TTC in the news

buschic

5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Nitpick: the purple coating on the TRs is already antimicrobial.

Except it isnt really, because the coating applied only lasted a couple years (if even that) before it completely wears out and virtually becomes a regular stanchion.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:31 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

TTC is testing out antibacterial copper poles on 8 select vehicles on a trial basis. To determine workability and effectiveness. 

Another nitpick, the presser only mentions it being effective against bacteria. Still a net win and worthwhile experiment, don’t get me wrong. But reading between the lines, if anyone is expecting this to somehow do anything one way or the other regarding coronavirus, I fear you’re mistaken.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shemar said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. We should've seen this coming...

I'm surprised the vaccination rate isn't better. I'd have figured they'd have achieved 95%. But perhaps it will improve now that it's clear that they are serious.

I really don't get it, why they push this mandate on essential services. Somehow these people were called the heroes before, now they're dirty. With the high percentage of fully vaccinated people in the city, the risk isnt that great, and these employees are not a high risk to the rest, and unvaccinated people can still freely travel on the TTC.

I say this as being fully vaccinated, I got the shots when it became my turn in the summer - no hesitation from me or my immediate family.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Based on the media release which Steve Munro has posted, service will be maintained on the following corridors despite a potential drop in the number of drivers available:

Wilson, Jane, Eglinton, Finch and Lawrence East, among others...

I believe that all the local news stations aired the clip.  Once Steve gets more details on what the potential service cuts will look like he will post them on his website.

7 hours ago, MK78 said:

I really don't get it, why they push this mandate on essential services. Somehow these people were called the heroes before, now they're dirty. With the high percentage of fully vaccinated people in the city, the risk isnt that great, and these employees are not a high risk to the rest, and unvaccinated people can still freely travel on the TTC.

I say this as being fully vaccinated, I got the shots when it became my turn in the summer - no hesitation from me or my immediate family.

They are paid with public money and the majority of people would want them vaccinated. If they don't like it, they could get a job in the private sector who's boss doesn't mandate vaccines. If there's no push from the board (who is voted in by the people), we'll never reach higher vaccination rates. I don't know what happened to the common law basics where the majority of people believes in something, then it should be law. I think if the majority of people think they should be vaccinated, they should be. It's time to stop bending over and pleasing the minority which the people loves doing these days.

Heroes put others over themselves. If they rather not have the jab instead of thinking to protect others from health risks doesn't make them heroes anymore. 

As time passes, the unvaccinated will continue to experience increased exposure. This leads to eventual possibility of hospitalization which is also funded with public money. I don't think it's wrong to impose this mandate. It one of the small but important factor in reducing health costs in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a "MUST" not only for TTC, but "ALL" systems.

Then There Should Be A Bill Requiring TTC and All Systems To Have More Washrooms For The Public Than There Is Now.

Been on buses and streetcars where the driver had to take a washroom break as well getting food and drink while on route due to the lack of time at the end or nothing to get there. When nature calls, you need to go ASP requiring finding a place to go.

Been caught a number of times having to go with nothing around or 15-20 minutes to a subway station with a washroom while on the subway.

Bill 27 Inclusion of Washroom Access for Toronto Transit Commission Drivers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ontario Superior Court denies ATU Local 113’s request for an injunction

Nov. 20, 2021

Today, the Ontario Superior Court denied ATU Local 113’s request for an injunction relating to the TTC’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (the “Policy”).

The next phase of the Policy goes into effect tomorrow, Nov. 21. TTC employees who remain unvaccinated or refuse to disclose their vaccination status by end of day today will be placed on leave. As of today, roughly 90 per cent of the agency’s 15,061 active employees have shared their COVID-19 vaccination status.

To date, the TTC has held 61 vaccination clinics for employees and customers. Almost 9,500 shots have been administered at these clinics.

See below for a statement from Rick Leary, TTC CEO:

Safety is a core value at the TTC. Ensuring the safety of our employees and our customers is the reason that we introduced the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy in September.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, the TTC has been a leader in safety – and we will continue to do all that we can to protect our community. From the moment an employee steps onto TTC property, it is our duty to do everything in our power to ensure their safety.

We know that getting vaccinated is one of the most important things that people can do to put the pandemic behind us. As an essential service, we need the TTC to be a safe place for everyone.

I want to thank all the employees who have complied with the Policy and I want to thank all our customers for their support. Together we will get through this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drum118 said:

Ontario Superior Court denies ATU Local 113’s request for an injunction

Nov. 20, 2021

Today, the Ontario Superior Court denied ATU Local 113’s request for an injunction relating to the TTC’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (the “Policy”).

