TTC in the news

buschic

7 hours ago, MK78 said:

You're going by on the word of a forum poster, who heard it from an employee. Like we have never heard an employee or coworker exaggerate or just make up crap in order to make themselves look good, or to make the company they work look stupid.

Unless its documented somewhere that the company gave the security officers knives with the suggestion they be used in making suspects comply, it's simply hearsay.

Uh, the security company was a subcontractor to either the property management company maintaining the building or for the employer I was working at, at the time.  I don’t know who signed the contract.  I do know that nobody should ever escalate anything to the point they’re the one starting a knife fight.  That should be pretty obvious to everyone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MK78 said:

Unless its documented somewhere that the company gave the security officers knives with the suggestion they be used in making suspects comply, it's simply hearsay.

I should be cooking dinner and not going on an archaeological dig in the junk boxes in my basement on the off chance but I got lucky so here you are:

C22C94D3-717B-4069-8529-C33119459FDE.thumb.jpeg.d60739bd62d603d75c390459bfbf17a9.jpeg

I honestly don’t know what they told their employees to do or not do with these.  Anyways, there were enough of those floating around even I was able to score one and considered it a win over spending my own money buying a Leatherman or Gerber Multitool for taking apart computers, stripping cable etc. but it got put in the box once I got better quality tools back in the day.

Now I’ve partially redacted the name because the place is still in business apparently and I’m going to be kind and hope they cleaned up their act between the late 90s and now.

Any more proof than this is going to require a time machine which I do not have.

I don't dispute they were given the branded pocket knife/multi tool as you showed in the picture.

I am just hesitant to believe that a company would even suggest to its security personnel to use them to force compliance.

45 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I don't dispute they were given the branded pocket knife/multi tool as you showed in the picture.

I am just hesitant to believe that a company would even suggest to its security personnel to use them to force compliance.

I don’t know what the guy’s company said to him.  All I can tell you is what I said in my original post: those were given out over the Christmas holidays and this one guy was showing us his and what he said when he did.  It stuck with me ever since which is why the comment about fly by night operations and that it’s a good thing that the TTC operator didn’t encounter someone like that guy who thought it’s ok to carry and use a knife.

Companies spring for branded merchandise and give stuff away to employees (this case), customers and promotional (probably how some of us were able to get some by asking around a bit), tradeshow giveaways etc. then write it off as a business expense.  For me, it was useful to have on the job to take computers apart for a round of upgrades they were getting during Y2K compliance prep.  But handing minimum wage security guards branded multitool knives in branded belt holsters even well intentioned is just an open invitation for things to go horribly wrong.  Should’ve stuck to branded coffee cups or something harmless like that. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:42 PM, MK78 said:

The company need not say anything beyond "Merry Christmas". They gave a branded knife to security guards, what did they think would happen? Obviously, they weren't thinking at all.

"Oh, we never said for them to carry it around on the job" wouldn't help. Neither would "We told them to never wear or use it while on the job." Because it's pretty obvious that some security guards would totally wear it on the job. And that's the test, did they do something that a prudent person wouldn't do? Jury wouldn't take long to decide an injury suit in favour of plaintiff.

• Like 1

CBC News: Federal government to spend $12B on Toronto, Hamilton transit

My hope is that with the additional funding for the Ontario Line, Scarborough Subway Extension, Yonge North Subway Extension, Eglinton LRT West Extension (Crosstown seemed like a branding/marketing tool and a bit redundant) and Hamilton LRT the existing plans aren't locked in place and fast-tracked.  In the case of the Ontario Line the extra funding could find a solution to the MSF that won't be as disruptive to the Thorncliffe Park neighbourhood and possibly find an alignment through Leslieville/Riverside that will appease the residents (and subsequently the Liberal voters in Toronto-Danforth).

2 hours ago, Gil said:

My hope is that with the additional funding for the Ontario Line, Scarborough Subway Extension, Yonge North Subway Extension, Eglinton LRT West Extension (Crosstown seemed like a branding/marketing tool and a bit redundant) and Hamilton LRT the existing plans aren't locked in place and fast-tracked.  In the case of the Ontario Line the extra funding could find a solution to the MSF that won't be as disruptive to the Thorncliffe Park neighbourhood and possibly find an alignment through Leslieville/Riverside that will appease the residents (and subsequently the Liberal voters in Toronto-Danforth).

Was reading about the funding envelope being provided. 

Regarding Eglinton West and Scarborough subway extension, the contracts for tunnelling has already been issued as of March to First Negotiators Proponent. 

https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/First-Negotiations-Proponents-Identified-Scarborough-Subway-Eglinton-Crosstown-West-Advance-Tunnel/

The alignment between Renforth and Pearson International Airport is still to be confirmed since the Mississauga Transitway is built and the original plan didn't account for this section. Being pretty long and most of the line underground regarding Eglinton instead of the original surface plan. Of course with underground stations, only the major transfer points will be accommodated. 

Ontario Line: I think it has always been a challenge building the right infrastructure for an area already built up. Being on the books for decades having to provide additional capacity beyond the Yonge line. 

Overall, have to try and figure out how to stretch the funding envelope especially with how transit in Toronto is always stalled by politics. 

5 hours ago, Gil said:

In the case of the Ontario Line the extra funding could find a solution to the MSF that won't be as disruptive to the Thorncliffe Park neighbourhood and possibly find an alignment through Leslieville/Riverside that will appease the residents (and subsequently the Liberal voters in Toronto-Danforth).

