TTC in the news

buschic

8 hours ago, drum118 said:

Bombardier claim from day one the new fleet wouldn't squeal,....

Where the hell do you keep making this stuff up from?

Bombardier has never claimed that. Hell, doing so would open them up to lawsuits. What they claimed, and what the TTC echoed, was that the cars wouldn't be as loud as the old cars, and gave off a huge list of reasons why that would be the case.

Dan

16 hours ago, Tramguy said:

Doesn't matter where I live.  I have empathy for people not being able to sleep at night.    Too bad empathy lacking in your persona!

Since I, too, have stood at the corner of Sumach and King and heard pretty much nothing as Flexities took the curves in both directions, I too am skeptical of just how much squealing there is. I assume that the "unbearable" sound that Wong-Tam describes in her letter (was "shaking the building down" also there?) is a severe exaggeration.

This is obviously not a noise that's "unbearable" to the populance generally. Streecars squeal going around Long Branch loop; I can hear them in the middle of the night with the windows closed, and I'm some 700m as the crow flies from the loop. There are a lot of people living closer than that--some very, very close--yet they are not complaining of unbearable noise.

The first thing learned, when dealing with the general public, is that the customer is not always right. The second is that there's a small percentage of the population cannot be satisfied no matter what. So I tell them that, sorry, I cannot help them. I may or may not have empathy for them, depending on how reasonable or unreasonable their requirements might be. Sometimes the rules are, in my opinion, not entirely reasonable or flexible. So, sorry buddy, rules say you're screwed. But there are some people whom the world can't satisfy.  So, sorry buddy, I can't provide you with a pet rainbow-coloured unicorn, and the rest of the world can't, either.

I also find it curious that, while the occasional squealing streetcar is "unbearable", anyone living by King and Sumach are in the shadow of the Adelaide/Richmond ramps to the DVP. There is heavy traffic using it at all times of the day, and no doubt through the night. That includes truck traffic that would legitimately shake buildings. I am puzzled why the resident is so exercised by the streetcars, when the traffic noise and vibrations have to be as bad.

(They may be suffering from "Streetcar Syndrome", which would be similar to "Wind Turbine Syndrome".)

• Thanks 8

22 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I also find it curious that, while the occasional squealing streetcar is "unbearable", anyone living by King and Sumach are in the shadow of the Adelaide/Richmond ramps to the DVP. There is heavy traffic using it at all times of the day, and no doubt through the night. That includes truck traffic that would legitimately shake buildings. I am puzzled why the resident is so exercised by the streetcars, when the traffic noise and vibrations have to be as bad.

(They may be suffering from "Streetcar Syndrome", which would be similar to "Wind Turbine Syndrome".)

Thank you. There are a few expansion joints on that Adelaide/Richmond overpasses; surprised those haven't caused complaints, with so many cars going over them. That in addition to the thousands of dump trucks that head to the Port Lands day in day out, which if anything cause more issues (hazard for peds, cyclists, and also the mud and gravel that they leave behind them coming out of sites). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

Let’s keep this on topic please. Noise complaints have been made, end of story.

In what way is discussion about noise complaints about streetcars operated by the TTC made in the news off topic for a topic called "TTC in the news"?

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

In what way is discussion about noise complaints about streetcars operated by the TTC made in the news off topic for a topic called "TTC in the news"?

Because it is getting heated, people are getting upset. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Given the article came out almost 2 weeks ago, and there's been so many other TTC news articles since then - surely that topic shouldn't be dominating the discussion since then - particularly given the observations of many here, is that it's fake news!

5 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

Because it is getting heated, people are getting upset. 

Seems more like 5 people living in that apartment beside the intersection are the ones complaining. 

Everyone can't be pleased. There's a difference between 1% and 40% of the population in the area. We can't simply stand by a few people's complains all the time. 

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Seems more like 5 people living in that apartment beside the intersection are the ones complaining. 

Everyone can't be pleased. There's a difference between 1% and 40% of the population in the area. We can't simply stand by a few people's complains all the time. 

Not talking  about the residents, talking about members of the board 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Not talking  about the residents, talking about members of the board 

If their point is valid, then they certainly can object to opinions arguing for the opposite side. Especially if they have experience or some sort of relationship with the topic. 

And nobody is getting heated, this isn't some sightings thread dumpster fire. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 8:22 AM, smallspy said:

Where the hell do you keep making this stuff up from?

Bombardier has never claimed that. Hell, doing so would open them up to lawsuits. What they claimed, and what the TTC echoed, was that the cars wouldn't be as loud as the old cars, and gave off a huge list of reasons why that would be the case.

Dan

If you attended the various TTC meetings from day one both at monthly meeting and out side, you would have heard that comment from both TTC a BBD a number of times. Standing with media personnel on the night of testing, they stated so much for not squealing like I did as noted above. Since its not in the contract, there would be no lawsuits over the squeal contrary being stated since it a minor issues like a lot of hot air that has been spoken since then by BBD. 

53 minutes ago, drum118 said:

If you attended the various TTC meetings from day one both at monthly meeting and out side, you would have heard that comment from both TTC a BBD a number of times. Standing with media personnel on the night of testing, they stated so much for not squealing like I did as noted above. Since its not in the contract, there would be no lawsuits over the squeal contrary being stated since it a minor issues like a lot of hot air that has been spoken since then by BBD. 

I did attend many of those meetings Dave. I even managed to speak with the engineers at the demo of the mockups.

Not once did anyone ever say that the new cars would be silent. Not once.

It doesn't matter if it was in the contract or not, if those words were attributed to the company by someone who works for them in an official capacity than they could be held responsible for them. Thus it would be extremely irresponsible for someone to actually say that. And again - they never stated that the new cars wouldn't squeal, but rather that it would be reduced because X, Y and Z.

Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

What a jackass ?

IMG-20200403-WA0004.jpg

In all fairness i think that what he's trying to say is that it doesn't need to be 10 or 15 or 17 or whatever the number. It's not to distract them from driving the bus safely. Just comes across as not so nice. 

I still think blocking off cab cars is a good idea, but then you put more people in less cars.  At least the the TR's have closed cabs. 

No, what he's saying is that us operators are just dumb bus drivers and that we're unable to operate a bus safely and keep track of how many passengers are on the bus. Nevermind that by keeping track of passengers in the bus were trying to keep passengers and ourselves safe. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

No, what he's saying is that us operators are just dumb bus drivers and that we're unable to operate a bus safely and keep track of how many passengers are on the bus. Nevermind that by keeping track of passengers in the bus were trying to keep passengers and ourselves safe. 

Isn't that sort of like enforcing fare payment? Some operators have stated, here, that they don't really bother to enforce fares, as it can result in too much friction. I realize that overcrowding can potentially have much more serious consequences these days than someone dropping 88 cents in pennies in the farebox ever was. But enforcement would be even more fraught. With boarding at rear doors, all you would have is the speaker?

Yes, you can bypass a stop, but that's not a perfect answer. For example, someone wants to get off at a stop, you need to stop. Or you have a safe number of people on the bus (say 12), and there are 10 people waiting at a busy stop. How do you let on only three or four?

So I don't think he's saying that operators are dumb. He's getting you out of a responsibility of trying to enforce safe loads, which is going to be a tricky job at best.

Suppose it was flipped around, and the op was responsible for making sure that everyone on the bus was at a safe distance from each other. How possible would it be to do that? Would that be something that operators and the union would even agree to?

• Like 2