TTC in the news

buschic

16 hours ago, smallspy said:

I'm repeating a common refrain around these parts and elsewhere about the construction and finish of the subway stations on the older parts of the system.

It's an age old complaint that probably dates all the way back to 1954.  The oldest mention on record about the comparison to bathrooms that I've encountered was in this clip the CBC got out from 1966 a few years ago for the 50th anniversary of the Montreal Metro where Alan Yates paraphrases a newspaper columnist.  Personally, given how the Toronto subway was built on a tight budget, I think the TTC did a good job of pulling off some elegance in the simplicity while making the stations durable and easy to clean.  A lot of the fancier stuff they tried on the Spadina line hasn't stood up to time as well as what was built in Montreal, where being fully underground and sheltered from the elements is a big bonus, and hasn't been as durable as the earlier construction.

Frankly I couldn't give two fucks about it. But a lot of other people seem to get their knickers in a knot.

I wasn't keeping count but good to know what the official eff count score is.

Also: if that's really your takeaway from my comments in the HSR thread, I suspect that your comprehension abilities are not as strong as you think.

My comprehension abilities are just fine and I had several takeaways from your comments in that thread.  I also had several takeaways from your comments from several years ago (!) in the thread about the Kitchener LRT that came up while I was searching for information about something there.

23 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I wasn't keeping count but good to know what the official eff count score is.

My comprehension abilities are just fine and I had several takeaways from your comments in that thread.  I also had several takeaways from your comments from several years ago (!) in the thread about the Kitchener LRT that came up while I was searching for information about something there.

I feel blessed - nay, honoured - that someone feels the need to keep continual (and no doubt, live and ongoing) stats of my various posts over the years.

I'll strive to continue to give you something to look forward to.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off, before anybody gets their shirt in a knot with the pedantic ‘wrong topic’ teeth gnashing nonsense, I’m posting this here because it’s relevant because Bombardier and the predecessor companies that have owned the Thunder Bay plant have been a long standing supplier of vehicles to TTC going back many decades back all the way to the Can-Car days.

Bombardier Thunder Bay layoffs

Of course, it’s no surprise that a pro-business, private sector knows best, cut the waste conservative politician like Caroline Mulroney is saying Bombardier should keep the staff employed there even when there are no orders on the books as if she thinks the company should be paying people to sit around doing nothing once the existing manufacturing orders finish up.  Honestly, the city of Toronto needs to get off its duff and place that 60 car option order even if it means spending city money to pay for it. The streetcars are badly needed, the cost will only go up once the production line and supply chains wind down, and it’ll keep the plant working a bit longer while they look for other contracts. And if the Ontario government is serious about keeping the place working, maybe it’s time to stop blowing hot air and actually get a move on doing serious, substantial transit expansion and start placing orders for vehicles with staggered delivery dates as new lines and extensions open up.

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

But GO transit need more double decker cars to meet demand, and have they chosen rolling stock for smart track? Or GO REM? 

Mississauga LRT, Hamilton LRT, those would need rolling stock to keep Bombardier busy, no?

Nope!!.........Finch, Hamilton and Mississauga getting Alstom cars. Kingston doing Metrolinx and Edmonton orders.

I stand to be corrected, up to the P3 to order rolling stock for current system as well REM. Until that contract is awarded, no idea who, what and when will be required.

99 coaches still have to be built either by year end or early 2020. Don't see the last TTC car leaving the plant until first quarter of 2020.

The Ontario Line could go Innovia Platform out of Kingston and a huge mistake.

Based on BBD performance of the RT and streetcar, talk has been barring BBD from bidding on future contract. That up to Ford now, since he controls those area and has pushed funding for them down the road.

Where would TTC and Metrolinx be now if the SRT took place as plan with an opening in 2018?? A line with no cars with BBD doing them. Same can be said about the Sheppard LRT line.

BBD is on a P3 list to supply 45 cars for Calgary Green LRT line, with Siemens not on the list. Cars not require until 2026.

