TTC in the news

buschic

16 hours ago, 81-717 said:

From what I've heard it's not possible to upgrade Greenwood due to lack of available space - apparently it'd be easier to just build a new yard in the west end.

The issue with Greenwood is that there isn't enough space for the fleet that is already there. This is why they reactivated Vincent Yard, and why there has been so much pressure to build another yard. It would be no problem to rebuild Greenwood to handle 6-car fixed consists - just like they did with Wilson - but first they would need a place to store a decent amount of the fleet while the work was done. (Which also, incidentally, was a problem with Wilson during the first couple of phases of construction there, too.)

Now, that could change should they decide to move the heavy rebuild facility from there, but there doesn't seem to be much of an appetite to do that at this time.

12 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Which honestly brings into question why QP is fucking around with the Relief line plans.

It should be patently obvious why things have progressed as they have. Metrolinx has to show that they are better and smarter than everyone else, and the Ontario Line concept is just that. And they've managed to sell Queens Park on it, just as they've managed to sell them on so many other things over the years. (Ask yourself why buses with 20+ year design lives are getting replaced at 10 and 12 years, for instance.)

You won't want to take a look at the backlash from the residents along the line, though....

Dan

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/gta/2020/01/21/go-ttc-discount-fares-to-end-as-province-pulls-the-plug-on-funding.html

Doug Ford assaulting those commuters..

By the way, does that mean GO transit and the UP express cannot be utilized with TTC fare if there’s a disruption on the TTC? 

The co-fare being eliminated and GO-Protocol are not related. 

29 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Splendid. Back to spending $19.60 a day for commuting to school. Idiot. 

But Doug Ford's keeping more coins in your pocket!  Just remember that.

Anyways, going by my recent experience complaining about costs going up, expect to hear from the entitled baby boomers about how they don't use it means you shouldn't have it.  That by the way would be the people who benefitted from cheap tuition, cheap books, cheap energy, cheap food, cheap housing, plentiful jobs, good jobs, working careers centred over the longest run of post-WWII prosperity, good pensions, all that stuff that they took advantage of that they've then taken away from subsequent generations.

So remember when you tap your card at full price as your student debt piles up because unlike them, you're not getting a student grant you're getting a loan to pay back with interest, your digging a little deeper and flinging it on that pile of debt helps pay for the valuable service of subsidizing their heavily discounted seniors' tickets.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

The co-fare being eliminated and GO-Protocol are not related. 

I notice that the TTC was recommending taking the GO train at Kipling to skip the Bloor-Danforth mess.

I presume that you tap your Presto and it deducts TTC fare, not GO fare, automatically?

As a Presto user, how can you be sure that it's deducting the right fare? Especially beforehand, because after it's done its deductions, it will be a pain to try to get them corrected.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I notice that the TTC was recommending taking the GO train at Kipling to skip the Bloor-Danforth mess.

I presume that you tap your Presto and it deducts TTC fare, not GO fare, automatically?

As a Presto user, how can you be sure that it's deducting the right fare? Especially beforehand, because after it's done its deductions, it will be a pain to try to get them corrected.

So the fact that the budget went over what they foretasted means that more people used it! Doesn't this mean that this is a good thing? We encouraged people to take transit and it was successful! WOW. Now lets get rid of it. Great Idea! 

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I have been wondering this myself; the only way I could think of is not tapping in, and the fare inspector will note that you have tapped in before with the TTC on their handheld and that is the proof of payment? I could very well be totally off but I can't think of any way to tap onto GO under GO protocol. Even with my convoluted guess, what if your trip would originate at Kipling? Tap in at Kipling TTC and exit to the GO station?

Otherwise as you said it'd be pay GO fare upfront and then try to plead your case to customer service for a refund...  Before Presto, there proof of payment was simply a valid paper transfer. There's no official statement addressing this anywhere.

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

No. 

The assumption is that everyone transferring to GO at those stations, either has gotten there on TTC, or has a pass loaded. Then, if they are inspected, the inspectors know that a valid TTC fare on the card, is okay.

I suppose those that live near the stations and pay individual fares and instead walk to the GO platform, are out of luck - but I guess they can just tap into the TTC station, and then leave straight away, if they are that desperate to save the 60 cents difference between a TTC fare and a GO fare.

41 minutes ago, nfitz said:

No. 

The assumption is that everyone transferring to GO at those stations, either has gotten there on TTC, or has a pass loaded. Then, if they are inspected, the inspectors know that a valid TTC fare on the card, is okay.

I suppose those that live near the stations and pay individual fares and instead walk to the GO platform, are out of luck - but I guess they can just tap into the TTC station, and then leave straight away, if they are that desperate to save the 60 cents difference between a TTC fare and a GO fare.

So do they cover up or turn off the GO Presto readers, or have someone there telling you what's going on, or what? Because I expect that most users will just tap the GO readers.

Then again, where are you allowed to ride? Suppose you were going to take the subway from Kipling to Main Street. You get on the GO train and ride to Danforth?

The concept is simple. The execution has many ifs and gotchas.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 11:00 AM, Ed T. said:

Are you referring to when there is an emergency closure on the TTC subway and they say you can use part of the GO trains?  If thats what your referring too, then if you read FULLY the alerts/messages you MUST tap your presto on the TTC then you can board a GO train and you DON'T tap on the GO......    if a fare inspector checks fares he/she will see you tapped on at a legit TTC station and your fine. 

4 minutes ago, BusDude said:

Are you referring to when there is an emergency closure on the TTC subway and they say you can use part of the GO trains?  If thats what your referring too, then if you read FULLY the alerts/messages you MUST tap your presto on the TTC then you can board a GO train and you DON'T tap on the GO......    if a fare inspector checks fares he/she will see you tapped on at a legit TTC station and your fine. 

If the subway is not running and the station is closed how do you tap on the TTC?

3 minutes ago, Shaun said:

If the subway is not running and the station is closed how do you tap on the TTC?

When the subway is closed do to an emergency the stations in the affected area aren't locked down. The stations are open for people to use the buses at that station so you can tap your card.  For example if the subway is closed from main stn to broadview stn, and you need to get downtown, if your on the subway system then you can get off at main and just walk to Main Go and walk on a train.  If you haven't been on the subway/bus and go to main stn and the subway is closed due to a delay, then you MUST TAP YOUR PRESTO CARD AT MAIN STN, exit, walk to Main GO stn and walk on. 

4 hours ago, BusDude said:

Okay, hopefully there will be a notification somewhere we can read it. (Not everyone has a smartphone with updates.)

Now I wonder how far I could go on GO. Say I get to Kipling, and the subway is down. My destination is Main St. I get on the GO train at Kipling. Could I transfer at Union for a train bound for Danforth?