TTC in the news

buschic

"On Saturday, May 25, the TTC is opening its doors to Bay Lower Station as part of Doors Open Toronto. This is the sixth time that the public will get to visit our “ghost station” below Bay Station. Bay Lower will be open between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. and usually attracts upwards of 5,000 curious visitors when featured during the popular city-wide event. Bay Lower has made numerous cameo appearances in many major motion pictures and television"

Maybe opening Lower Bay is the easiest location for TTC to do as they only move 2 subways on each side of the platform with minimal restricted areas.

Whereas opening any other properties like garages require much more staff and restricted areas with security.

It's way easier and closer to all the other Doors Open buildings. If they done a bus garage, it's out of the way and inconvenient to the general that would like to see multiple places in a day. Then it would be a terrible idea for the city to support a doors open event for a few transit fans.

22 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's way easier and closer to all the other Doors Open buildings. If they done a bus garage, it's out of the way and inconvenient to the general that would like to see multiple places in a day. Then it would be a terrible idea for the city to support a doors open event for a few transit fans.

Unless they open Hillcrest again like a decade ago. That or one of the streetcar garages.

Hillcrest is always nice. Love seeing all the different buses and streetcars that they have there. I don't anticipate seeing Hillcrest open in September again for a while. Greenwood is good as well, same with Leslie. Lower bay and that truck maintenance place that can be seen when riding on the 161 are boring to me.

I mean, even if you waived the requirement for something to be in the inner city so that many people can hit it up (which I don't buy for a second... there are plenty of participating locations outside of downtown), could they not have done Russell or Greenwood or Leslie as they did in the years past? 

• Thanks 1

This was probably close to 10 years ago.  The TTC had multiple locations for Doors Open and the most off the beaten path was McCowan Carhouse.  I went to that one because I figured it would be a rare opportunity to get up close and look over the ICTS equipment before it disappeared since the plan was to make the RT last through the 2015 Pan Am Games and then shut it down as soon as those were over and begin demolishing to build the LRT line.  Obviously, the RT's lasting a lot longer than anybody expected at the time but that was still a rare chance to have a behind the scenes look at it, the TTC did an excellent job with displays of parts that form the whole ICTS package, and the turnout was great so obviously the idea that this sort of thing has to be located right downtown in Latte Central is a total crock.

If anything, doing events in the downtown core only would be extremely counterproductive because it would mean there's nothing happening locally for anyone else and would only lend even more credibility to the already widely held belief that the inner suburbs are being shafted by downtown.  The city does not need to do any more to fan the flames of that divisiveness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

<https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/05/02/ford-government-tables-legislation-to-take-over-new-toronto-transit-projects.html>

toronto_subway.jpg
The Ontario PC government introduced legislation Thursday that would give it sweeping powers to assume control of new Toronto transit projects. This marks a significant step in the province’s ...
www.thestar.com

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, drum118 said:

<https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/05/02/ford-government-tables-legislation-to-take-over-new-toronto-transit-projects.html>

toronto_subway.jpg
The Ontario PC government introduced legislation Thursday that would give it sweeping powers to assume control of new Toronto transit projects. This marks a significant step in the province’s ...
www.thestar.com

A damn protester

02F6B444-A1C3-4000-A539-A8DBEBC034E0.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Benton Harper said:

I believe they have the legal right to protest.  Some posters here are also not in favour, would you also deny them their rights???  Asking for a friend

I know that was little excessive, but I don’t think the government should call the OPP for that because they need to know that people are angry on the government..

They are basically ignoring and ‘fuck the people’ right now

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Because that's a mature reaction....

Dan

20 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

I know that was little excessive, but I don’t think the government should call the OPP for that because they need to know that people are angry on the government..

They are basically ignoring and ‘fuck the people’ right now

Name me a government that actually listens to the people, and NO, none of these "open houses/forums" count as the decision has already been made

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Name me a government that actually listens to the people, and NO, none of these "open houses/forums" count as the decision has already been made

Absolutely.  The thing a lot of people forget is any kind of legislation has a fairly lengthy lead time.  Consider the upload bill, for example.  It's been introduced in legislature and passed first reading already.  The consultations and discussions with the city aren't even over yet so the government was clearly designing the legislation and writing it up while the consultations were in the early stages if not before they began, and quite possibly before the idea was mentioned publicly.  That right there means the decisions have already been made.  That in turn means the any consultations, public input forums, whatever is window dressing to legitimize something the government's already decided to do anyways.  This is if they're playing nicely too as opposed to outright breaking campaign promises.

3 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

I believe they have the legal right to protest.  Some posters here are also not in favour, would you also deny them their rights???  Asking for a friend

Unfortunately, some people would.  Anything less than meek acquiescence can and has resulted in people getting phonecalls at home from the president of the Toronto Transportation Society with lectures about how not being quiet and taking it in total silence is "unprofessional".

• Like 1