TTC in the news

buschic

44 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

I am just wondering if TTC subways are more prone to those crazy incidents because the system does not have any cell or data service.. 

I am jealous of some subway networks in the world which they can use their cellphone freely even underground.

No that's not the reason.  It's because we don't have any real solutions to deal with homelessness, drug addiction and mental illness.  It might be a combination of all of those factors.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a only Toronto issue. It's a North American issue. We need to look at doing something different if we want to turn things around, and spending cuts are not the way to do it. 

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

I am just wondering if TTC subways are more prone to those crazy incidents because the system does not have any cell or data service.. 

I am jealous of some subway networks in the world which they can use their cellphone freely even underground.

There is cell service in the stations, except it's only for Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind) customers. Bell/Rogers/Telus etc refused to pay to access the network.

WiFi is in the stations, but you can't make phone calls on it.

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

What good would having service underground do? If you saw some shit going down, by the time the authorities had reached the scene the damage would have already been done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

There are deeper societal issues at play but it doesn't mean we have to tolerate crack or meth usage on trains or streetcars.

The same government bullshitting about "violence in the ttc" is the same government opening as many pot stores as possible, staying silent about the hundreds of youth getting access to (obviously) illegal firearms and the hub of thousands of underground drug sellers to both the youth and the public to avoid tarnishing the city's reputation to the outside world. The same government hasn't done jack shit to prevent rising grocery prices, fix homelessness, and Politics are all bullshit. Police activity will not fix anything because that is not the reason behind all this. Regardless of leader I refuse to trust any level of government anymore. Shout out to Trudeau especially, this guy really cares about the country instead of taking vacations

There is only so much police you can toss around the system. There will never be enough for every train car, every bus and streetcar 

57 minutes ago, Shaun said:

No that's not the reason.  It's because we don't have any real solutions to deal with homelessness, drug addiction and mental illness.  It might be a combination of all of those factors.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a only Toronto issue. It's a North American issue. We need to look at doing something different if we want to turn things around, and spending cuts are not the way to do it. 

We have fought for so much freedom and laws to be tarnished and look at the mess of the western world. It cant even be denied when you look at other countries who have kept such laws in regulation in a much better state than the west

Exactly. They decriminalize so many drugs instead of countering and throwing thugs who run the operation in jail. A safe house injection site is a band aid solution. If they are on it for years, it’s time to get them to quit. This is what freedom buys. Also having injection site beside an university and tourist attraction is not a good idea. Clearly crimes and harassment in the area has gone up significantly. 

The safety of these dozens of addicts is apparently more important than the tens of thousands of people being harassed and potentially assaulted every day.

Stuff like TTC employees being chased with a syringe at Dundas Station is a good example.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T3G said:

What good would having service underground do? If you saw some shit going down, by the time the authorities had reached the scene the damage would have already been done.

People can easier/quicker report stuff kind of quietly via the TTC Safe app, with picture/video.

12 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Stuff like TTC employees being chased with a syringe at Dundas Station is a good example.

They have to deal with that kind of stuff daily people walking with syringes, injecting, passing out from drugs, overdosing from drugs, having to clean up the drug paraphernalia those people always leave behind.

Not to mention the other stuff they have to clean up like feces, garbage, ripped out payphones and other damage, fire extinguishers discharged and thrown at the tracks,

Its not safe and definitely not good for morale. 

17 hours ago, Shaun said:

I have noticed that the wifi at TTC stations have been in a state of disrepair for extended periods of time. They claim that it's a safety feature available for passengers, what good is it if it's not working for months on end. 

Honestly I havent used it much at all, because it requires to agree to that stupid portal page every time, and does not reconnect properly lets say at another station.

But as to it's reliability, its not maintained by the TTC as far as I remember, it was an outside company and I'm sure they were counting on profits from selling cellular access to more than Freedom Mobile, as Bell/Rogers/Telus did not pay the fees to be available below grade in stations. I dont remember if it was unreasonable  costs, but If the telco mafia refuses, it probably was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They should try moving the trees instead cause they really can't get them back in a century. 

Not that easy to move trees and some will die after being transplanted. Takes 20 years to become a good size if the right trees size is planted on day one as well the type of tree.

Then, where do you relocated the trees to??

On 2/2/2023 at 3:55 PM, Shaun said:

I have noticed that the wifi at TTC stations have been in a state of disrepair for extended periods of time. They claim that it's a safety feature available for passengers, what good is it if it's not working for months on end. 

It's always been a bit flakey, but cell always seems fine in the same stations, and downtown tunnels.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:50 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

They should try moving the trees instead cause they really can't get them back in a century. 

Spade trucks are some bad-ass looking rigs. 

I'm no arborist, but wouldn't that be a bit risky in terms of damaging the roots beneath the ground, especially since they're so close to each other? I'd suppose the roots are pretty deep now too, given their age?

Although I'd totally support it as a last resort if it was safe for them, 100% better than just cutting them down. 

On 2/9/2023 at 2:17 PM, raptorjays said:

This is absolutely horrific... as the provincial government excluded the local NDP MPPs related to the Ontario Line construction for discussing tree removals.. 

This is the kind of unethical shenanigans that anyone who has been part of community consultation with Metrolinx, is used to.

And people wonder why some of us'd be very happy to see Metrolinx get their comeuppance in court by the Law Society.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, nfitz said:

This is the kind of unethical shenanigans that anyone who has been part of community consultation has seen with Metrolinx is used to.

And people wonder why some of us'd be very happy to see Metrolinx get their comeuppance in court by the Law Society.

Doug Ford and his entire government is filled with full of corruptness.. 

However, the most pathetic part is that the media is too generous on Doug Ford’s corruption while they always try to find something to scratch Trudeau and the federal government. 

If the media put same effort on Doug Ford like what they did to Trudeau.. Doug Ford would have ended up in jail. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Except Doug Ford isn’t doing anything illegal. He could bend laws to his liking. It just makes him not popular.

i do see Trudeau and Ford are getting different treatments on same level of controversies. 

If this was Trudeau instead of Ford, the media would pressure him to resign.

All of the media outlets are taking every opportunities to give fellatio to Doug Ford. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

i do see Trudeau and Ford are getting different treatments on same level of controversies. 

All of the media outlets are taking every opportunities to give fellatio to Doug Ford. 

And CBC...wait I thought they were Liberal?? Did Ford pay them or something

8 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Doug Ford and his entire government is filled with full of corruptness.. 

However, the most pathetic part is that the media is too generous on Doug Ford’s corruption while they always try to find something to scratch Trudeau and the federal government. 

If the media put same effort on Doug Ford like what they did to Trudeau.. Doug Ford would have ended up in jail. 

Show proof if you're going to make these kind of statements. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Except Doug Ford isn’t doing anything illegal. He could bend laws to his liking. It just makes him not popular.

There was the story the Globe and Mail did about 10 years ago about Doug Ford and drug dealing. A simple google search, e.g. "globe and mail doug ford drug dealer" will give you plenty of hits from possibly credible sources like the Gobe, the Star, etc.

Mind you, that seemed to get no traction, so here we are, ten years later.

11 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Whatever you might think of Poilievre and Singh, they have managed to keep a higher profile than the opposition party leaders and Queen's Park.