Or they could use TTC gauge and run subways instead of heavy rail. This would eliminate the need for a yard in Thorncliffe and the MSF for Line 2 and OL would be at Greenwood and Obico yard. Even Andy Byford said he doesn't see the 'relief-line" utilizing any vehicle other than the TR's. 

But I'm just super sayin'    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gil said:

The point is to reduce the amount of money coming from Queen's Park, not expand spending.

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The alignment between Renforth and Pearson International Airport is still to be confirmed since the Mississauga Transitway is built and the original plan didn't account for this section. Being pretty long and most of the line underground regarding Eglinton instead of the original surface plan. Of course with underground stations, only the major transfer points will be accommodated. 

It has nothing to do with the Mississauga Transitway. The updated EA has already address that. Renforth Station would sit below grade, likely similar level as the transitway platform. The plans for the location of the Pearson Terminal isn't finalized, so no alignment can be finalized till later

• 4 weeks later...

Up to 100 future weekend closures eliminated as TTC completes final 10-day closure between St George and St Andrew stations

June 4, 2021

Last week, the TTC completed its third 10-day closure on the portion of Line 1 between St George and St Andrew stations. The closure, which took place from May 17-26, allowed the TTC to take advantage of continued low ridership to make significant progress on critical state-of-good repair work.

The work accomplished during the three 10-day shutdowns will allow the TTC to eliminate between 75-100 planned weekend closures over the next few years as well as eliminate the need to bypass Museum and Queen's Park stations for up to two years.

With the completion of this series of closures, TTC commuters can now look forward to significantly reduced early access, weekend and platform closures. Customers who were surveyed while travelling through the area during the closures reported overwhelming support for the TTC's innovative approach to completing the work quickly and reducing inconvenience.

During the three 10-day closures in March, April and May, the TTC removed and replaced approximately 44,000 sq. ft. of ceiling in the affected stations. Repair work was also completed on the flooring at Museum, Queen's Park and Osgoode stations.

"We've eliminated up to 100 future TTC closures by getting this important work done during the pandemic when ridership levels have been lower," said Mayor John Tory. "Thank you so much to our TTC workers for getting this job accelerated and done during this unprecedented emergency. Thank you to our TTC riders for their patience as we completed these important repairs, including much-needed asbestos removal. This work will ensure we continue to have a safe and reliable transit system for years to come and that we are ready to welcome riders back as we safely reopen."

"Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, the TTC has rapidly accelerated extensive system upgrades and state-of-good-repair projects on our subway network to minimize future disruption for transit riders," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson. "This innovative approach has significantly reduced the need for planned closures, with up to 100 weekend closures avoided over the next few years. Congratulations to CEO Rick Leary and the entire TTC team for this impressive accomplishment. I would also like to thank our TTC riders for their continued patience and understanding."

"By doing this work while ridership is low, we've been able to spare our customers years of disruption and inconvenience," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "I'm very pleased that we were able to accomplish this much in a relatively short period of time - we've done approximately 18 months of work in 30 days. I want to thank everyone involved for their hard work, and thank our customers for their patience."

During the most recent closure, the TTC removed asbestos from the southbound platforms of St Patrick and Queen's Park stations, which completes asbestos abatement in this area. In March and April, asbestos was removed from the northbound platforms of these stations.

Additional work done includes the installation of higher capacity traction power cables, and the removal of old cables. TTC crews also installed new communication infrastructure, including additional Train Door Monitoring conduits for future OPTO implementation at Osgoode and Museum stations.

By completing planned maintenance ahead of schedule, the TTC can now turn its attention to architectural refinishing and modernization of the station platforms. That contract is expected to be tendered later this year for 2022 construction.

The TTC thanks its Board, local City Councillors, and the essential workers based along University Ave., for their assistance and patience with the closures this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

I would take it with a grain of salt considering their track record and credibility. Especially with the article you posted, somehow they don't know that the reports exist regarding York Region Transit and Mississauga taking over select services along with charging of fares.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 12:37 AM, GTAmissions1 said:

I would take it with a grain of salt considering their track record and credibility. Especially with the article you posted, somehow they don't know that the reports exist regarding York Region Transit and Mississauga taking over select services along with charging of fares.

23 hours ago, Matt said:

^ They also don't know the difference between "fare" and "fair" apparently either...

BlogTO, Toronto’s home of misinformation and we don’t know what we’re talking about 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, Ed T. said:

For a second I had hopes that King would be aqua/brick red, Rosedale light green/black, Dundas yellow/black, etc. Nope!

...how about a Garfield store to complete the scene?  I know what you mean, though.  Other than that strip of tile at the top of the walls at Queen, Eglinton's the last stand.

I wonder if anybody got pictures of the tiles coming down/getting covered up at Davisville in the early 80s and the large construction project to add the big enclosed area bridging the platforms that replaced the narrow bridge that connected them.  I saw the project get done first hand but I've never seen any pictures of it since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

TTC disinfects its buses frequently to fight COVID-19. But the agency’s own data shows the cleaning might be making things worse  (alternate link)

At what point can we concentrate on what works and discontinue the time, money, and effort on things that are known to be ineffective or irrelevant?

They also do the streetcars, which is funny cuz they havent been doing the 503 at bingham loop since the construction is forcing replacement buses, but the guy that does it just sits there in the bus stop all morning lol...