match the person driving.

Both of these have issues.

This about sums up the issue, I feel.

But it's way cooler to call up an Uber car through your phone app rather than stand on the street waving at traffic.

You can also request a cab by making one phone call. I have done it numerous time.

When Uber drivers are required to get the commercial insurance, annual inspection, etc, they won't be able to offer their service at the price right now.

Non-preventable?

for ttc driver, yes.

Uber and taxis are essentally the same thing. Uber is obviously cheaper than taxi. Obviously the consumer will pick the cheapest option.

Uber is not always faster or cheaper then a taxi. During surge pricing it can be same or even cost more then a taxi.

I agree about the thin edge. Tory can't even agree whether or not uber is breaking any city bylaws and Byford's not sure if TTC's monopoly is being infringed on? Huh? No wonder uber's impertinent and cheeky attitude knows no bounds. Mihevic believes they should deal with uber before they get too big and out of control, if they wait any longer, that'll be a moot point.. Minnan-Wong wants the city to look into private companies that offer 'micro-transit' services. Of course there's no reason those micro services won't or can't expand system wide once they've gotten a foothold.

The city is waiting for the case of about six Uber drivers to go through the court system to pan out before they spend any more time and money on Uber enforcement.

true but they can amend the by-laws but they haven't done so.

They are working on making changes to make Uber and Taxi on the same playing field.

I actually got cut off by an uber driver once on one lane road. I am not saying all uber drivers are bad. There is no guarantee.

The problem here is how come Uber drivers have lower operation costs such as don't have to pay the commercial insurance, a taxi plate, avoid annual inspection, don't have to install winter tires, etc. This create an unfair disadvantage.

it is like open my own restaurant using my own kitchen. Dodging the health inspection, business license, business insurance, etc.

Also as of Last week Uber X drivers do have to prove to Uber that they have their own insurance that will cover their riders and other drivers at Uber will no longer bare the cost of insurance while they are driving for Uber X

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the news on CP24 this afternoon. There was an incident on Eglinton @ Lebovic about a woman calling for help after a TTC bus numbered 7682 ran her over and pinned her. She forgot to dial 911 to report the accident and instead called her boss at work. :unsure:

I want to know how she got pinned under the bus in the first place. If she was actually hit, she'll be in too much pain to make a call.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/major-revamp-of-contentious-scarborough-subway-plan-includes-fewer-stops/article28280303/?click=sf_globefb

First, they are going to reduce the SmartTrack proposal between Mount Dennis and Pearson International Airport and instead extend the Eglinton Crosstown LRT to Pearson as originally planned in phase 2. Phase 1 is currently Mount Dennis in the west to Kennedy Station in the east.

Now, there is a mention of the Scarborough Subway Extension possibly being reduced to just one additional station. Kennedy Station which is the current terminus and Scarborough Town Centre as the new terminus. Sheppard East and Lawrence East stations would be cut from the plan. Along with a proposal to extend the Eglinton Crosstown LRT to University of Toronto Scarborough campus or in short, replicating part of what the Malvern LRT would have serviced instead.

I really think the SmartTrack proposal really isn't going where they were expecting. Especially when they claim that the cost will be the price of a TTC token.

Personally, I think they should have stuck with the Transit City plan where they have already completed the environmental assessments and studies, just need funding and some contractors to build out those plans. I never really believed in the SmartTrack plan to begin with.

Personally, I think they should have stuck with the Transit City plan where they have already completed the environmental assessments and studies, just need funding and some contractors to build out those plans.

The funny thing is, this is probably the final nail in the coffin for the BD extension before switching back to converting the SRT. I mean, no one will look at this and think "Gee, I'm glad we are paying more taxes for the sake of worse transit."

This is ridiculous, a subway from Kennedy to STC? That's like a 6 minute ride non stop. Who builds subway like this? Imagine the backlog to STC while trains are stuck in tunnels for 20+ minute. The Warden to Kennedy ride is already bad with backlog, just to make it 4x longer is going to be a killer.

The merit of the subway is to extend to Sheppard to shorten all the NE buses from McCowan/Finch and Malvern areas. Also, a considerable amount of people take the 53 at Lawrence East. They will all be inconvenienced.

I agree Transit City was a better plan. They should have stuck with it with some grade separation tweaks.

^^There are subways with long distances between stations. It's not a rare thing.

This plan is an improvement over the 3 stop subway plan, but let's face it. Politicians wasted time and a lot of money to come up with a plan that will cost more, and basically replicate what the SLRT and SMLRT were planned for.

This is ridiculous, a subway from Kennedy to STC? That's like a 6 minute ride non stop. Who builds subway like this? Imagine the backlog to STC while trains are stuck in tunnels for 20+ minute. The Warden to Kennedy ride is already bad with backlog, just to make it 4x longer is going to be a killer.

Don't forget that not all trains will be going to STC.

^^There are subways with long distances between stations. It's not a rare thing.

This plan is an improvement over the 3 stop subway plan, but let's face it. Politicians wasted time and a lot of money to come up with a plan that will cost more, and basically replicate what the SLRT and SMLRT were planned for.

Yeah but usually built above ground in the suburbs with faster trains. This subway is 6km long, the distance from Eglinton to Sheppard.

Yeah but usually built above ground in the suburbs with faster trains. This subway is 6km long, the distance from Eglinton to Sheppard.

To put that in perspective, that's longer than the entire Sheppard line, or of a DRL subway from Pape to Queen.

To put that in perspective, that's longer than the entire Sheppard line, or of a DRL subway from Pape to Queen.

I think the Sheppard Line would do just fine with 2 stations.

People wouldn't be able to shop at Ikea and the 11 Bayview riders need to make an extra transfer but they only account for 15%. According the the current direction we're moving towards, the minority doesn't matter.

• A. Wong locked this topic
  • 1604 unlocked this topic