TTC in the news

buschic

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The TTC made the news on August 11, 1974 and the CBC's done a nice little throwback piece on it today:

TTC Strike

About the only thing they didn't show from the good old days was a trolleybus.

There’s a whole cascade of linked articles to the CBC archives worth reading...literal goldmine

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MK78 said:

What if someone got injured? Why was it not fixed? Imagin what else is brushed under the rug in terms of safety. I hope someone lost their job over it. 

As condition of COVID-19 bailout, Ontario asks TTC and others to consider private ‘microtransit’ in place of little-used bus routes

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/08/17/as-condition-of-covid-19-bailout-ontario-asks-ttc-and-others-to-consider-private-microtransit-in-place-of-little-used-bus-routes.html

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

As condition of COVID-19 bailout, Ontario asks TTC and others to consider private ‘microtransit’ in place of little-used bus routes

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/08/17/as-condition-of-covid-19-bailout-ontario-asks-ttc-and-others-to-consider-private-microtransit-in-place-of-little-used-bus-routes.html

Looking at the ridership, the least-used TTC bus routes by far are 400, 402, 403, 404, 405, and 407. Perhaps they could use paid taxis instead ...

That was easy!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

Looking at the ridership, the least-used TTC bus routes by far are 400, 402, 403, 404, 405, and 407. Perhaps they could use paid taxis instead ...

That was easy!

It would probably work on some of the Blue Night Routes and some of the Branch routes that see limited service 

edit: Accoridng to BlogTO Uber might be replacing the less popular routes 

3 hours ago, John Oke said:

It would probably work on some of the Blue Night Routes and some of the Branch routes that see limited service 

I wouldn’t put two much faith in what BlogTO says. It is all speculation at this point.

On the topic of microtransit, I question if any of the TTC’s conventional routes meet the conditions for microtransit to be more efficient that conventional fixed-route services. According to Jarrett Walker, a transportation consultant, demand-responsive transportation systems rarely carry more than 5 passengers per vehicle hour (see link), which I can’t imagine too many routes meet.

The most plausible locations for demand-responsive transit (depending on ridership) would probably be for routes that service areas with only one or two points of access, where the route it is replacing is the ‘last mile’, and does not compete with another fixed route. Examples could include the 55 (only trips starting/ending in warren park, to avoid competing with the 35), the 93 (only trips to/from Parkwoods village, and not within walking distance from the 91), or the 162 (only for trips to/from the Bridle Path).

https://humantransit.org/2019/08/what-is-microtransit-for.html

I find the requirements for discussions regarding different governance models to be more interesting, and I hope that it leads to better coordination across municipal boundaries. Such changes could lead to efficiency gains by addressing corridors where service is duplicated, such as on Bloor West, Burnhamthorpe, Dufferin North, Don Mills and Victoria Park.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Oke said:

According to a ‘newspaper’ comprised of coddled trust fund babies and hipsters.

when I need the latest trends in skinny jeans and axe throwing, I’ll call them. Otherwise, it’s counterproductive spitballing by ignoramuses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TTC103 said:

According to Jarrett Walker, a transportation consultant, demand-responsive transportation systems rarely carry more than 5 passengers per vehicle hour (see link), which I can’t imagine too many routes meet.

I think that's already higher than TTC's lowest route. Looking at the 2014 data (which I've already got in a sortable sheet), the lowest route/hour is the 99 Arrow Road, as 12 riders per vehicle hour on Saturdays. Checking the 2018 data, that route had risen to 20 riders per hour, minimum.

There's Blue Night data for the 2018. The lowest ridership is the already-cancelled 365 with 20 passengers per weeknight. They use one bus for just under 3 hours. So even that's over 7 hours per vehicle hour - and already cancelled for exceptionally low ridership.

That leaves the 50 riders on the 384 Sheppard West. It uses 2 buses, for 2.5 hours. So 10 passengers per vehicle hour. By that standard, there's not much money to be saved.

All that leaves is the 400-series routes. Does anyone know the ridership on those ... though wasn't the whole point of making those fixed routes, rather than regular Wheeltrans service and taxis, to save money?

Probably more of an issue for other more remote transit agencies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I think that's already higher than TTC's lowest route. Looking at the 2014 data (which I've already got in a sortable sheet), the lowest route/hour is the 99 Arrow Road, as 12 riders per vehicle hour on Saturdays. Checking the 2018 data, that route had risen to 20 riders per hour, minimum.

Even if 99 was below the ridership threshold to warrant conversion to microtransit I don't think they would do it. 99, and 171 for that matter, are essentially employee shuttles. Whatever regular riders they pick up is looked at as a bonus. I would even go as far as to compare the cost of operating these two routes to the cost that systems like MiWay and YRT pay for their fleet of cars used for operator transportation between the garages and where they start/end their shifts.