The next phase of the Policy goes into effect tomorrow, Nov. 21. TTC employees who remain unvaccinated or refuse to disclose their vaccination status by end of day today will be placed on leave. As of today, roughly 90 per cent of the agency’s 15,061 active employees have shared their COVID-19 vaccination status.

To date, the TTC has held 61 vaccination clinics for employees and customers. Almost 9,500 shots have been administered at these clinics.

See below for a statement from Rick Leary, TTC CEO:

Safety is a core value at the TTC. Ensuring the safety of our employees and our customers is the reason that we introduced the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy in September.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, the TTC has been a leader in safety – and we will continue to do all that we can to protect our community. From the moment an employee steps onto TTC property, it is our duty to do everything in our power to ensure their safety.

We know that getting vaccinated is one of the most important things that people can do to put the pandemic behind us. As an essential service, we need the TTC to be a safe place for everyone.

I want to thank all the employees who have complied with the Policy and I want to thank all our customers for their support. Together we will get through this.

I'm glad about this court decision. Transit is one of the highest risk environments for covid to spread and seeing a union oppose vaccine mandates really tells us a sign that this union does not care about its workers, allowing them to be put in harm's way, and casting a negative light on the image of unions to the general public.

Remember: this is the same union that opposed driverless operation on the Scarborough RT. While unions in general are useful to improving the working conditions for employees, this is not one of them.

Also, regarding service cuts relating to unvaccinated employees, how much of an extent is this affecting other transit authorities across the country? Why is the media so fixated on the situation in Toronto but not elsewhere?

24 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Remember: this is the same union that opposed driverless operation on the Scarborough RT. While unions in general are useful to improving the working conditions for employees, this is not one of them.

What exactly is the relationship between the vaccine mandate and automation of the SRT? A union is supposed to look out for their employees. It all boils down to "Give a man an inch and he'll take a mile." If they roll over and do nothing when management tries to introduce automation into the job, it emboldens management to try saving on the costs of labour elsewhere, and weakens the union's position if they want to object to management doing such a thing later on down the line.

Remember, if the SRT had been built as originally planned, it would've run with CLRV cars and there would've been no hint of driverless operation in the first place.

In my opinion as a rider, I think that driverless trains are a terrible idea. It makes sense that on a vehicle that can carry so many people, there should be someone on board trained in emergency protocols, because the general public can not, and should not, be trusted to evacuate themselves, attend to a passenger going through a medical emergency, or anything of the sort.

15 hours ago, T3G said:

What exactly is the relationship between the vaccine mandate and automation of the SRT? A union is supposed to look out for their employees. It all boils down to "Give a man an inch and he'll take a mile." If they roll over and do nothing when management tries to introduce automation into the job, it emboldens management to try saving on the costs of labour elsewhere, and weakens the union's position if they want to object to management doing such a thing later on down the line.

Remember, if the SRT had been built as originally planned, it would've run with CLRV cars and there would've been no hint of driverless operation in the first place.

In my opinion as a rider, I think that driverless trains are a terrible idea. It makes sense that on a vehicle that can carry so many people, there should be someone on board trained in emergency protocols, because the general public can not, and should not, be trusted to evacuate themselves, attend to a passenger going through a medical emergency, or anything of the sort.

You realize the aim of management is to operate a cost-efficient service? The TTC isn’t some make-work project.

When it comes to safety, TTC subway operating staff are the worst in industry. These are the people who think it is safe to drag a customer from a train, which says a lot about their fitness to work. They deserve to be ignored.

15 hours ago, T3G said:

What about the union looking out for the employees that complied?

There’s about eight of us for every one of them. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

What about the union looking out for the employees that complied?

There’s about eight of us for every one of them. ?

None of what I wrote was against the vaccine mandate. It was in response to anyfong's assertion that the union is as bad for resisting automation as it is for resisting the vaccine mandate.

1 hour ago, TTC103 said:

You realize the aim of management is to operate a cost-efficient service? The TTC isn’t some make-work project.

That's all well and good, but I can reply to that by saying that the aim of the union is to protect the interests of their dues-paying members, not that of management. This is what they exist for. The most cost-efficient service would, of course, be attained if workers' rights didn't come into the picture at all.

1 hour ago, TTC103 said:

When it comes to safety, TTC subway operating staff are the worst in industry. These are the people who think it is safe to drag a customer from a train, which says a lot about their fitness to work. They deserve to be ignored.

Am I understanding correctly that your argument is that, because there are some TTC operators who misbehave, the union shouldn't protest when someone suggests automating their jobs? Not sure I find your stance very convincing, if that is the case.

30 minutes ago, T3G said:

None of what I wrote was against the vaccine mandate. It was in response to anyfong's assertion that the union is as bad for resisting automation as it is for resisting the vaccine mandate.