Since the US requires 70% buy America, leave Thunder Bay off the table.

Quebec said no to BBD for supplying rolling stock for Montreal REM.

Thunder Bay been on the chopping block since BBD bought it. Seats won or lost based on the work going to the plant before the election. Next election 2022.

Like I said, if the politicians want to keep the Thunder Bay plant working, they need to get off their collective rear ends and give the green light to a whole bunch of projects that have been sitting on various back burners in tried and true Toronto and Ontario style being dragged out for all eternity and get moving on them and get the vehicle orders placed.

The logical starting place would be the 60 car option order for more streetcars that have been badly needed for decades because the need for those is immediate and there's really minimal lead time on anything that needs to be done on the customer end to begin receiving them vs. building a good chunk of new projects before being able to start taking deliveries of new vehicles.  That would help tide the plant over until some of the later projects happen.

I truly can't believe the drivel coming out of Queen's Park.  They're surprised that idled factories lay of workers?  This is news to them?  And these conservatives talk about how great their business expertise is and how badly needed it is in government, yet they say their shocked that workers at idled factories get laid off when there are no customer orders to build.  So much for all that supposed vaunted business expertise if they don't grasp the simple basics like this.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They really should arrest these people running transit users over and throw them in jail or some sort of criminal charges. Otherwise people will continue to not take open streetcar doors seriously. Rich enough people can pay for any camera tickets whenever that gets installed,

It had to involve that streetcar, and it also happened conveniently near police headquarters and nearby hospitals... both lucky and unlucky at the same time. What were the odds of that

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They really should arrest these people running transit users over and throw them in jail or some sort of criminal charges. Otherwise people will continue to not take open streetcar doors seriously. Rich enough people can pay for any camera tickets whenever that gets installed,

Pretty sure the driver will get charged 

3 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It had to involve that streetcar, and it also happened conveniently near police headquarters and nearby hospitals... both lucky and unlucky at the same time. What were the odds of that

Pretty sure the driver will get charged 

They'll get charged against the HTA for something like careless driving and whatever applies, get some demerit points and a fine. Then it's up to the victim to sue for compensation related to injuries as a result. That doesn't cover all the near misses that happen everyday nor if the victim can't afford to sue.

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They'll get charged against the HTA for something like careless driving and whatever applies, get some demerit points and a fine. Then it's up to the victim to sue for compensation related to injuries as a result. That doesn't cover all the near misses that happen everyday nor if the victim can't afford to sue.

Who can't afford to sue? Tons of "ambulance chasing" law firms would take this on and get paid after settlement. 

7 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Considering how frequent drivers blowing past open streetcar doors is, I would assume the odds are not as low as one might hope. IIRC this isn't the first time an accident like this has happened at the same intersection, either.

I was on 4178 yesterday on an earlier trip where a woman wanted to get off the streetcar by the front doors. The rear doors had already been opened to stop traffic, but a driver blew past at high speeds. If the op hadn't kept the front doors closed there could have been an extremely nasty accident.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Who can't afford to sue? Tons of "ambulance chasing" law firms would take this on and get paid after settlement. 

Their business model is not to the benefit of their clients.

I have seen many of their statements of claim (which the public can see too if they dig enough) and they're basically throwing mud against the wall. So they need to take a large part of the settlements that they do get.

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Their business model is not to the benefit of their clients.

I have seen many of their statements of claim (which the public can see too if they dig enough) and they're basically throwing mud against the wall. So they need to take a large part of the settlements that they do get.

You're right but that doesn't mean someone can't hire them to sue. 

I wonder if they ever thought of an extendable barrier on the back of the vehicle, like on school buses with blinking lights.

Something flexible so it wouldn't damage a vehicle if hit. Someone would more likely stop if they saw a barrier being extended versus just flashing lights on the side of the vehicle or the open doors.

Either way, Toronto's poor implementation of street cars where passengers exit on live lines will always cause issues. It's too bad they didn't think of separated sections for the entire network, like on Spadina, etc.