• Like 1

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/08/ttc-designing-all-new-subway-trains/

Don't know how accurate this article is. 60 new streetcars is correct if they intend to max out the current capacity of the 3 streetcar garages (not including Hillcrest).

62 new subway trains to replace the T1s (that's 1 to 1 replacement) but that won't be enough for the Line 2 extension once it opens in 2030 because with the current  number of trains, it is only enough to run full service to Kennedy and alternate trains to Sheppard McCowan as Steve Munro stated many times.

3 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Don't know how accurate this article is. 60 new streetcars is correct if they intend to max out the current capacity of the 3 streetcar garages (not including Hillcrest).

62 new subway trains to replace the T1s (that's 1 to 1 replacement) but that won't be enough for the Line 2 extension once it opens in 2030 because with the current  number of trains, it is only enough to run full service to Kennedy and alternate trains to Sheppard McCowan as Steve Munro stated many times.

Blogto shouldn't be used as a source for news

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 4:23 PM, Bus_Medic said:

According to a ‘newspaper’ comprised of coddled trust fund babies and hipsters.

when I need the latest trends in skinny jeans and axe throwing, I’ll call them. Otherwise, it’s counterproductive spitballing by ignoramuses.

How many people could you fit in a promaster with one wheelchair configuration?

Could you use those for mini transit?

21 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

According to the RFI documents, the TTC is looking at two potential scenarios, depending on how the funding comes around:

Scenario 1: A base order of 18 6-car trains, a first option of 62 6-car trains, a second option of 7 6-car trains and a third option of 25 6-car trains

Scenario 2: A base order of 80 6-car trains, a first option of 7 6-car trains, and a second option of 25 6-car trains.

18 trains is the top-up for the YUS once ATC/ATO goes into full operation with all of its possible improvements and 62 trains replaces the T1s. If I didn't know any better, the 7 trains is to increase the B-D service with the opening of the Scarborough Extension (or replace the Sheppard fleet?), and the 25 trains is for the Downtown Relief Line.

Interestingly, they also talk about a potential "D" car which would be inserted to allow for 7- or 5-car trainsets throughout the documents, but there doesn't seem to be an mention of it when it comes time to quoting for the bid.

Dan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Why are they still tendering the option for 25 6-car trains if we already know the DRL will become the Ontario Line and won't use the same types of trains?

That's why it's an option. TTC (or Metrolinx on TTC's behalf) does not have to order the extra 25 trainsets if the DRL ends up using non-conventional trainsets ordered through Metrolinx's P3.

However, including the option on the current subway tender allows the TTC to lock in the contract price for the larger subway car order and standardize the equipment used on that line with the rest of the subway fleet, which will save both up-front capital costs and ongoing maintenance costs if they do end up proceeding with conventional heavy rail technology.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Why are they still tendering the option for 25 6-car trains if we already know the DRL will become the Ontario Line and won't use the same types of trains?

It seems that you don't appear to understand the meaning of an option. Which means a preset price for addition orders of a specific price for a specific amount by a certain deadline. There is no needs for the TTC to exercise the option ever. E.g. The 100 car option for the TTC streetcars was never exercised. Originally 204 is a base order for an option of up to 400 more for Transit city. 300 was transfer to metrolinx. TTC could only fit 60 more in the current carhouses they could have ordered 60 but in the end, no options were exercised.

As to why have an option for DRL trains. Who knows what would happen. Maybe the OL would be cancelled or reverted to using regular subway trains. Having that option there simply safeguards and locks down the price. TTC didn't have an option for last 22 TRs trains and ended up paying significantly more for the last 12. THe order was 39 trains + 21 option. They added 10 more and then another 10. Finally converted the last 4 6-train consist into 6 4-train consist .

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Options cost little to nothing.

And who knows what trains the Ontario Line will use - that's up to the PPP bidding on the job. Who might well decide that the specified capacity, and their own calculations, that they might as well use a cheaper, proven, model. Presumably each of the bidders (usually three) will select their own vehicle manufacturer (and model) to be part of the team and do maintenance.

Who knows what project TTC will want trains for by the time deliveries of the first 87 trains are complete. I heard comments about subways to Mississauga this week ...

12 hours ago, Orion V said:

In TTC news today in the world of weird and crazy stunts...

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/08/guy-climbs-moving-ttc-bus-instagram-followers/

Is it the design of the LFS rear that makes them easier to climb than a VII? More areas to grab onto and the height is lower.

Harder or not, it's not like it hasn't happened before. https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/11/man-spotted-surfing-atop-ttc-bus-toronto/