That's all well and good, but I can reply to that by saying that the aim of the union is to protect the interests of their dues-paying members, not that of management. This is what they exist for. The most cost-efficient service would, of course, be attained if workers' rights didn't come into the picture at all.

Am I understanding correctly that your argument is that, because there are some TTC operators who misbehave, the union shouldn't protest when someone suggests automating their jobs? Not sure I find your stance very convincing, if that is the case.

It was the union that misbehaved. They deliberately edited a video of an incident to conceal the fact that one of their members nearly killed someone. Then they falsely claimed that said member kept that customer safe (when the video clearly shows the opposite). 

The subway will not be safe when workers who put their ego over the customer’s safety, as there are at TTC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 7:19 PM, drum118 said:

This is a "MUST" not only for TTC, but "ALL" systems.

Then There Should Be A Bill Requiring TTC and All Systems To Have More Washrooms For The Public Than There Is Now.

Been on buses and streetcars where the driver had to take a washroom break as well getting food and drink while on route due to the lack of time at the end or nothing to get there. When nature calls, you need to go ASP requiring finding a place to go.

Been caught a number of times having to go with nothing around or 15-20 minutes to a subway station with a washroom while on the subway.

Bill 27 Inclusion of Washroom Access for Toronto Transit Commission Drivers

Why cant they put portable washrooms at the end of the route? They do that for the street car operators. Rent a washroom trailer and give operators keys so that random people can't use it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TTC's proposed 2022 budget returns service to pre-pandemic levels with no fare increase

Dec. 13, 2021

TTC staff today released a proposed 2022 operating budget that returns service to pre-pandemic levels with no fare increase.

The $2.24-billion operating budgets for both conventional and Wheel-Trans services will fund restoration of service to 100 per cent of pre-pandemic levels on the conventional network with some room for new and enhanced TTC programs.

The budget includes funding for:
• The opening of Line 5, Eglinton-Crosstown in 2022 and preparing for the opening of Line 6 Finch West in 2023.
• Restoration of full pre-pandemic service levels in the second quarter of 2022.
• Increased Wheel-Trans service to meet demand.
• A Service Plan reset and Ridership Reacquisition Strategy, critical to serve anticipated post-pandemic changes in transit demand and travel patterns;
• Completion of the 10-Year Fare Collection Strategy to modernize the TTC’s fare collection system;
• Innovation and Sustainability review focused on embedding innovation, environmental sustainability and climate change resilience at the TTC; and
• Enhanced diversity, anti-Black racism and mental health training, allowing the TTC to be a leader in inclusive and accessible transit service.

This year’s share of the $12 billion 2022-2031 capital budget plan is approximately $1.7 billion, comprising $1.2 billion for infrastructure projects and $525 million for vehicle projects. Consistent with the 10-year Capital Plan, approximately 60 per cent is dedicated to state of good repair with the balance allowing the TTC to begin or continue work on critical service improvement projects and to complete vehicle-related procurements.

The capital budget report also updates the TTC’s 15-year, $37 billion Capital Investment Plan (CIP) and introduces the TTC’s first Real Estate Investment Plan, a 15-year strategic roadmap that supports the CIP.

Highlights of the TTC’s 2022-2031 Capital Budget and Plan include:
• Funding for essential safety and state of good repair capital work to ensure safety and reliability of our system
• Funding to meet legislative requirements related to full accessibility of the system by 2025
• Advancing delivery of the fleet procurement strategy for the procurement of 60 Streetcars, 300 hybrid buses, 300 battery-electric buses and 70 Wheel-Trans vehicles
• Continuing work on three major capacity improvement projects (Bloor-Yonge, Line 1 and Line 2)
• Facilitating business modernization such as SAP; Maximo; Vision, Wheel-Trans and Stations Transformation
• Enhancing coordination of activities and resourcing within the major projects group where 27 projects or programs account for nearly three quarters of the total $12.1 billion Capital Plan

The TTC Board will hold a special virtual meeting regarding the 2022 Operating and Capital Budgets on Mon., Dec. 20, 2021. The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. and be streamed live on the Official TTC YouTube Channel.

The TTC Board will conduct the meeting using an online video conferencing platform. During the COVID-19 pandemic, TTC Board meetings are being conducted by electronic means.

The public can register to make deputations by submitting a request to commissionservices@ttc.ca

Deputations will be by way of written correspondence or by telephone only, and more information will be provided upon registration. The deadline to register is Fri., Dec. 17, 12 noon.

Details of the virtual meeting are as follows:
Date: Mon., Dec. 20, 2021.
Time: 10 a.m.
Location: Live-streamed on the Official TTC YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialTTCchannel