buschic

TTC in the news

I just thought of something, when the closure ended at Bloor-Yonge, they released the following description of the victim and the suspect.

Victim: male in his 20's, possibly dark skin

Suspect: male in his mid 40's, asian

Yesterday, they released the following description and identification 

Victim: Yosuke Hayahara, 73 of Toronto

Suspect: John Reszetnik, 57, caucasian male

First thing I noticed, the victim, not 20, not dark skinned. Second, the victim, not mid 40's, not asian. Why could this be? Maybe false witness statements? Somebody make me understand 

^Well so much for that "international search", Rick Leary will be the new CEO. By international, if they meant American import already in Canada with the TTC, then they certainly got their man.

I'm expecting much of the same stagnant ongoings pre-Byford with Leary at the helm, especially as evidenced by his lack of communication.

• Thanks 1

He we go again with silos and lack of communications. Streetcars routes will become bus routes like the 505 & 506. Rick will join the list of cow bowers and sucking up to the pols.

Yes, looking at the front page of today's Toronto Star on my doorstep, made me realize my question was moot!

I guess the days of management pushing for improved customer service and systemic change are likely over.

-called it.

edit: not worth being called into the office for something I posted here, so I’m going to delete it myself.

Edited by Bus_Medic

31 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

-called it.

edit: not worth being called into the office for something I posted here, so I’m going to delete it myself.

Bad or Good? I guess Bad if you took your comments away.

9 hours ago, smallspy said:

While a media rumour is hardly proof until the official announcement, there's also the worry that "where there's smoke, there's fire".

Dan

At this point I wouldnt call it a rumor. It's common practice for individuals to leak news to the media, some (such as in politics) do it just to gauge a reaction of a planned implementation, while others do it because they already have the knowledge and are willing to share that information in exchange for anonymity.

15 hours ago, lip said:

At this point I wouldnt call it a rumor. It's common practice for individuals to leak news to the media, some (such as in politics) do it just to gauge a reaction of a planned implementation, while others do it because they already have the knowledge and are willing to share that information in exchange for anonymity.

At the time of my original posting, it was just a rumour as being reported by the media. The official announcement came later in the day.

I'm good, but even I can't predict the future.

Dan

1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

Not sure if right place to ask: Is TTC PRESTO still moving forward with TWO-HOUR fare for August 2018?

Hearsay, but the date I have heard is Aug. 26th.

4 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Hearsay, but the date I have heard is Aug. 26th.

TTC Customer Service is saying August 26. Along with Student passes on Presto. And MDP passes for concessions.

Then October 15 for daily rate capping, and March 2019 for weekly rate capping, and June 2019 for single-use paper Presto tickets. I think those are the big upcoming changes in the June report to the board - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2018/June_12/Reports/13_PRESTO_Update_and_Transition_Overview.pdf

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BYD said:

If anyone heard about this, TTC may possibly take over the Toronto Island ferry operations.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/the-way-we-were-will-the-ttc-take-over-island-ferry-operations

The Star On July 5th reported this and TTC has run the Ferry Service before. From 1962 to 1997 ran the service

Uh, July 5th 2007.

fact check says TTC administered the service only up to ‘62. Not sure what the 1997 amalgamation has do do with anything ...

coulda sworn they handed it off in ‘54, but I’ve been wrong before.

Branching out into marine diesels would be a neat challenge to pad my résumé..

Hop on-hop off transfer available on TTC starting Aug. 26

July 30, 2018

Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and Councillor Jon Burnside (Ward 26) announced today that TTC will introduce the hop on-hop off transfer for PRESTO customers next month.

Starting Aug. 26, PRESTO card customers will be able to take advantage of the new two-hour transfer to hop on and off the TTC or switch directions at any point in their journey. As long as they are within two hours of their first tap, they won't be charged another fare. 

"It is important that everyone in Toronto has access to public transit, and this new two-hour transfer will make transit more affordable and convenient for people," said Mayor John Tory. "With this year's fare freeze, the Kids Ride Free program, the Fair Fare Pass for low-income residents and now the hop on-hop off transfer, the TTC is more affordable for more people in Toronto."

Once the hop on-hop off transfer is in effect, PRESTO card customers should tap their card each time they enter a subway station and whenever they board a bus or streetcar, regardless of whether it's in a station or on the street. Tapping validates the transfer or monthly pass on the card. 

"The hop on-hop off transfer is an excellent initiative for the residents of Ward 26 and across the city," said Councillor Burnside. "It will greatly help people who need to stop on the way home, whether it's to pick up groceries or to pick up kids from daycare."

In addition to the hop on-hop off transfer, TTC Monthly Passes and 12 Month Passes will be available for all adults, seniors and youths to purchase on PRESTO, starting with the September pass. These passes will be available for sale from Aug. 23 until Sept. 5 and will cost the same and provide the same unlimited travel as a regular Metropass or the Metropass Discount Plan (MDP). After that, passes will be available eight days before the end of the month until five days after the start of a new month. 

"With so many fare options on PRESTO, the time is right for customers to switch from tickets, tokens and TTC passes to PRESTO," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "PRESTO is a key piece in the TTC's modernization efforts. By the end of 2019 customers will no longer be able to pay their fare by tickets, tokens or TTC passes. PRESTO or cash will be the only way for customers to pay their fare."

PRESTO is available on all streetcars, buses and at every subway station entrance. New PRESTO Fare Vending Machines are also available at select subway station entrances, making it even easier for customers to buy a PRESTO card, load it with money or a monthly pass or check their balance. By later this fall every station entrance will have at least one PRESTO Fare Vending Machine as well as a Self-Serve Reload Machine. 

• Like 1

I feel like the "Kids 12 and under ride free" program is being heavily abused by school kids in grade 8/9/10 who are not wearing a school uniform to identify them, or just look young enough to pass for a 12 year old.

I work near both elementary schools and high schools, and I see them regularly getting on without paying, and the operators have no way of even checking their status.

IMO it should be reduced to 10 years or under, it would cut down a lot on this fare evasion.